HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Move Koltsov to Centre

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 12:36 PM
Puckhound

vCash: 500
Move Koltsov to Centre

After watching this kid live several times and on TV I'm convinced he's a future NHL star. The problem is that he should be playing centre. His lack of size will just not allow him to excell at defence except on the PP.

If he played centre it would allow him to roam around reading the play, stealing the puck, making individual rushes etc etc. Stuff he has already proven he can do extremely well. He would be free to do what he's good at. Let the wingers and D-men worry about defence. The kid has a truckload of talent, but it's going to go mostly to waste if the switch to centre doesn't happen IMHO.

What do you all think????

Old
10-20-2003, 12:44 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhound
After watching this kid live several times and on TV I'm convinced he's a future NHL star. The problem is that he should be playing centre. His lack of size will just not allow him to excell at defence except on the PP.

If he played centre it would allow him to roam around reading the play, stealing the puck, making individual rushes etc etc. Stuff he has already proven he can do extremely well. He would be free to do what he's good at. Let the wingers and D-men worry about defence. The kid has a truckload of talent, but it's going to go mostly to waste if the switch to centre doesn't happen IMHO.

What do you all think????
I suggested perhaps moving him to forward sometime down the road during the preseason and got laughed at

I say give smyl some time to try and develop his defensive game. He seems to be bleeding offensive skill so if that doesn't work, why not give him a shot as a forward?

Old
10-20-2003, 01:39 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I think at worst, he'll be another Rafalski.. he's gonna make it into the NHL for sure, he has the raw talent and he has the drive, he just needs to get in shape.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:36 PM
Impossibles

Considering he had the tourney's best +/- at last year's WJC, i think keeping him on D is best for him.

Size helps, but stick skills and positioning can overcome that. Jovo doesn't have exceptional size, and he seems to be doing ok.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:07 PM
LaVal

Koltsov may not be very tall but he's got a wide frame he has yet to fill. he'll easily top the 200 lb mark when he grows up

Old
10-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Puckhound

The kid has moves I've never seen before. He's just so good with the puck and seeing the ice etc. I hope they don't ruin him trying to turn him into a responsible defenceman.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:58 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Last time I checked 6'0 isnt short by any strech of the imagination.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:13 PM
orcatown

Don't think he is actually 6'. Certainly does not have NHL size. That said, he is showing very well in Manitoba.

Last season I compared him, style-wise, to Zubov. I'm now more than convinced that the comparison is correct. He is a very clever player with a instinctive ability to move the puck to the right player and right area to create offense. Just very deceptive and skilled.

In time he will, as Zubov does, make other people look silly. He is a special player who, in time, will be one that will be able to control the pace of the game. However, you're going to have to live with some less than stellar defensive play. Without out the puck he tends to coast around trying to pick off passes and stick check people. Ocassionally he'll look to catch someone unawares and give him a good shot. Once he has the puck, however, he becomes an real danger. He is very creative and good at exploiting any opportunity.

I think that once he gets a little stronger he will play in the NHL and he could be excellent.

I would be dead against moving him to center. A player like Koltsov has a much better chance of controlling the game from the back end. Defensemen have a lot more open ice, on the offense, than centers do. It 's that open ice that player like Koltsov can exploit. His skills are attuned to that-not playing center. At this point I see nothing to suggest he move to forward. In fact I believe this would really mess up a prominsing career.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Yammer

Koltsov may be listed at 6' in one guide. I've seen him at 5'11" 187lbs in the Hockey News.

Anyway, it's all fudgework -- players (or their agents) know of the prejudice against the smaller guy and routinely add an inch or two.

The point is that Koltsov, if he makes it as a dman, will be among the shortest. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Zhitnik, Rafalski, Kasparitiis, and Sweeney as sub 6-footers.

Then again, how many converted D men make it as forwards? (McSorley, Walker, Wendel Clark...hm...)

Old
10-21-2003, 09:35 AM
jeffbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer
Koltsov may be listed at 6' in one guide. I've seen him at 5'11" 187lbs in the Hockey News.

Anyway, it's all fudgework -- players (or their agents) know of the prejudice against the smaller guy and routinely add an inch or two.

The point is that Koltsov, if he makes it as a dman, will be among the shortest. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Zhitnik, Rafalski, Kasparitiis, and Sweeney as sub 6-footers.

Then again, how many converted D men make it as forwards? (McSorley, Walker, Wendel Clark...hm...)
Funny thing about players who get converted from d to forward, always seem to be "tough guys". You mentioned Walker, Clark above. Canucks had Strudwick, Robertsson (gee remember him!!!??), and now Komarniski in the minors. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a purely skilled d moving up to forward (Clark was skilled and tough ).

And just because Koltsov may have defensive shortcomings, I don't think should mean he moves. I say leave him on the backline and hope he devlops along the lines of Markov -- who may be the same or similar size wise.

Lots of guys Koltsov's size are playing D: Timonen, Rafalski, Sweeney, Markov, Housley, Zubov. If you have supreme skill and smarts, you'll make it. And I think Kirill will.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:57 PM
Mole ii

Jeez..he isnt that small. I saw him at Gm place and he looked almost indentical to Jason King but wider like matt cooke. Also he isnt your average 'soft' russian player...like orcaguy said, he likes to hit.

The second coming of Matt cooke perhaps? only more skilled and a defenseman

Old
10-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Koltsov will struggle with the size, but his talent is unreal. I cannot wait to see this guy in Vancouver. I've been comparing him to Zubov as well, and it seems about right-only he will actually lay out big hits

Old
10-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Vman

I say leave Koltsov at D, it's hard to move from a D to a forward (i think).
Just look at Mojzis, he's about the same size as Koltsov and he has caught the eyes of many Canucks' coaching staff, including Crawford.

Maybe I havn't seen him play as much (the only time was the televised Moose game last week). Does Koltsov have the "Morrison type" speed and how is his stickhandling and playmaking skills?

Closed Thread