HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official GDT: 1/19/06 NY Rangers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2006, 03:25 AM
frohli44

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to frohli44 Send a message via AIM to frohli44
Official GDT: 1/19/06 NY Rangers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

vs.

(25-14-7, 57 pts, 5th EC) at (11-26-9, 31 pts, 15th EC)

Gametime: 7:30 PM
Media: MSG, AM 1560

Penguins Statistical Leaders:
Goals- Sidney Crosby (22)
Assists- Sidney Crosby (29)
Points- Sidney Crosby (51)
+/- Lasse Pirjeta (+4)
PIM- Sidney Crosby (70)

Rangers Statistical Leaders:
Goals- Jaromir Jagr (29)
Assists- Jaromir Jagr (40)
Points- Jaromir Jagr (69)
+/- Michal Rozsival (+19)
PIM- Rozsival, Kasparaitis (52)

Penguins Team Statistics:
Goals For Per Game- 2.76 (22nd)
Goals Against Per Game- 3.98 (30th)
Power Play Percentage – 17.2% (16th)
Penalty Killing Percentage- 78.4% (30th)

Rangers Team Statistics:
Goals For Per Game- 3.04 (15th)
Goals Against Per Game- 2.59 (5th)
Power Play Percentage - 15.8% (20th)
Penalty Killing Percentage- 84.9% (5th)

Penguins Injuries:
Mario Lemieux: Irregular Heartbeat
Brooks Orpik: Broken Foot
Jocelyn Thibault: Hip
Ryan Vandenbussche: Cervical strain

Rangers Injuries:
Blair Betts: MCL sprain (5-7 Weeks)
Darius Kasparaitis: MCL Sprain (Questionable)

Penguins Team Notes:
Acquired former Ranger Eric Cairns on Thursday in exchange for a 6th round draft pick.
Guillaume Lefebvre was called up from the AHL and will join the team in time for tonight’s game.
Top Forward Ziggy Palffy retired yesterday.

Rangers Team Notes:
The team did not practice for the second straight day on Thursday due to power outages at the practice facility. They'll have a lengthened morning skate prior to tonight's game in Pittsburgh.
Renney would not say who would start in goal, but was leaning towards starting Kevin Weekes. Newsday

Probable Goaltenders:

Kevin Weekes vs. Marc-Andre Fleury
(8-8, 3.11 GAA, .887 SV%) vs. (5-13, 3.19 GAA, .901 SV%)

Last edited by frohli44: 01-19-2006 at 03:34 AM.
Old
01-19-2006, 03:27 AM
frohli44

This game tonite is a MUST WIN. I think Renney will indeed start Weekes to see if it was just the jitters, but we can't afford to lose this game, so if he starts off shaky, I pull him ASAP. It will also be interesting to see what Renney does with Hossa/Hollweg as we might want the physical edge, but Hossa did net two goals the other night. Also, if Kasper isn't going to play, I think we need Hollweg in there. LETS GO BOYS!!!!

Old
01-19-2006, 03:32 AM
GarretJoseph

YESS!! the game is on reg tv. I'm leaving for Orlando at 10am, this is sweet, I thought I was gonna miss this one.

Old
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
TheRedressor

Jagr is due for a big night.

Old
01-19-2006, 06:07 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by frohli44
This game tonite is a MUST WIN. I think Renney will indeed start Weekes to see if it was just the jitters, but we can't afford to lose this game, so if he starts off shaky, I pull him ASAP. It will also be interesting to see what Renney does with Hossa/Hollweg as we might want the physical edge, but Hossa did net two goals the other night. Also, if Kasper isn't going to play, I think we need Hollweg in there. LETS GO BOYS!!!!
I say put hollweg in, even if we have to bench a guy like Niemenen or Ward. Against the BJ's we were flat all night. After the first goal in the last game it was obvious weekes was not sharp, after the second I was screaming to put Lundy in and try to salvage the game. If he starts off poorly tonight I hope Lundy gets the call before too much damage is done.

Also whatever happened to not playing the goalie that lost the last game? I understand Lundy cant play every game but we need the points at this stage and I dont think Weekes is capable of getting them for us.

Old
01-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Pogo

One word for todays game: REVENGE!
I can't even fathom any better way to get back at the refs for last meetings debacle. Just complete ******** the way the last game went down, I'm just glad that ESPN and other sites have noticed the whiny Crosby syndrome and commented about it.

Old
01-19-2006, 06:29 AM
ivrydov

rumble

Looks like Therrien is getting ready to rumble here. First Cairns and now Lefebvre. Naturally Renney will not dress Orr and not even Hollweg. And even Kaspar may not be there. As long as the Rangers don't mind getting hit all night without being able to retaliate and still play their game, I suppose it doesn't matter. We'll find out.

Old
01-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Pogo

It's been long discussed on this site, we just have to live with the fact that that isn't our game, we're a finesse team. **** trying to hit and fight them, let's take a big lead in the beginning of the game and put it away. Dov where are you from?

Old
01-19-2006, 07:47 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo
I'm just glad that ESPN and other sites have noticed the whiny Crosby syndrome and commented about it.
Again, just look at who his mentor is.

Old
01-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Pogo

Lemieux was never a little ***** about it though. More importantly he wasn't a diver. He would whine, but the difference between them is that you couldn't stop Mario so most likely his crying was justifiable whereas Sidney may be talented but he isn't as dominant which makes him able to be shutdown without illegal play.

Old
01-19-2006, 08:13 AM
bcrt2000

This is gonna be an ugly game, which ever way it goes. Either Penguins get caught up in penalties and Jagr & co. get their PP working for them, or the Penguins will be charged to play well just because there's so much crap going on over there they want to forget it. I really hope Weekes isn't in net, because Crosby will undress him silly.

Old
01-19-2006, 08:37 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Lemieux was never a little ***** about it though.
That is exactly what he was.

"More importantly he wasn't a diver."

When presented with the opportunity, he was.

"He would whine, but the difference between them is that you couldn't stop Mario so most likely his crying was justifiable "

So becuase he is great, that makes his whining justifiable? Sorry, I could not disgree more. Maryo thought that there needed to be a special set of rules only for him.

Old
01-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Levitate

yeah, definatly a must win game if the rangers want to maintain their position in the standings...gotta play much better than they have recently and (once again!) cut down on the boneheaded plays, get through the neutral zone cleaner, and get to the front of the net.

and weekes...goddammit weekes, you better be more prepared tonight. i think it really hinders him to have not gotten any playing time recently, but he's gotta be ready and he has to not let in soft goals. the pens don't have palffy anymore and that helps in terms of being afraid of their offense, but they still have plenty of guys who can score. and honestly, if the rangers can't exploit their D then there's just no excuse

Old
01-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
That is exactly what he was.

"More importantly he wasn't a diver."

When presented with the opportunity, he was.

"He would whine, but the difference between them is that you couldn't stop Mario so most likely his crying was justifiable "

So becuase he is great, that makes his whining justifiable? Sorry, I could not disgree more. Maryo thought that there needed to be a special set of rules only for him.
What I meant was he was *****ing but probably for a good reason, IE he was getting ***** slapped. Unfortunately a "set of rules" is usually what happens with the great players. As much as I hate Pitts. I have to admit that Mario is one of the greats. Just like in basketball the good players get calls and get away with more than others. I'm not justifiying it, but that's how it goes. With that said, I believe that if anyone should be able to be a whiner it should be someone who can warrant such behavior, because it will always be there. In a perfect league the refs wouldn't **** up and it would called down the middle. Since that's a fantasy, whiners will always exist. After that I would say this basically when Crosby = Lemiuex, the whining will at least make sense.

Old
01-19-2006, 08:56 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

2 Days without practice?!!!?? They have 2 days OFF during the biggest stretch of the season and they cant find a way to have 1 practice!!??....

i dont know about this. This scares me. In one way i feel like it could be a godsend because no one will be overthinking the powerplay and systems, but in another they might be kinda sluggish and the extended morning skate might wear them down emotionally and physically... Lets hope not. I hope the two pure days off has them coming out fresh and on fire. I wanna see them FLY tonight. They havent skated in 3 days and these are 2 HUGE points tonight.

Old
01-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Levitate

on the other hand, if they're not applying what they do in practice to the games, maybe it's good to take some time off and do some team meetings and go over strategy, tape, etc instead

just a thought, though i'm not a fan of ditching practices for multiple days

Old
01-19-2006, 09:32 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
2 Days without practice?!!!?? They have 2 days OFF during the biggest stretch of the season and they cant find a way to have 1 practice!!??....
Well it's not like they intentionally gave them the day off yesterday...the power outage made the ice too mushy to skate on so it was something out of the coaches control.

Old
01-19-2006, 09:45 AM
ivrydov

Quote:
let's take a big lead in the beginning of the game and put it away. Dov where are you from?
Someone tell that to Weekes if he starts.

I'm in Yokneam.

Old
01-19-2006, 10:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Well it's not like they intentionally gave them the day off yesterday...the power outage made the ice too mushy to skate on so it was something out of the coaches control.
Youre the NEW YORK RANGERS. You find a rink to skate in. Theres been plenty of occasions when my COLLEGE team had to find a rink and we did. Seems a little lazy to me.

Unless they had some really great off ice ideas... but you couldnt get everyone there and run over tape and strategy - because there was no power!

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-19-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old
01-19-2006, 10:32 AM
HockeyFish24

I cant begin to imagine what Kevin Weeks has done to deserve yet another start today. This board constantly debates who should play based on effort and merit. Why must we be forced to watch the Rangers throw away points to garbage teams because we can't get our goaltending situation in order. I am going to be pissed if he starts tonight. He hasn't earned the playing time that he has been awarded and I'm tired of handing over points in the standings because we are worried about his feelings or confidence. Lundqvist = win.

Old
01-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Youre the NEW YORK RANGERS. You find a rink to skate in. Theres been plenty of occasions when my COLLEGE team had to find a rink and we did. Seems a little lazy to me.

Unless they had some really great off ice ideas... but you couldnt get everyone there and run over tape and strategy - because there was no power!

Yeah, exactly, the Rangers are NOT your college team, you can't take these guys to just any rink, think about it.

Old
01-19-2006, 11:02 AM
rickyrod

orr needs to be dressed. we can't have strudwick going with cairns, it'll only end badly like with scott, because you know anyone who breaths near crosby is going to have a visit from cairns.

Old
01-19-2006, 11:05 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Yeah, exactly, the Rangers are NOT your college team, you can't take these guys to just any rink, think about it.

Yes! thats why money talks and ******** walks!

Old
01-19-2006, 11:17 AM
frohli44

Tonite is a great oppurtunity for us to get things jumpstarted...hopefully we can blow the Penguins out and get some confidence back and start a good streak before the Olympics...

Old
01-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Yes! thats why money talks and ******** walks!
There are legal issues, safety issues, etc....

Closed Thread