HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jon Sim to Florida for a 2007 6th Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Art Vandelay

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Jon Sim to Florida for a 2007 6th Round Pick

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have traded forward Jon Sim to the Florida Panthers in exchange for a sixth round pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, according to General Manager Bob Clarke.

“Jon was one of 14 forwards that we have now and was the guy who probably was not going to play very much,” said Clarke in making the announcement. “It did not make any sense for us to carry his contract on our payroll. We like Jon. He worked really hard for the (Philadelphia) Phantoms last year and worked really hard to earn a spot with us. We would have liked to keep him, but with the salary cap we could not financially do that.”

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/p...rchive/2407.asp

Old
01-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Jester

Clarkie is preparing for trade warfare.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Dr Love

No loss. Frees up a little room under the cap and undoes the log jam of lousy wingers. I would have rather have seen Savage go, but I ain't complaining.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
No loss. Frees up a little room under the cap and undoes the log jam of lousy wingers. I would have rather have seen Savage go, but I ain't complaining.
wouldn't be shocked to see that happen at some point.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
wouldn't be shocked to see that happen at some point.
I wouldn't either.

With Clarke giving Primeau a return deadline of the end of the Olympics, and a couple hundred thousand dollars shed in this deal, I have little doubt that if Primeau can't come back the Flyers are going after Doug Weight. Pure speculation, but it seems pretty obvious.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Can't afford league minimum player = you haven't done anything since preseason, don't let the door hit you in the ***.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

Ah im loving it! I cant believe all we got for him was a 6th round pick in 2007, that must suck to realize that your trade value is practically nothing. Last Round in a draft 2 years from now.

DIdnt Therian get us 2 picks?

Old
01-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost
Ah im loving it! I cant believe all we got for him was a 6th round pick in 2007, that must suck to realize that your trade value is practically nothing. Last Round in a draft 2 years from now.

DIdnt Therian get us 2 picks?
Correction, 2nd to last round but since it's the Panthers that will tranlsate to a near fifth round pick.

Therien was traded for an either round pick.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Can't afford league minimum player = you haven't done anything since preseason, don't let the door hit you in the ***.
Yeah, that line struck me as odd, because the Flyers aren't in any kind of cap trouble. There are other ways of politely saying "he no longer serves a purpose on this team" but PR was never Bob's strong point.

Old
01-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Yeah, that line struck me as odd, because the Flyers aren't in any kind of cap trouble. There are other ways of politely saying "he no longer serves a purpose on this team" but PR was never Bob's strong point.
I think hes clearing as much cap space as he can for a major trade at the deadline.

Old
01-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
oh,ok,now it makes sense.

Old
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I think hes clearing as much cap space as he can for a major trade at the deadline.
Which I already said. My point in that post was that Clarke was really searching for something nice to say.

Old
01-23-2006, 03:04 PM
pelts35.com

To quote the SNL skit with Helen Hunt and David Spade as flight attendants...

"Buh Bye"

On the other hand, it was better than getting nothing for him if he was placed on waivers.

Old
01-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

i see Stevenson, and Savage getting traded for picks or waived....Savage could i believe get picked up, im not so sure about Stevenson.

Old
01-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Lupul*

Cool, there must be another trade brewing or perhaps Preems is returning soon.

Old
01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
mercury

I am thinking we will pick up one more decent defenseman, a guy who is a #4 on a lesser team, but will be a #5-6 for us with Desjardins, who will (hopefully) come back healthy after the Olympics. This probably will not happen until a week or two before the trade deadline, because of our current cap situation.

Old
01-23-2006, 06:13 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
i wouldn't be so tough on him. He was an extremely hard worker but if you expected him to be an NHL calibre player then you were misguided. Can't fault the guy, he gave it his all but just flat out wasn't good enough.

Old
01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
pinoyboy2ptO

He kinda reminded me of Marty Murray. Not sure if that's accurate or not...

Old
01-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Gert B Frobe

he works hard, has good hands, good hockey sense and a decent shot but just too slow for a small guy.

Old
01-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Clash*

I'd like to thank you for royally f***in' Florida. Only Keenan would be stupid enough to tradea pick, any pick, for a guy the caliber of Sim.

Old
01-23-2006, 10:58 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Looks like I am in the minority but I actually liked Sim. He was a pest, he was good at stirring up the other team. In some of the games we lost in the past week or so, when he played he looked to be the only one hustling out there. I don't think Hitch gave him enough ice time to show he could stay. He was on a good line but the magical lines ended that real quick. He played well with Handzus and Richards.

Oh well, best of luck Simmer.

Old
01-24-2006, 11:28 PM
goodrev

i liked sim, thought he was a gritty player who had very little nose for the puck. He would be in prime position to score all the time but unless forsberg/handzus was feeding it directly to his stick he had giant boulders for hands and couldnt finish it. i stated before that this team has all grit and no shot, he is a prime example. Great move, clearing cap space and moving a guy they would lose through waivers if they sent him to the minors... he was only eating up salary being a healthy scratch.

above someone said now savage and stevenson need to go for picks, only thing wrong with this is that no one in the NHL will want savage, i dont even want him on the team and we have him and stevenson is overpaid and injury prone so good luck finding a taker there... even being so and with him getting whipped by cairns yesterday i would still rather have him than brashear being he isnt afraid to actually throw em down.

i remember reading about how during the lockout brashear played in a goon league, and got suspended for a long time after destroying a guy in a fight then beating him more on the ice after he won, if i recall there was legal action taken... can anyone find out if he was required to take a anger management or if his behavior is being reviewed or watched for violent tendencies? that or the fact that he simply doesnt have it anymore are the only reasons i could think of that would explain why he doesnt fight anymore, i am through blaming it on hitch because other people on the team fight (mike richards), and its sad when you are paying a guy to stand up and be a heavyweight and all he does is take stupid penalties and force small players to stand up for themselves

Old
01-25-2006, 02:04 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
I'd like to thank you for royally f***in' Florida. Only Keenan would be stupid enough to tradea pick, any pick, for a guy the caliber of Sim.
Sim is better than your typical AHL player. He is a decent fourth line player making league minimum. The value of a sixth round pick is next to nothing, since probably 9 out of 10 of those guys never make it in the NHL. Honestly I would not be too upset If I were a Florida fan. There are probably four or five guys on Florida's active roster that he is a little better than, so consider the deal a minor improvement for a draft pick which would probably not have amounted to anything anyway.

Closed Thread