HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason King?

View Poll Results: ???
25-30 goal top six forward 27 58.70%
10-15 energy 3rd liner 14 30.43%
4th liner/AHL tweener 2 4.35%
AHL veteran 2 4.35%
Think Josh Holden but without the offence 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Jason King?

What do you guys think he'll top out as?

Old
10-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Impossibles

To early to tell.

He has good finishing skills, but doesn't create much on his own. His productivity will be limited to who he plays with.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Peter Griffin

I think King will either make it as a goal scorer on a scoring line, or he won't make it at all. He's not all that great defensively and he's not a very good checker. He's got a good shot and a nose for the net. He actually reminds me a lot of a young Brett Hull, but obviously a lot less talented...

Old
10-20-2003, 02:46 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
I think he will be a third liner.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:52 PM
evman150*

AHL guy. He would be lucky to be a tweener.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
AHL guy. He would be lucky to be a tweener.
Care to elaborate? Or just another chance to bash a Canuck?

Old
10-20-2003, 06:20 PM
LaVal

King solving our PP troubles with a screen resulting in a goal... and a goal. granted it's early... but he's got some chemistry with the twins. if he can keep it up he can be a bonified 2nd liner within the next couple of years.

Old
10-20-2003, 06:41 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Care to elaborate? Or just another chance to bash a Canuck?
Just another chance to bash a canuck.

:p

Nah. He has his nights. Like tonight he has looked pretty decent, but you don't see enough of that. He just doesn't seem to have much skill, and his defensive play doesn't seem to be that special. He does take his lumps in front of the net though, I'll give him that.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
Just another chance to bash a canuck.

:p

Nah. He has his nights. Like tonight he has looked pretty decent, but you don't see enough of that. He just doesn't seem to have much skill, and his defensive play doesn't seem to be that special. He does take his lumps in front of the net though, I'll give him that.
His skill is decieving. He's more of a 'right place at the right time' type scorer. He did score more than 60 goals in the Q, so he can score. He also works his a$s off, since he's impressed the coaches so much in training camp...his first year, Burke had him pencilled in to go the ECHL, but he worked his way to the moose. This year, nobody was looking for him to make the team, and here he is.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Mizral

This was difficult to vote. You didn't have a 20 - 25 goal man, which is what I think he'll end up as.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

King is good defensively, what are you guys talking about? Not Arvedsson good, but as good as the Sedin's anyways, and I think they are above average defensively.

It would be great as a top 6, but I don't know if he can maintain that type of scoring. I'd say max potential top end 3rd liner. Unless he plays with really good linemates that is.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
King is good defensively, what are you guys talking about? Not Arvedsson good, but as good as the Sedin's anyways, and I think they are above average defensively.

It would be great as a top 6, but I don't know if he can maintain that type of scoring. I'd say max potential top end 3rd liner. Unless he plays with really good linemates that is.
King is average defensivly. He backchecks, but he still makes rookie mistakes. He is VERY good defensivly if you compare him to other rookie forwards.

What surprised me was his physical game. I had NO idea he had that dimension to his play.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Riven

I agree with Impossibles, King is a deceptive player.

He is a very good skater. But, his ability to read the play and time his moves to be where he is needed, overshadows his quickness. To me he looks a bit like Tony Tanti with wheels.

The game that he sat out, and Crawford went with Ruutu on the Sedin line, I thought the twins were less effective on the attack. In tonight's game, against Buffalo, the Sedin line had the Sabres pinned in their own end for much of the time. King was darting in and out of the corners on the cycle, meshing perfectly with the twins.

The bottom line: I think King will stick. That, in itself, is quite an accomplishment for such a young player.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
King is average defensivly. He backchecks, but he still makes rookie mistakes. He is VERY good defensivly if you compare him to other rookie forwards.

What surprised me was his physical game. I had NO idea he had that dimension to his play.
I guess I disagree-haven't seen any defensive errors on his part, although granted I have not seen each game. I certainly don't worry about him making mistakes, put it that way

Old
10-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

king's potential

When he was drafted, I figured King would almost certainly not make the team. Not even after 3-4 years of seasoning.

Then he showed that he could score at a rate of about a goal a game. Even though that was in the Q, I upgraded him to a longshot.

Then he made the Moose in his first pro season, AND scored 20 goals, as well as playing a pretty solid two way game. That obviously caught the eye of management/coaching, as he got a latter half of the season call-up. He became less of a longshot and someone with a genuine chance.

This year he was set (in my mind) to play another year in Manitoba, but he showed up in training camp in top shape and seemingly having added a bit of quickness to his skating. Now he's got what? 2 goals and 3 assists? Who is to say that he won't continue to surprise?

IMO King is someone who could become a bona fide sniper in this league especially if he continues to have chemistry with the Sedins. Let's face it, he has developed far faster than most people expected. He doesn't look like he does any one particular things superbly (except get into a good position to direct the puck into the net) but he does everything fairly well. I don't see why he should be a flash in the pan. If he continues to develop his game, he could be a genuine top 6 scorer, capable of 20-30 goals a season, without being a defensive liability, which he isn't.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

King has a willingness to hang onto the puck and make the smart move to create space in a scrum, which I think is pretty special. Ability to take a beating a plus, and he just seems to collect those garbage goals, which is no mean feat in this league.

He'll top out as a 20-25 goal, 40-50 point guy.

He is by no means a defensive liability.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:51 PM
orcatown

Evman - Right now King is miles ahead of Jani Rita. He was better in the AHL last year and he has moved further ahead this year. If you are going to say King doesn't make it then you must concede that Rita doesn't either. Two guys the same age - I would choose King and so would anyone else watching these young players.

Actually King is showing real poise and maturity. Has, as mentioned, a good sense of the game. He is deceptively fast and has good hands. Also plays well along the boards. Still needs more strenght and needs to further improve speed. But right now he is getting there and is doing something when does.

The jury on King will, of course, remains out. If he can continue at the level he has shown so far this season then will have an excellent rookie year. It will be the type of rookie year that suggest he will have a solid NHL career.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:58 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
He'll be a 20-25 goal scorer MAX in his NHL career. Too bad you left that out sir.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:13 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I think he earned his keep for a while tonight

Closed Thread