HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part II

Old
10-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Pretty hard to circle one exercise to call it "best" for any muscle.

Since I've started training it was always about having big arms... I've tried every freaking thing around and after a decade of semi serious to serious lifting, I'm at a mediocre 16 inches... And to be honest ? I don't give a damn anymore I haven't done a single curl or anything close to it in something like a year and they're pretty much the same as they always were. My triceps got bigger since I've been following powerlifting programs, so they're still pretty much the same size.

Kinda does suck, because the first thing people look for when they know you're so intense about fitness is your Biceps... and when I have a semi loose Tshirt I look basically like a normal dude.

I get the "All that effort for those small arms ?" a lot. (Breaks my heart every damn time.)

Do you employ chin ups as your "Core" lift on arm day ? That's perfect, IMO.
I should've phrased it differently and said "one of the best for your biceps".

As for me, I currently don't have an "arm day" I'm not bodybuilding just trying to lose fat and gain muscle. Currently I'm doing full body workouts with circuits. It's brutal. I'm thinking at the end of the month I'll start looking at switching things up.

10-08-2016, 09:56 PM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
Quote:
I don't think I'm being unrealistic, really. I did think he was stronger than .5 pull up, though.
Hey hey hey, I'll have you know I make up for it with my wit and sexual adventurousness.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2016, 01:37 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
I don't think I'm being unrealistic, really. I did think he was stronger than .5 pull up, though.
Well, put your theory to test, ask people who can't do one pull up to do negatives, see how many of them can do 8 seconds eccentric tempo and for how many reps.

I'm just speaking from my own experience, they come down real fast

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well, put your theory to test, ask people who can't do one pull up to do negatives, see how many of them can do 8 seconds eccentric tempo and for how many reps.

I'm just speaking from my own experience, they come down real fast
But that's not exactly what I said. I said BETWEEN whatever you can hold and 8 seconds.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2016, 07:02 PM
DAChampion

I have had a major cheat week on diet. At least I did cardio.

On Tuesday, I restart dieting.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2016, 07:51 PM
Andrei79

Any recommandations for gym flooring ? It's for a garage gym. I want to protect my floor for deadlifts up to 500lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I have had a major cheat week on diet. At least I did cardio.

On Tuesday, I restart dieting.
Don't sweat it. It's all about the long term.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei79 View Post
Any recommandations for gym flooring ? It's for a garage gym. I want to protect my floor for deadlifts up to 500lbs.

Why not go for a platform instead of just flooring ? You can even DIY one.

Old
10-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

It's cool that I had about 7000 calories today right?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2016, 08:05 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:

Maybe use normal gym flooring with bumper plate? Bumper plate are usually bigger than other plates, so only the bumper will hit the floor. Since you have to buy plates, maybe it's cheaper and more effective.

And Mrb1p, is there advantages to use platform? I'm wondering...

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2016, 08:07 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It's cool that I had about 7000 calories today right?
That happens sometimes.

At least your toilet bowl isn't a sentient being.

Old
10-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
That happens sometimes.

At least your toilet bowl isn't a sentient being.
This week is going to be death. And I knew it would be.

Today, thanksgiving. Later this week, my birthday with a bunch of drunks. Then it's two days of celebrating 20th reunion... it's gonna be a baaaad week.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2016, 08:10 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
It's pretty much what I'll be doing. Plywood under the rack, rubber mats where I'll deadlift. For sure going to be making it myself, premade platforms are hella expensive and I need to level my floor anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Maybe use normal gym flooring with bumper plate? Bumper plate are usually bigger than other plates, so only the bumper will hit the floor. Since you have to buy plates, maybe it's cheaper and more effective.

I don't need bumper plates. It's neither cheaper or more effective for me honestly.

Should've been more specific: I need rubber mats that aren't horse stall mats.

Old
10-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

How do you deadlift though ? I completely drop the weight at the top with minimal muscle tention in it and it still won't break the floor... When I go over 4 plates I just jam a mat under my bar, yoga mats.

But I do lift with Olympic bumper plates.

Why don't you want horse stall mats?

Old
10-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
How do you deadlift though ? I completely drop the weight at the top with minimal muscle tention in it and it still won't break the floor... When I go over 4 plates I just jam a mat under my bar, yoga mats.

I don't drop my deadlifts. I'm still undecided about bumpers vs normal plates. It's not that big of a price difference (between 250-500$ ) but I don't really see what they'd bring me that normal plates wouldn't. They're so thick too.

You train at home ? Garage ?

I don't want the smell that comes with horse stall mats.

Old
10-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
It's pretty much what I'll be doing. Plywood under the rack, rubber mats where I'll deadlift. For sure going to be making it myself, premade platforms are hella expensive and I need to level my floor anyways.

I don't need bumper plates. It's neither cheaper or more effective for me honestly.

Should've been more specific: I need rubber mats that aren't horse stall mats.
What is your floor in the garage? Concrete? Then you don't need mats if all you want them for is deadlifting.
Get some bumper plates if you feel you'll be dropping the bar a lot, that's all you need for DL.

Old
10-10-2016, 09:11 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I don't drop my deadlifts. I'm still undecided about bumpers vs normal plates. It's not that big of a price difference (between 250-500$ ) but I don't really see what they'd bring me that normal plates wouldn't. They're so thick too.

You can get thin bumper plates.

Old
10-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:

I train in two gyms. An olympic weightlifting gym, with high quality Eleiko equipment and another commercial gym where they have reguilar rubber plates (Just coated with rubber) AND bumper plates. Generally like to use BOTH at the same time, so that I can fit more than 500 pounds on the bar and that it's not all the blunt impact of the rubber coated plates when I "drop" it.

I'd buy bumper plates if I was you. They're just more practical.

But then again... I got into olympic weightlifting so that may sway my opinion.

Quote:
What is your floor in the garage? Concrete? Then you don't need mats if all you want them for is deadlifting.
Get some bumper plates if you feel you'll be dropping the bar a lot, that's all you need for DL.
I wouldn't deadlift with steel plates on concrete though. I'd bet a drop will **** up the concrete, the plates AND the bar. (

Quote:
You can get thin bumper plates.
But those are more expensive, I believe ?

Old
10-11-2016, 08:16 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Oh guys, I can really help on this one.

#1 : I got my gym flooring last week, and it's top quality. Very low odor, perfect grip, etc. I got it there : https://www.landmarkathletics.com/fl.../home-gym.html

It would be my first choice.

#2 : You need a lifting platform regardless. Not having one would be a massive mistake. BTW, I just did mine today. I took 5 high grade 4 X 8 0.5inch plywood sheets, some screws, wood paste and 2 secure step rubber (3 X 4, 0.5 inch). I cut the rubber in 4 smaller parts of 3 x 2 and put them as you see on the picture. This will leave me 1 foot at both ends of the platform for something that's higher than 0.5 inch so that the bar doesn't roll and break things if I go crazy. (see the picture) BTW, it's super easy to do.

#3 : Yes stall mats stink, and I'm pretty sure it's harmful. Some of them have an insanely strong smell. I bought the secure step recycled rubber. There's a rubber odor to it but it's minimal. I've had them for less than 12 hours and the smell is barely noticable. Available everywhere (rona, home hardware, etc)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161011_174038-min.jpg‎ (991.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by ChemiseBleuHonnete: 10-11-2016 at 08:26 PM.
ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2016, 09:17 PM
DAChampion

Once my cookware makes it, I'm going to try drinking golden milk, it's a recipe involving turmeric powder, coconut oil, black pepper, coconut milk, vanilla, honey, and cinnamon.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...10_golden-milk

Old
10-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiseBleuHonnete View Post
Oh guys, I can really help on this one.

#1 : I got my gym flooring last week, and it's top quality. Very low odor, perfect grip, etc. I got it there : https://www.landmarkathletics.com/fl.../home-gym.html

It would be my first choice.

#2 : You need a lifting platform regardless. Not having one would be a massive mistake. BTW, I just did mine today. I took 5 high grade 4 X 8 0.5inch plywood sheets, some screws, wood paste and 2 secure step rubber (3 X 4, 0.5 inch). I cut the rubber in 4 smaller parts of 3 x 2 and put them as you see on the picture. This will leave me 1 foot at both ends of the platform for something that's higher than 0.5 inch so that the bar doesn't roll and break things if I go crazy. (see the picture) BTW, it's super easy to do.

#3 : Yes stall mats stink, and I'm pretty sure it's harmful. Some of them have an insanely strong smell. I bought the secure step recycled rubber. There's a rubber odor to it but it's minimal. I've had them for less than 12 hours and the smell is barely noticable. Available everywhere (rona, home hardware, etc)
You can cut the price down by taking 4 low grade plywood and one high grade. Anyway, there's only one that will be seen?

Old
10-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
But those are more expensive, I believe ?
They are, but that also adds quality, and if you have those plates then you don't have to worry about anything really as you can drop the bar for any exercise. Well worth the investment.
I'd advise anyone who doesn't have to be super stingy to get those.

Equipment are tools. It makes a big difference when you're cooking in the kitchen (or carving something, or anything other tool-needed reference) when you have quality stuff. Huge difference.

Old
10-12-2016, 08:49 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Well, a chin up is technically a pull up, just different grip, so I don't particularly mind.
Here's a great article about it:
https://breakingmuscle.com/strength-...n-and-analysis

I coach Crossfit, we do a lot of pronated grip work on the bars so I'm just used to it.
Cluster method is great for building strength regardless. You can use it with Chins too, and it's not just for beginners. Great way to get passed plateaus.
Where?

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Where?
I'm in Hong Kong.

Old
10-12-2016, 09:45 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
You can cut the price down by taking 4 low grade plywood and one high grade. Anyway, there's only one that will be seen?
Absolutely. My local home hardware only had high grade in stock so I took it. I guess you could save up to 30-35$ with cheaper plywood.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
They are, but that also adds quality, and if you have those plates then you don't have to worry about anything really as you can drop the bar for any exercise. Well worth the investment.
I'd advise anyone who doesn't have to be super stingy to get those.

Equipment are tools. It makes a big difference when you're cooking in the kitchen (or carving something, or anything other tool-needed reference) when you have quality stuff. Huge difference.
Do tell i have a golds ransom worth of varying chef equipments nothing beats quality.

But as for the plates, youre paying more for the thin profiles, not for the overall quality I belive.

Also. Id still have a hard time dropping those high quality bumper plates on the ground AND the bar.

Id just feel a lot safer with at least small mats or something.

A few dollars to make sure you dont have to Respend thousands seems safe

Last edited by Mrb1p: 10-12-2016 at 11:13 AM.