HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part II

Old
10-12-2016, 06:12 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei79 View Post
Didn't think I would read a post this dumb today. We're all worse off from you taking the time to express your "opinion".
The Adriatic special.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
They are, but that also adds quality, and if you have those plates then you don't have to worry about anything really as you can drop the bar for any exercise. Well worth the investment.
I'd advise anyone who doesn't have to be super stingy to get those.

Equipment are tools. It makes a big difference when you're cooking in the kitchen (or carving something, or anything other tool-needed reference) when you have quality stuff. Huge difference.

You're right. I'll got with the quality bumpers I found. Eventually, I'll buy a nice Eleiko powerlifting set but I'm not at that point yet.

I'll try the sick setup CBH posted too. Didn't know you could get nice rubber mats at Rona lol.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 06:57 PM
The Titan
Auto Perma-Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei79 View Post
You're right. I'll got with the quality bumpers I found. Eventually, I'll buy a nice Eleiko powerlifting set but I'm not at that point yet.

I'll try the sick setup CBH posted too. Didn't know you could get nice rubber mats at Rona lol.
I'll have to check these out at rona. Right now I'm using those colored kids rubber tiles and they are a pain in the butt

The Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 10:04 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
I'm offended you think I don't pride in my body lol. I think I'm in better shape than any meathead out there and in shape for what exactly?? Yes people are entitled to do what they want and live how they want, but I'm also entitled to they think they are being stupid. The same way I find eating contests stupid when I see poeple trying to shove 300 hot dogs down their throat in 90 seconds, I feel the same way when I see somebody deadlifting more than he should. Only harm will come of that.
You cannot put all the "meatheads" in the same category of "stupid". It's not stupid for someone physically ready to achieve a personnal record to try it. To evaluate if someone is stupid to try something, he need to failed to answer yes to both these questions:

1) He/she is physically ready to try it?

2) Does he/she has the knowledge/support to keep the injury risk at a minimum?

Mrb1p seems to be very knowledgable about training and lifting and I trust him he can lift 600 lbs. It's not stupid for him to do it. But me, if I try to lift 600 lbs, it would be very stupid. My deadlift form is not perfect and I'm not genetically made to lift heavy weight. It's probably stupid to even try to lift 300 lbs. It's beyond my limit. I know it. So I don't try it.

And you have to separate stupids acts and acts that don't have tangible meaning. I ran 2 marathons the last pasts years. When will I have the reason to run 42 km in 5 hours. Yes in 5 hours. I'm slow. And it's way more stupid for me to run a marathon in 5 hours than the ones who do it in 3 hours, because my legs hurt as **** and it was a little outside my limit. But I wanted to know if I could finish it. And I did. I suprised myself. And it was awesome. How could anyone say to me I'm stupid to love this pride after pushing my limit if I do it in relatively safe environment?

Adriatic, try to learn why you can't rationalize on that subject. "Meatheads" are normal people, meaning some are stupid, some are not. Some know how to deadlift, some don't.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 11:03 PM
DAChampion

Ironic for someone to hate meatheads on a Habs board.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 11:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
You cannot put all the "meatheads" in the same category of "stupid". It's not stupid for someone physically ready to achieve a personnal record to try it. To evaluate if someone is stupid to try something, he need to failed to answer yes to both these questions:

1) He/she is physically ready to try it?

2) Does he/she has the knowledge/support to keep the injury risk at a minimum?

Mrb1p seems to be very knowledgable about training and lifting and I trust him he can lift 600 lbs. It's not stupid for him to do it. But me, if I try to lift 600 lbs, it would be very stupid. My deadlift form is not perfect and I'm not genetically made to lift heavy weight. It's probably stupid to even try to lift 300 lbs. It's beyond my limit. I know it. So I don't try it.

And you have to separate stupids acts and acts that don't have tangible meaning. I ran 2 marathons the last pasts years. When will I have the reason to run 42 km in 5 hours. Yes in 5 hours. I'm slow. And it's way more stupid for me to run a marathon in 5 hours than the ones who do it in 3 hours, because my legs hurt as **** and it was a little outside my limit. But I wanted to know if I could finish it. And I did. I suprised myself. And it was awesome. How could anyone say to me I'm stupid to love this pride after pushing my limit if I do it in relatively safe environment?

Adriatic, try to learn why you can't rationalize on that subject. "Meatheads" are normal people, meaning some are stupid, some are not. Some know how to deadlift, some don't.
I can't believe I'm going to actually defend Adriatic here but I think he was very specific in what he said. He's talking about the ''meatheads that can't lift weight properly''. He's not talking about the well trained person who lifts 400-500lbs with proper form.

He's talking about the clueless clowns like these guys:

And this one just never gets old:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about those guys who really just shouldn't be putting as much weight as they are. We all have seen them walking around your typical globo gym.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 11:55 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbanForsberg View Post
best way to stop eating fast food?
Do you smoke? I look at eating bad food like how a smoker needs his fix. I think if a smoker can quit, I can give up donuts or McDonald's.

I'm currently in a bad eating funk though

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 11:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
I can't believe I'm going to actually defend Adriatic here but I think he was very specific in what he said. He's talking about the ''meatheads that can't lift weight properly''. He's not talking about the well trained person who lifts 400-500lbs with proper form.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about those guys who really just shouldn't be putting as much weight as they are. We all have seen them walking around your typical globo gym.
Oh my God those are horrible.

10-13-2016, 12:01 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

The little stuff is always so encouraging. Since I've started focusing more on lifting weights, the increase in strength just feels so good. I lost so much muscle and strength when I was running and training and it feels good to get some of that back. Small things, like carrying a box to the car, taking out the garbage, etc... It's just so much easier now.

Hell, no matter how good my cardio was, I still always would be out of breath from going up a lot of stairs. Now, I can sprint up to the 8th floor at school and I don't even break a sweat.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2016, 12:02 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The little stuff is always so encouraging. Since I've started focusing more on lifting weights, the increase in strength just feels so good. I lost so much muscle and strength when I was running and training and it feels good to get some of that back. Small things, like carrying a box to the car, taking out the garbage, etc... It's just so much easier now.

Hell, no matter how good my cardio was, I still always would be out of breath from going up a lot of stairs. Now, I can sprint up to the 8th floor at school and I don't even break a sweat.
Feels better being inside your body too doesn't it

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Adriatic

Quote:

Well I'll be damned! I will mark this day down on my calendar. Yes we agree on something.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Well I'll be damned! I will mark this day down on my calendar. Yes we agree on something.
Except that's not exactly how it went down. You didn't circle down "the bad form meatheads"

Old
10-14-2016, 06:26 AM
The Titan
Auto Perma-Banned

Well seems like my weekend in Quebec City did not throw a monkey wrench in my diet. This morning was the official weighing session and I lost 2 pounds since last Friday for a total of close to 18 pounds in 10 weeks. I guess the 4 hours + of walking in Old Quebec mitigated the crappy eating that went with it.

The Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Andrei79

Finally bought everything for my gym !

Bought a Westside power rack with a monkey bar for pull ups and pins for the bands. Bought a high quality flat bench as well. Collars and chalk too.

Went with a bar similar to Rogue's basic bar, not the beater bar, but the 2.0, a little bit better quality. I liked the knurl for deadlifts. Also bought 450lbs of colored bumpers so I can deadlift like a neanderthal meathead .

Really happy with my purchases.

For cardio, I'll skate and ski this winter. This summer, I'm thinking of buying a sled or a prowler, haven't decided yet.

With time, I'll add other goodies, but for now, I'm real happy with what I bought. My next purchase will either be chains or dumbells, not sure yet.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

My deadlift is effectively going down again... God damnit.

Everything shoots up and my deadlift goes up a bit, then down, then up then down... Jesus.

Wondering if I should stick with 5/3/1 for three more months or if I should try another program or take time off... Jesus this sucks.

Came in the gym yesterday looking to crush PR on deadlift, as it was 1+ day and I failed the 1+ lift... Not even a lift off... FFS.

Old
10-16-2016, 05:33 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
All along I thought you were talking in kg. 500 lbs makes SO much more sense.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2016, 05:49 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

500kg is the world record for deadlift... I ain't Eddie Hall.

Old
10-16-2016, 06:21 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
He must have callouses the size of my kneecaps.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:
I'm offended you think I don't pride in my body lol. I think I'm in better shape than any meathead out there and in shape for what exactly?? Yes people are entitled to do what they want and live how they want, but I'm also entitled to they think they are being stupid. The same way I find eating contests stupid when I see poeple trying to shove 300 hot dogs down their throat in 90 seconds, I feel the same way when I see somebody deadlifting more than he should. Only harm will come of that.
Look Adriatic, it is all about challenging yourself. This is the same thing as saying "why do you meatheads run a marathon, a 10k or 21k is more than enough to be in top shape", which is completely true but beside the point. Anyone who is at the 500 lbs point in deadlift has been working hard to achieve it, i.e. dieting, training, and it is a effing sense of accomplishment if that persons makes it.

I will never go that way because I'm simply not dedicated enough but I can completely understand why someone would try. Same for running.

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2016, 04:46 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:

OMG, the second guy in the first video.... how can his back survive this??

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2016, 07:12 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyjack View Post
Look Adriatic, it is all about challenging yourself. This is the same thing as saying "why do you meatheads run a marathon, a 10k or 21k is more than enough to be in top shape", which is completely true but beside the point. Anyone who is at the 500 lbs point in deadlift has been working hard to achieve it, i.e. dieting, training, and it is a effing sense of accomplishment if that persons makes it.

I will never go that way because I'm simply not dedicated enough but I can completely understand why someone would try. Same for running.
Nicely said.

I've been working towards some weight goals for about 2 years now... It's incredible to see the achievements. Whenever I fail a lift, it's like I'm heartbroken

Old
10-20-2016, 04:43 PM
DAChampion

We now apparently have a good study on intermittent fasting and lifting, article:
http://translational-medicine.biomed...967-016-1044-0
analysis:
http://strengtheory.com/intermittent-fasting-study/
and more analysis:
http://www.leangains.com/2016/10/the...ins-study.html

This study had a large sample size (over 30 subjects), a well-defined diet for both groups, and measured many variables. What they found:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Study Conclusions
Our results suggest that an intermittent fasting program in which all calories are consumed in an 8-h window each day, in conjunction with resistance training, could improve some health-related biomarkers, decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males.
Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Berkhan
1. In this study, intermittent fasting beats out a normal diet, assuming we count points based on the overall impact on body composition. Over 8 weeks, subjects doing intermittent fasting a la Leangains, lost a lot more fat - and even gained more muscle - than subjects on a normal diet.

2. True, the muscle gain is non-significant - scientifically speaking - but for someone in the real world, adding 1.4 lbs of muscle over 8 weeks is quite a bit, especially if you're simultaneously losing fat.

3. These guys were not beginners either. Starting out with an average bench of 107-110 kg at 84 kg or so, they were well into the intermediate stage. It's worth noting that the intermittent fasters upped their bench by 3.3 kg, while the other group barely gained anything (0.7 kg). Increasing your bench press while losing weight is a *****, that's why it's worth noting. On the leg press, gains were about equal in both groups (8-10 kg).

We can thus clearly conclude that for fixed nutritional intake, for above-averag-but-not-elite athletes seeking to make progress, an 8-hour eating window is superior to a 16-hour eating window.

For those confused, most fasting studies thus far are on people of average physical fitness, or are of low quality scientific rigour. This is a high-quality study on people already fit seeking to get fitter.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2016, 07:05 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

When I started working out, I had last week on the calendar circled. I knew it would be a gongshow week and it was. Figured I'd come back and just pick up where I left off... except I forgot that this week was a big week for work and I'd be eating poorly and not being able to work out. So now it will be two weeks of bad behaviour that I'll have to come back from. And the scary thing is that I can feel a cold coming on.

These are the kinds of things that have knocked me off the workout wagon before but this time it's not going to happen.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
We now apparently have a good study on intermittent fasting and lifting, article:
http://translational-medicine.biomed...967-016-1044-0
analysis:
http://strengtheory.com/intermittent-fasting-study/
and more analysis:
http://www.leangains.com/2016/10/the...ins-study.html

This study had a large sample size (over 30 subjects), a well-defined diet for both groups, and measured many variables. What they found:

Also:

We can thus clearly conclude that for fixed nutritional intake, for above-averag-but-not-elite athletes seeking to make progress, an 8-hour eating window is superior to a 16-hour eating window.

For those confused, most fasting studies thus far are on people of average physical fitness, or are of low quality scientific rigour. This is a high-quality study on people already fit seeking to get fitter.
Hmmm... interesting. May have to look into this a bit.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2016, 07:16 PM
Mathletic

I started doing these Iron marathons to change things up. Felt sore for a few days but it's quite fun to do.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/...-marathon.html

Been doing them for all body parts.

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote