HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part II

Old
10-20-2016, 09:58 PM
Lshap
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
When I started working out, I had last week on the calendar circled. I knew it would be a gongshow week and it was. Figured I'd come back and just pick up where I left off... except I forgot that this week was a big week for work and I'd be eating poorly and not being able to work out. So now it will be two weeks of bad behaviour that I'll have to come back from. And the scary thing is that I can feel a cold coming on.

These are the kinds of things that have knocked me off the workout wagon before but this time it's not going to happen.
Two bad weeks won't kill the gains you've made over months. You can definitely pick up where you left off, and it'll be surprisingly easy.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2016, 10:04 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
Quote:
When I started working out, I had last week on the calendar circled. I knew it would be a gongshow week and it was. Figured I'd come back and just pick up where I left off... except I forgot that this week was a big week for work and I'd be eating poorly and not being able to work out. So now it will be two weeks of bad behaviour that I'll have to come back from. And the scary thing is that I can feel a cold coming on.

These are the kinds of things that have knocked me off the workout wagon before but this time it's not going to happen.
You're only racing against yourself. Keep it up and you'll be fine.

And, personally, after years of "working out" but going nowhere, I'm finally seeing gains and it's a great feeling.

On the other hand, I think I've developed a really bad GI issue. Hopefully it's lactose intolerance or something, hell, I'd even take celiacs. I hope it's not worse. Off to the doctor's tomorrow.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2016, 08:16 AM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
You're only racing against yourself. Keep it up and you'll be fine.

And, personally, after years of "working out" but going nowhere, I'm finally seeing gains and it's a great feeling.

On the other hand, I think I've developed a really bad GI issue. Hopefully it's lactose intolerance or something, hell, I'd even take celiacs. I hope it's not worse. Off to the doctor's tomorrow.
Yikes. Good luck. Aside from the obvious dietary markers, don't ignore the lifestyle issues of stress and sleep.

There's also a variety of foods and supplements that help the GI tract. I've met some Naturopathic doctors who are really good with this stuff (as well as others who are idiots).

Old
10-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:

Wait a sec LG... I can understand not working out because you're too busy or not at home or whatever, and a week or two off will absolutely not kill your gains. But eating unhealthy is absolutely unacceptable. There's literally no reasons to not eat good even though you're busy. We're all pretty busy people...(You wouldn't know it looking at our posting history ) I'm a chef and I work six days a week on slow weeks, DA is always travelling for work, W7 is a student, etc... You just gotta decide what is actually more important to you.

I mean cooking two eggs and two toasts isn't longer than going to McDonalds or popping a Delissio Pizza in the oven lol.

You don't have to eat super elaborated food for it to be healthy.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2016, 09:09 AM
DAChampion

I ate unhealthy during my day in Manhattan and I don't feel bad about it :-)

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Sure, I ate a poutine yesterday and I don't feel bad about it either It's all about consistency.

(I've been pretty consistent with cheats these past few weeks, but heh, it's winter I guess... It's time for a few stupid eating mistakes.)

Old
10-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Quote:
Manhattan is one of the easiest cities in which to find good food. Only area to avoid is Mid-Town, which is mostly overpriced tourist crap.

Old
10-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Lshap
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Sure, I ate a poutine yesterday and I don't feel bad about it either It's all about consistency.

(I've been pretty consistent with cheats these past few weeks, but heh, it's winter I guess... It's time for a few stupid eating mistakes.)
Agree about consistency. Unless you have an allergy or gastro reaction, your system can filter out a degree of junk without problem. Besides, food is one of the very few pleasures worth living for!

Old
10-21-2016, 11:15 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Yeah I am less anal about my diet now. I'm eating chicken wings tonight.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2016, 11:17 AM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Yikes. Good luck. Aside from the obvious dietary markers, don't ignore the lifestyle issues of stress and sleep.

There's also a variety of foods and supplements that help the GI tract. I've met some Naturopathic doctors who are really good with this stuff (as well as others who are idiots).
Being a postgrad in the most expensive city in the world with few job prospects (at the moment) might be stressful. Yeah.

I'm gonna have to look into it and do some tests, but appointment was pushed back a few days. We'll see.

I'm otherwise healthy, probably in as good shape as I've even been post teenage years. Seeing Gainz is a really good feeling.

Old
10-21-2016, 11:18 AM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

Quote:
You should've asked me for some recommendations

Old
10-21-2016, 11:22 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
You should've asked me for some recommendations
I'll probably be going back soon ...

What do you recommend ;-)

Old
10-21-2016, 09:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Wait a sec LG... I can understand not working out because you're too busy or not at home or whatever, and a week or two off will absolutely not kill your gains. But eating unhealthy is absolutely unacceptable. There's literally no reasons to not eat good even though you're busy. We're all pretty busy people...(You wouldn't know it looking at our posting history ) I'm a chef and I work six days a week on slow weeks, DA is always travelling for work, W7 is a student, etc... You just gotta decide what is actually more important to you.

I mean cooking two eggs and two toasts isn't longer than going to McDonalds or popping a Delissio Pizza in the oven lol.

Thanksgiving, birthday, 2 day reunion... it was a drunk fest. I don't need an excuse for that, I chose to do it knowing full well what was going to happen.

This week I've been on the road with my company and eaten out everyday. It wasn't going to happen. Next week returns to normal and I'll start eating better now but it's been what it's been...

10-22-2016, 04:31 PM
DAChampion

Brain Maker (2015)
Author: David Perlmutter, MD, with Kristin Loberg

Brain Maker is Dr. David Perlmutter's (a neurologist) second book, following the #1 NY Times Bestseller Grain Brain, which I have not read myself. In this book he discusses findings from the emerging field of research of the human microbiome, which primarily lives in our guts, and how it affects factors like diabetes, obesity, and, surprisingly, depression, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, and autism.

The microbiome is quite large, with an estimated 35,000 species within us, and the total number of cells exceeds our own human cells by a factor of 10:1. These bacteria make up ~2% of our total mass, and within nearly every cell we have mitochondria, which are likely descended from bacteria themselves. It thus shouldn't be a surprise that these bacteria can impact our health in positive ways ... but it is. We live in a culture which values sterilization. Antibiotic dispensers are available everywhere. People are afraid to shake hands with strangers due to "germs". This is rooted in scientific history: the germ theory of disease is likely the greatest success of medicine in the past two hundred years and why life expectancy doubled between 1900 and 2000.

Dr. Perlmutter makes the claim, convincingly I think, that we're over-sterilized, and that our diet and excess intake of anti-biotics are largely to blame. The claim is made by a combination of studies (in both humans and animals), numerous anecdotes which he's seen in his time as a practicing neurologist, and conjectures/hypotheses linking them. The conjecture/hypothesis rests largely on the idea that inflammation is at the heart of many modern diseases, and that gut bacteria have a huge influence on inflammation, though there are other components.

Very impressive for me were the spectacular correlations betwen c-section birth and various illness. Being born by c-section gives a 5-gold increase in risk of allergies, it triples the risk of ADHD, it doubles the risk of autism, it gives an 80% increased risk of caeliac disease, a 50% increased risk of obesity as an adult, and a 70% increased risk in type-I (yes, type-I) diabetes. The conclusion is that vaginal births help impart the mother's beneficial bacteria onto babies, and that clearly bacteria are beneficial for human physical and mental health. Thankfully, doctors are now trying to figure out and better understand these processes as society will still need c-section, and are developing other ways to transfer the bacteria. Other non-diet factors that help gut bacteria are breastfeeding, and avoiding excess time on antibiotics. Dr. Perlmutter also recommends exercise which somehow helps bacteria, and four fasts a year, of 72 hours each.

I won't write much about the anecdotes here, but if I recall correctly (I didn't take notes), he saw improvements in patients with ADHD and autism following poop transplants.

For food, Dr. Perlmutter singles out sugar, gluten, and artificial sweeteners as the ingredients to avoid. Artificial sweeteners took me by surprise, but he did link to a French study showing a greater risk of type-II diabetes among people drinking diet drinks than sugary drinks, and just this week we've had more news about the dangers of diet drinks. The recommended foods are vegetables, low-sugar fruit, fermented foods (yogurt, pickled fruits and vegetables, kimchi, saurkraut, fermented meat, fish, and eggs), healthy fats and proteins. Coffee, tea, dark chocolate, and red wine (in moderation) are also recommended. Surprisingly, he advocates moderation on beans, lentils, peas, carrots, sweet fruit like mangoes and pineapples, and non-gluten grains like rice.

Dr. Perlmutter speculates that the problems with wheat may go beyond gluten, problems with other molecules not yet identified. This very morning I saw news on my twitter feed that another molecule in wheat, mylase-trypsin inhibitors which account for ~4% of their protein, may in fact be the culprit by delivering a dose-dependent inflammatory response.

For pro-biotic supplements, he suggests focusing on lactobacillus plantarum, acidophilus, brevis; bifidobacterium lactis, longum; but he says the field is evolving so fast that by the time anybody reads the book the list of recommended bacteria will have evolved. Dr. Perlmutter also speaks approvingly of delivering the probiotics via enema, which he's found has helped people, and even poop transplants. He says poop transplants are only used in the USA to treat c. difficile, but what he does is he sends clients to other countries where the procedure is done in a controlled, regulated manner.

The back of the book includes a detailed 7-day meal plan to reboot the digestive system, and then some fun recipes. The recipes include whey, kefir, yogurt, quark, ricotta, saurkraut, kimchi, blueberry-mint preserves, and kombucha. I aspire to be a master of the kitchen myself, and it's daunting how many wonderful foods there are that I'd like to learn how to make. But focusing on these in the next few months is not an awful strategy and I might make a few. I mean ... the blueberry mint preserve sounds amazing ! There were also interesting random ideas like coating dark chocolate in almond butter.

This isn't something I've thought a lot about it before. Nutrition is presented to the public as being about fats vs proteins vs carbohydrates vs alcohols; and vitamins and minerals and fibre. Sometimes carbs are split based on glycaemic index, and sometimes proteins are spit based on amino acid profile, and sometimes fats are split based on saturation (all three of these are informed splits), but this merely adds resolution to an existing dimension. This issue of gut bacteria is a third dimension, separate albeit complementary to the above two. In the past year or so I've mostly considered the insulin hypothesis (Dr. Jason Fung) of obesity/diabates/metabolic syndrome as the best candidate for the truth, and I was reading this bacteria hypothesis I tried to think of possible contradictions. However, it seems that the prescriptions are the same with a few exceptions:
- Perlmutter argues against sweet fruits, whereas Fung says fruits like banana have a low insulinogenic index in spite of their high sugar;
- Perlmutter encourages adding fermented fruits and vegetables, in spite of the macronutrient content being the same as unfermented fruits and vegetables;
- Perlmutter argues against soy and other beans, though their insulin index is low. He makes an exception for chick peas and hummus which he says is ok;
- Perlmutter speaks no opposition to animal proteins, though he says to eat them in moderation. However, animal proteins raise insulin significantly.

By and large though these differences are small, very small, much smaller than say the difference to the conventional diet recommended for the past thirty years of low-fat, low-cholesterol where you're supposed to stuff your face with bread all day. Thus, whether you believe in the gut bacteria hypothesis or the insulin hypothesis barely matters at all, as the prescriptions are nearly identical. I'm convinced by the evidence here, and I'll be implementing some of the recommendations as per the precautionary principle.

There will be more yogurt, saurkraut, etc in my life from now on, and if I have the will, less wheat and less sugar.

Old
10-22-2016, 05:07 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

I just bought his two books and his cook book. Great review DA.

Old
10-22-2016, 05:14 PM
hotcarle

Never posted in this thread before, but have been following it, and your motivation motivates me. Don't go to the gym, but run on my treadmill 3 times a week and have been doing the plank every day for a few months now, am up to 7 mins..upping it by 5 seconds every day or so.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2016, 08:28 PM
DAChampion

Old
10-28-2016, 10:08 PM
Andrei79

Just recieved all my equipment today.

Everything looks awesome.

Bought 450lbs of bumpers finally.

Now, my goal for this winter is to build an outdoor rink in my backyard for cardio and shinny. Anyone got any advice for that ??

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Hardworker33

Can't wait for my weight-in on monday morning!

I've been perfect on my macros (tomorrow's a maintenance day) and I can tell I'm getting leaner. I'm pushing for single digit body fat, which 99% will never reach (don't say that to brag, just a fact).

I'm currently around a legit ~11% and everything is going well except the usual ''I want to eat everything in sight'' on few occasions.

Then, all I think is : why the heck am I cutting late october!?

Hardworker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardworker33 View Post
Can't wait for my weight-in on monday morning!

I've been perfect on my macros (tomorrow's a maintenance day) and I can tell I'm getting leaner. I'm pushing for single digit body fat, which 99% will never reach (don't say that to brag, just a fact).

I'm currently around a legit ~11% and everything is going well except the usual ''I want to eat everything in sight'' on few occasions.

Then, all I think is : why the heck am I cutting late october!?
There's probably a lot more than 99% that reach single digit body fat, really isn't that hard, ESPECIALLY with good genetics.

Heck, I'm a fat **** and I eat like two obese man and I still get to be around 12 when I cut down without too much macro management.

What are you using to measure ?

The only DEXA I know of is in Québec city, and that's where I went last time (I didn't go specifically for that, don't worry )

Also, bodyfat % are really different than what you see on bro forums like BB.com... It's not as good an indicator as one might think as it seems to be incredibly random in the disposition of fat in ones body.

DEXA is fun and accurate to know the fat all over your body.

Last edited by Mrb1p: 10-29-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old
10-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Hardworker33

Quote:
There's probably a lot more than 99% that reach single digit body fat, really isn't that hard, ESPECIALLY with good genetics.

Heck, I'm a fat **** and I eat like two obese man and I still get to be around 12 when I cut down without too much macro management.

What are you using to measure ?

The only DEXA I know of is in Québec city, and that's where I went last time (I didn't go specifically for that, don't worry )

Also, bodyfat % are really different than what you see on bro forums like BB.com... It's not as good an indicator as one might think as it seems to be incredibly random in the disposition of fat in ones body.

DEXA is fun and accurate to know the fat all over your body.
Well, IMO (and experience..lifting for the last 6 years or so) people tend to underestimate their BF. I use my eye test but I don't freak over a specific number because in the end, it's just a number (even DEXA isn't 100% perfect even if it represents the best method.

I don't want to pollute this thread by posting a picture of myself but like I said, legit single digit is a lot lower than what people think. In fact, the majority claiming to be 10% are closer to 14-15% if not more.

Just my .2 cents

Hardworker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 04:08 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Just got my rogue urethane bumper set. Quality stuff. Very dead bounce but I did some testing, dropping it directly on the gym flooring (not on the lifting platform) with 115lbs is not doing much sound nor any vibration. The energy absorption is excellent even with so little bounce (I didn't compare with other bumper so I don't know if other bumpers would absorb the impact even better).

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 12:52 AM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:

I drank many beers tonight and I drank many beers on Thursday... and all I could think of was this scolding I got about my diet.

Please don't make me feel guilty again. I want to keep posting in this thread.

Also, this month has been deadly for my diet... and I knew it would be.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 08:45 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
I drank many beers tonight and I drank many beers on Thursday... and all I could think of was this scolding I got about my diet.

Please don't make me feel guilty again. I want to keep posting in this thread.

Also, this month has been deadly for my diet... and I knew it would be.
I just ate 6 doughnuts and yesterday I had three beers and a pizza.

Whatever

Old
10-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardworker33 View Post
Well, IMO (and experience..lifting for the last 6 years or so) people tend to underestimate their BF. I use my eye test but I don't freak over a specific number because in the end, it's just a number (even DEXA isn't 100% perfect even if it represents the best method.

I don't want to pollute this thread by posting a picture of myself but like I said, legit single digit is a lot lower than what people think. In fact, the majority claiming to be 10% are closer to 14-15% if not more.

Just my .2 cents
It's hard to judge with the eye test. A 7% could look like a 12%. It's really case by case.