HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part II

Old
10-30-2016, 08:54 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
I almost bought a juicer but I went conservative and bought a blender instead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 09:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I just ate 6 doughnuts and yesterday I had three beers and a pizza.

Whatever
Okay, I feel better now. Thanks man.

10-30-2016, 10:05 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Juicer is the way to go. You will not regret it.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:

The food processor attachement is pretty nice on this one.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 03:48 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
The food processor attachement is pretty nice on this one.
I ended up cancelling the order because I'm indecisive lol.

Old
10-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Do they have Costco in australia ?

I just got a Blendtec from there at half the price and it's incredible.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
At that price, a blender and a food processor is really nice. You can make ALOT of things with this.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 09:59 PM
DAChampion

I ended up switching to this fancy masticating juicer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order/edit.html

It's highly recommended by a friend in the Juicing business. After much thought:

Blenders are better for adding proteins and fats (e.g. chia seeds, protein powder, yogurt), bananas, ice cubes, probably frozen berries, keeping fibre, etc.

Juicers are better for anything fibrous that doesn't blend well, like greens, ginger, radishes, wheatgrass. By removing the fibre you actually get more juice per volume. You also save time for any material with seeds.

Both are good but I already have a blender anyway. It's just currently being shipped internationally, very slowly, along with the rest of my stuff from Australia. I'll have to buy a voltage transformer for it, which might be more expensive than just buying a new blender lol.

Old
01-03-2017, 03:31 PM
MaxLacoste

I would like to take a few pounds this winter, before starting a real triathlon training this spring. Right now, I'm working out at home and swimming at the pool near my house. I have a sandbag that can go up to 80lbs, two 20lbs dumbbells, two 10lbs dumbbells, a pilates ball. Usually, I workout at home 4 times a week and swimming 2 times.

Do you guys have advices on some routines I could do that could help me next summer, for triathlon, and I want to start taking proteins shakes. I don't really know what to buy, and every brand seems good on the internet. I think I need more proteins because my diet is not very balance, and I started loosing weight. Thank you for your advices.

PS: I wanted to bump the thread. It's my favorite.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Lshap

Bumped as requested.

It's the end of winter. How are people coming along with their routines, diets, and regimens?

I've been running in the gym (BuzzFit) all winter. Ironically, my only mild injury has nothing to do with running, and is around my upper tricep/shoulder due to weights. Frustrating.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:28 PM
DAChampion

Well done LShap !

We now have three off-topic threads circulating in the top few pages lol.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:40 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Bumped as requested.

It's the end of winter. How are people coming along with their routines, diets, and regimens?

I've been running in the gym (BuzzFit) all winter. Ironically, my only mild injury has nothing to do with running, and is around my upper tricep/shoulder due to weights. Frustrating.
I am in the gym 5 to 6 days a week, one of those days is a light workout (abs) and I boxe 3 times a week for 1 hour and a half. I am eating 4 meals a day, 2 protein shakes and snacks 2 to 3 times thorough my day. I have lost about 10 pounds in the last 2 months. Feels good!

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:02 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Bumped as requested.

I failed.

Once October hit I fell off the workout wagon. Keep meaning to go back but it hasn't happened.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:10 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I've been failing for years. I think I'm in worst shape of my life. I plan to change that once my semester is over but...if I made good on my plans I wouldn't be in this shape to begin with!

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:24 AM
Stoneburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post

Do you guys have advices on some routines I could do that could help me next summer, for triathlon, and I want to start taking proteins shakes.
How is your running? It is the most crucial part of any triathlon.
How old are you? Even if you are in your early to mid 20's you should train for at least 6 months before doing an Olympic distance tri.
What shape are you in?
You should do each sport twice/week.
Try doing stair workouts, interval training, hill training. Preferably you should do one distance workout, and one interval workout in each sport, each week. And one rest day.
Try branch chain amino acids, they do wonders.

Stoneburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 02:23 AM
Kriss E

Tried out the conjugate system for 12 weeks, saw good strength gains, definitely something I want to experiment with some more in the future.
Then holidays came along so had some fun. Did 10 week of strength and conditioning work while cutting down. Dropped bf% by 4%, now just below 10% as I'm going into a 12 week slow bulking phase. I won't increase calories too much though as still want abs showing by the end of it.

Old
03-21-2017, 06:36 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Tried out the conjugate system for 12 weeks, saw good strength gains, definitely something I want to experiment with some more in the future.
Then holidays came along so had some fun. Did 10 week of strength and conditioning work while cutting down. Dropped bf% by 4%, now just below 10% as I'm going into a 12 week slow bulking phase. I won't increase calories too much though as still want abs showing by the end of it.
They say that and are made in the kitchen, but is that always true?

Old
03-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
They say that and are made in the kitchen, but is that always true?
I think that's just a simple saying to explain to people that you need to make an effort with what you eat, but it's not that simple.
If you don't do your abs, you won't get that six pack. Just like if you skip leg day, you're not getting those nicely defined legs.

Essentially, yes, your nutrition is a big part of any goal you want to achieve. Abs, weight loss, mass gain. But there's a scare out there that you need to eat brocoli or salads all day every day if you want to get those abs. That is not true.

Old
03-21-2017, 08:25 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
I think that's just a simple saying to explain to people that you need to make an effort with what you eat, but it's not that simple.
If you don't do your abs, you won't get that six pack. Just like if you skip leg day, you're not getting those nicely defined legs.

Essentially, yes, your nutrition is a big part of any goal you want to achieve. Abs, weight loss, mass gain. But there's a scare out there that you need to eat brocoli or salads all day every day if you want to get those abs. That is not true.
Abs might have more intrinsic definition, unlike legs. I don't know.

I'm in a group on FB which has a lot of recovering diabetics. A lot of them are vehemently anti-carbohydrates, they have sworn off fruit for example, some are even against sweet potatoes, eggplant, etc. I was judgmental about it at first but the way I see it, their approach is sensible given their context, they're covering from diabetes, insulin resistance, extreme obesity, etc so they need an extended period of extremely low insulin, and low glucose consumption.

A lot of them are also reducing protein consumption, but that's sensible as the body converts excess protein into sugar anyway, it raises insulin, it makes it harder to recover from diabetes, and some argue that consuming protein during weight loss leads to loose skin.

Dr. Mercola (separately) said something insightful on youtube recently. I think he used to recommend long-term ketosis. He no longer does. He now sees ketosis as something people should do for an extended period, but as they recover they should reintroduce carbohydrates into their diet, to an extent.

Circling back to abs, Martin Berkhan suggests not worrying about the issue unless one gets to ~10% body fat and still doesn't see abs. I'm not sure what my current percentage is now, maybe 13-15%. I have an average frame, I'm 5'11, and I weight ~175 lbs.

Old
03-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Bumped as requested.

Doing great. Been clean-bulking steadily since Christmas and I'm now up at 175.8lbs from 168.4 lbs (7.4 lbs increase in 9-10 weeks). Averaging 0.8 lbs gained per week which is exactly what I was aiming for. Don't really look like I gained any fat. I'm gauging progress with bodyfat calipers and I'm pretty consistent in my measurements.

I struggle gaining strength in bench press raw power. I'm stuck at 185 pounds for triples which is pretty freaking pathetic. I think my sticking point is the triceps. Might have to put emphasis on some accessory work there.

Squat has been progressing real good though. Can rep 225 pounds ass-to-grass for 10 reps with ease. Not a fan of going balls to the walls on squats but I can rep 250 pounds for 5 reps with ease, so I think I could push it to 275 pounds for reps and get it done. Don't want to rush anything and go to snap city though.

All in all Legs and Shoulders are the two bodyparts that evolved the most in the last few months. I guess it's about my genetics. More a limb-dominant type than a core-dominant type.

Last edited by Son Oncle Jerry: 03-21-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Son Oncle Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:39 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Back in December I stopped weight training after some great progress due to exams and deadlines. In January I started running again and was doing quite well... Even though I hadn't run since August it only took me about a week to be able to get back to a sub 30 minute 5k, and I was extremely diligent about my stretching (every day, even on no run days, and using my foam roller) so I had much less pain in my knees.

But now... exams and deadlines are back and I haven't run in at least 3 weeks. I want to get back to it but I feel so overwhelmed, I just have no time anymore. This is my last semester, and my schedule is really weird (Tuesdays and Thursdays, I go from 11am till midnight, off the rest of the week). I am always exhausted, and every day is at least 12 hours of either working or class.

Once school is done I have almost 2 months off before I start my new job. That will be a good time for me to get my good habits back.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:40 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Abs might have more intrinsic definition, unlike legs. I don't know.

I'm in a group on FB which has a lot of recovering diabetics. A lot of them are vehemently anti-carbohydrates, they have sworn off fruit for example, some are even against sweet potatoes, eggplant, etc. I was judgmental about it at first but the way I see it, their approach is sensible given their context, they're covering from diabetes, insulin resistance, extreme obesity, etc so they need an extended period of extremely low insulin, and low glucose consumption.

A lot of them are also reducing protein consumption, but that's sensible as the body converts excess protein into sugar anyway, it raises insulin, it makes it harder to recover from diabetes, and some argue that consuming protein during weight loss leads to loose skin.

Dr. Mercola (separately) said something insightful on youtube recently. I think he used to recommend long-term ketosis. He no longer does. He now sees ketosis as something people should do for an extended period, but as they recover they should reintroduce carbohydrates into their diet, to an extent.

Circling back to abs, Martin Berkhan suggests not worrying about the issue unless one gets to ~10% body fat and still doesn't see abs. I'm not sure what my current percentage is now, maybe 13-15%. I have an average frame, I'm 5'11, and I weight ~175 lbs.
Well you're talking about diabetes and so, it's completely different for them.
It also has a lot to do with genetics. In my mid teenage years, my diet consisted of hamburger+fries+pizza pretty much on a daily basis, yet I grew to become a very lean 6'2 guy with no health issues whatsoever.
On the flip side, my older brother would eat healthier, but if he ate a bag of chips he'd put on weight, and he had eczmena, a lot of allergies, and asthma.

So a lot has to do with your metabolism and genetics. I'm a very tough gainer. What's annoying is as I get older, I still have a very tough time bulking, but I put on fat way easier. So I do have to be more careful with my nutrition now being 33.

Old
03-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Well you're talking about diabetes and so, it's completely different for them.
It also has a lot to do with genetics. In my mid teenage years, my diet consisted of hamburger+fries+pizza pretty much on a daily basis, yet I grew to become a very lean 6'2 guy with no health issues whatsoever.
On the flip side, my older brother would eat healthier, but if he ate a bag of chips he'd put on weight, and he had eczmena, a lot of allergies, and asthma.

So a lot has to do with your metabolism and genetics. I'm a very tough gainer. What's annoying is as I get older, I still have a very tough time bulking, but I put on fat way easier. So I do have to be more careful with my nutrition now being 33.
How many calories are you going for when clean bulking?

Son Oncle Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:10 AM
Blood On The Ice

I'm bulking for the first time ever for the last 2 months. Taking some protein shakes here and there. I'm 6'2 and now 205 lbs. Not much body fat but I'm guessing over 10%. Do not want to get any bigger tho so I plan on changing my routine for 10-12 reps per set in the next few weeks.

I only ran once or twice per week this winter coming off an ankle injury last fall. I plan on running 4 times per week steady when April comes. No more long distance running for me since a co-worker challenged me to run a 5K under 20 min. This is what I will work on for the summer. No more than 15 K long runs on the weekend when I feel so. Speed work twice per week with a ''long run'' and a recovery run.

Blood On The Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood On The Ice View Post
I'm bulking for the first time ever for the last 2 months. Taking some protein shakes here and there. I'm 6'2 and now 205 lbs. Not much body fat but I'm guessing over 10%. Do not want to get any bigger tho so I plan on changing my routine for 10-12 reps per set in the next few weeks.

I only ran once or twice per week this winter coming off an ankle injury last fall. I plan on running 4 times per week steady when April comes. No more long distance running for me since a co-worker challenged me to run a 5K under 20 min. This is what I will work on for the summer. No more than 15 K long runs on the weekend when I feel so. Speed work twice per week with a ''long run'' and a recovery run.
5k in under 20 minutes is really fast. Don't beat yourself up if you don't get there. I was doing it in 22 minutes and change in my 40s, which I was proud of. Good luck!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote