HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should be Trade Chara or Redden BEFORE one leaves?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2006, 10:29 AM
  #26
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?
 
Kickabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
He was an undrafted junior, not an undrafted player. He was a walk-on with his juniour team.
The original post was obviously a dig at Redden that an undrafted "junior" who can't skate could get the better of him. Well that undrafted "junior" turned out to become a first round draft pick. I just wanted to make sure no one was mis-led into thinking that the guy was a chump, since most reading that post would have assumed from reading that post that Perry went undrafted into the NHL not into "junior" hockey.

Kickabrat is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 10:35 AM
  #27
Rick Middleton
Registered User
 
Rick Middleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 71,940
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
The original post was obviously a dig at Redden that an undrafted "junior" who can't skate could get the better of him. Well that undrafted "junior" turned out to become a first round draft pick. I just wanted to make sure no one was mis-led into thinking that the guy was a chump, since most reading that post would have assumed from reading that post that Perry went undrafted into the NHL not into "junior" hockey.
Chump? Not in the slightest.

Slow of foot? You bet. That's why he wasn't drafted as a junior. His skating was atrocious.

My post wasn't a dig at Redden so much as a dig at a hurt Redden trying to play before he's fully healthy. Right now he looks terrible. Re-read what I wrote. I was in no way taking a shot at Redden. I simply don't think he's up to snuff right now.

Before every period he's doing stretching exercises for a good 2 minutes. I've watched Sens games since their inception, and have never noticed this regiment until recently. It leads me to believe that something IS wrong with his knee. More so than what the Sens are letting on.

Rick Middleton is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 10:45 AM
  #28
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
I've watched Sens games since their inception
You've watched THAT much Senators hockey and you're not a fan? By now you know that this is your rightful home. Prepare to be assimilated!

To metaphorize employing a line from the Simpsons:

Deprogrammer: ""You do not love Mr. Burns (Boston Bruins)! You love Homer (Alfie) and Marge (Chara)! You are THEIR son (fan)! What you are doing is wrong. Wrong. Wrong!"

Or, from the Matrix:

"Hear that, Mr. Anderson (Rick Middleton)? That is the sound of inevitability. It is the sound of your death. (end of fandom to your previous team)"

NyQuil is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 10:48 AM
  #29
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?
 
Kickabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
I believe that was the swift of feet Corey Perry. Perry, who went undrafted in junior because he skated like Brad Marsh. Just fugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
Chump? Not in the slightest.

Slow of foot? You bet. That's why he wasn't drafted as a junior. His skating was atrocious.

My post wasn't a dig at Redden so much as a dig at a hurt Redden trying to play before he's fully healthy. Right now he looks terrible. Re-read what I wrote. I was in no way taking a shot at Redden. I simply don't think he's up to snuff right now.

Before every period he's doing stretching exercises for a good 2 minutes. I've watched Sens games since their inception, and have never noticed this regiment until recently. It leads me to believe that something IS wrong with his knee. More so than what the Sens are letting on.
Re-read the original post and it is definitely a dig at Redden....maybe not intentional but that is the way it comes across. Nobody ever talks about a guy getting drafted out of midget. When you say a player goes undrafted most will interpret it to meaning in the NHL. For those posters who don't follow junior or teams other than the Sens, they wouldn't know Correy Perry from Perry Como, and would be left with the impression that the guy who went around Redden was a slow footed slug, not a first round pick with huge upside.

As for Redden being hurt...I'm sure he's not 100% and his play shows it, but an 85% Redden is still better than most D-men who are at 100%. The fact the Sens are struggling right now has alot to do with it...but they were doing a lot worse when he wasn't in the line-up....which goes to show just how valuable he is to this team.

Kickabrat is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 10:54 AM
  #30
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
Re-read the original post and it is definitely a dig at Redden....maybe not intentional but that is the way it comes across. Nobody ever talks about a guy getting drafted out of midget. When you say a player goes undrafted most will interpret it to meaning in the NHL. For those posters who don't follow junior or teams other than the Sens, they wouldn't know Correy Perry from Perry Como, and would be left with the impression that the guy who went around Redden was a slow footed slug, not a first round pick with huge upside.
Bottom-line: Redden shouldn't have gotten beat on that play. He had the angle but was so slow-moving into the boards (it looked like he was trying to hit him, but missed), that he couldn't keep up and was passed cleanly.

Not an all-star defenceman type play at all.

I don't care how fast Perry is, or isn't, Redden had position on him and ceded it without a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
As for Redden being hurt...I'm sure he's not 100% and his play shows it, but an 85% Redden is still better than most D-men who are at 100%. The fact the Sens are struggling right now has alot to do with it...but they were doing a lot worse when he wasn't in the line-up....which goes to show just how valuable he is to this team.
The team's record without Redden was 6-2-2.

Now, I like Redden and he's had a career season until his injury. However, he's not playing particularly well in the last stretch of games and hopefully he snaps out of it.

I think Rick is perfectly entitled to his criticism if he wants. No player is excellent over an entire season. I'm not sure why this has turned into such a big issue. I've re-read the post and don't find it particularly controversial...

NyQuil is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 11:43 AM
  #31
Rico__Persson*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
...
Rick, prepare to be bombarded.

You are not allowed to say anything negative about this team. Not today, not tomorrow. Never. I have questioned in the past and have been blasted because of it.

This is a great team. There are no weakness'. This team will win the Stanley Cup this year, and for as many years in the future as they feel the need be.


Redden let the man past him.
Ottawa let Anaheim win.
Ottawa lets Toronto win in the playoffs.

There are no problems with this team.

Rico__Persson* is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 11:52 AM
  #32
Rick Middleton
Registered User
 
Rick Middleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 71,940
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
Rick, prepare to be bombarded.
I moderate the PD forum. There's nothing anyone can say about me that'd beat the pounding I take over there daily.

Rick Middleton is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 01:41 PM
  #33
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
I have questioned in the past and have been blasted because of it.
I have no problem with insightful, factually-based questions.

I do have a problem with scare-mongering for no good purpose.

I think sometimes we go looking for things to be worried about.

You go on the boards of certain teams, and they're concerned because they only win close games. They figure, over time, those close games will become losses.

Then you go on our board, and we're concerned because we don't win enough close games. We figure that, come playoff time, all the games will be close therefore we'll lose.

After we lose a game, there's always a little questioning and soul-searching. Was the team flat? Yes. Was our opponent motivated? Yes. Are our opponents typically motivated when they play us? Yes.

Well, the silver lining is that we still usually win even though our opponents are generally "up" for our games. The silver lining is that, even when we take two periods off, we still gain a point because of the man in the pipes. Am I upset that the team took a night off? Sure. Have I ever seen a team in history that didn't? No.

I'm also a little tired of the old "Well, if they're like this in the regular season, they'll be like this in the playoffs." as a negative judgment of our team. Well, guess what folks, in the past, we were AWESOME in the regular season and still sucked in the playoffs, so I personally am not going to make that correlation. We can go out and win the President's trophy and still lose when it counts, so why get so worked up about a regular season game?

The playoffs is a different animal. It's a separate tournament entirely. The goal is to try and have a good seeding, and have all your players healthy and motivated. At that point, the regular season no longer matters. We're starting from scratch. What I'm optimistic about is our ability to be competitive even when unmotivated. I, for one, think our team will get up for the post-season.

The biggest worry is Hasek's health, bar none. Without him, we have no Cup, particularly if he's out after the trade deadline. That's it for me.


Last edited by NyQuil: 01-20-2006 at 01:47 PM.
NyQuil is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 02:30 PM
  #34
Murphy*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SilverCupVille
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
I moderate the PD forum. There's nothing anyone can say about me that'd beat the pounding I take over there daily.
Tee Hee

Murphy* is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 05:27 PM
  #35
Rico__Persson*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
The playoffs is a different animal. It's a separate tournament entirely. The goal is to try and have a good seeding, and have all your players healthy and motivated. At that point, the regular season no longer matters. We're starting from scratch. What I'm optimistic about is our ability to be competitive even when unmotivated. I, for one, think our team will get up for the post-season.
Nobody lives playoff hockey harder than I do. The regular season is too long and boring though. I can't get fired up for 82 nights. I barely bat an eye.

The Leafs have the ability to change a full years momentum in one game (Game One). I'll give them that. They know how to intimidate. Let's say it a 1st-8th Ottawa/Toronto match-up in Round 1. If Toronto won Game 1. Every single fan on this board would panic. (Me included). Thats why I love playoffs...you can't fake that stuff.


I don't worry too much about how players are playing at that point, because like the Leafs prove, its a new game in 3-4 days after game 82. All I want is a unbeatable team on paper (Doug Weight). If the team doesn't get it done on the ice, then I reserve the right to start the "Fire Bryan Murray" Thread the night of elimination.


I already have it written.

Rico__Persson* is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 05:56 PM
  #36
Roy G Biv*
 
Roy G Biv*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
I moderate the PD forum. There's nothing anyone can say about me that'd beat the pounding I take over there daily.
Hippie!

As for Redden, he looked great the first couple of games coming back from his injury. I think he may have hit some kind of wall.

Roy G Biv* is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 06:02 PM
  #37
Roy G Biv*
 
Roy G Biv*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
I already have it written.
I can see it already:

1) Fire Murray, hire Reggie Dunlop

2) Trade Spezza and Heatley for the dynamic duo of Marty Reasoner and Ethan Moreau

3) Trade Havlat for 1st round draft pick, and with it, draft a farm kid from Red Deer that would have gone in the 7th round.

4) Throw out all hockey sticks and replace them with shovels

5) Save the Bluths.

Roy G Biv* is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 07:12 PM
  #38
Rico__Persson*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
I can see it already:

1) Fire Murray, hire Lindy Ruff, with assistant Captain Cunneyworth.

2) Trade Redden and Havlat for the dynamic duo of Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan Allen.

3) Trade Emery and Heatley to Florida for Roberto Luongo and a 3rd round pick, where I'll draft a farmer from Fort McMurray.

4) Throw out all high priced luxury suite seats and replace them with hammocks.

5) Save the Bluths.

Rico__Persson* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.