HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk Part VII: NFC North Kings

Old
07-12-2017, 01:24 PM
chances14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
I thought Johnson left because he was always banged up and wanted to not have permanent damage?
i'm sure that had a little to do with it

but i'm referring to the fact he's complaining about the lions withholding some of his money even though he is the one that reneged on the contract.

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Beltv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
i'm sure that had a little to do with it

but i'm referring to the fact he's complaining about the lions withholding some of his money even though he is the one that reneged on the contract.
Can you blame him? He can enjoy his life. I remember when this story broke and just about everybody on 97.1 atleast was like good for him. From what I remember.

On a side note......Can you believe the stuff going on in Cabrera's life outside of baseball? Could this be why he is having a down year or is it the injuries building up at his age?

Beltv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Absolutely crazy that the Lions ineptitude caused Barry and Calvin, their two best players of all time, to retire early because they were sick of losing.

My friends are more optimistic about the Lions, but i have always felt that the Ford family is the reason why the Lions will continue to be a joke.
Honestly I like what the current Lions GM is doing compared to past regimes.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2017, 04:42 PM
chances14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltv View Post
Can you blame him? He can enjoy his life. I remember when this story broke and just about everybody on 97.1 atleast was like good for him. From what I remember.
i don't blame him for leaving. I have issue with him complaining about the lions trying to get back some of his money after he reneged on his contract

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 10:51 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Couldn't the Lions have just traded him? Did they say outright they wouldn't do that?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2017, 04:32 PM
FireBird71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Couldn't the Lions have just traded him? Did they say outright they wouldn't do that?
Yes to both

FireBird71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Shoalzie
Found Footage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltv View Post
On a side note......Can you believe the stuff going on in Cabrera's life outside of baseball? Could this be why he is having a down year or is it the injuries building up at his age?
I'm sure age is catching up to him but what is going on with his family in Venezuela has to be on his mind. How could it not?

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 09:14 AM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
I'm sure age is catching up to him but what is going on with his family in Venezuela has to be on his mind. How could it not?
The age factor with Cabrera seems to be overstated right now (but it will very likely be a problem for the latter years of that contract). Players with similar 1B/DH-profiles usually do not fall off a cliff at 34. Cabrera also had a particularly good latter half in 2016.

Hopefully the Tigers do not lose focus on selling and rebuildung over the series win against the mediocre Blue Jays (although I am very sure Zimmermann will prevent his front office from doing so tonight). Trading the red-hot J.D. Martinez and J. Wilson should bring much needed talent; Alex Avila seems also to be a perfect fit for the Cubs. However, I would not trade away Verlander right now, since he is due for a rebound and might fetch much more next summer (with less money owed). For similar reasons, I would hold on to Fulmer, unless a club excessively overpays for him.

Let's see how Sanchez performs after his first ugly start. I haven't given up hope that he might be moved via some waiver-trade to a contender desperate for pitching help.

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Konnan511
Play Pals

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHH View Post
The age factor with Cabrera seems to be overstated right now (but it will very likely be a problem for the latter years of that contract). Players with similar 1B/DH-profiles usually do not fall off a cliff at 34. Cabrera also had a particularly good latter half in 2016.

Hopefully the Tigers do not lose focus on selling and rebuildung over the series win against the mediocre Blue Jays (although I am very sure Zimmermann will prevent his front office from doing so tonight). Trading the red-hot J.D. Martinez and J. Wilson should bring much needed talent; Alex Avila seems also to be a perfect fit for the Cubs. However, I would not trade away Verlander right now, since he is due for a rebound and might fetch much more next summer (with less money owed). For similar reasons, I would hold on to Fulmer, unless a club excessively overpays for him.

Let's see how Sanchez performs after his first ugly start. I haven't given up hope that he might be moved via some waiver-trade to a contender desperate for pitching help.

Gruß,
BSHH
Out of curiosity, why would the Tigers even entertain trading Fulmer? He's one of the best young pitchers in the game.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
Out of curiosity, why would the Tigers even entertain trading Fulmer? He's one of the best young pitchers in the game.
It would depend entirely on what we get back. With the Tigers' payroll and weak farm system, if they can grab an absolute boat load of young, top talent it'd probably be worth it.

The Celtics were probably wondering what it would take to part with guys like KG and Pierce, and then Brooklyn came calling. That sort of deal.

07-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Konnan511
Play Pals

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
It would depend entirely on what we get back. With the Tigers' payroll and weak farm system, if they can grab an absolute boat load of young, top talent it'd probably be worth it.

The Celtics were probably wondering what it would take to part with guys like KG and Pierce, and then Brooklyn came calling. That sort of deal.
True, but KG and PP were also in their mid 30s. Fulmer hasn't even hit his prime yet.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 06:15 PM
guinness
swedish milkmaid

Quote:

Looking at what Avila got back for JD...Arizona has a worse farm system ranking than the Tigers. I would be OK with prospects for Fulmer, but on the other hand, they should probably build around him instead.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Looking at what Avila got back for JD...Arizona has a worse farm system ranking than the Tigers. I would be OK with prospects for Fulmer, but on the other hand, they should probably build around him instead.
If that's the sort of return Avila's pulling in...yeah, hang onto Fulmer and hope he drafts better than he deals. Or maybe the market is just that awful. I think I would have held onto JD, rolled the dice, and seen if deals got better in a week or so.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 06:38 PM
Reality Check

If the Tigers held onto Martinez, Avila would be burned at the stake Holland-style.

I'm not really keen on the return. Granted, we need help everywhere. But I still feel as if we could and should have done better.

Maybe I'm wrong about the return itself and the value of Martinez. Him being hurt all the time doesn't help either.

Old
07-18-2017, 07:11 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

There's zero evidence that Avila knows what he's doing, so in many ways he has less rope than Holland who at least had some success in the past.

The thing here is that Avila made this deal with the deadline over 10 days away. That's not exactly expert level of negotiation there - as if that deal or something similar wasn't going to be around in a week from now.

You have the good hitter, they're willing to part with meh prospects. You got the leverage here, bud.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There's zero evidence that Avila knows what he's doing, so in many ways he has less rope than Holland who at least had some success in the past.

The thing here is that Avila made this deal with the deadline over 10 days away. That's not exactly expert level of negotiation there - as if that deal or something similar wasn't going to be around in a week from now.

You have the good hitter, they're willing to part with meh prospects. You got the leverage here, bud.
There is the chance JD breaks a leg or something and kills any potential deal. There is risk to waiting it out and trying for something better. Like you, I'd have still waited a bit, though. Or maybe the Tigers are just really high on one or two of those guys and think they see something others don't.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 08:30 PM
RabidBadger
Babcock swallows

If JD had term on his contract he may bave gotten a better haul. He is essentially a one time shot for post season glory as it stands...a pure rental player.

The intriguing part, for me, is that he brought back 2 short stops and a 3b. That tells me Iglesias and Nick may be put on notice unless it's a glaring hole (and there are many) in tbe Tigers farm system.

Best of luck to JD. He represented the team well during his tenure here.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
There is the chance JD breaks a leg or something and kills any potential deal. There is risk to waiting it out and trying for something better. Like you, I'd have still waited a bit, though. Or maybe the Tigers are just really high on one or two of those guys and think they see something others don't.
Martinez was pulled yesterday due to back spasms. I think they panicked a bit and wanted him gone before he ends up back on the DL.

I also think they wanted quantity over quality knowing it's going to be a long term fix. Which also explains why they're open to dealing Fulmer if the price is right.

I'm not sold that Avila is the right guy for a rebuild. But I'm also glad they are still going in that direction.

I honestly feared they were going to keep Martinez and gamble on making the playoffs.

Old
07-19-2017, 01:37 AM
Shoalzie
Found Footage

J.D. was a nice story since he joined the team. His career was dead in the water and he turned it all around was arguably the best hitter on the team during his time in Detroit. I wish him well...I appreciate a guy who appreciates the team that gave him a second chance.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote