HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Artturi Lehkonen

Old
10-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
The year has arrived when plekanex plays with two skilled players
Each from a different European country.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2016, 02:58 PM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

This guy has really impressed me. He works hard, plays an intelligent game, has speed, and is a SHOOTER! IMO, this has been a problem in the past... too many play makers who are pass happy. The only real shooters are Patch, Weber, Galchenyuk, and now hopefully Lehkonen. Guys like Gally, Pleky, Shaw, Markov, can shoot but their shot is not feared. When times get tough and the front of the net is hard to get through, it's nice to have outside shooters who can put the puck in the net!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
The year has arrived when plekanex plays with two skilled players
I read lots of posts of people being hard on Pleky. At the end of the day, this guy has been a true Habs player! He has always done what the team needs and is an ideal 2C or 3C! I predicted (as have others), that Radulov play with Pleky and it fits! Now if Lehkonen keeps doing what he has and is capable of... Watch out for that 2nd line!

Playing Radulov with Galchenyuk in Chuckies first full year as 1C is a mistake IMO! Patch needs to stick with Galchenyuk (for 5 on 5 play) for the whole year as Patch is a excellant 2 way player with a good (+/-) !!! MT is not my favorite coach for this team but he's not stupid and I see what he's trying to do. Habs need to stay balanced, be one of the top defensive teams, and one of the top PP teams! If they do (which is MB/MT/KM plan), they will be a very dangerous and frustrating team to play against with a guy like Price in net!

Adding Radulov, Weber, Lehkonen, Shaw and only subtracting Subban and Eller is a pretty good situation IMO

Last edited by montreal: 10-12-2016 at 09:27 AM.
HabsGorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2016, 03:23 PM
CH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
https://www.nhl.com/player/artturi-lehkonen-8477476
The Habs website has him at 6.0/174 . When he's standing next to Plekanec they seem pretty even so 5.11-ish would be my guess. Whatever it is, he's not huge but he's not tiny either. I don't see size as an issue with Lehkonen.
174 lbs is not a concern?

CH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2016, 05:52 PM
ijuka

Lehkonen's dad is an ice hockey coach and a few years ago he wrote an article about how he was helping Artturi Lehkonen develop into an NHL player since he was ~2 years old. It was a pretty interesting read.

BTW Lehkonen weighs much more than 174 now.

ijuka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Adam Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH25 View Post
Well, NHL.com have him at 182lbs.

But even if he's really at 174lbs, it should not be a concern.

Brad Marchand is listed at 181lbs
Johnny Gaudreay at 157lbs
Artemi Panarin at 170lbs
Tyler Johnson at 183lbs.
Martin St. Louis was listed at 181lbs when he retired.

Lehkonen being billed at 182lbs is right up there with the billing of some great players. But even if he's really 174lbs, he's still around the same size as some great players.

Adam Michaels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2016, 09:39 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorius View Post
The guy never played a 82 games schedule (+ very long trips) on a smaller sized ice... I dunno how long he's gonna last on that second line, playing 16-17 minutes a game.
He played 78 games last year (49 SHL, 13 CHL, 16 SHL playoffs)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2016, 10:14 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuka View Post
Lehkonen's dad is an ice hockey coach and a few years ago he wrote an article about how he was helping Artturi Lehkonen develop into an NHL player since he was ~2 years old. It was a pretty interesting read.

BTW Lehkonen weighs much more than 174 now.
Link?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Kojo

Really excited to see another small player make it into the line up.

Kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Mick11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
Really excited to see another small player make it into the line up.
Replace DD with anybody else and tadaaaa moar size.

Mick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Ozymandias
#firebergevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick11 View Post
Replace DD with anybody else and tadaaaa moar size.
Replace DD with Mac and our whole foward corps gain an inch on average, from 5'11 to 6'0.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 06:44 AM
Habs100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Replace DD with Mac and our whole foward corps gain an inch on average, from 5'11 to 6'0.

But Mac is not ready to play center in the NHL. So what do you do with the 3rd line center position: Danault, Mitchell, Shaw?

Desharnais does make nice offensive plays often. I'm interested to see what he can do with our $4 million dollar man Shaw and natural goal scoring Carr on his wings. If this doesn't produce, I'm ready to dump Desharnais.

Habs100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 07:02 AM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs100 View Post
But Mac is not ready to play center in the NHL. So what do you do with the 3rd line center position: Danault, Mitchell, Shaw?

Desharnais does make nice offensive plays often. I'm interested to see what he can do with our $4 million dollar man Shaw and natural goal scoring Carr on his wings. If this doesn't produce, I'm ready to dump Desharnais.
Well said! I think the very same. Keep DD as 3C and see what kind of production you get and then come trade deadline, see where we stand. DD as 3C with hard working wingers who can score may surprise many people! Lets not just hate DD just because the Habs have lack of NHL ready talent up the middle.

McCarron will play NHL this year for 20-40 games probably and into the playoffs, but more than likely at RW before he plays Center. He may be a Center down the road but he will be groomed into one first! Can the "win now" version of this Habs team afford to risk games by grooming a future center? Answer is no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post

Artemi Panarin at 170lbs
Tyler Johnson at 183lbs.

Lehkonen being billed at 182lbs is right up there with the billing of some great players. But even if he's really 174lbs, he's still around the same size as some great players.
Hard to find updated info on him... Looks like he's in the range of 5'-11 to 6'-0" and 175-185lbs. IMO, size is not the issue, it's about work ethic and how often a player gets injured. The NHL will be tougher on him for sure than over seas but it's not that much of big gap between them. This kid appears to be the real deal and has been a leader everywhere he has played. If you watched how the Pens won the Cup this past year, they did it with speed and smarts! Not size, that was SJ game plan

Believe the hype... many credible sources have been saying he's top end talent and ready for the NHL!

Last edited by montreal: 10-12-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old
10-12-2016, 09:43 AM
JusticeBeaver
wuba luba dub dub!

If you want to know his weight do your homework and look up his interviews with EOTP before he came to training camp. There's even an interview with the coach who said something along the lines of now that he has finally bulked up he will handle the physicality of the NHL. Think he said he was at 82-84 kilos.

Anyways doesn't matter. If you watched pre season he is at the weight that he needs to be to have an impact.

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 09:52 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I don't know his weight, but looking at him in preseason means nothing. It's how his frame will hold up in around a 100 game schedule (preseason + 82 games + playoffs) Gallagher is a mini tank so it hasn't impacted him but Lehkonen if far from the strength that Gallagher. If he's 174 it's got to be at least somewhat of a concern, even if he's at 184 were some said he was at camp, it's still a bit of a concern if he can stay at that weight. He plays a bit of an aggressive style, he's going to take a lot of abuse in and around the crease as well as the boards so it's a legit concern imo.

Old
10-12-2016, 10:14 AM
CH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
If you want to know his weight do your homework and look up his interviews with EOTP before he came to training camp. There's even an interview with the coach who said something along the lines of now that he has finally bulked up he will handle the physicality of the NHL. Think he said he was at 82-84 kilos.

Anyways doesn't matter. If you watched pre season he is at the weight that he needs to be to have an impact.
If he got bigger that's great but I'm still worried about it. Not that it's an important part of his game but I doubt he'll have much of a physical presence unless he hits the gym hard and puts on more size.

CH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Pompeius Magnus

Quote:
I don't see it as a concern because he's already got four years of pro hockey under his belt . If he was straight out of junior then I'd be more nervous about it. His last significant injury was in 2013 and since then he's been able to adapt quite nicely. That said, I do hope he continues to add some bulk to his frame now that he's around the team. He does still look a bit on the skinny side.

Pompeius Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 10:23 AM
perstakli

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He played 78 games last year (49 SHL, 13 CHL, 16 SHL playoffs)
On top of that, he also played 5 games in the NT on the Euro Hockey Tour which is still senior games against the top players playing in Europe, even if the tournament isn't that meaningful or respected. The year before he played even more, as he was still allowed to play with the U20 NT. In fact, he played 80 games all the way back in '11-'12 as a 16 year old, most of it in the Finnish U20 league..

perstakli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 10:49 AM
JusticeBeaver
wuba luba dub dub!

Quote:
If he got bigger that's great but I'm still worried about it. Not that it's an important part of his game but I doubt he'll have much of a physical presence unless he hits the gym hard and puts on more size.
He showed throughout preseason that he can hit, and can seperate players from the puck using his body. He's not going to throw bone shattering hits, but he's also not paid to do that.

The only thing you need to worry about with Lehkonen is his positioning and keeping up with the play and everything he has shown so far has been NHL material.

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 11:03 AM
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
He showed throughout preseason that he can hit, and can seperate players from the puck using his body. He's not going to throw bone shattering hits, but he's also not paid to do that.

The only thing you need to worry about with Lehkonen is his positioning and keeping up with the play and everything he has shown so far has been NHL material.
He will be sheltered by MT and playing with Pleky and Radulov is how to do this. All Lehkonen has to do is score on opportunities (which he has) and play sound defense in his own end.

Old
10-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post

Artemi Panarin at 170lbs
Tyler Johnson at 183lbs.

I think weight itself is overrated. Some people hold weight differently than others. What matters most is 'strength' and 'mass' I suppose.

At 181 5'7, St.Louis is stocky as hell. I remember screenshots of his thighs, and they were enormous.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Let's look at the favorable side of 174 for Lehkonen--he can maintain his velocity. At 204 he'd be overweight if not obese.

Old
10-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Adam Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I think weight itself is overrated. Some people hold weight differently than others. What matters most is 'strength' and 'mass' I suppose.

At 181 5'7, St.Louis is stocky as hell. I remember screenshots of his thighs, and they were enormous.
That's how I see it. It's a cliché, but the saying "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." fits the bill here.

It's been proven by many that undersized players can do absolutely great and their height and weight don't have an effect on their performance.

Adam Michaels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2016, 12:18 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

I've always been in the camp that height is overrated but less so on weight. If you have lower body strength then you should be ok, it's a must to me as players that get pushed around easily are very concerning.

Old
10-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Teufelsdreck

Henri Richard and Yvan Cournoyer did OK despite their size disadvantage.

Old
10-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Bourdon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Henri Richard and Yvan Cournoyer did OK despite their size disadvantage.
That was way to long ago to be relevant.

Bourdon101 is offline   Reply With Quote