HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ozzie's GAA

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2006, 06:53 PM
phillypensfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to phillypensfan
Ozzie's GAA

Just out of curiousity,how do they figure out what a goalie's GAA is? On yahoo they have Ozzie having a 2.86 GAA but from what I read,it's determined by games played divided by how many goals they've had scored against them...so for the heck of it,I calculated it myself and came up with a lower GAA then what is listed on yahoo. His games played is 21 and has had 57 goals scored against him,so it should round up to be 2.72 instead

maybe I'm missing something here

Old
01-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillypensfan
Just out of curiousity,how do they figure out what a goalie's GAA is? On yahoo they have Ozzie having a 2.86 GAA but from what I read,it's determined by games played divided by how many goals they've had scored against them...so for the heck of it,I calculated it myself and came up with a lower GAA then what is listed on yahoo. His games played is 21 and has had 57 goals scored against him,so it should round up to be 2.72 instead

maybe I'm missing something here
GAA takes into account time on ice, not games played. Osgood has been pulled a couple times and that's where the difference comes from.

Old
01-19-2006, 07:30 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11
GAA takes into account time on ice, not games played. Osgood has been pulled a couple times and that's where the difference comes from.
Actually he's been pulled once and finished out games where Legace and Jimmy were pulled.

Fun Fact of the day. The Wings are 1-10-1 when they score fewer than three goals in a game. And 30-2-2 when they score 3+ goals in a game.

Old
01-19-2006, 08:55 PM
august

GA / (min/60)

57 / (1196/60)

57 / (19.93) = 2.86

Old
01-19-2006, 08:55 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Actually he's been pulled once and finished out games where Legace and Jimmy were pulled.

Fun Fact of the day. The Wings are 1-10-1 when they score fewer than three goals in a game. And 30-2-2 when they score 3+ goals in a game.
Just to clarify: Legace has not been pulled in a game. He has been hurt twice and that's the only reason Ozzy has been called upon to finish a couple of his starts.

And to further your fun fact of the day: Legace is undefeated when the wings score 3+ goals. The 2 losses & 2 OT losses are all on Ozzy's record.

Old
01-20-2006, 06:27 AM
GuloGulo

GAA is a rotten stat. Median is the number one should calculate from the stats. I reckon Oz has a median of 2 or 3. A few 6:ers, which don't look good, but it's far far more likely that Oz will allow less goals. A goalie who alternates between SO and 6 GA will have GAA 3, which makes sense mathematically but doesn't prove anything hockeywise

if anything SVS is _the_ goalie stat to care about (but I don't).

Old
01-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Kattermole

Statswise, save percentage is usually the one I pay the most attention to, but I'm a firm believer in never letting stats have too much weight in arguments.
The kind of goals let in are, in my mind, much more important.
Goals against average I find are more indicative of the team rather than solely the netminder. And of course, it doesn't take into account how many shots netminders are facing.
Having a GAA of 2.15 when you are facing 20 shots a game is not as impressive as having the same GAA yet facing 40 shots a game.

Old
01-20-2006, 07:21 AM
sarcastro

We Wings fans should know better than anyone else, you can take 30-40 shots and the opposing goalie can still have an easy night. There is no indicator for quality shots and they don't keep official quality scoring chance totals either, so the best you can do is look at the sv%, the GAA, and then look at the team's style of play - if the goalie has good numbers but his team's goal differential is even or negative, then maybe it's not such a great accomplishment, the team is probably just trapping. If the team's goal differential is well into the positive, it probably means the games are more wide open and, therefore, the goalie would be facing more odd-man rushes and quality chances.

To quote the great Homer, "You can use statistics to prove anything. Formpty percent of all people know that."

Old
01-20-2006, 11:58 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
We Wings fans should know better than anyone else, you can take 30-40 shots and the opposing goalie can still have an easy night. There is no indicator for quality shots and they don't keep official quality scoring chance totals either, so the best you can do is look at the sv%, the GAA, and then look at the team's style of play - if the goalie has good numbers but his team's goal differential is even or negative, then maybe it's not such a great accomplishment, the team is probably just trapping. If the team's goal differential is well into the positive, it probably means the games are more wide open and, therefore, the goalie would be facing more odd-man rushes and quality chances.

To quote the great Homer, "You can use statistics to prove anything. Formpty percent of all people know that."
This came up in a quote thread but I think it has a much more humorous approach to the quote at the bottom.

"Statistics are just like mini-skirts, they give you good ideas but hide the most important thing."

Closed Thread