HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hey I had to beat the dead horse too

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 08:01 PM
M00se

vCash: 500
Hey I had to beat the dead horse too

There is a player that I've been coveting for a long time. A guy that I was hoping was going to be coming here for Anson Carter last March but obviously didn't. Dave Scatchard. He's big, solid defensivly, is good for about 20+ goals a year, and K-Lowe has a trade history with Mad Mike. HE would a downgrade in the offensive department, but the intangibles that he brings to the table would outweigh what we loes in offense.

The Islanders have been looking for a player for Yashin. I realize that he is a center aswell, but if I'm not mistaken he played his best hockey last year when he was put on the wing. Comrie centering a line with Yashin could be dangerous (for more ways then one .

Comrie for Scatch and a 2nd (or a prospect I don't know who, I'm not very familure with the Islanders) could work in my mind

For the sake of argument a line up of:

Isbister - Smyth - Hemsky
York - Scatchard - Dvorak
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani
Torres - Horcoff - Larque

We suddenly don't look so small anymore.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:12 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

i personally would rather have parrish out of NYI but that is just my opinion

Old
10-19-2003, 08:16 PM
M00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
i personally would rather have parris out of NYI but that is just my opinion
I could deal with Parrish, but for two reasons, he's a winger and he's incredibly inconsistant. But when he's on there aren't many better.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:16 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well We aren't a small team NOW, much less WITH Scatch. We are getting to be one of the bigger teams in the NHL now. Our blueline when Semi is in is absolutely HUGE. Our Left side players are big and tough. The only small players on the entire team Bergeron and York. Scatchard is one of my favorite players - I love the guy, he plays it the way it should be played. But don't expect the Isles to move Yashin to wing - as no he isn't nearly as effective on the flank. Comrie most certainly won't play wing and he would be third string with Peca and Alexei ahead of him. Wouldn't hold my breath for a Comrie to NYI trade.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:31 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Well We aren't a small team NOW, much less WITH Scatch. We are getting to be one of the bigger teams in the NHL now. Our blueline when Semi is in is absolutely HUGE. Our Left side players are big and tough. The only small players on the entire team Bergeron and York. Scatchard is one of my favorite players - I love the guy, he plays it the way it should be played. But don't expect the Isles to move Yashin to wing - as no he isn't nearly as effective on the flank. Comrie most certainly won't play wing and he would be third string with Peca and Alexei ahead of him. Wouldn't hold my breath for a Comrie to NYI trade.
I think Peca could play third line in the absence of Scatchard he is a selke winner after all and they have some pretty talented players that can play d and a little offense so he should still pot a reasonable point total+extra time on pk(because Scatch is gone and we know Comrie can't play there)

I like the trade I proposed before(I think Scatch+2nd is expecting too much)-

To EDM:
Scatchard
Hunter(not sure if he can make the bigs but steady improvement in the AHL and could be fairly good if he does, skating is his weakness but he's been taking power skating classes)

To NYI:
Comrie

it adds a ton of size and when Niinimaki or Pouliot make the jump to the big leagues we can change Smith back to Lw and when the second gets here trade Reasoner and move Scatch down to third.

Moreau-Scatchard-Hunter would make a big and incredibly nasty third line with a lot of grit

Old
10-19-2003, 08:33 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I think Peca could play third line in the absence of Scatchard he is a selke winner after all and they have some pretty talented players that can play d and a little offense so he should still pot a reasonable point total+extra time on pk(because Scatch is gone and we know Comrie can't play there)

I like the trade I proposed before(I think Scatch+2nd is expecting too much)-

To EDM:
Scatchard
Hunter(not sure if he can make the bigs but steady improvement in the AHL and could be fairly good if he does, skating is his weakness but he's been taking power skating classes)

To NYI:
Comrie

it adds a ton of size and when Niinimaki or Pouliot make the jump to the big leagues we can change Smith back to Lw and when the second gets here trade Reasoner and move Scatch down to third.

Moreau-Scatchard-Hunter would make a big and incredibly nasty third line with a lot of grit
Of coarse Peca can play third line minutes - but he can score with Comrie at this point in their careers - and it is folly to think that Peca will be playing third line minutes this year. He matches up against the other teams best players like a third liner would, but he takes up the Powerplay time of a second liner.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:04 PM
Cerebral

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Scatchard can't skate well enough to play Oiler hockey He's a standup guy and is a great crash and banger but I feel he would be a bit redundant in our lineup at this point in time.. we already have Moreau who essentially does what Scatchard does minus a bit of the offensive prowess. I wouldn't be terribly dissapointed if a deal like this went down but I'd prefer to get a decent defenceman or more offensive-minded centerman in return for Comrie..

Old
10-20-2003, 01:28 AM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Cerebral, i agree with the first line, he's too slow as is hunter and hunter is a bit of a cupcake unwilling to use his large frame...uhmmm isbister part two? Granted i haven't seen either of these kids this year so they may be setting the world on fire in the first 5 games, but for some reason i'm seriously doubting that.

Even though the Isles need a C to play with Yashin, i don't think the Oilers and the Isles are good trading partners.,...Cuz the Isles have almost nothing in the prospect bin, what you see on the ice is what you're getting. They've got a few kids but it is unlikely they'll move them or that they would be of interest to the team.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:21 AM
Cowboy

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
And scatchard did score 27 goals last season, it would be nice to see someone in front of the net who can bury their chances.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:06 AM
Mr Sakich

scatchard will be 28 at the end of this year. With the likelehood of the new cba lowering the ufa age to 29 after next season, he would be ufa. Comrie is too high of a price to pay for a soon to be ufa.

Old
10-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
scatchard will be 28 at the end of this year. With the likelehood of the new cba lowering the ufa age to 29 after next season, he would be ufa. Comrie is too high of a price to pay for a soon to be ufa.

FYI:

Scatchard Out 4 to 6 Weeks

(Oct. 20) The Islanders announced this evening that Dave Scatchard will miss 4-6 weeks with a dislocated right shoulder. The center suffered the injury in the Islanders' 2-1 win over Florida on Saturday.

Also, in response to some of the comments above:

1) There is no way the Isles are going to move Peca to the third line. He is the team's captain, after all, and also the team's best all-around forward. Comrie or any other center would be of zero interest.

2) I wouldn't count on the UFA age being lowered so quickly. There will be a long, long lockout before owners allow that. The actualy age in this year's CBA, btw, was 32. It was rolled back to 31 for part of the contract as concession by owners. I think there is a good chance it will be back to 32 as part of the contract.

3) Scatchard did have 27 goals last year. But, he isnt' a very creative player. NOt a good playmaker at all. He scores mostly by driving hard to the net and having decent hands. I would not be shocked to see him develop into more of a 15 - 20 goal guy than a 25 - 30 goal guy.

4) I disagree that Scatchard isn't a good skater. He is strong and balanced. He straight ahead speed is not bad at all. His lateral speed is not great though. He isn't Todd Marchant, but is also not a slug.

5) Hunter is a marginal prospect. The Isles would have to throw more in to get a deal done.

Closed Thread