HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Better Rookie Season: Vesey, Buchnevich, or Skjei

View Poll Results: Best rookie season for NYR?
Jimmy Vesey 40 16.81%
Pavel Buchnevich 132 55.46%
Brady Skjei 66 27.73%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2017, 03:51 PM
NickyFotiu

vCash: 500
Right now its almost like he is playing short handed. Who is going to set him up on that 4th line? Pirri? Oscar? He did hit a rookie wall around the 20 game mark.

As long as he hustles he should become a good player in the NHL. That is what it will basically come down to in my opinion. Will he show a NHL motor. If I'm a scout I see the things I'm looking for from a player.

1. Size
2. Skating ability
3. Good hands in close
4. Good shot
5. IQ

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 04:05 PM
FLYLine27
BUCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not the worst idea...
It's a terrible idea. Is this the year 2000 again where we trade all our good young players? Despite having none to begin with?

No college free agent would ever sign here again if we just go around trading them during their rookie season if they have a midseason slump during their rookie season... Especially all the time and consideration they put into picking a team.

Doesn't matter anyway, he's not going anywhere.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
im just laughing if we trade him after all the bs we went thru to get him here, i agree it would be a good move
Trade him to Nashville for Ekholm

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 04:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine27 View Post
It's a terrible idea. Is this the year 2000 again where we trade all our good young players? Despite having none to begin with?
You really see similarities between now and 2000?

Quote:
No college free agent would ever sign here again if we just go around trading them during their rookie season if they have a midseason slump during their rookie season... Especially all the time and consideration they put into picking a team.
I don't know if that's true. And I'm not advocating trading him because of a "midseason slump". My point is there is depth with young forwards. The defense is a mess.

And if they were to trade him, I would want a good, young player in return.

01-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Overcast

vCash: 1740
Quote:

I don't know if that's true. And I'm not advocating trading him because of a "midseason slump". My point is there is depth with young forwards. The defense is a mess.

There are other forwards that could be traded before Vesey that would most likely have much better returns. He's worth more to this organization as a player as opposed to using him as part of a trade, unless some team wants to shoot themselves in the foot to trade their bonafide #1 RHD for Vesey+Girardi. I doubt a trade with Vesey as the centerpiece would be the trade to fix this defense.

Overcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 05:30 PM
FLYLine27
BUCH

Quote:

If we were to trade him? Yes.

And like the poster above said, he is worth more to us now than what we would get in return. A Zuccerello would fetch us a much better defenseman. If we could make a Brassard type trade for a good young defenseman who is 23-24 i'd jump on that.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 05:44 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Right now its almost like he is playing short handed. Who is going to set him up on that 4th line? Pirri? Oscar? He did hit a rookie wall around the 20 game mark.

As long as he hustles he should become a good player in the NHL. That is what it will basically come down to in my opinion. Will he show a NHL motor. If I'm a scout I see the things I'm looking for from a player.

1. Size
2. Skating ability
3. Good hands in close
4. Good shot
5. IQ
That is another decision by Vigneault which hurts Vesey. But what choice is there? The top three lines are set. He did give Vesey a couple of shifts with Miller the other night. I disagree with Vesey not being used on the power play. It hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire recently. Vesey has a nose for the net and can finish. Try him.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
That is another decision by Vigneault which hurts Vesey. But what choice is there? The top three lines are set. He did give Vesey a couple of shifts with Miller the other night. I disagree with Vesey not being used on the power play. It hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire recently. Vesey has a nose for the net and can finish. Try him.
In whose place?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 07:48 PM
GeorgeKaplan

The thing that's stood out to me with Vesey is that he's trying to play along the boards more than he was, and he's not getting into the slot as much. And since he hasn't been able to create his own offense this season, and he's not putting himself in a position to score, he's largely ineffective

GeorgeKaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 07:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
If we were to trade him? Yes.
Who were the Kreider, Miller, Hayes of the 2000 team? For that matter who were the McDonough, Stepan, Zuccarello, Zibs?

Quote:
And like the poster above said, he is worth more to us now than what we would get in return. A Zuccerello would fetch us a much better defenseman. If we could make a Brassard type trade for a good young defenseman who is 23-24 i'd jump on that.
I'm not looking to trade him. That said, if an offer came in for a young, RHD who could slot into the top 4 and the other team wanted Vesey, I don't see him as untouchable.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Vitto79

Long season

Right now Buchnevich looks the most dangerous top 6 option

Vesey hit a wall but confident he's a solid 3rd liner

Skjei is the most important since he's a top 4 D

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 10:27 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
I'd put Vesey on the PP. I think a player on the PP (who I will not name so nobody gets upset) is hurting it more than helping it. I also would go away from the 1-3-1 the first unit often uses. I do not like that set up. I believe it has more disadvantages than advantages.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

I'd prefer Vesey on line 3 than Grabner. Grabner doesn't really help 5 on 5. He's good when he can get odd man rushes. Playing in a structured situation where its not a speed contest, he's not very effective. The speed contest can still happen on the fourth line.

Pavel Buchnevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Mikos87

by the end of the year it will be Buch.

Sample size is a little small right now.

If the Rangers make any sort of impact this year, it will be because of Buch being a game breaker. The forward depth is there to get him the looks.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 12:31 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
I'd prefer Vesey on line 3 than Grabner. Grabner doesn't really help 5 on 5. He's good when he can get odd man rushes. Playing in a structured situation where its not a speed contest, he's not very effective. The speed contest can still happen on the fourth line.
He has 19 or 20 goals 5 on 5...

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 01:34 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post

Yeah i don't get demoting Grabner.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 03:00 AM
mrmovies779

Quote:
Craziest thing i've read on here in weeks

mrmovies779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 07:05 AM
Griffinbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmovies779 View Post
Kinda makes sense. Grabner entirely creates his own offense, putting him on 4s wouldn't change his play much, but it might help Vesey a ton.

Griffinbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 08:28 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven

Quote:
If anyone deserves ice-time, it's Grabner

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I'm going with Skjei right now. He's been inconsistent for sure but he's been a durable presence at a more difficult position to play. Would probably be Buchnevich if he didn't miss 2 months with a bad back. Vesey has been missing in action for a while now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Yeah we should definitely demote our leading goal scorer for a guy who has gotten more and more ineffective as the season goes on. Really smart.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmovies779 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yeah we should definitely demote our leading goal scorer for a guy who has gotten more and more ineffective as the season goes on. Really smart.
I don't know how its so hard to understand that Grabner's offense is not in a structured game, its off the rush. He'll still get chances off the rush. Vesey's offense is in a structured offense.

The fourth line doesn't get much structured offensive zone time, while the third line does. Vesey could really benefit from playing with Hayes and Miller. Grabner can play with whoever. When your teammate is skating by the whole defense, it doesn't matter if its Fast or Hayes, the forward on that line can make the pass.

Pavel Buchnevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 09:31 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Felt in the mood for a fun before-season poll, to see just how good we are at predicting things as fans. People can feel free to put up others on other topics as well.

I'm interested to know which of our 3 rookies in the opening day roster is going to have the biggest positive impact This season only. Not in terms of ceiling or growth but the biggest contribution this year.

Have fun.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Went Buch mainly because he already has chemistry with Zibs and Kreids.

Vesey seems more ready for an NHL season but he has started to really click with anyone like Buch has.
Buch has most upside and star pizaz, maybe MAYBE elite potential
Vesey gets the job done, less but enough skill, a real workhorse.

Vesey hits the wall like 99%, straight jump from college, no prob going forward.
Buch, my only concern is his back.

very happy w/both

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwede View Post
Nieves
next year. WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Skjei. Will establish himself as a legit top-4 d-man.
graded on a curve, went with him because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijock94 View Post
Voted Skjei. Wanted to vote Buch cause he is absolutely electric, but I factored in the durability and the fact that Skjei is playing a position which carries more responsibility and is by all accounts the tougher to adjust to at the pro level.
... bingo^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
tough call here.

buch has been hurt but when he plays hes been effective and looks as advertised. hes so smooth and his passing is sublime. hes certainly more playmaker than finisher so far. im impressed by how quick he does stuff with the puck, his passes are up tempo and his shots look like they arrive with purpose. at the same time, hes able to do stuff in a controlled, composed fashion and not look hurried. he seems relaxed and confident every time i watch him.

being able to do things at pace and yet look not hurried or discombobulated, is the sigh of a high end player.

vesey seems more straight ahead and less flashy. more finisher than playmaker. to me, hes a young rick nash with similar strengths and ability to finish. hes also as advertised. i think hes tired and is feeling the effects of all these games. hes got a pro body and a top notch attitude/work ethic. hell be fine.

both of these guys are gems.

skjei isnt flashy and is struggling along with the entire defense right now. hes a bull and a kid who can really motor when hes moving his feet. as a mostly defensive guy, i believe hes got more offensive upside than hes shown. with his size and wheels, hell be a solid nhl defender. like the other 2, hes very young and playing D is tougher then playing wing in the nhl. growing pains. im still bullish on brady skjei.

1. buchy
2. vesey
3. skjei
sums it up nicely, except it is a real pick 'em

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Inferno

vCash: 857
I agree with pb....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 02:42 PM
bl02

Buch is in top 20 in rookie scoring and has played 30 less games than most of the other rookies lol.
If he plays in most of the games this year he's in the top 5.
And Skjei is just a point behind being number 2 among rookie dmen. No one is catching Werenski cause he generates most of his points on the pp.

bl02 is offline   Reply With Quote