HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Better Rookie Season: Vesey, Buchnevich, or Skjei

View Poll Results: Best rookie season for NYR?
Jimmy Vesey 40 16.81%
Pavel Buchnevich 132 55.46%
Brady Skjei 66 27.73%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2017, 03:22 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I agree with pb....
Grabner has chemistry with Fast, and it further deepens the forward group. I wouldn't have a problem with it, either.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 04:54 PM
BroadwayStorm

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayStorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
I'd prefer Vesey on line 3 than Grabner. Grabner doesn't really help 5 on 5. He's good when he can get odd man rushes. Playing in a structured situation where its not a speed contest, he's not very effective. The speed contest can still happen on the fourth line.
This is poor logic considering all his goals are 5 on 5 while playing with Miller and Hayes.

BroadwayStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 06:01 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl02 View Post
Buch is in top 20 in rookie scoring and has played 30 less games than most of the other rookies lol.
If he plays in most of the games this year he's in the top 5.
And Skjei is just a point behind being number 2 among rookie dmen. No one is catching Werenski cause he generates most of his points on the pp.
2nd in the league in P/60 in all situations, 1st in the league in P/60 at ES.

- Vince Pedrie
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqAEM4DVoE/
Amazing Kreiderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 08:30 PM
Larrybiv
Rangers fan forever!

Is it too late? Well, I voted for Skeji even though we are well into our 46th game and knowing what Vesey has done with his sparkling impactful 25 games or so and now cooling off a bit.

And knowing how potentially "all-world" Buch can and will be and "is" as good as anyone can be with 14 pts in only 14 games played.

Yeah, I voted Skeji and here's why. In a season where we have seen the surprising "d"Klein of Kevin, the erosion of a once Godly warrior that blocked just about as many shots as his goaltender, and the injury decimated talent of a Marc Staal we have witnessed the arrival of a highly touted kid that may have graduated to the big club a year earlier than expected out of sheer necessity.

He was then placed on the right side of a beleaguered right handed defenseless team and asked to "give it a go, let's see how you do". No complaints from him, just wanted to play as anyone would.

My point is, defense......especially in New York is second most difficult only to goaltending. Every mistake is magnified, and the most difficult position to play learning "on the fly" in the nhl. Now, considering everything, he's been invaluable to this team. He's going to get better, he is going to mature. The talent is there.

He has the 3rd most points by a rookie defenseman (Werenski 26, Provorov 20, Skeji 19)
2nd in even strength pts. with 16 (Provorov 17, Werenski only 10)

Offensive production isn't everything, but it IS the new NHL. He skates like the wind, and not everyone can, just ask Dan and Marc.

On a defensively challenged team and a declining goaltender.....I'd say, he is more valuable to this team than the above. Oh wait, that wasnt the question, right?

Last edited by Larrybiv: 01-21-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Larrybiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Larrybiv
Rangers fan forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
I'd put Vesey on the PP. I think a player on the PP (who I will not name so nobody gets upset) is hurting it more than helping it. I also would go away from the 1-3-1 the first unit often uses. I do not like that set up. I believe it has more disadvantages than advantages.
Oooh, I'm not afraid......you speak of Stepan, right! Oh please, I' ve been saying that for a couple years now. Much rather Vesey on the PP, put him around the net, he's a badass hard nosed player that will "collect the garbage" that Hadfield used to get.

Last edited by Larrybiv: 01-21-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old
01-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Larrybiv
Rangers fan forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijock94 View Post
Voted Skjei. Wanted to vote Buch cause he is absolutely electric, but I factored in the durability and the fact that Skjei is playing a position which carries more responsibility and is by all accounts the tougher to adjust to at the pro level.
Yeah, my sentiments exacty.

Old
01-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

I feel like most of our fan base is out to lunch in their assessments of Skjei's game. I just don't think he has much hockey skill, and I don't think he's been particularly good this season.

And I'm not calling Larrybiv who just posted about Skjei or anyone else out. There have been a lot of people who think Skjei's been so good. I don't agree.

Pavel Buchnevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 09:33 PM
PlamsUnlimited
Coming Home

Quote:
I feel like most of our fan base is out to lunch in their assessments of Skjei's game. I just don't think he has much hockey skill, and I don't think he's been particularly good this season.

And I'm not calling Larrybiv who just posted about Skjei or anyone else out. There have been a lot of people who think Skjei's been so good. I don't agree.
I tend to agree here. Skjei is having a rough year.

PlamsUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 10:49 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:

I don't think he's as good as some people have been saying, but also not as bad as some people are saying.

Somewhere in the middle. Still, with the overall season he's had, I think he'll only get better. It's practically his rookie season.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 07:48 AM
Larrybiv
Rangers fan forever!

Thanks for not "calling me out", but can we at least agree that he's been a pretty good offensive defenseman that makes plays? This is the "new NHL and whether we like it or not, this is what AV likes. You need your dmen to do what Brady brings......oh and lets not forget the little money he makes to balance....well, u know.

Old
01-22-2017, 12:27 PM
gorangers0525

I like Brady's raw skill set, I think he will become a decent mid pairing defenseman. Still has a lot to learn.

Vesey's been damn near invisible for 20 games already.

gorangers0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorangers0525 View Post
I like Brady's raw skill set, I think he will become a decent mid pairing defenseman. Still has a lot to learn.

Vesey's been damn near invisible for 20 games already.
Vesey needs to adjust to pro hockey. Give it a year or two

Old
01-22-2017, 05:49 PM
silverfish
Not a GM

Imagine if this was Etem playing the way Vesey has been. And Vesey has Pirri and Lindberg, not Glass and Stoll.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrybiv View Post
Thanks for not "calling me out", but can we at least agree that he's been a pretty good offensive defenseman that makes plays? This is the "new NHL and whether we like it or not, this is what AV likes. You need your dmen to do what Brady brings......oh and lets not forget the little money he makes to balance....well, u know.
Its the new NHL, and skating matters a lot, but besides skating, I don't think he does anything incredibly well. Look at his point totals in previous seasons in leagues where if he was going to be an NHL'er, he should've at least put up decent point totals. His point totals have not been what you'd consider from a consistent 30 point per season player in the NHL.

I also don't think his hockey skill is that good. Weak shot, hockey smarts are only okay, stick handling is only okay. I think he's a good passer, but not more than good. He's statistically not good on the PP either.

In the end, I think he's probably an excellent skater, okay offensively and okay defensively at his best. Probably a middle pairing defenseman eventually.

Pavel Buchnevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 08:13 PM
Geoff Gorden
Fire me

Quote:

The only one who is out to lunch on him is you.

Has he been perfect? No, but you'd have to be blind to not see that hes flashed as a top 4 cornerstone.

Hes been better than 3 of our "vets" by a fair margin.

Geoff Gorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Its the new NHL, and skating matters a lot, but besides skating, I don't think he does anything incredibly well. Look at his point totals in previous seasons in leagues where if he was going to be an NHL'er, he should've at least put up decent point totals. His point totals have not been what you'd consider from a consistent 30 point per season player in the NHL.

I also don't think his hockey skill is that good. Weak shot, hockey smarts are only okay, stick handling is only okay. I think he's a good passer, but not more than good. He's statistically not good on the PP either.

In the end, I think he's probably an excellent skater, okay offensively and okay defensively at his best. Probably a middle pairing defenseman eventually.
I think most of us predicted that Skjei would become a very good 2nd pair d-man. Honestly, with where he was drafted in a weak draft, that's a home run type pick.

Old
01-22-2017, 08:27 PM
NickyFotiu
NYR 2017 Cup Champs!

Quote:

Brady has a lot of skill in my opinion but so did John Moore. He has size, very good wheels, a motor, etc. Brady's problem has been his decision making. He sometimes jumps in to the offense in dangerous situations. His play in his own zone has been both good and bad. In my opinion he has played very good at times and bad at other times. He is a rookie so that is not shocking. My hope is that as he ages his decision making matures.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 08:57 PM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

Brady Skjei just played an amazing game today, displaying great hands, IQ, and skill, so there's always that.

Mac n Gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Geoff Gorden
Fire me

Skjei has already produced more this season than John Moore has in any season in his career.

I get that they're both US born LHD who can skate, but Skjei is 29032032032039 times more creative in the offensive zone.

Geoff Gorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 10:59 PM
NickyFotiu
NYR 2017 Cup Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac n Gs View Post
Brady Skjei just played an amazing game today, displaying great hands, IQ, and skill, so there's always that.
Im happy with Brady. I hope people do not misunderstand my post. I expect rookie defensemen to have some bumps in the road.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 11:13 PM
FLYLine27*
BUCH

Skjei is having a great season as a rookie player. How anyone could say otherwise is beyond me.

FLYLine27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 11:38 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine27 View Post
Skjei is having a great season as a rookie player. How anyone could say otherwise is beyond me.
No kidding.

Has he been great? No, he's made mistakes and has had bad games, but it's par for the course for essentially most rookies.

The fact that some people are saying he sucks and that he'll never be good is mind boggling to me. He's a rookie for crying out loud, and that for all intents and purposes, has had a good rookie season.

Old
01-23-2017, 08:17 AM
silverfish
Not a GM

It's not that Skjei is bad. It's that he's just good.

There's a difference.

Not great.
Not bad.
Good.

2LD ceiling. Nothing wrong with that.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven

If Skjei turns into a good 2nd pairing D-man, I am incredibly happy. A late 1st round pick developing into a 3rd/4th D-man is great. Sure, we all want to find those gems in later rounds and hope they develop into elite players but anything outside a top-5 pick is a gamble.

Old
01-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjee View Post
Imagine if this was Etem playing the way Vesey has been. And Vesey has Pirri and Lindberg, not Glass and Stoll.
Etem would be getting thrashed, and rightfully so. Vesey is a rookie who has never played this much hockey in his life. He gets the benefit of the doubt, just like Etem did for several seasons while he was trying to break into the NHL.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote