HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL TV ratings 2016/17

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2017, 06:40 AM
Bluefan75

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
Because ESPN is paying 10x more than what NBC is paying, and is only getting 3x more viewers than NHL....i thought for sure ESPN was losing money. But today on PTI, Tony said it's raining money like crazy over at ESPN because of NBA..

So if ESPN is making a killing, does that mean NBC is making just as much a killing, if not more???

I'm confused because i always thought that ESPN deal was not good for them and that they paid too much. not according to Tony.
So an ESPN show said ESPN is making a lot of money? So long as sub fees are covering the rights fees, you can couch it as "the NBA is bringing us a ton of money." And the finals may have brought in a lot of cash. But I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Old
06-16-2017, 07:08 AM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
If ESPN is making so much money that it is "raining" money there, then why did an enormous amount of people get laid off?

Answer: it isn't.

Old
06-16-2017, 01:38 PM
PuckProphet

While i offer no opinion on ESPN's financial situation or revenue ...The reason so many guys got laid off is because us fans.... There are more new "sports sites" than ever before... The new latest sports start up has become the independent website .... What made ESPN popular or relevant was the highlights ..In this new era of internet the sports highlight the mini clip is completely saturated...There are more professional grade sports sites popping up from displaced professionals than ever before ...Relating to hockey there are literally thousands of quasi professional sites all over the place ....
Remember that guy who used to do the cap site who unfortunately contracted some illness and passed ...He refused to sell his site letting it die with him....RIP in loving memory .... However the point is 4 or 5 took its place ....
Also the ESPN goofiness is also a marketing tactic ...they look at World Star they look at parody accounts and think he be crazy and funny its a draw ....
Bottom line ESPN whether it be money or attention just cut the staff because the staff could not compete with the start up ...whatever name

Old
06-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4000000
It seems apparent that the NHL's high water mark during the finals is between 8 and 9 million fans nationwide no matter who is playing. In today's 500 channel universe that is a decent number.

If you add up the average audience of all the RSN's in the US that we have ratings for you are looking at a pool of a little over 10 million fans who have a strong interest in hockey.

The NHL's challenge is attracting younger fans to compensate for older fans who are no longer with us and they are not alone with this problem.

Hockey and baseball share the same problem that many feel the season is over when their team is eliminated. The NBA is star driven as fans will tune in to watch individual players, that will never be the case with hockey.

The NFL is still another universe. In just about every market the NFL team is the most popular or a close second and more importantly fans will watch a neutral game.

When the next US TV contract comes up in 4 years the rights fee will go up but I can't see it going above 500 million a year unless somebody overpays. I expect NBC/Comcast will try and lock it up before the NHL solicits other bids. The uncertainty of the next CBA will be a factor but since Comcast is also a team owner it may not be that big of an issue.

The unknown is does any other network WANT the NHL badly enough? The obvious player is FOX which can also deliver the OTA component that the NHL craves and a cable network in FS1 that is still seeking a flagship sport. FOX is a major NHL partner at the local level so does Bettman decide to roll the dice and solicit bids to see what is out there? I don't think ESPN/ABC has that much interest because of the NBA. CBS could be a sleeper as the CBS Sports Network could use a flagship sport as well.

Old
06-18-2017, 04:47 PM
USAUSA1

Fox definitely will be in the mix because having the Stanley cup playoffs is a big scoop.

Nhl not getting $500 million but 300 million is likely.

Old
06-18-2017, 05:21 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
Fox definitely will be in the mix because having the Stanley cup playoffs is a big scoop.

Nhl not getting $500 million but 300 million is likely.
It was $200M in 2011 and NBC got a bargain. It will be a lot more than $300M.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:29 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL look to have more than one partner like the MLB and NBA have. Perhaps a deal with FOX and NBC is possible?

Also, the NHL will get much more than $300 million per year. Given the need for live programming and the fact the NHL playoffs is a viable cable entity, my guess is they'll be somewhere in the $600 million range.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:41 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
I think it'll be NBC and FOX splitting it.

I can see a scenario similar to MLB, where in the regular season FS1 focuses to a certain extent on the teams they have regional rights for (which NBC has been doing to an extent all these years, recycling CSN feeds for the Hawks, Caps, Flyers, & Sharks). NBC keeps their Wednesday night exclusivity. Would be great to be on FS1 on Saturdays after CFB ends as a UFC lead in.

Each network will get a conference final - it's the 1st 2 rounds that might be interesting as NBC will still want to air multiple games on their networks without outside competition, so they might have to structure it where 1 night FS1 has a late game on it's own and NBCSN & USA/CNBC have the early 2, and vice versa.

And NBC has the whole Cup Final - no FOX OTA, their whole deal is for FS1.

Old
06-19-2017, 11:43 AM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
It seems apparent that the NHL's high water mark during the finals is between 8 and 9 million fans nationwide no matter who is playing. In today's 500 channel universe that is a decent number.

If you add up the average audience of all the RSN's in the US that we have ratings for you are looking at a pool of a little over 10 million fans who have a strong interest in hockey.

The NHL's challenge is attracting younger fans to compensate for older fans who are no longer with us and they are not alone with this problem.

Hockey and baseball share the same problem that many feel the season is over when their team is eliminated. The NBA is star driven as fans will tune in to watch individual players, that will never be the case with hockey.

The NFL is still another universe. In just about every market the NFL team is the most popular or a close second and more importantly fans will watch a neutral game.

When the next US TV contract comes up in 4 years the rights fee will go up but I can't see it going above 500 million a year unless somebody overpays. I expect NBC/Comcast will try and lock it up before the NHL solicits other bids. The uncertainty of the next CBA will be a factor but since Comcast is also a team owner it may not be that big of an issue.

The unknown is does any other network WANT the NHL badly enough? The obvious player is FOX which can also deliver the OTA component that the NHL craves and a cable network in FS1 that is still seeking a flagship sport. FOX is a major NHL partner at the local level so does Bettman decide to roll the dice and solicit bids to see what is out there? I don't think ESPN/ABC has that much interest because of the NBA. CBS could be a sleeper as the CBS Sports Network could use a flagship sport as well.

I've always had a theory that football is a more popular sport for fans because after a certain point (week six or so for college, week ten-ish for the NFL) every game is pretty much an elimination game. People love do or die-type games, and the setup of the football schedule and the fact that there's so few games creates a lot more of those situations.

I've got no clue how to fix that for any of the other major sports with larger game inventories and playoff series versus single games.

06-19-2017, 01:34 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL look to have more than one partner like the MLB and NBA have. Perhaps a deal with FOX and NBC is possible?

Also, the NHL will get much more than $300 million per year. Given the need for live programming and the fact the NHL playoffs is a viable cable entity, my guess is they'll be somewhere in the $600 million range.
600m? Thats it? I thought the NHL was killing it on tv down south. That's about what the NHL gets from rogers and rogers has 1/10th the viewerbase. Seems to me that 600m would be a steal for any network.

Old
06-20-2017, 12:53 AM
ForumNamePending

Ya... If the NHL can't get ~500 million/year from the next US contract it probably means the media rights bubble for sports has finally popped. If the bubble does burst I wonder if the NHL, given that they are accustomed to not getting huge money from national TV contracts, might be in better shape than some other leagues where it makes up a larger percentage of revenue.

Old
06-20-2017, 01:54 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNamePending View Post
Ya... If the NHL can't get ~500 million/year from the next US contract it probably means the media rights bubble for sports has finally popped. If the bubble does burst I wonder if the NHL, given that they are accustomed to not getting huge money from national TV contracts, might be in better shape than some other leagues where it makes up a larger percentage of revenue.
The bubble is going to burst and you raise a good point that the NHL might be in a better position to handle the fallout.

Consumers see cellphone bills dropping and wonder why cable is still going up.

Old
06-20-2017, 08:26 AM
cutchemist42

ESPN wouldnt bid? Did the World Cup flop sour them that much?

Old
06-20-2017, 09:26 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
ESPN wouldnt bid? Did the World Cup flop sour them that much?
They'll absolutely bid if the NHL gets to the point where it is accepting them.

The problem with ESPN is time slots. Are they going to be willing to demote college basketball on Mon, Tues, Thurs? Wednesday and Friday are obvious nos. And they have college football on Thursday until that ends. So will they be stuck on ESPN2 primarily?

Where ESPN does have lots of openings is during the playoffs, as Turner does have the bulk of the 1st couple NBA rounds. ESPN only has Friday in round 1, Thursday & Friday in round 2, and weekend nights (not counting ABC weekend games), Monday-Wednesday and Thursdays in the 1st is all TNT & NBATV.

Old
06-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
They'll absolutely bid if the NHL gets to the point where it is accepting them.

The problem with ESPN is time slots. Are they going to be willing to demote college basketball on Mon, Tues, Thurs? Wednesday and Friday are obvious nos. And they have college football on Thursday until that ends. So will they be stuck on ESPN2 primarily?

Where ESPN does have lots of openings is during the playoffs, as Turner does have the bulk of the 1st couple NBA rounds. ESPN only has Friday in round 1, Thursday & Friday in round 2, and weekend nights (not counting ABC weekend games), Monday-Wednesday and Thursdays in the 1st is all TNT & NBATV.
I disagree. College basketball games can be on a 5pm and the NHL at 8:30pm.

Old
06-20-2017, 12:32 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
I've always had a theory that football is a more popular sport for fans because after a certain point (week six or so for college, week ten-ish for the NFL) every game is pretty much an elimination game. People love do or die-type games, and the setup of the football schedule and the fact that there's so few games creates a lot more of those situations.

I've got no clue how to fix that for any of the other major sports with larger game inventories and playoff series versus single games.
Cut down the number of games in a season.

82 is far, far too many games to eliminate just half the league from contention. Cut it to 60.

Either that, or cut down the number of playoff teams to 4 per conference.

Neither will ever happen, but it would instantly make every single game significantly more compelling.

Old
06-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The bubble is going to burst and you raise a good point that the NHL might be in a better position to handle the fallout.

Consumers see cellphone bills dropping and wonder why cable is still going up.
When the party ends with cable TV contracts then some leagues currently enjoyed the fruits of ridiculous contracts might take a haircut but in the long run any sports league will be ok as long as people want to view their product because they ultimately own the content. If anything the NHL is well positioned because they never became as addicted to this as say the NFL or NBA have, the Rogers contract being their only little taste of that plum.

I myself am a cord cutter and I'm paying MLB and the NHL roughly 100$ a year each to watch all games on stream so they are not exactly losing out on me. I see this year now MLB seems to have some ad contract with Procter and Gamble because I'm seeing their product ads on commercial breaks between innings so that's even more value for them. I assume in the future I will be getting personally targeted ads like I get when browsing websites, which is even more lucrative.

Old
06-20-2017, 02:57 PM
cutchemist42

So maybe a whole other topic....but when the bubble bursts how important is expansion to new markets? At that point its just about ticket sales with less of a focus on what that market brings in for tv? Some say places like Phnx/Atl/etc. were long plays that they would be worth tv money.

Old
06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
So maybe a whole other topic....but when the bubble bursts how important is expansion to new markets? At that point its just about ticket sales with less of a focus on what that market brings in for tv? Some say places like Phnx/Atl/etc. were long plays that they would be worth tv money.

There will still be viewing audience even without TV. It will just be via streaming services instead of cable boxes.

Old
06-22-2017, 04:06 PM
Nicky Santoro

The biggest shock of the yr for me in the ratings dept did not come in a game, but it came yesterday. The NHL awards was on tv. nothing else really on.. on Twitter, of the 10 topic trending, 8 of them was NHL awards related. Every city that has an NHL team was involved in this too. I really thought i'd see 4M viewers..

instead, ONLY 595k viewers on nbcsn. WOW.. i thought just PIT alone would get 595k because they won the cup and local boy Joe Manganiello was hosting, PLUS the expansion draft was on too.. boy was i off!!!. i was off by a lot, too.

I can't believe only 595k ppl watched this in the whole US of A.

Does anyone know what Sportsnet got? that would be great if someone can find this. i have to think over 2.5M watched, if not more. It was entertaining and funny too. i am shocked by this. not only that, it was the lowest viewed show on cable last night. I guess americans don't care about NHL awards.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dai...-june-21-2017/

Old
06-23-2017, 06:39 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

They found 595 thousand people to watch that ****?

The NFL's award show only gets 5 million viewers a year, which is small compared to what their games get.

Old
06-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
The biggest shock of the yr for me in the ratings dept did not come in a game, but it came yesterday. The NHL awards was on tv. nothing else really on.. on Twitter, of the 10 topic trending, 8 of them was NHL awards related. Every city that has an NHL team was involved in this too. I really thought i'd see 4M viewers..

instead, ONLY 595k viewers on nbcsn. WOW.. i thought just PIT alone would get 595k because they won the cup and local boy Joe Manganiello was hosting, PLUS the expansion draft was on too.. boy was i off!!!. i was off by a lot, too.

I can't believe only 595k ppl watched this in the whole US of A.

Does anyone know what Sportsnet got? that would be great if someone can find this. i have to think over 2.5M watched, if not more. It was entertaining and funny too. i am shocked by this. not only that, it was the lowest viewed show on cable last night. I guess americans don't care about NHL awards.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dai...-june-21-2017/
I can't say that's shocking. The season is over; it's summer time now. I've been a hockey fan for 30+ years and that was the first time I watched the awards show solely for the expansion draft aspect.

Old
06-23-2017, 07:43 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
They found 595 thousand people to watch that ****?

The NFL's award show only gets 5 million viewers a year, which is small compared to what their games get.

if the NFL got only 5M, then i guess 595k isn't that bad afterall. I was just comparing it to the ESPY's where it got 6M viewers last yr, and 7.5M viewers 2 yrs ago when Caitlyn Jenner was being honored.

I still wish we can get a Sporsnet rating. I wonder how canada did. I still think we broke 2M easily. It would be interesting to see.

hey Fenway, where are you?? this is your dept.. you are Mr Canada Ratings on this board.

Old
06-24-2017, 11:35 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 199

Old
Yesterday, 12:49 AM
Nicky Santoro

thx sabre. so i was right, just about 2M ppl in Canada watched it. boy, canada really loves their hockey.

595k out of 321M watched it in the US or 1/600 ppl watched it in US
2M out of 35M watched it in canada. or 1/17 ppl watched in Canada.

Closed Thread