HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Filpulla help please

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2006, 12:59 PM
  #1
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy
 
WADEugottaBELAKthat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Did I mention that..
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Filpulla help please

Is this guy a Centre or a left-winger??

What position will he be should he ever play for Detroit for a long time?

WADEugottaBELAKthat is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 01:29 PM
  #2
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,297
vCash: 500
Natural center, though odds are against him playing that position with the Wings. Similar situation as with Zetterberg for the bulk of his NHL career, though Hank will be at center once Lang moves on (whenever that happens). Same thing is/will affect Hudler.

Oh and further help. Valtteri Filppula.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 01:44 PM
  #3
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 500
When Lang is gone and Z moves to center, Flip will be able to center the third line. If he makes it onto a scoring line, then yeah, he's probably a LW on this team.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 02:14 PM
  #4
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
When Lang is gone and Z moves to center, Flip will be able to center the third line. If he makes it onto a scoring line, then yeah, he's probably a LW on this team.
If Draper isn't around anymore I see Franzen filling that role. Filppula isn't a checking line player. He can, but it wouldn't be the best way to utilize his abilities. Too much of a scorer's touch in him.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 02:22 PM
  #5
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
If Draper isn't around anymore I see Franzen filling that role. Filppula isn't a checking line player. He can, but it wouldn't be the best way to utilize his abilities. Too much of a scorer's touch in him.
If he shows he's a 60+ point player, then yes, he should probably be on a scoring line. But I'm thinking that if you had a line like Franzen-Filppula-Cleary, that would be a third line that would score a lot of goals and be very responsible on D. Then if your scoring lines were Shanahan-Zetterberg-Williams and Homer-Datsyuk-Grigorenko/UFA pickup, then you would have two very potent scoring lines and a third line that would be very very tough to match up against.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 03:01 PM
  #6
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy
 
WADEugottaBELAKthat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Did I mention that..
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
What's Filppula's skill-set like?

What does he do well/not-so-well?

Who does he remind you of in the NHL?

WADEugottaBELAKthat is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 03:10 PM
  #7
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard
What's Filppula's skill-set like?

What does he do well/not-so-well?

Who does he remind you of in the NHL?
Honestly... Zetterberg. He's strong on the puck. Always in pursuit of the puck. More of a passer than a shooter. A skill guy that is capable of mucking along the boards and in front of the net. Not particularly fast, big, or strong, but good enough in each to get by.

Will he be as good as Zetterberg? Who knows. We don't even know how good Zetterberg will end up being yet. I'm sure there are other similar guys that he would compare to, but Hank-lite at this point comes to mind the easiest.

And to sarcastro, yes that would make a pretty good checking line. Hank would do well in the role as well, but is better served to be responsible presence on a scoring line. We'll see how our roster turns out in the coming seasons. I'm thrilled with the amount of guys we have coming in, that even though likely won't be game breakers, they should be quality guys to make a team with.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 03:27 PM
  #8
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard
What's Filppula's skill-set like?

What does he do well/not-so-well?

Who does he remind you of in the NHL?
I don't know who he reminds me of, honestly.

From all accounts, he has a good shot, not great, good speed, not great, he plays strong but not physical, he takes care of things in his own end, and he's an outstanding passer. The thing that seems to set him apart is his hockey IQ is off the charts. I guess maybe I would say that a high-end (very high end, but he's all I can come up with) would be Tanguay, and a low-end would be maybe a Brylin or an Axelsson. I pulled all that right out of my pooper, though, so don't take it too seriously. I haven't seen the kid enough yet.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 04:54 PM
  #9
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming
 
GoBoltz56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa and Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Most people compare him with Zetterberg. I've watched him play alot this year and I agree that his hockey sense is unbelievable, and he's a great passer. For a smaller offensive guy, he sure grits it out along the boards and in the corner, and he's a tireless worker/forechecker. IMHO I think he'll end up as a poor mans Zetterberg. Maybe a 15-20 goal guy and 30 assists...2nd liner. But he has high upside.

GoBoltz56 is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 11:23 PM
  #10
Coffey77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
I don't know who he reminds me of, honestly.

From all accounts, he has a good shot, not great, good speed, not great, he plays strong but not physical, he takes care of things in his own end, and he's an outstanding passer. The thing that seems to set him apart is his hockey IQ is off the charts. I guess maybe I would say that a high-end (very high end, but he's all I can come up with) would be Tanguay, and a low-end would be maybe a Brylin or an Axelsson. I pulled all that right out of my pooper, though, so don't take it too seriously. I haven't seen the kid enough yet.
Similar skill set to Zetterberg. Whether he will be like that...don't know.

However, Filppula is bigger and faster than Zetterberg. Filppula is now listed at 5-11 200.

Coffey77 is offline  
Old
01-22-2006, 10:04 PM
  #11
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Similar skill set to Zetterberg. Whether he will be like that...don't know.

However, Filppula is bigger and faster than Zetterberg. Filppula is now listed at 5-11 200.
That's a little heavier than Z, but Hank is six foot tall. Looking at the two during Filppula's brief callup they looked about the same build to me But yeah, I'd say they have a very similar skill set and I really help Filppula turns into Z jr.

doublejack is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.