HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Filpulla help please

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2006, 12:59 PM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

vCash: 500
Filpulla help please

Is this guy a Centre or a left-winger??

What position will he be should he ever play for Detroit for a long time?

Old
01-20-2006, 01:29 PM
norrisnick

Natural center, though odds are against him playing that position with the Wings. Similar situation as with Zetterberg for the bulk of his NHL career, though Hank will be at center once Lang moves on (whenever that happens). Same thing is/will affect Hudler.

Oh and further help. Valtteri Filppula.

Old
01-20-2006, 01:44 PM
sarcastro

When Lang is gone and Z moves to center, Flip will be able to center the third line. If he makes it onto a scoring line, then yeah, he's probably a LW on this team.

Old
01-20-2006, 02:14 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
When Lang is gone and Z moves to center, Flip will be able to center the third line. If he makes it onto a scoring line, then yeah, he's probably a LW on this team.
If Draper isn't around anymore I see Franzen filling that role. Filppula isn't a checking line player. He can, but it wouldn't be the best way to utilize his abilities. Too much of a scorer's touch in him.

Old
01-20-2006, 02:22 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
If Draper isn't around anymore I see Franzen filling that role. Filppula isn't a checking line player. He can, but it wouldn't be the best way to utilize his abilities. Too much of a scorer's touch in him.
If he shows he's a 60+ point player, then yes, he should probably be on a scoring line. But I'm thinking that if you had a line like Franzen-Filppula-Cleary, that would be a third line that would score a lot of goals and be very responsible on D. Then if your scoring lines were Shanahan-Zetterberg-Williams and Homer-Datsyuk-Grigorenko/UFA pickup, then you would have two very potent scoring lines and a third line that would be very very tough to match up against.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:01 PM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

What's Filppula's skill-set like?

What does he do well/not-so-well?

Who does he remind you of in the NHL?

Old
01-20-2006, 03:10 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard

Honestly... Zetterberg. He's strong on the puck. Always in pursuit of the puck. More of a passer than a shooter. A skill guy that is capable of mucking along the boards and in front of the net. Not particularly fast, big, or strong, but good enough in each to get by.

Will he be as good as Zetterberg? Who knows. We don't even know how good Zetterberg will end up being yet. I'm sure there are other similar guys that he would compare to, but Hank-lite at this point comes to mind the easiest.

And to sarcastro, yes that would make a pretty good checking line. Hank would do well in the role as well, but is better served to be responsible presence on a scoring line. We'll see how our roster turns out in the coming seasons. I'm thrilled with the amount of guys we have coming in, that even though likely won't be game breakers, they should be quality guys to make a team with.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:27 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard

I don't know who he reminds me of, honestly.

From all accounts, he has a good shot, not great, good speed, not great, he plays strong but not physical, he takes care of things in his own end, and he's an outstanding passer. The thing that seems to set him apart is his hockey IQ is off the charts. I guess maybe I would say that a high-end (very high end, but he's all I can come up with) would be Tanguay, and a low-end would be maybe a Brylin or an Axelsson. I pulled all that right out of my pooper, though, so don't take it too seriously. I haven't seen the kid enough yet.

Old
01-20-2006, 04:54 PM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

Most people compare him with Zetterberg. I've watched him play alot this year and I agree that his hockey sense is unbelievable, and he's a great passer. For a smaller offensive guy, he sure grits it out along the boards and in the corner, and he's a tireless worker/forechecker. IMHO I think he'll end up as a poor mans Zetterberg. Maybe a 15-20 goal guy and 30 assists...2nd liner. But he has high upside.

Old
01-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
I don't know who he reminds me of, honestly.

From all accounts, he has a good shot, not great, good speed, not great, he plays strong but not physical, he takes care of things in his own end, and he's an outstanding passer. The thing that seems to set him apart is his hockey IQ is off the charts. I guess maybe I would say that a high-end (very high end, but he's all I can come up with) would be Tanguay, and a low-end would be maybe a Brylin or an Axelsson. I pulled all that right out of my pooper, though, so don't take it too seriously. I haven't seen the kid enough yet.
Similar skill set to Zetterberg. Whether he will be like that...don't know.

However, Filppula is bigger and faster than Zetterberg. Filppula is now listed at 5-11 200.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:04 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Similar skill set to Zetterberg. Whether he will be like that...don't know.

However, Filppula is bigger and faster than Zetterberg. Filppula is now listed at 5-11 200.
That's a little heavier than Z, but Hank is six foot tall. Looking at the two during Filppula's brief callup they looked about the same build to me But yeah, I'd say they have a very similar skill set and I really help Filppula turns into Z jr.

Closed Thread