HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What is Brad Richards worth?

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Hockeyfan02

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
it could work and i'm not saying the tampa owner won't or coulnd't do it...but with all these other supporting players a team needs, it would be very hard to pay 3 players over $6M. don't you think?
It's hard, but it's the road the Lightning are likely to go down this summer when they re-sign Richards. Nothing I can say or suggest that's going to change anyone's mind.

Old
01-23-2006, 04:31 AM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs
If the Tampa Bay Lightning want to stay competitive - competitive with the likes of Philadelphia and Ottawa, not Atlanta and Montreal, then they simply can not spend 18+ million dollars on 3 players (Three forwards no less, still no goaltender). That's not how you build yearly competitive teams.
As stated above, we are not looking for a goaltender. That is not a pressing need. (Anybody notice that Carolina has given up more goals than we have and you have not heard a word about their goaltending "issues?") Our problem is putting the puck into the net, not keeping it out of our own.

Old
01-23-2006, 04:45 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I'm sure Tampa will do everything in their power to keep Richards, Lecavalier, and St. Louis all on the team, but if they do, it will really hinder the rest of the team if they have all 3 of those guys locked up at around $18 million.

But Richards is worth it, IMO. He's on the cusp of being an elite player, if he isn't already. I'd take him over Lecavalier every time and it would be interesting to see who Tampa would choose if they were forced to make that decision.

Last edited by The Mars Volchenkov: 01-23-2006 at 04:50 AM.
Old
01-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Maria

If Tampa is forced to make that decision, i belive they would trade Brad before Vinny, Brad can out score Vinny every year, but to me Vinny brings more to the table than Brad. Anyway Jay won't trade them, they are the team's future.

Old
01-23-2006, 09:09 AM
rigger

I would think that

Old
01-23-2006, 09:12 AM
rigger

I would think that Stoll and a pick for Richards is fair compensation. Stoll, like Richards, is a leader kind of player, a future captain. He has an amazing shot he sees the ice well, he is a pressure player and plays the body well. Very good defensively, best face off guy out there. And cheap. This allows them to sign a replacement for Sydor and a goalie. Seems like a deal made in heaven. But, from an edmonton stand point, we are getting an elite player but we are giving up a player that is playing just as good this year and is a fraction of the cost. Would I want to trade him for a very good player that cost more then double, I don't think so.

Old
01-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
As stated above, we are not looking for a goaltender. That is not a pressing need. (Anybody notice that Carolina has given up more goals than we have and you have not heard a word about their goaltending "issues?") Our problem is putting the puck into the net, not keeping it out of our own.
Great. And how do you manage to significantly upgrade that scoring by relocating even more money to an existing player? You're completely missing the point.

You've already sacrificed Sydor, what if Kubina takes a walk? You're obviously not in a position where you can challenge other team's top offers, are you? Now you're missing a top pairing defender, and a top four defender - boy is that back end looking mighty suspect. You certainly don't have enough money to compete with other clubs in luring in notable blueliners come this offseason. You think John Grahame with his .896 SV% is going to look half as good with your defense core missing Sydor and Kubina? He's not looking all that good as it is. Oh right, but you're counting on the salary cap going up, and Tampa can just settle for less talented role players to fill their needs, right? But then, do you think Bill Davidson is going to be so willing to spend the salary cap limit if he doesn't get his 13 home playoff games, and a Stanley Cup? I'm not so sure. You're barely holding on to 7th place in the conference, have the money and room to change that, and yet nothing is being done. Who are you to assume that there will be other signings besides Brad Richards in the offseason?

I don't think many are arguing that the Tampa Bay Lightning can't feasibly sign Brad Richards, you're just not going to improve the team in doing so. Which is the goal in the end, yes?

(A little off topic, but has anyone noticed that Martin Gerber has more wins, a better save percentage, a lower goals against average, and has let in 2 fewer goals all while facing more shots than John Grahame? Anyone?)

Old
01-23-2006, 11:40 AM
*OvechKiN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger
I would think that Stoll and a pick for Richards is fair compensation. Stoll, like Richards, is a leader kind of player, a future captain. He has an amazing shot he sees the ice well, he is a pressure player and plays the body well. Very good defensively, best face off guy out there. And cheap. This allows them to sign a replacement for Sydor and a goalie. Seems like a deal made in heaven. But, from an edmonton stand point, we are getting an elite player but we are giving up a player that is playing just as good this year and is a fraction of the cost. Would I want to trade him for a very good player that cost more then double, I don't think so.
If thats all it takes to get Richards, then Sutter will top that by giving Langkow + Kobasew and a pick

Old
01-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by *OvechKiN*
If thats all it takes to get Richards, then Sutter will top that by giving Langkow + Kobasew and a pick
Personally, I'd rather have Stoll than Langkow + Kobasew.

Old
01-24-2006, 06:11 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs
And it's not as if Tampa Bay has a plethora of elite prospects that can come in and make up ground.
Just because this site says our prospects suck doesn't make it so. Every kid we've brought up this year has been solid, and name me a team with a "plethora" of elite prospects, as most have a handful, tops.

This whole thread is just the usual "Tampa fans are delusional" "Feaster is an idiot" "I want Richards for scraps" that comes up every time Richards is mentioned.

01-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Timmy1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Just because this site says our prospects suck doesn't make it so. Every kid we've brought up this year has been solid, and name me a team with a "plethora" of elite prospects, as most have a handful, tops.

This whole thread is just the usual "Tampa fans are delusional" "Feaster is an idiot" "I want Richards for scraps" that comes up every time Richards is mentioned.
I have to agree. In recent history we have had shared affiliates and our kids have been under someone else's coaches and in their system. Now that we have had our own for a couple of years. The prospects now what to expect when they get called up. And just because we don't have any 'franchise' prospects doesn't mean we don't have diamonds in the rough. Brad Richards was on no ones radar, Andy Rogers nearly made the team this year, Paul Ranger has been solid and Ryan Craig got three goals in his first six games then broke his foot. If Evgeni Artyukhin buried a few more of his chances, you'd see proposals for him all over this site. The guy's one of the fastest on the team and 6'5 250+.

Old
01-25-2006, 04:31 AM
Swedish Bolt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7

No kidding, you would think HF would be jumping up and down about the pathetic goaltending in Carolina, i mean a BACKUP goalie and a rookie that is even worse isnt it?

The core will be kept intact for next season but that isnt the answer to the OP's question, the answer he will get is, more than you would be willing to pay.

Old
01-25-2006, 12:50 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos

None of the players brought up were #1 picks, so they don't count, I guess. Maybe we are delusional. Maybe Feaster is an idiot. And if keeping Richards (and paying him) turns out to be a mistake, so be it. But other teams aren't going to get Richards for 50 cents on the dollar. It's just that simple.

Closed Thread