HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN reporting Nedved for Seidenberg

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2006, 03:23 PM
SpooKy

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to SpooKy
It seems Philly has an endless supply of could-be NHLr's to offer up ever year.

Old
Strömblad

oh man...this was a bad move. not too much for tossing seidenberg but for gaining nedved. hopefully, a promising team will bring promise to nedved....or the impact of no keith will go beyond attrition. i guess they are really banking on keith being healthy for the playoffs, which is where he earns 80% of his paycheck. anywho, i dont like the deal because it assumes too much on both keith and nedved.

Old
Olias of Sunhillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Well, I said if the Coyotes got anyone for Nedved, I'd be happy, and they got someone, so I'm happy.
Interestingly, Flyes and Coyotes fans are saying the same thing: at least we got something for that guy.

Seidenberg is a borderline NHL/AHL defenseman on a 1-way deal. Philly would have lost him to waivers when Pitkanen and Desjardins get back, since Jones and Meyer are both above him on the depth chart, hence getting "anybody" for him is good.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:24 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
Straka's played a good amount of wing in his career, so he could easily be shuffled to the left side. Rucchin, Betts and Moore are better suited to the bottom 6, so that would leave either 1st or 2nd line C open to Nedved, depending on where you prefer Nylander. Considering that NYR have been doing everything possible to recreate the Czech Mates magic, it would make some sense for the Rangers to pick him up.

You'll note however, I don't think it'd necessarily be a good move for the Rangers, nor do I think it was a good move for the Flyers (not in the player given up, but the cap space). I'm just trying to figure out the rationale behind it.
Its funny you mention moving Straka to wing where there is an even bigger logjam

But yeah you're pretty much right on.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Hmm, facts = hissy fight?

good one brad.
You're trying to say Nedved is crap because he hasn't played well recently. OK, if that's true, then what does that say about Sykora, who has a whopping 9 goals in 40 games this season. If you apply the same logic to that trade, then the the Sykora deal was "bad" as well. You had a get all pissy about it with your roll eyes smiley because when your same logic is applied to your beloved Rangers, it makes them appear to have made a bad trade as well.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:30 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Sykora didn't cost much, and the upside was bigger. and Sykora was playing.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Where would Philly get the cap room for Zhitnik after acquiring Nedved?
I'll leave that to Clarke and their fans to figure out.

I'm just trying to dump salaries for NYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
Trots, you're one of my favorite posters on this board, but in this case, the peanut gallery is right: this is a dog of Brobdingnagian porportions. Soft, turnover prone, lack of effort, and he hasn't produced squat. This ain't even Sykora, whose style of play wasn't suited to the game the Ducks are playing now. And keep in mind that Sykora is off the books at the end of the season. That Nedved has a year left isn't a good thing.
moneyp - First, thanks, the feeling is mutual. The value of this deal for Philly is based solely on what he contributes the rest of this season (and post-season). Clarke will be more than willing to eat the contract for next season if Nedved adds offense and depth and helps them get out of the Conference this spring.

A gamble? Absolutely. But a small one, IMO, because he gave up a third-pair dman to get him. Obviously, Clarke and Hitch believe that Jones or Meyers can replace Seidenberg on the roster. Finally, I put a lot of stock into a player of talent (and while Nedved is getting up there in age and has been invisible this year, he does possess undeniable offensive talent) being rejuventated when placed in a winning environment. He will be surrounded by superb talent, his deficiencies will be minimized, and if he has anything left, he will be in a much more conducive situation to produce. Even if it is for a scant several months. For that is all Clarke is (correctly) thinking about with this deal - winning this year.

Based on some posts, I suspect that at least a few others here are looking at this deal beyond those very narrow parameters. That is, they have written Nedved off based on 4 wretched months in Phoenix or consider it a poor deal because Nedved is older. They may be correct on both counts, but that is missing the rationale of this deal completely, IMO. If Nedved flames out now-June, it was a poor deal, albeit a low-risk one. If he contributes and they win in that same timeframe, it was a superb move.

Last edited by Trottier: 01-20-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old
01-20-2006, 03:33 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
You're trying to say Nedved is crap because he hasn't played well recently. OK, if that's true, then what does that say about Sykora, who has a whopping 9 goals in 40 games this season. If you apply the same logic to that trade, then the the Sykora deal was "bad" as well. You had a get all pissy about it with your roll eyes smiley because when your same logic is applied to your beloved Rangers, it makes them appear to have made a bad trade as well.
Girls girls, relax. Both points well taken. Nedved you can clearly tell is on the decline and becoming more injury prone (FlyLINE's points). Ranger fans have had a good LONG look at Nedved over the course of his career and clearly we were not too impressed. Sykora has always been an impressive player on the Devils and initially on the Ducks. This past year both were worth mediocre defensive prospects at most. I don't see what the fuss is about.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:33 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

Woah Brad, calm down. You read way to into it. All i did was give my opinion on who I thought won the trade and all I could go by is stats and what I remember about how he plays. Obviously anything can happen now that he is on a different team, I never said he was going to blow chunks in Philly. And yes, Skyora could have easily been put in the same category, he was playing bad this season as well but we took a chance, just like the Flyers are now.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooKy
It seems Philly has an endless supply of could-be NHLr's to offer up ever year.
We've got em by the boatload, it just so happens that they don't really turn into much. (aside from Justin Williams)

Old
01-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Takeo

Clarke hadn't made a pointless trade in a couple of months so I guess he was due.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:44 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
My prediction for the day: Nedved will be waived or traded by the Flyers before his contract expires.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Dr Love

Seidenberg got overpassed by Chris Therien on the depth chart, it was just a matter of time before he was shipped out. I would have liked to seen someone a bit better than Nedved, but there's worse out there. Maybe a change of scenery does him good, and if he takes playing time away from Brashear, all the better.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Lorenzo1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I'd look for Derek Morris to be on the move soon, possibly even to Philly.
I still think the Yotes resign Morris. The way the goals have been piling into the Coyote nets while he's been injured makes his value to them very apparent.

Old
01-20-2006, 03:53 PM
UAGoalieGuy

To all you Sykora-Trade haters out there..hes 29 I believe....Costs less and has more upside. Not to mention who the Rangers gave up for him wants to return to Russia. Nedved is what 35 or 36? A player that is waaaay past his prime and has almost no upside what so ever

Old
01-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1000
I still think the Yotes resign Morris. The way the goals have been piling into the Coyote nets while he's been injured makes his value to them very apparent.
I wonder what the cost of Morris would be, I'm sure the Flyers would be very interested, but only for the right price. Otherwise, I see the Flyers targeting a defensive defenseman to play with Kim Johnsson. Any offense or right handed shot would be gravy as they really like their other two pairings (Pitkanen-Rathje, Desjardins-Hatchers).

Old
01-20-2006, 03:59 PM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy
To all you Sykora-Trade haters out there..hes 29 I believe....Costs less and has more upside. Not to mention who the Rangers gave up for him wants to return to Russia. Nedved is what 35 or 36? A player that is waaaay past his prime and has almost no upside what so ever
Please, don't try to bring "upside" into a discussion of the merits of trading for Peter Sykora. He is what he is; a tempermental, sometimes lazy, scoring winger. Ironically, the same can be said for Nedved (swap winger for center/winger). That Nedved is 36 is largely irrelevant; he is there to help Philly now, not three years down the road.

Old
01-20-2006, 04:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The only rationale I can see from the Flyers' POV would be solely to prevent the Rangers from grabbing Nedved
Why would the Rangers want a third tour with Nedved?The Rangers wanted so badly to get rid of Nedved two years ago that they agreed to pay his entire remaining salary while he played for the Oilers

Old
01-20-2006, 04:05 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
Please, don't try to bring "upside" into a discussion of the merits of trading for Peter Sykora. He is what he is; a tempermental, sometimes lazy, scoring winger. Ironically, the same can be said for Nedved (swap winger for center/winger). That Nedved is 36 is largely irrelevant; he is there to help Philly now, not three years down the road.

If they're the same player i'd much rather have a 29 year old version then a 36 year old version...7 years difference is huge

Old
01-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Funny with all the Ranger fans that are posting "facts"

"Nedved's signed for 3 more years"
"Nedved's 36"
"Sykora's is cheaper then Nedved"

When in reality:
Nedved is signed for 1 more year, he's a UFA after 06/07.
Nedved is 34.
Sykora has a salary of 3.1 million, Nedveds salary is 2.2 million.

Old
01-20-2006, 04:13 PM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy
If they're the same player i'd much rather have a 29 year old version then a 36 year old version...7 years difference is huge
If he was dealt for a cornerstone of their team, then yes. But he has a year left on his deal and was acquired for a guy that was soon going to have to try to pass through waivers.

What I'm saying is that age isn't a factor in the Nedved deal; Philly is in win-now mode. I, too, think that Sykora is a better player than Nedved and age is only one of the reasons, but I don't think there is any remaining "upside" with Sykora (the reason I initially responded); he is what he is at this stage of his career.

Old
01-20-2006, 04:16 PM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North
Funny with all the Ranger fans that are posting "facts"

"Nedved's signed for 3 more years"
"Nedved's 36"
"Sykora's is cheaper then Nedved"

When in reality:
Nedved is signed for 1 more year, he's a UFA after 06/07.
Nedved is 34.
Sykora has a salary of 3.1 million, Nedveds salary is 2.2 million.
Thanks Lion. Something about 36 wasn't sitting right with me, but I was too lazy to look it up.

Old
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Flyers pick up Nedved
The Phoenix Coyotes have traded veteran centre Petr Nedved to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for defenceman Dennis Seidenberg.

In addition, the Flyers will have the option of swapping fourth-round draft choices with the Coyotes at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft and third-round draft choices with the Coyotes at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...120_151556_436

Old
01-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Barnett sure likes to have draft picks included in his deals. At least it's a swap instead of just a throw in like usual. He's improving.

And as a Coyotes fan I'm thrilled with the deal. Seidenberg can be a bottom pairing d-man for us with the emergence of Ballard and Michalek to pair with Mara and Morris. We were counting too much on a 3rd and sometimes 4th rookie in the line-up and that's where we were running into trouble.

As for the loss of Nedved, he has had a brutal and injury plagued year. On top of that, and for whatever reason, the team played much better with him out of the lineup than in. He was going to be sitting in the pressbox and getting paid the rest of his $2.2 mill. One of the best cases of addition by subtraction in the salary cap era.

With Nedved's contract gone and several more coming off the books at the end of the year the Coyotes will again be positioned to be big players in the free agent pool. Let's just hope they make better decisions this time around.

Old
01-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Melrose'sMullet

So, how much cap space does Philly have left? By my calculations they are well over it, however, I haven't factored in the salaries saved by injury. Anyone want to take a stab at this???

Closed Thread