HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Van/Detroit Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 11:49 AM
Wingboy2999

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Van/Detroit Proposal

An earlier post made me think about this proposal. The Wings still want to get rid of CuJo, the Canucks might need more stability in goal. How about....

To Detroit:
R.J. Umberger
4th Round Pick

To Vancouver:
CuJo (3 mil taken on by Detroit)

Well, it looks like Vancouver is going to lose Umberger at this rate since he doesn't seem too close to signing. Might as well trade him for something that will help. Only problem is this leaves Vancouver with 3 goalies. And, well, I don't know what to do about that. Thoughts?

Old
10-21-2003, 11:52 AM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
An earlier post made me think about this proposal. The Wings still want to get rid of CuJo, the Canucks might need more stability in goal. How about....

To Detroit:
R.J. Umberger
4th Round Pick

To Vancouver:

Well, it looks like Vancouver is going to lose Umberger at this rate since he doesn't seem too close to signing. Might as well trade him for something that will help. Only problem is this leaves Vancouver with 3 goalies. And, well, I don't know what to do about that. Thoughts?
First, Vancouver isn't trading for another goalie. CuJo would still cost 5 million/year even if the wings ate 3 mil. Not a chance. Second, if the canucks (or anyone for that matter) was to trade for CuJo, they wouldn't have to give up a prospect of umberger's quality. They could have him for the draft pick alone.

Old
10-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Wingboy2999

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
First, Vancouver isn't trading for another goalie. CuJo would still cost 5 million/year even if the wings ate 3 mil. Not a chance. Second, if the canucks (or anyone for that matter) was to trade for CuJo, they wouldn't have to give up a prospect of umberger's quality. They could have him for the draft pick alone.
Well, my point was, if the Canucks are going to lose Umberger (which it looks like), why not trade him? He does have good quality but he means nothing if the Canucks lose him at the end of the season. Might as well cash in now.

Old
10-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Shark Attack

Quote:

To Detroit:
R.J. Umberger
4th Round Pick

To Vancouver:

Why would Vancouver want to do this deal?

I believe that Cujo still has $9M more to be paid even with the $3M picked up by the Wings. Seems like the Canucks would be doing the Wings a favor. Face it Cujo is declining and by all appearance is no better than Cloutier or Hedberg, my guess is that the Canuck fans will not be thrilled. If I were Burke I would say no.

One more thought if the Canucks are willing to spend the bucks that you say they should for Cujo, why not just give Umberger the contract he wants, at least he is a young prospect not an older suspect.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:00 PM
incawg

Quote:
Well, my point was, if the Canucks are going to lose Umberger (which it looks like), why not trade him? He does have good quality but he means nothing if the Canucks lose him at the end of the season. Might as well cash in now.
And my point is that if the Canucks do trade Umberger, it sure won't be for CuJo

Btw, for those wondering, Umberger and the Canucks are apparently 300k apart on a deal. Both sides are being stubborn but the difference doesn't seem insurmountable. I would say that Burke will try to move him if he's not signed by January.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:04 PM
RI Canuck

Cujo isn't that great and that is still too much money to spend considering Cloutier and Hedberg both make less than Joseph in a year.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Wingboy2999

Oh, only 300k? Well, I'll just walk away from this proposal as if nothing at all happened. Damn, you get burned making any CuJo proposal.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Why not trade him for someone that will help then? CuJo is not needed in Vancouver, not in the least bit.

Closed Thread