HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stick Measurements

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
dbbourn

vCash: 500
Stick Measurements

I don't remember too many stick measurements in recent years, but there seems to be an increase this year.

Just watching the Bruins/Quacks game and there was another stick measurement being called for. Turns out the Ducks got a two man advantage by asking to measure Samsonovís illegal stick and it allowed them to tie the game up.

Samsonov was yelling at the Anaheim bench. Are there any Russian spies on Anaheim? I'm sure it doesn't pay to have friends on other teams.

Last Wednesday Nashville was looking to measure a stick, but I think Atlanta's equipment manager removed the stick before they got a chance. I had to run to my own game, and didnít see how it ended up. Anybody else catch that game? I may have the teams mixed up.

Old
01-16-2006, 03:43 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbourn
I don't remember too many stick measurements in recent years, but there seems to be an increase this year.

Just watching the Bruins/Quacks game and there was another stick measurement being called for. Turns out the Ducks got a two man advantage by asking to measure Samsonovís illegal stick and it allowed them to tie the game up.

Samsonov was yelling at the Anaheim bench. Are there any Russian spies on Anaheim? I'm sure it doesn't pay to have friends on other teams.

Last Wednesday Nashville was looking to measure a stick, but I think Atlanta's equipment manager removed the stick before they got a chance. I had to run to my own game, and didnít see how it ended up. Anybody else catch that game? I may have the teams mixed up.
Anaheim has a couple of Russian players, so it's not so far off the mark. I believe that Vishnevsky (sp) is from Russia. I think teams know which players try to get away with the illegal sticks, store the knowlege and then use it when it's most advantageous.

Last edited by ILuvLA: 01-16-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old
01-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
9 out of 10 euro players use illegal sticks.

Old
01-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Osprey

It might be nice to see the Kings request a stick measurement for once, instead of always being on the receiving end. Suppose when the Kings were down 5-1 and had a powerplay that AM had requested a stick measurement on, say, Afinogenov (assuming suspicion). Getting a 2-minute 2-man advantage (and almost certain goal) could've turned momentum in the Kings' favor and the game around. Perhaps the Kings organization as a whole, though, considers it cheap to request measurements, considering the bad taste left by the '93 stick incident

Old
01-16-2006, 11:29 PM
dbbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
It might be nice to see the Kings request a stick measurement for once, instead of always being on the receiving end. Suppose when the Kings were down 5-1 and had a powerplay that AM had requested a stick measurement on, say, Afinogenov (assuming suspicion). Getting a 2-minute 2-man advantage (and almost certain goal) could've turned momentum in the Kings' favor and the game around. Perhaps the Kings organization as a whole, though, considers it cheap to request measurements, considering the bad taste left by the '93 stick incident
Well, The Oilers just called for a stick measurement on Kotalik and were rewarded a power-play. So, Kotalik is the guy we should have targeted. Maybe we could have won that game...

I imagine there are a lot of illegal sticks out there, and it looks like the Oilers were watching the Bruins game this afternoon.

Old
01-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Reaper45

I'm telling you, 9 out of 10 european players use illegal sticks.

Old
01-16-2006, 11:38 PM
dbbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I'm telling you, 9 out of 10 european players use illegal sticks.
So Andy Murray should call for it every game? You have to like those odds.

Old
01-17-2006, 02:36 AM
Osprey

You could clearly read Mike Sullivan's lips after Samsonov's stick was being measured. He said "f'in joke" plain as day. Certainly, there are some coaches in the league who feel that it's dishonorable to ask for stick measurements. I think that Andy Murray is probably one of them and would never "stoop" to that level, though I could be wrong. If this acceleration keeps up, it may almost get to the point where "everyone's doing it."

Old
01-17-2006, 02:45 AM
Reaper45

I too think it's a ****ing joke. Every team has at least 2 guys who use illegal sticks, bfd, it's the norm. No one liked tattle tales in school, why these coaches are doing this is beyond me. Maybe they were the kids who got beat up for telling in elementary school?

Old
01-17-2006, 02:57 AM
Osprey

I agree that it's a little weak, but the coaches are just policing themselves. It's completely impractical to have a 3rd-party check every stick that each team may use; that would be hundreds. The fact that they'd most assuredly be called for it if they curved their sticks significantly is likely the main reason why they don't curve them more than they do. They'd possibly curve them in a semi-circle if they could get away from it because the law was never enforced. If what's happening now isn't desirable, then the rules need to be changed to restrict it from happening. "Unspoken" rules just aren't suitable for sports in this day and age, where doing everything to win (i.e. pushing the rules) is the name of the game.

Old
01-17-2006, 03:59 AM
Chartrand

BTW, not to bring up bad memories, but I have one question...

WhyTF did Marty McSorley need an illegally curved stick? I can understand why a sniper or a playmaker would need one...but a goon?

Old
01-17-2006, 07:24 AM
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I too think it's a ****ing joke. Every team has at least 2 guys who use illegal sticks, bfd, it's the norm. No one liked tattle tales in school, why these coaches are doing this is beyond me. Maybe they were the kids who got beat up for telling in elementary school?
So, if you think it's OK for players to use illegal sticks in hockey, do you also think it's OK for someone to use a corked bat in baseball?

Old
01-17-2006, 12:26 PM
dbbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKen48
So, if you think it's OK for players to use illegal sticks in hockey, do you also think it's OK for someone to use a corked bat in baseball?
Is a bigger curve really THAT much of an advantage? I have an illegal curve for sure. It is easier to toe drag, but some think that the big curve takes away from a good hard shot. Wrist shots are probably better from a bigger curve, but at the expense of a weak backhand.

Well, anyway, at my level I could care less if anybody has an illegal stick. Obviously there are benefits to the illegal curve at the NHL level. Maybe scoring would be up even more if they didn't have a requirement on stick curves.

Old
01-17-2006, 12:38 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
I agree that it's a little weak, but the coaches are just policing themselves. It's completely impractical to have a 3rd-party check every stick that each team may use; that would be hundreds. The fact that they'd most assuredly be called for it if they curved their sticks significantly is likely the main reason why they don't curve them more than they do. They'd possibly curve them in a semi-circle if they could get away from it because the law was never enforced. If what's happening now isn't desirable, then the rules need to be changed to restrict it from happening. "Unspoken" rules just aren't suitable for sports in this day and age, where doing everything to win (i.e. pushing the rules) is the name of the game.

with that being said, it is an antiquated rule originally designed to protect goaltenders. it is no longer relevant and needs to be done away with. especially in an era that sees a league desperately looking to market a more offense oriented "new" NHL. let the players have sticks that they believe will give them an extra edge when it comes to scoring goals.

Old
01-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Kick

Quote:
Is a bigger curve really THAT much of an advantage? I have an illegal curve for sure. It is easier to toe drag, but some think that the big curve takes away from a good hard shot. Wrist shots are probably better from a bigger curve, but at the expense of a weak backhand.

Well, anyway, at my level I could care less if anybody has an illegal stick. Obviously there are benefits to the illegal curve at the NHL level. Maybe scoring would be up even more if they didn't have a requirement on stick curves.
Iím really not sure how much, if any, of an advantage it may be. But if itís on the books as a rule, itís going to be enforced. It almost cost Boston the game against the Ducks yesterday. If Anaheim had won, I would think the coach Sullivan would have been pi$$ed at Samsonov.

Maybe my comparison to a corked bat was a bit off.

Old
01-17-2006, 02:06 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Is a bigger curve really THAT much of an advantage?
Depends on the "type" of curve. A lot of guys that stickhandle a lot like to put a big ol' curve down on the toe of the blade to help cradle the puck better...

Old
01-19-2006, 11:14 AM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

do any of you remember a time more recently than 1985 when the Kings called for a stick measurement? The last one I can remember was at the Forum when the illegal stick got a Joey Mullen Penalty Shot goal disallowed. This was so long ago that Al Jensen was the goalie for crying out loud. I'll never forget it. You could hear Kerry Fraser clear as day telling Mullen "You can't score a goal with an illegal stick."
Kings still lost 4-3 thiough

Old
01-19-2006, 12:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:

If you request a stick measurement and you are wrong, you get a penalty for delay of game.

No one will do it unless they are 100% sure.

Old
01-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
If you request a stick measurement and you are wrong, you get a penalty for delay of game.

No one will do it unless they are 100% sure.
Ah, but that's why just about every time you see a coach request a stick measurement, it's done at the start of a powerplay. You guess right and you get a 2-man advantage; you guess wrong and no real harm done. The benefit of being right far outweighs the harm in being wrong, making it a pretty safe call if you call it at the right time.

Old
01-19-2006, 05:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ah, but that's why just about every time you see a coach request a stick measurement, it's done at the start of a powerplay. You guess right and you get a 2-man advantage; you guess wrong and no real harm done. The benefit of being right far outweighs the harm in being wrong, making it a pretty safe call if you call it at the right time.

You guess wrong and you blow a power play opportunity. Even if your power play sucks at least they only have 4 guys on the ice for 2 minutes

Old
01-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
You guess wrong and you blow a power play opportunity. Even if your power play sucks at least they only have 4 guys on the ice for 2 minutes
As I said, getting a 2-man advantage outweighs blowing a 1-man advantage (especially if your PP stinks). Nearly every time a stick measurement is requested, the stick is ruled illegal, anyways. If you have a suspicion, a chance for a 2-man and you're desperate enough for a goal, you request it. I believe the only reason you don't see it more often (especially before this season) is the stigma attached to it. Some coaches have started a domino effect in recent weeks, however. I wouldn't be surprised to see measurements requested quite a few times in the upcoming playoffs.

Old
01-20-2006, 07:56 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

Quote:
(especially if your PP stinks). .
and I bet you think your PP doesn't stink!

JUST KIDDING! I read that and HAD to go there

Old
01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat
with that being said, it is an antiquated rule originally designed to protect goaltenders. it is no longer relevant and needs to be done away with. especially in an era that sees a league desperately looking to market a more offense oriented "new" NHL. let the players have sticks that they believe will give them an extra edge when it comes to scoring goals.
Exactly. The rule has no business being there, it is completely pointless now that the initial justification for the rule no longer exists. It is an anachronism. Get rid of it.

Closed Thread