HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offical Trade: NEDVED to the Flyers for D Dennis Seidenberg and swap of 3rd and 4th

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

vCash: 500
Offical Trade: NEDVED to the Flyers for D Dennis Seidenberg and swap of 3rd and 4th

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=151606&hubname=nhl

Old
01-20-2006, 04:14 PM
XX
... Waiting

Cant complain with that one.

Edit: Seidenberg is 24. Young enough that we can roll the dice with him. Our last few projects sure turned out well.

Last edited by XX: 01-20-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old
01-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Bergeron47

Coming from an Oilers fan, you guys won this trade by a country mile..

Old
01-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Howling Coyote

Send a message via ICQ to Howling Coyote Send a message via AIM to Howling Coyote
I know Seidenberg from his days with Mannheim, Germany, and always been a fan of him. Good trade for the Yotes, Seids needs a fresh start, can be a very good Player! I'm happy with that trade!

Old
01-20-2006, 05:19 PM
hbk

Wasn't long ago that Flyers fans were claiming that there is no way in hell they would deal Seidenberg for Burke but I digress.

Seidenberg has disappointed with Hitchcock; however, he's young enough and has a good enough contract that we can't complain at all.

The flipping of draft picks on paper looks discouraging but no two teams have the same lists and we could very well get the same guy at either slot so it's not a horrible move.

Nedved will do well in Philli. I'd be suprised if he doesn't flourish. Not sure what happened here but it didn't work out and getting his contract off the books will save us valuable cash for next years UFA crop and we are primed and ready to do some damage in the off-season. Of the teams with budget and cap room (not just cap room) I think we are extremely well-situated relative to most teams. The only blatant overpayment on those guys who are already under contract for next year is Scatchard and even then we are talking about a couple of hundred grand and not millions of dollars (ie Khabby).

Notable contract expirations:
Sanderson - $2.5 Mill
LeClerc - $1.1 M
Ricci - $1.5 M
Cujo - $2.2 M (base of $900 K)
Morris - $2.7 M

that's about $9.6 Million in budget room to play with even when you factor in a new contract for Nagy.

Leaves us lots of space to re-sign Morris if that's truly the way we want to go and/or make a pitch for an elite UFA in his prime.

Old
01-20-2006, 05:30 PM
PhoPhan

I'm legitimately sick of UFAs. Honestly, I think we may have trouble luring anyone of any worth here at this point. The team is fading, we've already seen Nedved, Hull, and Amonte fizzle out quickly and be moved. If we trade Joseph, it could totally shoot us in the foot. What have we done to make Phoenix a desirable place to be, and what have our acquisitions done to make us think the UFA route is a good one?

Old
01-20-2006, 05:34 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I'm legitimately sick of UFAs. Honestly, I think we may have trouble luring anyone of any worth here at this point. The team is fading, we've already seen Nedved, Hull, and Amonte fizzle out quickly and be moved. If we trade Joseph, it could totally shoot us in the foot. What have we done to make Phoenix a desirable place to be, and what have our acquisitions done to make us think the UFA route is a good one?
Quite frankly we pay them more than other teams will and you live in a very nice climate.

Amonte, Nedved, and Hull didn't work out due to their lack of effort and not due to lack of opportunity to succeed.

Cujo signed a one year deal and if we elect to deal him to a Stanley Cup contender at his request then I suspect that plays in Phoenix's favour.

Old
01-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Waldo

I'm always somewhat nervous though when Barnett trades with Clark .....

Old
01-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
Notable contract expirations:
Sanderson - $2.5 Mill
LeClerc - $1.1 M
Ricci - $1.5 M
Cujo - $2.2 M (base of $900 K)
Morris - $2.7 M
And with the emergence of the 2 rookie d-men you could legitimately argue that none of the above may be in our top 4 or 5 forwards or top 3 d-men next year. Morris if playing to his potential would be an exception to that but was behind Ballard and Z in ice time most of the year.

Old
01-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
All three you mention were past their best years and came with question marks when they were signed. In today's NHL to win you will have to be a player in the UFA game. You just need to be smart with it and make the right calls. We have not mistreated UFA's nearly as badly as some other teams, notably Boston and New Jersey. Hull retired and both Nedved and Amonte were traded after being given ample opportunity to earn their contracts. Cujo signed a one year deal when he was not in demand. The Coyotes did not make a huge commitment or promise to him but did give him the opportunity to show the league what he can still do. Players will still go where the money is. Khabibulin went to Chicago, did they have a chance at the cup?

Edit: And now that I read further I can see I said almost the same thing as hbk, just longer winded.

Old
01-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitain Midnight
What the hell is our fascination with Philly as a trading partner?! Oh well, I can't complain too much about this trade. At least we got something and as hbk mentioned, this is the young dman that Flyer fans were so adament about keeping a few years ago.

Nedved will likely do well in Philly but I believe it's because he'll be looked to play a much easier roll. I think the problems with Nedved, Hull and Amonte are they are players that were brought in to play much bigger rolls than they truly are capable of performing. Hull was pretty much just age but Nedved and Amonte were more of the second tier type star players on the downside of their careers being put into big name type roles. An example would be if the Coyotes entered the market looking for a big name free agent and signed say Brendon Morrison. Hey he's a 1st line center who had a 70 point season in the old NHL right? Realistically he's more of a second line center who got stuck between two prolific first line wingers and who is now entering the downside of his career. So he comes to Phoenix and big surprise falls on his face. We then trade him to a team that has about 4-5 big names ahead of him, he falls onto a second line with above average wingers or a first line with great wingers and then everyone asks..."I wonder why he didn't play that way in Phoenix". Zero pressure, lesser role and better linemates is the answer!

Edit: Well after submitting my post, I see I said pretty much the same thing as Alberta Yote only even more long winded than his version of hbk's post.

Old
01-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
I'm always somewhat nervous though when Barnett trades with Clark .....
I would be too but this one is pretty good for both teams.

Seidenberg was now the Flyers 8th or 9th D man and would have had to go on waivers at the weekend so he was expendable.

Nedved was disinterested but then again so was Malakhov before he came to the Flyers and he turned into a top 2 D man in a winning team. If Nedved can be a 2nd line LW and bump Savage Sim and Brash down the order then the Flyers will be happy.

Old
01-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Seidenberg is a quality addition to Ballard and Michalek.

I think this has serious implications for Morris as we dont need to resign him to ice a decent defense corps next year.

Young, cheap talent with nice upside like Seidenberg is at a premium so I like the return, just not the pick swapping at all.

Old
01-20-2006, 10:46 PM
naihlflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
Quite frankly we pay them more than other teams will and you live in a very nice climate.

Amonte, Nedved, and Hull didn't work out due to their lack of effort and not due to lack of opportunity to succeed.

Cujo signed a one year deal and if we elect to deal him to a Stanley Cup contender at his request then I suspect that plays in Phoenix's favour.
How is Phoenix a very nice climate for hockey???

Old
01-20-2006, 10:48 PM
PhoPhan

He didn't say "for hockey." Phoenix is one of the best places to live in the entire country. It's certainly a selling point when attracting UFAs, though it certainly hasn't worked for the Cardinals.

Old
01-20-2006, 11:36 PM

Even though it's Eklund, I find it interesting to hear any take on the trade...

Link
Quote:
Nedved for Siedenberg Details
Now a done deal...

According to sources Nedved had asked to be moved to a team near New York City to be closer to his wife who works out of the Big Apple and Prague. He felt very bad for his play as of late and apologized to the Coyotes for "letting them down." It is believed by the Flyers that this move will revitalize him and the organization sees him as a guy who plays better in a more competitive situation. Nedved is a very good guy who everyone says is just a great guy to talk to and hang out with.

The Coyotes are excited to get Seidenberg because he adds a strong point man on the power play and a good offensive defenseman. They feel that they now have the makings of a very strong young d-corps...The Flyers apparently felt he was too tunnel visioned and had trouble picking up his man in his own zone.

Old
01-20-2006, 11:47 PM
bobbyboucher24

I was a huge Dennis Seidenberg fan at first, but even I soured on his play this season. He made bad turnovers and seemed to take a big step backwards from 2 seasons ago. At first, I wouldn't think of trading him. But, after his play so far this season, I figured a change of scenery might do him some good. Ok with the acquisition of Nedved as we also get to swap picks. Most Flyers fans knew he would be dealt, but most likely to St louis. Good luck, Dennis!

Old
01-20-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24
I was a huge Dennis Seidenberg fan at first, but even I soured on his play this season. He made bad turnovers and seemed to take a big step backwards from 2 seasons ago. At first, I wouldn't think of trading him. But, after his play so far this season, I figured a change of scenery might do him some good. Ok with the acquisition of Nedved as we also get to swap picks. Most Flyers fans knew he would be dealt, but most likely to St louis. Good luck, Dennis!
I think Seidenberg will flourish in the defensive system in Phoenix compared to Philly. I just get a gut feeling that this is going to be like the Michalek trade and we'll be talking about our core blueliners of Mara, Ballard, Michalek, Seidenberg, and Jones in the future. If they keep O'Donnell around past the deadline but ship Morris & Gauthier to playoff teams, the defense is a little more solid with Jones available for the recall versus Spiller.

Old
01-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse
I think Seidenberg will flourish in the defensive system in Phoenix compared to Philly. I just get a gut feeling that this is going to be like the Michalek trade and we'll be talking about our core blueliners of Mara, Ballard, Michalek, Seidenberg, and Jones in the future. If they keep O'Donnell around past the deadline but ship Morris & Gauthier to playoff teams, the defense is a little more solid with Jones available for the recall versus Spiller.
What do you think Morris would command in a trade? I'm sure the Flyers would be very interested for the right price.

Old
01-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Little Wing

Send a message via Yahoo to Little Wing
Quote:
though it certainly hasn't worked for the Cardinals.
with the new stadium that's gonna change real fast

Old
01-21-2006, 12:16 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
He didn't say "for hockey." Phoenix is one of the best places to live in the entire country. It's certainly a selling point when attracting UFAs, though it certainly hasn't worked for the Cardinals.
Why do you think every suit meeting is held in Scottsdale Arizona? Hell even the CFL (a canadian football league!) held their meetings here. Its all about the golf and the rich life.

Old
01-21-2006, 06:21 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
What do you think Morris would command in a trade? I'm sure the Flyers would be very interested for the right price.
Umberger and our swapped picks back? Tough to gauge his value but Umberger makes a lot of sense to me.

Although Nedved failed its good business - we effectively acquired Seidenberg for very little other than the money we paid Nedved (a signing I didnt like but was a reasonable move) - and due to the salary dump, its not even much money. As Philly fans say, it doesnt seem Seids is the top prospect he was a couple years ago but this reminds me of the Langkow deal.. he was suffocated in their system. He was the guy I was excited about possibly acquiring in the Burke-Comrie deal so this makes me happy.

As for Morris, Ive accepted he's likely not going to work out here - I hope we keep Gauts though he's the only other exceptionally tough defenseman (Ballard being the other).

Old
01-21-2006, 06:48 AM
ParisSaintGermain

I am happy with the trade.

There is one thing Barnett has been good at recently: To identify and get good young defensemen. Seidenberg has some potential, he will be in confidence as he knows he will have playing time. Lets hope his progression can get back on track.

I am not too annoyed by the swap of picks. Obviously I would have prefer it not to happen but for once we haven't lost a pick. Also, in 3rd rounders/4th rounders territory of the draft, there is always the possibility of moving up if there is one player we really like. The swap of picks isn't an ideal situation but I guess this was the price to pay for the salary's difference between the two traded players.

I am very happy that we have been able to save a substantial amount of money by getting rid of Nedved's contract. I am looking forward to seeing what they are going to do with it. I hope they use this money to the benefit of next year's team.

I am also very happy that Nedved is gone, his situation with the team was a problematic one and it is nice that things have been sorted out in everyone's best interest. It is also a good trade for the Flyers.

Old
01-21-2006, 07:16 AM
hbk

Guys we should target as UFA's:

1) #1 D Man - One of Redden or Chara (my preference is Redden). Assume we don't resign Morris. Cost ~ $5-6.5 million
2) Quality Center - Jokinen, Savard, Koivu. Cost ~ $ 2.2- $3.8 Million
3) Assuming we go for cheaper options on priorities #1 and #2 then target a game breaking forward - one of Elias (Devils = cap trouble thanks to Lou's mistakes this off-season) or Samsonov. Cost ~ $5-7 Million

that's off the top of my head.

Old
01-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

Good trade, Seidenberg will help the yound defensemen some and Nedved is gone. I think the team plays much better without him. He might do well in Philly but the Coyotes are better off without him.

Closed Thread