HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wolf Pack Next Season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2006, 03:52 PM
  #1
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,402
vCash: 500
Wolf Pack Next Season

We have A LOT of players who will be graduating from Juniors, NCAA and Europe next season all looking to make there way into Hartford...but we do we have enough players leaving Hartford?

Players who should be trying out for Hartford next season:

Zdenek Bahensky, Dane Byers, Ryan Callahan, Joey Crabb, Brandon Dubinsky, Nate Guenin, Lauri Korpikoski, Greg Moore, Jonathan Paiement, Jakub Petruzalek, Corey Potter, Roman Psurny, Mike Walsh.

IMO:
Best Chance of Making the Team out of Camp:
-Lauri Korpikoski (F)
-Brandon Dubinsky (F)

Good Chance of Making the Team out of camp:
-Ryan Callahan (F)
-Greg Moore (F)

50/50
-Nate Guenin (D)
-Joey Crabb (F)
-Corey Potter (D)
-Jakub Petruzalek (F)
-Zdenek Bahensky (F)

Long shots:
-Dane Byers (F)
-Roman Psurny (F)
-Jonathan Paiement (D)

No chance
- Mike Walsh (F)

Im sure there is some Europeans I don't have the list that will come over, but i'm not really sure who besides Lauri. BTW this list above is just my opinion on who could make the Wolf-Pack, not the Checkers, so quite a few of them could end up there. Also, this list is assuming all players are offered some sort of contract so we do not loose there rights come June.

So anyway, what is going to happen if a bunch of players make a very good impression through Rookie camps and Ranger/Wolf pack Training camp? I guess we could throw some back to the Juniors, but we still could have to many.


Last edited by FLYLine24: 01-20-2006 at 04:01 PM.
FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 03:54 PM
  #2
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
i can see dubinsky, korpikoski, moore, guenin all make it in hartford out of camp.

Nich is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 04:50 PM
  #3
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
We have A LOT of players who will be graduating from Juniors, NCAA and Europe next season all looking to make there way into Hartford...but we do we have enough players leaving Hartford?

Players who should be trying out for Hartford next season:

Zdenek Bahensky, Dane Byers, Ryan Callahan, Joey Crabb, Brandon Dubinsky, Nate Guenin, Lauri Korpikoski, Greg Moore, Jonathan Paiement, Jakub Petruzalek, Corey Potter, Roman Psurny, Mike Walsh.

IMO:
Best Chance of Making the Team out of Camp:
-Lauri Korpikoski (F)
-Brandon Dubinsky (F)

Good Chance of Making the Team out of camp:
-Ryan Callahan (F)
-Greg Moore (F)

50/50
-Nate Guenin (D)
-Joey Crabb (F)
-Corey Potter (D)
-Jakub Petruzalek (F)
-Zdenek Bahensky (F)

Long shots:
-Dane Byers (F)
-Roman Psurny (F)
-Jonathan Paiement (D)

No chance
- Mike Walsh (F)

Im sure there is some Europeans I don't have the list that will come over, but i'm not really sure who besides Lauri. BTW this list above is just my opinion on who could make the Wolf-Pack, not the Checkers, so quite a few of them could end up there. Also, this list is assuming all players are offered some sort of contract so we do not loose there rights come June.

So anyway, what is going to happen if a bunch of players make a very good impression through Rookie camps and Ranger/Wolf pack Training camp? I guess we could throw some back to the Juniors, but we still could have to many.
Not sure who has a chance to make the team next year or not. There are always surprises. Most people were a little shocked when Jessiman was sent down to Charlotte earlier this year, for example. More on that later perhaps. Just wanted to put something down as I find this to be a most interesting thread propect wise. Bottom Line: It's gonna be a real dog fight to earn a spot with the Pack next year.

Pizza is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 05:13 PM
  #4
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,193
vCash: 500
Of the players in Hartford now--if they don't make the big club we should keep.

Goal-Montoya---maybe Holt.

Defense-Pock, Baranka, Liffiton, Taylor

Forward-Immonen, Dawes, Helminen, Genoway (who we'll need to sign), Graham,
Jessiman, Weller. Probably Falardeau.

Also worth considering signing Girardi and Gherson.

We can afford to let the bulk of the vets in Hartford go especially at forward as we've got good production from our young players there anyway. So I can see room for say 5 rookie forwards next year.

Certain of Ranger prospects I'm not all that high on. Holt (it might be unfair seeing him against the Senator's farm club but he was atrocious that night). Paiement is another. I'm not sure Callahan or Crabb or Psurny will make a good transition to pro hockey.
I have more hope that Byers or Kozak have better pro games although I don't know if they'll ever be NHL players.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 10:47 PM
  #5
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,637
vCash: 500
Hannu Pikkarainen (D) is also signed for next year.

The Rangers have to seriously consider signing Genoway and Girardi to NHL contracts.

The only other Euros who might possibly be signed to play primarily in the AHL would be Hirschovits (breakout year) or Furrer. Jonasen as a real long shot.

The Rangers have a LOT of new players coming in who have sign-'em-or-lose-'em status (either 2004 draftees from juniors or college grads) and the Rangers organization is already close to the 50 contract limit, so I figure quite a few players whose contracts are up this season will get let go at all levels (NHL, AHL, ECHL).

The Pack has been getting younger the past 3 years and will be even younger next year. However, you can't build an AHL roster entirely out of 22 year-olds and can't fill your lines with nothing but potential scoring line players. You need some experienced bodies and some grinders, too.

bmoak is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 10:53 PM
  #6
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,443
vCash: 500
Korpedo-Graham-Jessiman
Callahan-Dubinsky-Staal
Cliche-Olver-Bahensky
Fedorov-Genoway-Crabb

Sauer-Baranka
Liffiton-Pock
Taylor-Potter/Guenin

Holt

RGY is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 11:22 PM
  #7
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,985
vCash: 500
The Rangers have six college seniors:Greg Moore,Corey Potter,Nathan Guenin,Joey Crabb,Kenny Roche and Mike Walsh who need to signed by August 15 or they can become free agents

Ryan Callahan and Jonathan Paiement can become free agents if they are not signed by June 1.Jakub Petruzalek could fall into that overage group

Dane Byers,Brandon Dubinsky,Zdenek Bahensky and Roman Psurny need to signed by June 1 or they can re-enter the draft.Lauri Korpikoski falls into that group considering European draft picks need to be signed within two years of their draft year

Does Jan Marek come over next year?

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 11:27 PM
  #8
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch
Korpedo-Graham-Jessiman
Callahan-Dubinsky-Staal
Cliche-Olver-Bahensky
Fedorov-Genoway-Crabb

Sauer-Baranka
Liffiton-Pock
Taylor-Potter/Guenin

Holt
Sauer still has one more season of junior eligibilty and is not allowed to play in the AHL.Same thing with Cliche.Olver will probably spend another year at Northern Michigan.Fedorov will not be in the organization.He will be a group 6 free agent-25 years old or older who has completed three or more pro seasons and has played less than 80 NHL games

Staal?As in Jordan Staal?He still has two more seasons of junior eligibilty after he is drafted in June

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 11:28 PM
  #9
MMMcasserole
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch
Korpedo-Graham-Jessiman
Callahan-Dubinsky-Staal
Cliche-Olver-Bahensky
Fedorov-Genoway-Crabb

Sauer-Baranka
Liffiton-Pock
Taylor-Potter/Guenin

Holt
Not even close

MMMcasserole is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 11:30 PM
  #10
bobbop
Henrik & Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 5,251
vCash: 500
People on this board are constantly selling Dane Byers short. You need to look past his statistics to a heart and soul player with great leadership ability. I've heard him compared to Shjon Podein, which wouldn't be half bad at all.

bobbop is offline  
Old
01-21-2006, 12:15 AM
  #11
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Rangers have six college seniors:Greg Moore,Corey Potter,Nathan Guenin,Joey Crabb,Kenny Roche and Mike Walsh who need to signed by August 15 or they can become free agents

Ryan Callahan and Jonathan Paiement can become free agents if they are not signed by June 1.Jakub Petruzalek could fall into that overage group

Dane Byers,Brandon Dubinsky,Zdenek Bahensky and Roman Psurny need to signed by June 1 or they can re-enter the draft.Lauri Korpikoski falls into that group considering European draft picks need to be signed within two years of their draft year

Does Jan Marek come over next year?

Kenny Roche is a Junior.

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
01-21-2006, 12:17 AM
  #12
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
People on this board are constantly selling Dane Byers short. You need to look past his statistics to a heart and soul player with great leadership ability. I've heard him compared to Shjon Podein, which wouldn't be half bad at all.

The kid gets a misconducts more then any player i know, a leader doesn't take dumb penalties because he can't control his emotions. And not surprisingly tonight he received another Game Misconduct.

He sounds like a dime a dozen of what we already have in our system. So I dont think people are selling him short.

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
01-21-2006, 12:19 AM
  #13
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Kenny Roche is a Junior.
I was just going to edit my original post after looking at the BU box score from tonight's game.Roche woke up

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-21-2006, 12:21 AM
  #14
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Rangers have six college seniors:Greg Moore,Corey Potter,Nathan Guenin,Joey Crabb,Kenny Roche and Mike Walsh who need to signed by August 15 or they can become free agents

Ryan Callahan and Jonathan Paiement can become free agents if they are not signed by June 1.Jakub Petruzalek could fall into that overage group

Dane Byers,Brandon Dubinsky,Zdenek Bahensky and Roman Psurny need to signed by June 1 or they can re-enter the draft.Lauri Korpikoski falls into that group considering European draft picks need to be signed within two years of their draft year

Does Jan Marek come over next year?
Reading your post and bmoaks above makes me wonder who will get away. I'd hate to lose any of the following because we were at the 50 contract limit:

Genoway
Girardi
G. Moore
Crabb
Guenin
Callahan
Paiement
Petruzalek
Byers
Dubinsky
Bahensky
Psurny
Korpikoski
Roche

That's 14 right there. Looking at the depth chart and how many guys are maybe in that sign 'em or lose 'em place, makes me think there are some tough choices to be made. Guess they can't get rid of Purinton fast enough.

Pizza is offline  
Old
01-21-2006, 12:23 AM
  #15
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Kenny Roche is a Junior.
Thanks, good to know.

Pizza is offline  
Old
01-21-2006, 12:26 AM
  #16
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,985
vCash: 500
Former Avs and Coyotes amateur scout Dave Draper really liked Roche when the Rangers drafted him three years ago.Draper was considered to be one of the best scouts in the business

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-21-2006, 01:21 AM
  #17
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,193
vCash: 500
Looking at goalie-- Gherson has absolutely outplayed Holt so far. That doesn't necessarily mean that he'll turn out the better player but I think that needs to be taken into consideration. What this influx of players into the system means to me is sayonara to certain Wolfpack vets. I don't expect Weller to be one of them but Purinton, Grenier, possibly Lampman, Rullier, Giroux, Wiseman, Fedorov, Taffe are all candidates. I agree that it's probably best not to go with 22 year olds and under although Genoway, Immonen and Helminen will be a little older than that. They along with Dawes are responsible for a lot of our offensive punch down there. So if the players above are in the way and the Rangers consider them to not have a reasonable chance then they need to go somewhere else.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
01-21-2006, 10:22 PM
  #18
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,637
vCash: 500
As for goalie, Holt is signed for 2 years beyond this one (I believe), so the Rangers will not let him go. He is also 2 years younger than Gherson and Gherson has played a lot more hockey. Late round goalies take longer to develop, and it wouldn't hurt Holt to spend more time in the ECHL. LaBarbare didn't start the year in Hartford until his 3rd pro season.

Gherson could be signed to an AHL contract with the Pack and that wouldn't count against the Rangers' 50 limit. The Pack could also fill holes for a veteran or 2, role players, and/or depth players to start the year Charlotte with players on AHL contracts. However, most of Hartford's current "veterans" (none of them except Purinton qulaify as veterans under the AHL's veteran limit rule) are still young enough not to give up their NHL dreams and would likely try to hook up with another organization rather than sign an AHL-only contract with the Pack. Also, all the players in Charlotte with expiring contracts who have been there more than a year will not be renewed (Rawlyk, Stals, Cullen, MacIntyre).

Neither Staal or Rachunek will play in Hartford, but if they are signed by the Rangers, that will add to the contract squeeze.


Last edited by bmoak: 01-21-2006 at 10:28 PM.
bmoak is offline  
Old
01-22-2006, 01:04 PM
  #19
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Sauer still has one more season of junior eligibilty and is not allowed to play in the AHL.Same thing with Cliche.Olver will probably spend another year at Northern Michigan.Fedorov will not be in the organization.He will be a group 6 free agent-25 years old or older who has completed three or more pro seasons and has played less than 80 NHL games

Staal?As in Jordan Staal?He still has two more seasons of junior eligibilty after he is drafted in June
I was in dreamland on that one. I totally forgot Cliche and Sauer wouldnt be available. And I forgot about the eligibility rule for UFA status in Fedorov's terms.

RGY is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.