HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Sudbury Gets Aliu, and they're not done yet.

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Kitsune

vCash: 500
Sudbury Gets Aliu, and they're not done yet.

Here are the confirmed Deals:

To Oshawa:
Brent Parnham

To Sudbury:
Gary Friesen

-----
To Windsor:
Keaton Turkiewicz, Jordan Cheechoo, 2nd Rnd '07

To Sudbury:
Akim Aliu
-------

The Unconfirmed trade is...
To Sudbury:
Tyler Kennedy

To Sault Ste. Marie:
Dias and a 2nd Round Pick.

Everyone is expecting the Kennedy deal to go through, and I need some time to absorb all this.

Old
01-08-2006, 12:30 AM
leafaholix*

word is that pouliot is being traded from sudbury

Old
01-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Kitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore_boy
word is that pouliot is being traded from sudbury
I highly doubt it as the owner pretty much hinted that he wanted to make a run at the championship last week...

Old
01-08-2006, 01:06 AM
rydude189

Well i say Sudbury got ripped off in the Parnham-Fresien trade as Parnham was our 1st round pick this year and Fresien is a 3rd year player who scores the odd goal...all i can say is

The Aliu trade, im thinking could be a good one. We gave up Turk who was starting to produce and cheechoo who obviously is nothing like his brother and a 2nd rounder in '07 for a unproven player that im having high hopes for. I think as long as no one is distracted by the whole bunch of incidents in Windsor this year he could be good in years to come.

The rumor involving Dias and a 2nd for Kennedy is one that will most likely go through...The wolves want to go for it this year and will need a player like Kennedy to do it. Dias is from the Soo which makes this trade even more likely to happen.

From what i see, so far Sudbury has not improved their chances of winning but when the Soo trade goes through things should look up

As for Pouliot...im praying that he will be traded to a team that will over pay on this guy based on the fact it's Benoit Pouliot, the guy that was picked 4th overall. He can be very lazy at times and will take the stupid penalties. There were early rumors this year that Ottawa would trade for him (because pouliot's from ottawa) for danny bottiacho (s.p?) (who is from sudbury and is an OA). But the wolves are now trying to trade one of their OA's as they have too many...so i dont really know what will happen to pouliot but i hope he kickes it into high gear and starts playing like he should by the playoffs.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Kitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydude189
Well i say Sudbury got ripped off in the Parnham-Fresien trade as Parnham was our 1st round pick this year and Fresien is a 3rd year player who scores the odd goal...all i can say is

The Aliu trade, im thinking could be a good one. We gave up Turk who was starting to produce and cheechoo who obviously is nothing like his brother and a 2nd rounder in '07 for a unproven player that im having high hopes for. I think as long as no one is distracted by the whole bunch of incidents in Windsor this year he could be good in years to come.

The rumor involving Dias and a 2nd for Kennedy is one that will most likely go through...The wolves want to go for it this year and will need a player like Kennedy to do it. Dias is from the Soo which makes this trade even more likely to happen.

From what i see, so far Sudbury has not improved their chances of winning but when the Soo trade goes through things should look up

As for Pouliot...im praying that he will be traded to a team that will over pay on this guy based on the fact it's Benoit Pouliot, the guy that was picked 4th overall. He can be very lazy at times and will take the stupid penalties. There were early rumors this year that Ottawa would trade for him (because pouliot's from ottawa) for danny bottiacho (s.p?) (who is from sudbury and is an OA). But the wolves are now trying to trade one of their OA's as they have too many...so i dont really know what will happen to pouliot but i hope he kickes it into high gear and starts playing like he should by the playoffs.
Well, I'm thinking Team Canada gave him a new boost, but I guess we will see today....

Old
01-08-2006, 02:45 PM
luv_canadian_hockey

is akim aliu a good hockey player??

Old
01-08-2006, 10:38 PM
rydude189

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_canadian_hockey
is akim aliu a good hockey player??
Well he was a first round selection this year so he cant be half bad.

Played with the wolves today in a 1-0 loss to Brampton so he hasnt helped us win yet lol

I'd wait a few games before making any judgment as this was his first game in 2 months since the lil incidents in Windsor

Old
01-09-2006, 01:28 PM
FearTheFlyers

Windsor also traded Brett Liscomb and a 2nd for Bryan Bickell.

Old
01-09-2006, 01:34 PM
shayne

seems like a heavy price for Aliu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lone Wolf
Here are the confirmed Deals:

To Oshawa:
Brent Parnham

To Sudbury:
Gary Friesen

-----
To Windsor:
Keaton Turkiewicz, Jordan Cheechoo, 2nd Rnd '07

To Sudbury:
Akim Aliu
-------

The Unconfirmed trade is...
To Sudbury:
Tyler Kennedy

To Sault Ste. Marie:
Dias and a 2nd Round Pick.

Everyone is expecting the Kennedy deal to go through, and I need some time to absorb all this.
i am a former Sudbury boy and former season ticket holder and was curious if the deal was a heavy price to pay for Aliu, what kind of upside does he have and is he a future top rated NHL draft pick

Old
01-09-2006, 05:21 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmmm

Sudbury really did not give up all that much to get Aliu. Basically a very late 2nd round pick and two young guys with sparse numbers.

On the other hand will Aliu bring baggage with him?

Old
01-09-2006, 06:54 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
Sudbury really did not give up all that much to get Aliu. Basically a very late 2nd round pick and two young guys with sparse numbers.

On the other hand will Aliu bring baggage with him?
I really think Windsor got the best of this deal. Cheechoo is nothing special but Turk will be a good OHLer and a 2nd round pick is gravy for a headcase like Aliu.

More than I ever imagined they would get for him.

Old
01-17-2006, 05:24 AM
TheFinalWord

Aliu will be a dominant OHLer. He already is showing that he can physically dominate many players and he's only 16. If he keeps his head on straight, Sudbury wins this deal hands down. If there is a repeat of the Windsor fiasco, Windsor comes away the victor.

Old
01-18-2006, 06:05 PM
JrHockeyFan

Who knows

Some guys force trades and are happy just to go anywhere else. Other guys just keep moanin' and groanin'

Aliu might have to tools to do well. It is up to him to prove himself. The Spits thing will dog him for years anyway.

Look at Schremp as an example. He was still being dogged about that request to leave Mississauga by the press at the WJC. When reporters want something to write or ask about, they will always go back to something controversial. It is just the way it is.

I have not seen Aliu play for the Wolves as yet, but he seemed to do okay against the Knights last week. Then again I think talent is not what people are questioning here.

BTW: Why is it that Sudbury is not one of the TV broadcast teams? No Rogers/Cogeco/whatever volunteers?

Old
01-18-2006, 08:20 PM
sensnucksfan5311

Send a message via MSN to sensnucksfan5311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
Some guys force trades and are happy just to go anywhere else. Other guys just keep moanin' and groanin'

Aliu might have to tools to do well. It is up to him to prove himself. The Spits thing will dog him for years anyway.

Look at Schremp as an example. He was still being dogged about that request to leave Mississauga by the press at the WJC. When reporters want something to write or ask about, they will always go back to something controversial. It is just the way it is.

I have not seen Aliu play for the Wolves as yet, but he seemed to do okay against the Knights last week. Then again I think talent is not what people are questioning here.

BTW: Why is it that Sudbury is not one of the TV broadcast teams? No Rogers/Cogeco/whatever volunteers?
I'm not totally sure on this, but I think the arena isn't set up to do a good broadcast, there's not enough spaces for cameras from different angles. I remember TSN broadcasting a playoff game about 10 years ago, but I've maybe only seen one game broadcasted here since then.

Old
01-19-2006, 11:18 PM
JrHockeyFan

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensnucksfan5311
I'm not totally sure on this, but I think the arena isn't set up to do a good broadcast, there's not enough spaces for cameras from different angles. I remember TSN broadcasting a playoff game about 10 years ago, but I've maybe only seen one game broadcasted here since then.
Thanks for the info.

I don't know what the rest of you think, but TV really has made the league a lot more interesting. It is easier to get an idea who is hot and who is not. It is a great way to get informed about what the league is all about. having the OHL pack is great. I wish that all the teams got exposure.

Speaking of which: Tight game in Windsor tonite. That Garlock really impressed me tonite.

Closed Thread