HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

What if... Yugoslavia

Old
05-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Jazz

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by insider
Where would they rank? Do they have any star players?

If Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Serbia-Montenegro got back together to form a hockey team?

I only know of two players from that region (Anze Kopitar,Dragan Umicevic), are there any other good players?

Thanks
What if Pangea never split up.....

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 11:13 PM
SlapnutsV1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_of_66
What about Weinrich or Bartovic?

SlapnutsV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 05:54 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Weinrich sounds Jewish.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 09:29 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORRUS
Actually he is Bosnian Serb so he should be listed as Bosnian. But of course he grew up in Sweden and he is Swedish.
No he is not. He is a Serb, period.

Bosnians - people of Islamic faith and Ukrainians living there
Serbs - well Serbs
Croats - well Croats

If Umicevic says he's a Serb, which he did, then he's what he says he is.

Also:

Dmitry Kristhich was born in Belgrade, Serbia. Not sure if he is Serbian or Ukrainian though.

Peter Popovic is definitely Serbian which I know for a fact.

Adrien Plavsic is Serbian eve though he has a Croatian sounding name.

Sasha Lakovic is Serbian as well.

Ned Lukacevic is from Montenegro iirc.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 12:32 PM
TORRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle

Who are these 4? Popovic sounds familiar but I really don't know who they are.

TORRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 01:37 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Who are these 4? Popovic sounds familiar but I really don't know who they are.
Peter Popovic = nicknamed "Gentle Giant". A SWE D.

Dont know the other 3.

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 04:00 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra
Peter Popovic = nicknamed "Gentle Giant". A SWE D.

Dont know the other 3.
Plavsic is a Canadian defenseman playing in Switzerland. Won the league with Zurich a couple of years ago.

Dont know the other 2

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2006, 04:03 AM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:

Serbs - well Serbs
Croats - well Croats

Also:

Dmitry Kristhich was born in Belgrade, Serbia. Not sure if he is Serbian or Ukrainian though.

Sasha Lakovic has called himself a Croat. He's a Vancouver native that has played both in the NHL (mainly cast as an enforcer) and in Roller Hockey
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00006387

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2006, 12:32 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:

Serbs - well Serbs
Croats - well Croats

Also:

He's Ukrainian

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 03:19 AM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
Ned Lukacevic is a Kings prospect.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter
He's Ukrainian
I asked around and I got mixed answers, but two remained a constant. He was born in Belgrade, and lived a part of his childhood in Ukraine.

- some say that his family moved to Ukraine
- others say that he is half/half
- some think that he is Serbian, but changed his last name from "Kristic" to "Khristich" when he came over to NA.

Old
05-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Haute Couture

Quote:
I asked around and I got mixed answers, but two remained a constant. He was born in Belgrade, and lived a part of his childhood in Ukraine.

- some say that his family moved to Ukraine
- others say that he is half/half
- some think that he is Serbian, but changed his last name from "Kristic" to "Khristich" when he came over to NA.
This is interesting, since I always thought he was born in Kiev (all official almanachs say that). I was about to laugh at you, but then it does sound like Kristic, which does sound Serbian.. the "ch" ending is something utilized by Russians/Ukrainians. But it sounds the same as "ic" in Serbian, only Serbian has a small "five" semicircle under the 'c'... So he could be a Sovietized Serbian for all we know.. Like Pavel Bure, whose great-grandfather originally came from France with a last name close to Bourret or something. It just sounds Bure in Russian, and so it was translated into english.

Haute Couture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 03:51 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saprykin
This is interesting, since I always thought he was born in Kiev (all official almanachs say that). I was about to laugh at you, but then it does sound like Kristic, which does sound Serbian.. the "ch" ending is something utilized by Russians/Ukrainians. But it sounds the same as "ic" in Serbian, only Serbian has a small "five" semicircle under the 'c'... So he could be a Sovietized Serbian for all we know.. Like Pavel Bure, whose great-grandfather originally came from France with a last name close to Bourret or something. It just sounds Bure in Russian, and so it was translated into english.
most probable reason why all official almanachs say that he was born in Kiev is because the family moved there when he was small and he may have grown up there. Now is he a serbian who moved to Ukraine, or a ukrainian born in serbia who moved to ukraine or is he half serbian/half ukrainian who was born in Serbia and grew up in ukraine I can't say for sure.

the reason why i think he may be serbian who grew up in Ukraine is because of both his first and last name. Dmitriy = Dmitro or Dmitar are Serbian equivalents and Kristic is a very common last name in Serbia.

Old
05-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Spitfire11

Well if Peter Popovic is Serbian, I'd take a guess Atlanta prospect Mark Popovic is as well. Nick Drazenovic sounds like a Serbian name too.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 07:59 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11
Well if Peter Popovic is Serbian, I'd take a guess Atlanta prospect Mark Popovic is as well. Nick Drazenovic sounds like a Serbian name too.
You're right about Mark Popovic. Nick Drazenovic I have no clue about.

Old
05-17-2006, 10:16 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
how about Mark Fistric he has to be Serbian?

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2006, 10:45 PM
SerbianEagle

no idea about Fistric, could be Serbian or Croatian.

Old
05-30-2006, 12:52 PM
BMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saprykin
Like Pavel Bure, whose great-grandfather originally came from France with a last name close to Bourret or something. It just sounds Bure in Russian, and so it was translated into english.
His great grandfather was a watchmaker.And he was French but from a Swiss canton.PB

Hopefully Serbia can recover as they have in the football after all that oppression.

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2006, 11:55 AM
TORRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by takharov
Hopefully Serbia can recover as they have in the football after all that oppression.
Oppression?

They haven't recovered from anything. Good football team is just because it's just traditionaly #1 sport, not because they invested money in it or because of smart developing programs. There are no developing programs! Just old dirty remains from the past and mafia from the present.

Pretty much the same sh*** in my country as well. Sad.

Old
05-31-2006, 03:28 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Oppression?

They haven't recovered from anything. Good football team is just because it's just traditionaly #1 sport, not because they invested money in it or because of smart developing programs. There are no developing programs! Just old dirty remains from the past and mafia from the present.

Pretty much the same sh*** in my country as well. Sad.
yes oppresion. being bombed by everyone and their dog for fighting terrorism within your own borders is just that.

You just had to comment didn't you? You have no clue who is running the Football Association, Basketball Association... in Serbia. Mafia? Maybe in your country.

Don't talk about stuff that you have no clue about.

Old
05-31-2006, 04:58 PM
TORRUS

Quote:
yes oppresion. being bombed by everyone and their dog for fighting terrorism within your own borders is just that.

You just had to comment didn't you? You have no clue who is running the Football Association, Basketball Association... in Serbia. Mafia? Maybe in your country.

Don't talk about stuff that you have no clue about.
I am not entering political discussions with you. We can talk about anything else.

To clear things up, I am by no means nationalist and if there's anything in this world that I hate, then it's people who first look at colour, origin and nationality. I have many Serbian friends, visit your country quite often so I can judge things very realisticaly. Can you?

I don't have to see something to know that it's true. I don't know who runs your associations but since your whole country is run by mafia (just like mine) I'm sure those associations that you're talking about are as well. After all, Serbian football league is very corrupted and famous of fixing games. But that's a public secret so I cannot give you any proofs; and neither can you for the opposite.

I am not accepting ''you have no clue about it'' from a guy who lives 15 000 km from here. Reading internet news is not enough.

Old
05-31-2006, 05:08 PM
SerbianEagle

serbian league is famous for fixing games? Show me proof, or don't talk about it. Serbia is run by mafia? Prove it or stop making accusations.

As for me being away, trust me i don't read the papers or internet news, especially North American ones because they are so biased to one side that there no point in reading them.

I was there for the war of 1991-1995 and the bombing in 1999. Please don't tell me that I don't know what I am talking about. I know what I am talking about, but most people refuse to believe anything unless its on CNN so I'd just as soon not talk about it.

Old
05-31-2006, 06:20 PM
TORRUS

Quote:
serbian league is famous for fixing games? Show me proof, or don't talk about it. Serbia is run by mafia? Prove it or stop making accusations.
It's pretty obvious that you don't live here... I just told you that I cannot prove you that! Some things are well known without being proved on court! Just like everybody knew that there was fixing games in Italy but couldn't prove it until few days ago. Somebody will prove the same thing for Serbian football one day. And denying it just shows me how ignorat you are and how far away you live.

And yes, Serbia is run by mafia! Who do you think is hiding 2 of the most wanted fugitives in the world (apart from Bin Laden)? Who the ******* do you think killed your prime minister 3 years ago?! Honest people who care about prosperity and peace???

Quote:
As for me being away, trust me i don't read the papers or internet news, especially North American ones because they are so biased to one side that there no point in reading them.
If you live 15 000 km away and don't read any internet news how do you know anything at all and how do you even dare arguing with me? And then I don't have a clue... ha ha!

Did you even know that your prime minister was killed? Your new one is Vojislav Kostunica and your new president is Boris Tadic. Your former president died in prison 2 months ago.

Well, many things happend after 95' and 99' when you were here. Things almost as horrible as war. And you missed that so I cannot take you seriously.

This discussion is over until you either grow up or take your Militaire glasses off.

In the meantime; educate yourself with an unbiased and reliable site: http://www.b92.net/indexs.phtml

Old
05-31-2006, 08:28 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
It's pretty obvious that you don't live here... I just told you that I cannot prove you that!
If you don't have any PROOF, written PROOF then quit making accusations. Who the hell do you think you are to talk about Serbia?

Quote:
Who do you think is hiding 2 of the most wanted fugitives in the world (apart from Bin Laden)?
Do you know they are in Serbia? No you don't, you are just talking out of your a**. For all anyone knows they could be anywhere on the bloody planet. Speaking of fugitives, how about the support that croat government has publicly given to the killer Gotovina?

Quote:
If you live 15 000 km away and don't read any internet news how do you know anything at all and how do you even dare arguing with me? And then I don't have a clue... ha ha!
I have relatives, family and friends who are a helluva lot more reliable than any media. Add to that the fact that either myself or someone from my immediate family goes to Serbia once or twice a year. Also who the **** do you think you are? Why shouldn't I argue when you are obviously lying and making stuff up for no reason.

YOU are the one who needs to grow up because YOU turned a hockey discussion into a political one.

I wear regular prescription glasses, but you are wearing the type that turns you into a bloody annoying liar.

Grow up.

Old
06-01-2006, 04:09 AM
TORRUS

This is getting funny...

Quote:
If you don't have any PROOF, written PROOF then quit making accusations. Who the hell do you think you are to talk about Serbia?
You need a proof that Zoran Djindjic is dead? I honestly hope you don't... As for the proof about the corruption in your football; you''ll have to wait a little bit more. And I din't know that only those who were borne there have a right to talk about Serbia. You have no rights to talk about Canada!

BTW, take a look at this forum and see yourself what Serbians think about it all. To me it sounds like mafia... http://forum.b92.net/lofiversion/index.php/f7.html

Quote:
Do you know they are in Serbia? No you don't, you are just talking out of your a**. For all anyone knows they could be anywhere on the bloody planet.
Do you know that they are not? Well, tell all that to your minister then. This is how your minister publicly accuses maifa.
http://www.b92.net/info/vesti/index....&nav_id=197584

At least I'm not the only one talking from my a**. I guess all those people in the forum are also talking from thier a**es. They shouldn't be banned from the country for that. Or killed.

Quote:
Speaking of fugitives, how about the support that croat government has publicly given to the killer Gotovina?
I apslolutely agree! My goverment makes me ashamed to be a Croat. I HATE them! You see, it's not that hard to admit the mistakes of your country. But I know your pride doesn't let you to admit the same.

Quote:
Also who the **** do you think you are? Why shouldn't I argue when you are obviously lying and making stuff up for no reason.
I wear regular prescription glasses, but you are wearing the type that turns you into a bloody annoying liar.
Why are you calling me a liar? Please, show me where I lied. You'd want me to lie but I'm not giving you that satisfaction. Unlike you, I am not pressured by any special feelings towards any of the sides and I apsolutely feel no need to lie. I'm just trying to look at things realisticly and unbiased.

If you feel the need to reply do it via PM so that hockey talk can continue in this thread.