HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu Part III

Old
10-25-2016, 08:12 PM
Tyson

vCash: 500
I see Beaulieu topping out as a bottom pairing D. I just don't think he has the hockey IQ for this level.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 08:27 AM
montreal
Global Moderator
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Comparing Subban, an elite, best of the best, defenseman in the NHL and Beaulieu, is exactly why were all throwing stones at each others in this thread.

Let's clear something up: Beaulieu will never be Subban. Beaulieu will never be Karlsson. Beaulieu will never be Doughty. Beaulieu is beaulieu, and it's alright for him to be himself.

It's also alright for him to settle in the NHL as a 30 points guy like Petry. There's no problem in that.

Expectations are so high for a prospect many didn't care about just before this summer. Why are we looking to Beaulieu to fill the shoes of Subban ?

Subban didn't struggle defensively when he came in the NHL, he dominated, they are two different players.
why are you quoting me and not the poster that brought Subban into this discussion?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
why are you quoting me and not the poster that brought Subban into this discussion?
Sorry, misquoted but anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
I see Beaulieu topping out as a bottom pairing D. I just don't think he has the hockey IQ for this level.
So what? Who gives a flying ****. Stop making him a scapegoat because hes not a number one D and start to appreciate what he can bring on the ice.

Last edited by montreal: 10-27-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Victorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Beaulieu can easily shine on a second pairing. And might be good enough to play some first pairing down the road.

Victorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 01:56 PM
yianik

Quote:
So what? Who gives a flying ****. Stop making him a scapegoat because hes not a number one D and start to appreciate what he can bring on the ice.
What you say is fine, as Beaulieu is certainly an NHL calibre D man.

The issue is that we need a no.2 capable D man by the time the play-offs start anyway. The question is whether Beaulieu can be that guy. Perhaps he can't, at least this season. If that is the case, then we might have to look for one in a trade as it does not look as if we have anybody else that can step up. Fowler of course.

We usually have a player or two that appears to be miscast by the coach for a role the player ought not to be played in, and then the player gets killed by the fans. Brisbois was not a no.1 D but played in that role because we had nobody else and the fans ate the poor guy up. More recently see Darche, Weise etc.

I will say though I do not blame MT here at all. we need a no.2 and he is giving Beaulieu a shot, which makes sense.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:37 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
What you say is fine, as Beaulieu is certainly an NHL calibre D man.

The issue is that we need a no.2 capable D man by the time the play-offs start anyway. The question is whether Beaulieu can be that guy. Perhaps he can't, at least this season. If that is the case, then we might have to look for one in a trade as it does not look as if we have anybody else that can step up. Fowler of course.

We usually have a player or two that appears to be miscast by the coach for a role the player ought not to be played in, and then the player gets killed by the fans. Brisbois was not a no.1 D but played in that role because we had nobody else and the fans ate the poor guy up. More recently see Darche, Weise etc.

I will say though I do not blame MT here at all. we need a no.2 and he is giving Beaulieu a shot, which makes sense.
Ill tell you right up front, if you think Fowler is an upgrade on Beaulieu... Nothing can help you.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Chez Weber
King of the North

I don't think Fowler is an option at the moment. Unless we trade Beaulieu + for Fowler it wouldn't make sense because we would lose an important defenseman to the expansion draft. LV would be happy to pick up Despres and Beaulieu from us and Anaheim.

I rather let them get Carr or Mitchell

Chez Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Hot Dog Water Shaw

Quote:
Ill tell you right up front, if you think Fowler is an upgrade on Beaulieu... Nothing can help you.
What...? Fowler is significantly better than Beaulieu.

Hot Dog Water Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:50 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
He'll be gone soon I think.

He's like a flip of the coin. He can make really incredible plays or really idiotic junior level brain farts. He just overthinks things. I'd rather find a LD upgrade and use him as one of the trade chips.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Weber View Post
I don't think Fowler is an option at the moment. Unless we trade Beaulieu + for Fowler it wouldn't make sense because we would lose an important defenseman to the expansion draft. LV would be happy to pick up Despres and Beaulieu from us and Anaheim.

Ana will only trade Fowler for a potential top 6 forward. So your going to have to give up a guy like Lehkonen and a pick (or Beaulieu)... Something like that. Ana wants a forward so they can protect them in expansion draft. They already have plenty of D to protect (and forced to protect...Bieksa)

So for as much as Fowler is a good fit for MTL... Ana is not a good trading partner unless the Habs are willing to part ways with a top 6 forward. No trade.. Keep Beaulieu and lets not force things!

Habaholicgolfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:52 AM
Chez Weber
King of the North

Quote:
Fowler is very good at clearing the puck from the zone. He also is a proven top pair D as he had the most TOI on the best defense last year.

Of course I'd like to acquire Lindholm more than Fowler, but that's not happening

Old
10-27-2016, 08:55 AM
Agalloch
EliteProspects

He had ups and downs yesterday but that guy is too inconsistent to be a top 3 D in the NHL. Trade him while he still has value.

Last edited by Agalloch: 10-27-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Agalloch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:57 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
He had ups and downs yesterday but that guy is too inconsistent to be a top 3 D in the NHL. Trade him while he has still value.
He will continue to have value. His stock is not going down any time soon

Quote:

Going to cost a top 6 forward for sure!

Last edited by montreal: 10-27-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Habaholicgolfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Agalloch
EliteProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
He will continue to have value. His stock is not going down any time soon
Possible, we could wait but I'm not sure we will be interested in signing him long term.

Old
10-27-2016, 09:09 AM
Chez Weber
King of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
[/U][/B]

Going to cost a top 6 forward for sure!
I was referring to the expansion draft. I rather lose Mitchell or Carr than Beaulieu

Old
10-27-2016, 09:17 AM
Agalloch
EliteProspects

Quote:
I was referring to the expansion draft. I rather lose Mitchell or Carr than Beaulieu
I don't think we will protect Beaulieu if we find a real top 4 to play with Weber. We could wait until trade deadline and trade for a UFA and protect Beaulieu for the draft this summer.

Old
10-27-2016, 10:22 AM
montreal
Global Moderator
Go Habs Go

I wouldn't think the Ducks are in any hurry to trade Fowler since he's got 7 pts in 8 games to start the year. Plus with his 4M cap hit we would have to move about 3M to afford him and have some room left over. But I can't believe someone would think Fowler isn't an upgrade on Beaulieu, he was on pace for 34 pts last year and put up 70 pts over the previous 2 seasons.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 12:49 PM
capebretoncanadien

Played a great game last night.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Agreed, had a great game overall, didn't hesitate to carry the puck up the ice and generated quite a few scoring chances.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Tyson

Quote:
Easily his best game of the year.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Deebs
Canadians win

Quote:
Really struggled in the 1st period, but what was nice to see is it didn't effect him so much that he couldn't put it together for the last 2 periods in which he played very well offensively and decent in his own end.

The less he thinks out there, the better he is.

Just go Bo, just go...lol

Deebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Agalloch
EliteProspects

He's playing better against 3rd and 4th liners.

Old
10-27-2016, 02:16 PM
KawaYui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
Really struggled in the 1st period, but what was nice to see is it didn't effect him so much that he couldn't put it together for the last 2 periods in which he played very well offensively and decent in his own end.

The less he thinks out there, the better he is.

Just go Bo, just go...lol
yea Beaulieu plays better when he plays a lot
He played a lot in the 3rd period and he looked really good

KawaYui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 02:22 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
He's playing better against 3rd and 4th liners.
For me that's what was clearly happening. Having to play with Weber he really has to face top opposition. Being away from him should only free him up.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 03:01 PM
scrubadam

NB is what he is a decent middle D who is still young. I think the myth of him being an top D and that he has been ruined needs to be put to rest. His ceiling to me is a Petry type, an excellent 2nd pairing D who can skate and hit but isn't elite at those things.

Nothing wrong with a late 1st turning into that. And we need to remember this is a cap era you can't have every hole filled with the best player it doesn't work that way. Every team has holes. We want Fowler because he could make a good top 4D but ANA would trade him because they have holes up front. And if we trade for a top 4D it will create hole somewhere else. In a cap world you can't have all stars at every position.

scrubadam is online now   Reply With Quote