HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu Part III

Old
10-27-2016, 10:38 PM
capebretoncanadien

vCash: 500
Oh my but the furious beatdown he put on Paquette tonight.

I didn't see it live but watched the replay on EOTP it sent a chill up my spine.

One of the last guys in the NHL I'd ever want to fight with.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 10:47 PM
Beendair Donedat

He broke Paquette's visor last year and put a nice quick beating on him tonight for that late shot on Price. Terrific response. Don't touch our all star goaltender or you'll pay the consequences. Extremely happy with Beaulieu tonight on that play.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 04:39 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
NB is what he is a decent middle D who is still young. I think the myth of him being an top D and that he has been ruined needs to be put to rest. His ceiling to me is a Petry type, an excellent 2nd pairing D who can skate and hit but isn't elite at those things.

Nothing wrong with a late 1st turning into that. And we need to remember this is a cap era you can't have every hole filled with the best player it doesn't work that way. Every team has holes. We want Fowler because he could make a good top 4D but ANA would trade him because they have holes up front. And if we trade for a top 4D it will create hole somewhere else. In a cap world you can't have all stars at every position.
He was a 17th overall pick and known for his skill, I don't see why fans wouldn't have expected him to be a top pairing D. As for how he was handled, I think it would be a mistake not to discuss it since management has continued to make the same mistakes with other 1st round picks that have played in the NHL too quickly. He hopefully does end up being an excellent 2nd pairing D, but he's already an elite skater imo, as to me it's his best asset. My problem has always been his decision making in his own end, his lack of a shot, his ability to get it on net, his lack of production for a skilled defensemen and repeating the same kind of mistakes over and over.

Now that he's on the bottom pairing again, it should help take some pressure off him but it leaves us with a major problem as we will need someone to step up into that top pairing with Weber as it's working now with Emelin but not sure that will last as Emelin is also more of a bottom pairing D imo.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 04:43 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He was a 17th overall pick and known for his skill, I don't see why fans wouldn't have expected him to be a top pairing D. As for how he was handled, I think it would be a mistake not to discuss it since management has continued to make the same mistakes with other 1st round picks that have played in the NHL too quickly. He hopefully does end up being an excellent 2nd pairing D, but he's already an elite skater imo, as to me it's his best asset. My problem has always been his decision making in his own end, his lack of a shot, his ability to get it on net, his lack of production for a skilled defensemen and repeating the same kind of mistakes over and over.

Now that he's on the bottom pairing again, it should help take some pressure off him but it leaves us with a major problem as we will need someone to step up into that top pairing with Weber as it's working now with Emelin but not sure that will last as Emelin is also more of a bottom pairing D imo.
Makes you wonder if there will be a deal involving Fowler...

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 04:53 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I don't know what they will do but with the way Fowler has started the season at least stats wise, I don't see why they would trade him since they are trying to win now as well and Despres out long term it's hard to guess what they will do. Granted there's still a very long time to go before the trade deadline but one thing I was looking at, it seems like more teams are in cap trouble then last year,

https://www.capfriendly.com/

plus the loonie hasn't done much movement which of course we are only in the 2nd quarter (or just about 4 months in) but it makes me wonder what will happen to the cap although this year is a bit different as I don't know about the impact of LV's franchise fee in terms of if it will impact the cap in 2017-18 or not.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 10:22 AM
rockjngo

I feel Beaulieu is better fit at 5-6 than he is 1-2. He looks good last night playing with Pateryn in the bottom pair.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 03:38 PM
M.C.G. 31
BE HUMBLE

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I'd LOVE Fowler but the price would be huge. If Anaheim is still looking to move him to make cap space, though, while getting back a good young player, I'd be okay with including Beaulieu in a deal to get a guy like Fowler who'd fit in seamlessly on our top pairing with Weber.

10-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Tickarski

There's been a ton of talk on the trade forum about Fowler to Montreal (way too much to be honest, it was getting tedious). What it always came down to is that what Anaheim needs in return, we don't have to give. Plus, we also have a salary cap. Montreal will not get Fowler, sorry.

As for Beaulieu, I don't see him ever being a big point producer. He can skate with the puck better than any D we have but his shooting and passing are mediocre at best. On the defensive end, he's a gritty player, but doesn't anticipate the play well doesn't always make the best decisions. He's a solid #5, who could grow into a top 4. Those are all learnable skills.

Tickarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 06:19 PM
DAChampion

My understanding is that Fowler is likely to be traded as Anaheim won't be able to protect him.

If that is the case, his trade value is strongly depreciated from what it normally. They're basically selling a deadline rental in which case they won't get much.

But there's no point in them trading Fowler for Beaulieu in that context, as they'll also lose Beaulieu during expansion lol.

If Anaheim is somehow out of the playoff picture come deadline, Montreal should offer something like 1st+2nd for Fowler.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Tyson

You know I consider myself a huge Beaulieu fan. Recently I soured on him because it seems he may be nothing more than a 4-5 Dman in the league. You know what? If that's the case, I am ok with it.

I appreciated that he did not let someone skate by Price without addressing it.

If he plays 16-18 minutes per night...all good.

He looked excellent against both TB and NYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
My understanding is that Fowler is likely to be traded as Anaheim won't be able to protect him.

If that is the case, his trade value is strongly depreciated from what it normally. They're basically selling a deadline rental in which case they won't get much.

But there's no point in them trading Fowler for Beaulieu in that context, as they'll also lose Beaulieu during expansion lol.

If Anaheim is somehow out of the playoff picture come deadline, Montreal should offer something like 1st+2nd for Fowler.
Fowler has one more year after this one before he hits UFA. Bergevin would have to maneuver cap space to fit him in. He is a good Dman who will get 6 mil per once he hits UFA...I don't see Fowler as a fit.

Last edited by montreal: 10-29-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 05:06 PM
BomaLightDevils

Finally you guys see what others have seen in the last two years! Beaulieu will never be more then a bottom paring D if you want to win a cup. The one skill he has is on the way out of the game.

BomaLightDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 05:15 PM
Schwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomaLightDevils View Post
Finally you guys see what others have seen in the last two years! Beaulieu will never be more then a bottom paring D if you want to win a cup. The one skill he has is on the way out of the game.
He's in the same mold as Eller. Little flashes, but they never raise their game to the next level. I wonder what the offers were for him earlier and if they still stand? I truly belive Redmond could match what we get from Beaulieu. at the very least. He's put up the same numbers in 40 fewer games. he can skate and move the puck.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 08:35 PM
rockjngo

I have a big problem with Nate Beaulieu. He cannot think fast aND always stumble. It's a sign hockey sense is lacking. Most top players can process the game fast. I don't think Beaulieu is a top 4.

Old
10-30-2016, 12:54 AM
Pax Macioretty

I was at the game tonight, and I have to come to the conclusion that Nate Beaulieu (other than straight top speed) is a brutal skater.

His back-skating is sub NHL level, he loses an edge everytime he turns and his bad skating forces him to pull way backwords which creates an bad gap control 1 on 1.

Seriously, I'm ok with trading him now. Sure he'll have his odd good nights, but there's no way he's going to become a top 2 defensmen unless his skating gets 5x better.

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 12:57 AM
Kojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Macioretty View Post
I was at the game tonight, and I have to come to the conclusion that Nate Beaulieu (other than straight top speed) is brutal skater.

His back-skating is sub NHL level, he loses an edge everytime he turns and his bad skating forces him to pull way backwords which creates an bad gap control 1 on 1.

Seriously, I'm ok with trading him now. Sure he'll have his odd good nights, but there's no way he's going to become a top 2 defensmen unless his skating gets 5x better.
Beaulieu is alright on the third pair. Fairly sure he's going to be a Desert Knight next season.

Kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 01:07 AM
Runner77

vCash: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
Beaulieu is alright on the third pair. Fairly sure he's going to be a Desert Knight next season.
He does like to desert during the night. In the least, he used to, when Christian Thomas was here.

Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 02:47 AM
FazChenyuk

I don't think nate can be a top pairing d in this league . Bergy will have to find a veteran d like enstrom or we could get fowler from ducks

FazChenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 08:00 AM
Tyson

Most GM's give the beginning of new seasons about 20 games to assess where their teams are. The early thinking is that the Habs need some PMD help.

As much as I like Beaulieu he is a bottom 6 pairing. Not a bad thing but we still need help in the top 4.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 09:41 PM
rockjngo

Francois Gagnon said Marc Bergervin and Michel Therrien are watching Beaulieu closely. Apparently he has character issues. Source TSN

Old
10-31-2016, 09:59 PM
feds91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Francois Gagnon said Marc Bergervin and Michel Therrien are watching Beaulieu closely. Apparently he has character issues. Source TSN
Oh no, did Nathan and his dad assault more people?

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...lty-to-assault

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 10:48 PM
Doc McKenna

Quote:
We all said this was likely last year. More like he was friends with another D man. I bet we see reports of chuckie having character issues soon too.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 10:56 PM
Runner77

vCash: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
We all said this was likely last year. More like he was friends with another D man. I bet we see reports of chuckie having character issues soon too.
In a year when one of the top 4D spots was his to lose, he gets relegated to third pairing duties.

Of course, it's still early. However, not quite the impression a lot of us thought he was going to make -- wasn't he supposed to step it up from the get-go and show management that he deserved an earlier opportunity?

What's it going to take? He's still young however, is management seeing someone whose prospects are not what they thought they'd be when he was drafted? I'm not privy to any particular info however, as a betting man, I'd say he'd be the most likely to get moved as soon as a favorable deal is found.

Runner77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 06:23 AM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Quote:
I have a big problem with Nate Beaulieu. He cannot think fast aND always stumble. It's a sign hockey sense is lacking. Most top players can process the game fast. I don't think Beaulieu is a top 4.
Reminds me of Jake Gardiner. Looks good at times then has an awful brain cramp that costs the team. Never know what you're getting with him. He's been good so far though.

DangerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 07:40 AM
PaulD

Nate gets more bad ink than he deserves.

In a cap league you need guys like him . They dont make much and they dont hurt you.

I laugh come play off time every year. Watching every coach in the league try to hide the third pair.

Top pair is played to death. Second pair gives top pair a rest. Third pair is "YIKES, GET THEM OFF".

I like Nate at his position and role better than i like Emelin at his.

Nate wont hurt the team where he is playing.

You wont find a hockey fan on the planet who does not wish to improve their teams third pair. But the cap allows you to carry 3 or 4 play off worthy Dmen.

Nate and Pateryn is not where this team needs an upgrade.

The upgrade is needed at center and behind the bench.

But that's for another thread.

PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2016, 12:14 AM
Kojo

Soft, hardly can make the puck reach the opposite goaltender, can't defend the front of the net. I don't like what I see from him lately. He doesn't even look like a top 4.

Kojo is offline   Reply With Quote