HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Staios in contract year!Trouble?

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 05:54 PM
copperaddict

vCash: 500
Staios in contract year!Trouble?

Steve Simmons has in his column today that the Leafs should look at picking him up this year. This is his contract year and he doesn't believe the Oil won't be able to pay him what he is worth.

The way the D is looking, maybe it is Smith's turn to be traded this year?I was surprised he made it through last year after going to arbitration and now getting paid 3x as much as Staios.If it is true about Florida looking at Comrie then I'm sure Keenan would like to add Smith as well.
I would like to see us get someone who loves to shoot the puck in any Comrie deal. We have all kinds of playmakers.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
Steve Simmons has in his column today that the Leafs should look at picking him up this year. This is his contract year and he doesn't believe the Oil won't be able to pay him what he is worth.

The way the D is looking, maybe it is Smith's turn to be traded this year?I was surprised he made it through last year after going to arbitration and now getting paid 3x as much as Staios.If it is true about Florida looking at Comrie then I'm sure Keenan would like to add Smith as well.
I would like to see us get someone who loves to shoot the puck in any Comrie deal. We have all kinds of playmakers.

I think Staios is an important part of the Oil and we should do what we can to keep the guy. If the choice boils down to Staois or Gator, then Stevey is my man.

That said I would prefer to keep them both as Smith is the only D-man we have with that punishing (dare I say Hatcher-like) mean streak teams need on the line. Not to mention he's wears the C so he must do something in the dressing room.

Hopefully a new CBA will allow us to keep them both but I am worried about those prospects. I'd prefer some type of revenue sharing as I believe that is the only way for all teams to compete. But I guess that's probably for another post.

T

Old
10-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
That said I would prefer to keep them both as Smith is the only D-man we have with that punishing (dare I say Hatcher-like) mean streak teams need on the line. Not to mention he's wears the C so he must do something in the dressing room.
For now yes. But Semenov is supposed to be a banger and lookout for Matt Greene in a couple of years. By all accounts the guy should be locked up for brutality. (Read the top 20 article for comments from Oiler scout Chris McCarthy).

Also Doug Lynch is a Smith clone in a lot of respects... hitting is one of them.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:54 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Indeed - with Lynch on the doorstep I think Gator could should be gone after this year (he's a UFA, no?) We REALLY should do all we can to keep Staios though! I mean if we lose both them in the summer that means that we'd REALLY be putting trust in Lynch/Luoma for the immediate future.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
For now yes. But Semenov is supposed to be a banger and lookout for Matt Greene in a couple of years. By all accounts the guy should be locked up for brutality. (Read the top 20 article for comments from Oiler scout Chris McCarthy).

Also Doug Lynch is a Smith clone in a lot of respects... hitting is one of them.

Are any of those boys ready to play next year Guy? (Other than Semi of course)

I would prefer to keep Gator along with a more aggressive Seminov AND a Matt Greene in inmate orange. Makes it tougher for other teams to hack away in our end, and more tentative in the neutral zone.

Bring on the big, bad Oiler D!!!!

T

Old
10-21-2003, 02:02 PM
creative giant*

Steve Staios put together last game what he has been showing glimpses of last year. Right now he tops the oiler defense depth chart, if anyone should have to be payed less it should not be him, and to see him possibly go to the leafs would be a travesty. The only reason they know his name is because edmonton gave him a chance after atlanta turned their backs on him. If he is not an oiler past this year we as fans have to ask why couldn't cross, ferguson, or smith have been let go or traded to free up some cash for this guy. Ever since one game last year (can't remember which one or against who, sorry) when he stopped three two on one's i've been behind him 100%. i think the oilers shold be too

Old
10-21-2003, 02:12 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

I can see Staios settling for a small raise in order to stay in Edmonton. He seems to have found himself while playing for the Oilers. And you can bet Lowe will try his best to keep him here. I'm carefully optimistic that Staios will be here for at least another few years.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Hemmer

As strange as it sounds, Moreau and Smyth may have set a precedent on this team. Hopefully, some of the other leaders buy in to the idea of taking a little less to build something special too. Yes, room always has to be made for the kids - but it would be nice if that was our CHOICE for once.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:17 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Hasn't Lowe already started talking to Staios' agent about an extension? I think I read that somewhere.

Old
10-21-2003, 03:36 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Hasn't Lowe already started talking to Staios' agent about an extension? I think I read that somewhere.
Well lets hope so!!

Closed Thread