HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Hypothetically Speaking...

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2006, 08:40 PM
ILuvLA

vCash: 500
Hypothetically Speaking...

Say the Pens move to Kansas City and the arena (and perhaps team) is owned by AEG or some AEG affiliate. How large big would the negative impact be for LA? I have to think that the focus would be getting KC off the ground instead focusing on the Kings. I bring this up as AEG's bottom line seems to be the almighty $$ instead of doing what needs to be done to bring "Stanley" to the City of Angels. Thoughts?

Old
01-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

NHL rules prohibit the same person or company from owning multiple teams.

I heard AEG is just in it for the arena purposes.

Old
01-21-2006, 08:48 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
NHL rules prohibit the same person or company from owning multiple teams.

I heard AEG is just in it for the arena purposes.
Is there a chance that this relationship would not bode well for LA? I would think that Uncle Phil/Tim would want to ensure that the arena did well....

Old
01-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

AEG has also been rumored to be interested in buying the Savvis Center, where the Blues play.

Old
01-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Osprey

Any AEG involvement in non-profitable ventures might have a slight impact on the Kings. If you're losing money on something, your tendency may be to not throw money at your other ventures and vice-versa (if you're making money on something, you may be more frugal). I'd like AEG to make lots of money on their non-Kings investments so that they're more willing to open up the checkbook and potentially take a loss on the Kings.

Old
01-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Believe me, every single AEG owned property has its own set budget they stick with. Unless he was losing money hand over fist, I don't expect them to "trim the fat" with the Kings. They always seem to be in the upper half in the league in team payroll. I think they have managed well under the first year with the salary cap, unlike other teams (Pittsburgh and Boston most notably, the Devils didn't spend too wisely either).

Old
01-21-2006, 11:05 PM
ILuvLA

Does anyone wonder what would happen if DT went to AEG and said he wanted $$ to get us some help for the stretch run? I know that a few weeks ago it was in the papers that while we are under the NHL cap by a comfortable amount, it was reported that we are at the AEG budget amount. I just wonder (1) if DT would go to AEG to get the operating budget increased and/or if (2) AEG would be willing to increase the budget amount.....

Old
01-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
Does anyone wonder what would happen if DT went to AEG and said he wanted $$ to get us some help for the stretch run? I know that a few weeks ago it was in the papers that while we are under the NHL cap by a comfortable amount, it was reported that we are at the AEG budget amount. I just wonder (1) if DT would go to AEG to get the operating budget increased and/or if (2) AEG would be willing to increase the budget amount.....
I am starting to side with Osprey on this one. The operating budget will not be increased unless the Kings look to be in danger of finishing out of the playoffs. If they stay comfortably in the playoff picture then the only move(s) DT will probably be allowed to make will be minimal at best.

Old
01-21-2006, 11:14 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I am starting to side with Osprey on this one. The operating budget will not be increased unless the Kings look to be in danger of finishing out of the playoffs. If they stay comfortably in the playoff picture then the only move(s) DT will probably be allowed to make will be minimal at best.
Unfortunately, I think that you & Osprey are probably correct. AEG will keep status quo as long as possible. It would be nice to think that we had ownership that was moer concerned with getting the Cup rather than the bottom line. Don't get me wrong, I know how important the bottom line is, but....

Old
01-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Kings management should look at it this way. The further they get into the playoffs, and the more post-season games are played, more profits are made due to the increased ticket prices, parking, the sale of concessions, local and national TV revenue, etc. They also sell over the capacity of 18,118 (I believe they can reach 18,500).

I don't believe Taylor will stand pat and go with this current team into the playoffs. One (or two) additions will be made to the current roster, and I'm thinking it will be players with expiring contracts. Also don't forget the fact that a lot of current Kings players are on one-year deals and/or set to become unrestricted free agents.

Closed Thread