HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Marchant calls a truce"

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 03:08 PM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
"Marchant calls a truce"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...jim&id=1638978

interesting read. wonder if Lowe will accept this gracious olive branch

looks like there was more bad blood between kevin and todd then made it into the press. i for one was not crying too much when he did leave and sign that ridiculous contract in columbus. "union boy" was starting to act like his poopoo didnt smell.

(I especially remember the incident after someone leaked the Anson Carter trade to sportsnet before it was announced and before Anson heard about it. Someone forgot to tell Todd he wasnt an assistant GM according to his reaction, and its not too smart to critizise your teams management publicly)

Old
10-20-2003, 04:26 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Marchant wouldn't be half the player he is if the Oil didn't give him a chance years ago. His play was never anything more than average, and his bad mouthing of Lowe's trades didn't sit well with me. The way he talked about the above mentioned Carter trade made it sound like he had no intention of staying here for this season. He saw the points he was putting up and knew he would run to wherever the money was most plentiful. I find it hard to respect that at all.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:28 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanryann
Marchant wouldn't be half the player he is if the Oil didn't give him a chance years ago. His play was never anything more than average, and his bad mouthing of Lowe's trades didn't sit well with me. The way he talked about the above mentioned Carter trade made it sound like he had no intention of staying here for this season. He saw the points he was putting up and knew he would run to wherever the money was most plentiful. I find it hard to respect that at all.

Marchant clearly stated

"Whether (general manager) Kevin (Lowe) wants to believe me or not, I am certainly grateful to the Edmonton Oilers for what they've done for me," Marchant said recently. "Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I certainly wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for them."

so i don't know what your beef with him is about

Old
10-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Oi'll say!

At least we can gather that Lowe made a serious attempt at signing Todd from all this. It wouldn't have come to this if he had signed him to a better contract the previous season though.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:40 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Heart, Soul, Sparkplug, Experience. Oilers need Marchant more than they need Comrie.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:49 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
Heart, Soul, Sparkplug, Experience. Oilers need Marchant more than they need Comrie.
No, No, No, No, No.

Next..........

Old
10-20-2003, 04:51 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
HAHAHA joke of the day!!! good one

Old
10-20-2003, 04:53 PM
Oi'll say!

You guys make some good points, give yourselves a pat on the back.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Oilers Hockey

Who is this Hackey troll? A Flamer in disguise?

Old
10-20-2003, 05:05 PM
IceDragoon

breaking up is hard to do...

He's past the anger and on to 'it's all good'.

Marchant said recently.
"Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I certainly wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for them."

He's right and it's all good.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:17 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
I semi-agree with the first three but I much rather have Marchant then Comrie on my team just not at the price he signed for in Columbus.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Who is this Hackey troll? A Flamer in disguise?
I've seen him post on the Canucks board but that doesn't mean he's a Canucks fan. Hackey is a troll and should be ignored.

10-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Cawz

That didnt seem like a troll comment. I would rather have Marchant the way he played last year than Comrie the way he played last year. For the long run though, Comrie is obviously a ridiculisly better player.

On another note, Carter got his first point - an assist. It only took him 5 games too. Soon, he may have as many points as Cross.

Weird. Torres and Cross have more points than Dvorak and Isbister. The throw ins are getting more points than the main people that were traded for. Cool.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:41 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I semi-agree with the first three but I much rather have Marchant then Comrie on my team just not at the price he signed for in Columbus.
yeah, I feel the same way.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:47 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
That didnt seem like a troll comment. I would rather have Marchant the way he played last year than Comrie the way he played last year. For the long run though, Comrie is obviously a ridiculisly better player.

On another note, Carter got his first point - an assist. It only took him 5 games too. Soon, he may have as many points as Cross.

Weird. Torres and Cross have more points than Dvorak and Isbister. The throw ins are getting more points than the main people that were traded for. Cool.
You don't know him like we do.

As to: I would rather... On another note... Weird... Cool. Cool

Old
10-20-2003, 07:21 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz

im not sure we should be patting ourselves on the pack about the carter trade just yet... especially considering that dvorak only has one assist as well

Old
10-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
im not sure we should be patting ourselves on the pack about the carter trade just yet... especially considering that dvorak only has one assist as well
There's a difference. Dvorak missed a week of training camp and Carter didn't. Dvorak is +2 while prior to tonight's game, Carter was a -4.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:02 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
There's a difference. Dvorak missed a week of training camp and Carter didn't. Dvorak is +2 while prior to tonight's game, Carter was a -4.

watching that NYR/FLA game tonite, Carter looks noticably disinterested on the ice. even on the PP.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:26 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
watching that NYR/FLA game tonite, Carter looks noticably disinterested on the ice. even on the PP.
I watched it to but that is the best hes played since going there, the announcers even talked him up saying he was giving a good effort. I thought he was skating slow with only moderate jump but seemed ok positionally for the most part but he always was a streaky player.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:23 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Hey, without Todd, we wouldn't have been able to say that we beat Dallas in the playoffs.

He was a heart and soul player for the Oilers, and for that I appreciate all that he has done for the team. I forgive him (well, I wasn't mad at him in the first place anyways)...but it was classy of him to let Lowe know that he doesn't hold a grudge. It takes a true gentleman to do that.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:49 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Let's put it this way... Todd was going for full UFA right off the bat, I mean the second July 1st hit, he pulled a call to Slats and tried to get a 6 year 24 million dollar deal out of him.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:36 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Let's put it this way... Todd was going for full UFA right off the bat, I mean the second July 1st hit, he pulled a call to Slats and tried to get a 6 year 24 million dollar deal out of him.
Seems to me this is the same behavior, albeit from the opposite side, that Kevin Lowe is using with Mike Comrie. It's called leverage and everyone on this forum seems to think its great when applied to Comrie.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:40 AM
OYLer

I recall a couple of years ago when the Oilers were struggling and after a game where the whole team played badly, taking way to many penalties and Toddy was out on the PK killing off odd man situation all night long, Marchant drew undeserved criticism. After the game Marchant was singled out because late in the game he did the Flamingo leg raise so as not to take another shot on an already sore ankle. The game was well out of reach at that point and the Oilers' players were looking to get-in some physical payback, thus a parade to the penalty box and Todd being overworked on the PK. Marchant had uncharactistically lost a couple of defensive zone draws that had resulted in one freak deflection goal and a center had tip a puck by Todd and bulled to the net and scored another. All this occurred after the 'Oil' were well behind and being outplayed everywhere on the ice.

Admittedly this was not one of Marchant's better games although he had skated and worked doggedly all night long which was not the case for virtually all of his teammates. Plus his linesmates had just been traded away. Immediately after the game was over, both the GM and the Coaching staff unbelievably singled out Todd for postgame abuse.

Being the class act that he is, Todd took it on the chin, apologized to the club, his teammates, and the fans ... and to this day I'm not sure why or what he had to apologize for? Other players had played much worse that game and had been under-performing all year! Many long time fans spoke out, myself incuded, in Todd's defense but we all knew that that incident would come back to haunt the Copper & Blue.

To compound that 'incident' when Todd's contract came up for renewal the Oilers' Management lowballed him yet again, probably because they spent to much money signing Comrie and because of the Dopita pick-up and ultimate payout debacle. The Oilers' losing Marchant to free agency is perhaps K-lo's lowest moment as the Oilers GM. Mike ??? who ??? can't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Toddy Marchant whose 10 year career with the 'Oil' stands as one of the few and true highlights during a darker decade in Oilers' Hockey. Just one fans point of view.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:01 AM
OYLer

The ignorance and insulting nature of the post by ruffneck69 epitomizes the worst of negative posts on these boards. I think that post should be expunged and it's poster sent to the penalty box until personal growth has been realized. Childishness can be tolerated but not overtly offensive drivel! OH and ruffneck69 if the big words confuse you ask your mommy to explain them and their meanings and why you are offensive.

Old
10-21-2003, 10:21 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffneck69
dude i said jk, that means just kidding. im showing my hate for todd marchant. is that illegal? geez...
It's still offensive, and at the very least, RUDE.

If you wish to have meaningful dialogue with someone on this board, kindly show the respect that you would like to receive.

Closed Thread