HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL signs 16-year deal with Fanatics for replica jerseys, champion apparel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2016, 09:19 AM
  #1
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 24,667
vCash: 50
NHL signs 16-year deal with Fanatics for replica jerseys, champion apparel

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...ampion-apparel

Quote:
The NHL has signed a deal with Fanatics, the nation's largest online seller of licensed sports apparel, giving the company the exclusive right to make NHL fan-replica jerseys as well as all quick-turnaround products, including official Stanley Cup-champion locker room apparel.

How much Fanatics pays the league for the deal, which was signed Wednesday and will start next season, is unknown, but sources say the contract is for 16 years.

The relationship provides a window into the future of sports retail. A fan will now order a jersey on Fanatics or one of its affiliates, including the official online store of any of the major sports leagues. That jersey will then be made and shipped by the same company. The ability to make the apparel on the spot also means that wait times on popular player jerseys, most recently Toronto Maple Leafs rookie Auston Matthews, can be shorter.
__

A Fanatics logo will be on the bottom of the jerseys, while the Adidas logo, which will be on NHL on-ice jerseys starting next year, will not appear on the replica jerseys. The deal allows Adidas, whose new seven-year deal starts next season, to get the branding benefits on the jersey exterior on the players but not have to worry about making jerseys for fans -- which requires a significant infrastructure investment.
So if you want the adidas logo on your jersey you will have to pony up for an authentic.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 09:20 AM
  #2
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er
 
CoryForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...ampion-apparel



So if you want the adidas logo on your jersey you will have to pony up for an authentic.
This is BS.

Authentic sales will go through the roof, so good for them I guess.

CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 10:49 AM
  #3
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,425
vCash: 500
ya i don't think i love the sound of this. I like getting authentics normally anyway but kinda forced to now.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 10:54 AM
  #4
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 24,667
vCash: 50
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fanatic...medium=twitter



One thing I think we can take from all this: Adidas 3 stripes will NOT be on jerseys. Not going to have players wear something totally different in look than the replicas that are sold.

Also, I think this is what MLB was actually going with. From the sound of it, Fanatics wanted to make the jerseys but MLB thought Under Armour was a better on field brand. So i won't be surprised if in the end, the replicas are also Fanatics branded.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 10:58 AM
  #5
Inkling
Same Old Hockey
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,773
vCash: 500
NHL seems to love these super long deals. It's hard to imagine what the landscape of the industry will be in 16 years. It kind of hand cuffs them a bit.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 11:26 AM
  #6
JackFr
Registered User
 
JackFr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryForVezina View Post
This is BS.

Authentic sales will go through the roof, so good for them I guess.
No they won't. Counterfeit sales will go through the roof.

Having bad replicas that don't say Adidas on them for 40 bucks more than the current ones won't make people buy 360 dollar ones, it'll make them buy 30 dollar ones.


Last edited by JackFr: 10-26-2016 at 11:46 AM.
JackFr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 11:32 AM
  #7
tony d
Irish Spring Soap
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,480
vCash: 500
Interesting, Fanatics seems to be making a major play in sports merchandise, you go MLBShop.com and Fanatics is featured there.

__________________


Celebrating 10 yrs. at hfboards today. Thanks everyone for making the past decade so memorable. Here's to 10 more years.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 11:58 AM
  #8
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 24,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Interesting, Fanatics seems to be making a major play in sports merchandise, you go MLBShop.com and Fanatics is featured there.
They run all 4 major league store sites.

They also operate the NBA Store in NY.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:06 PM
  #9
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 32,236
vCash: 50
I seriously doubt many people will care if they have an Adidas or Fanatics logo on the bottom of their jersey.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:11 PM
  #10
FLYLine27*
BUCH
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 42,410
vCash: 500
How much will they cost with a players name on it?

FLYLine27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:14 PM
  #11
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
NHL seems to love these super long deals. It's hard to imagine what the landscape of the industry will be in 16 years. It kind of hand cuffs them a bit.
This is my thinking as well...seems super long. I wonder if they have an out-clause or something.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
  #12
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
No they won't. Counterfeit sales will go through the roof.

Having bad replicas that don't say Adidas on them for 40 bucks more than the current ones won't make people buy 360 dollar ones, it'll make them buy 30 dollar ones.
That is a good point actually. This fanatics thing is definitely gross if they are gonna plaster it on the front of the jersey.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:23 PM
  #13
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 10,718
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I seriously doubt many people will care if they have an Adidas or Fanatics logo on the bottom of their jersey.
That. Personally, I'd prefer having no logo at the neck, and if that requires a different logo patch on the waist, whatever. I remove those anyway.

In my ideal world, the only branding that would ever appear on a hockey jersey would be that of the team itself. As long as the jersey design and logos are accurate, exactly nobody but hardcore jersey collectors will give a flying ****, and most of those guys buy authentics already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
That is a good point actually. This fanatics thing is definitely gross if they are gonna plaster it on the front of the jersey.
Looked at a replica jersey recently? There's already a logo plastered on the front of the jersey.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:24 PM
  #14
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er
 
CoryForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
No they won't. Counterfeit sales will go through the roof.

Having bad replicas that don't say Adidas on them for 40 bucks more than the current ones won't make people buy 360 dollar ones, it'll make them buy 30 dollar ones.
Completely disagree.

The person that cares about the Fanatics vs Adidas logo is NOT the type of person that will buy a counterfeit jersey. Generally speaking of course.

CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:29 PM
  #15
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryForVezina View Post
Completely disagree.

The person that cares about the Fanatics vs Adidas logo is NOT the type of person that will buy a counterfeit jersey. Generally speaking of course.
I'm inclined to agree with you. The kind of person that will buy a counterfeit will likely always just buy a counterfeit because they either don't care how bad it looks or they are just too oblivious as to how bad it looks.

I personally buy the official replica jerseys and based on this news I'll either shell out money for an authentic (unlikely), buy a Reebok one this year or just won't buy one at all. I'd never buy a Leafs counterfeit and wear it to the game.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 12:56 PM
  #16
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 9,734
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Seems weird to me that they'd go with a deal more than twice as long as the one they have with their official jersey maker.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make the replica deal 7 years to end with the Adidas one?

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 02:05 PM
  #17
PuckinLaces
Registered User
 
PuckinLaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Taking a look at the pic, you definitely notice that the women's jersey is longer, trimmer, and has significantly shorter sleeves.

I'm guessing this is the first of many changes that we will see in the replicas vs. authentics

“The new replicas will look similar to the on-ice versions, however the changes/enhancements have more to do with the feel and wearability of the fan jersey. Designed with fan-first features that are intended for enhanced comfort and versatility."

Does that mean if making the Leafs crest on the front smaller than it should be because it's more 'wearable' then that's okay? What makes a jersey more 'comfortable and versatile'? Probably changes that take away from the authenticity.

I don't like this at all. I specifically did not buy a Reebok jersey this year expecting that next year's Adidas jersey will be worth waiting for.

In another article, it talks about them using a different stretchy material (think your jersey being made from Lululemon pants as opposed to a jersey mesh)




I haven't even seen that there are any 'authentic' jerseys available this year.

PuckinLaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 02:27 PM
  #18
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User
 
WinterEmpire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckinLaces View Post
Taking a look at the pic, you definitely notice that the women's jersey is longer, trimmer, and has significantly shorter sleeves.

I'm guessing this is the first of many changes that we will see in the replicas vs. authentics

“The new replicas will look similar to the on-ice versions, however the changes/enhancements have more to do with the feel and wearability of the fan jersey. Designed with fan-first features that are intended for enhanced comfort and versatility."

The women's replica in the picture is pretty much the same as the women's replica they make now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Seems weird to me that they'd go with a deal more than twice as long as the one they have with their official jersey maker.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make the replica deal 7 years to end with the Adidas one?
I agree, it seems really odd. It feels like this would really limit future Authentic jersey manufacturers because they would prefer the rights to Authentics+Replicas

WinterEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 02:44 PM
  #19
PuckinLaces
Registered User
 
PuckinLaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
The women's replica in the picture is pretty much the same as the women's replica they make now.
Yup pretty much the same...Except in the ways I specifically mentioned in that it's visibly longer and has significantly shorter sleeves?


PuckinLaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 05:55 PM
  #20
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 67,539
vCash: 500
With the new jerseys circa 2006, I stopped wanting replicas as they had a silk screened set of shoulder logos rather than embroidered (like the ones the players wear).

I don't "need" an authentic (or game worn), but won't buy silk screened logo jersey.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 05:57 PM
  #21
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,170
vCash: 500
I fall into the category of the person that'll probably jump to authentic. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a knockoff. I'd always by the premier jerseys Reebok produced and get them customized at Arena Wear which is where the Rangers get their on ice jerseys done. It was the most cost affordable option while wearing something similar to what's on the ice. I just can't bring myself to wear something produced by Fanatics with their branding on it when addidas is the one making the jerseys.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=53946&type=sigpic&dateline=1320361610
NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 08:29 PM
  #22
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 24,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Seems weird to me that they'd go with a deal more than twice as long as the one they have with their official jersey maker.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make the replica deal 7 years to end with the Adidas one?
No, this way they have a guaranteed new revenue stream for longer.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 08:36 PM
  #23
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
That. Personally, I'd prefer having no logo at the neck, and if that requires a different logo patch on the waist, whatever. I remove those anyway.

In my ideal world, the only branding that would ever appear on a hockey jersey would be that of the team itself. As long as the jersey design and logos are accurate, exactly nobody but hardcore jersey collectors will give a flying ****, and most of those guys buy authentics already.



Looked at a replica jersey recently? There's already a logo plastered on the front of the jersey.
I have and I don't see some other company's logo on it. But tell me this again when theres like a Walmart logo on it, cause that's the same and stuff.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 09:16 PM
  #24
beepeearr
@beepeearr
 
beepeearr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lake Worth
Country: United States
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to beepeearr Send a message via Skype™ to beepeearr
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryForVezina View Post
This is BS.

Authentic sales will go through the roof, so good for them I guess.
it might be very difficult to get it lettered, apparently Adidas is very stingy with their lettering material, just enough to make the teams jerseys and thats it. At least with the basketball jerseys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I fall into the category of the person that'll probably jump to authentic. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a knockoff. I'd always by the premier jerseys Reebok produced and get them customized at Arena Wear which is where the Rangers get their on ice jerseys done. It was the most cost affordable option while wearing something similar to what's on the ice. I just can't bring myself to wear something produced by Fanatics with their branding on it when addidas is the one making the jerseys.
I talked with my letterer last month, his concern moving forward was that Adidas might do the same with the NHL lettering they are doing with the NBA. They only send enough lettering to do the teams jerseys, and you cant get the same material anywhere else.


Last edited by beepeearr: 10-27-2016 at 07:53 AM.
beepeearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2016, 10:46 PM
  #25
danielpalfredsson
dorion is an ok gm
 
danielpalfredsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
No they won't. Counterfeit sales will go through the roof.

Having bad replicas that don't say Adidas on them for 40 bucks more than the current ones won't make people buy 360 dollar ones, it'll make them buy 30 dollar ones.
Reebok already tried this strategy when introducing the Premier jerseys but failed miserably. Reebok felt that the CCM replicas pre-Edge were TOO GOOD and too close to the authentic models. The original plan for the Premiers was for them to not have actual crests on them and just use that junky thin vinyl like material for the main crest that is used for the smaller shoulder crests. (If you don't know what I am talking about and own a a Premier, compare the shoulder crests to the main one on the chest and you'll see what I mean).

The funny part about this is that they failed to ensure authentic jerseys were distributed properly. Up until recently, authentic jerseys were very hard to find. Jersey Baron on eBay was the only one able to get a lot of stuff. It has gotten better recently, but you still can't just go to jersey retailers and buy any of the (roughly) 90 designs in the league in an authentic model. They will usually carry a handful of popular teams, and usually just home jerseys, sometimes thirds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
This is my thinking as well...seems super long. I wonder if they have an out-clause or something.
I would guess that the reason that the contract is so long is that Fanatics will have to invest a ton of time and money in establishing the new infrastructure for these jerseys. So the commitment by the NHL probably has to be long enough for them to see a return on their initial investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckinLaces View Post
In another article, it talks about them using a different stretchy material (think your jersey being made from Lululemon pants as opposed to a jersey mesh)
If I had to guess, I would say this is the same material that was used on the Adidas WCOH replicas. I've only seen them when passing through a sports store as I don't own any, but the material was different than regular Premiers and wasn't a stock Reebok/CCM material like air knit. If I had to bet, I would say the material/cut on mens jerseys will be the same as the WCOH replicas.


Last edited by danielpalfredsson: 10-26-2016 at 10:56 PM.
danielpalfredsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.