HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL signs 16-year deal with Fanatics for replica jerseys, champion apparel

Old
10-27-2016, 08:11 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I fall into the category of the person that'll probably jump to authentic. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a knockoff. I'd always by the premier jerseys Reebok produced and get them customized at Arena Wear which is where the Rangers get their on ice jerseys done. It was the most cost affordable option while wearing something similar to what's on the ice. I just can't bring myself to wear something produced by Fanatics with their branding on it when addidas is the one making the jerseys.
If you are patient, you can find a good knock-off. Much harder with hockey jerseys than football to do so, but it can be done. My thing with knock-offs, is it is not my fault these companies overpay for the license and it is not my job to help them make their money back. It is my job to keep as much money in my account as possible. However, lately I have been more likely to buy a t-shirt/polo than a jersey and that is what I usually wear to games.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 11:22 AM
HopsHunting

This is horrible news. I guess I won't be buying jerseys for a bit... a long bit. I want my jersey to look as close to what is on the ice as possible.

HopsHunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Neil Hamburger
Five Bagger!

vCash: 386
Knock offs have always been the way to go.

If you get a decent knock off, it's basically indiscernible from a legit jersey to all but the most hard core fans.

Paying hundreds of dollars for a shirt most people only wear when they go to a game seems weird to me. As a Leaf fan, even if it was a much smaller price difference (say $25 instead of $150 or more) I would get a knock off over a legit jersey - Rogers & Bell have screwed me enough.

Neil Hamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 11:43 AM
PuckinLaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Hamburger View Post

If you get a decent knock off, it's basically indiscernible from a legit jersey to all but the most hard core fans.

Paying hundreds of dollars for a shirt most people only wear when they go to a game seems weird to me. As a Leaf fan, even if it was a much smaller price difference (say $25 instead of $150 or more) I would get a knock off over a legit jersey - Rogers & Bell have screwed me enough.
I'll accept that if you can post one legit source that sells a 'decent knock off' that is 'indiscernible from a legit jersey' -- because all I've ever seen are hilariously obvious fakes.

PuckinLaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 11:53 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

When you are at a game, it is pretty easy to differentiate between the knock-offs and the legit stuff. Numbers and letters are usually slightly off, as is the color.

Old
10-27-2016, 01:07 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Every Hawks fake ever made looks terrible. These places can't get the shape of the head, the shade of tan, or the thickness of the shoulder patches anything near what they should look like.

And that's for a plain jersey, don't get me started on lettering and numbering.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 02:18 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
NHL seems to love these super long deals. It's hard to imagine what the landscape of the industry will be in 16 years. It kind of hand cuffs them a bit.
Bettman working hard to cripple the league financially for years to come after he steps down.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 05:51 PM
HopsHunting

Quote:

I couldn't disagree with you more. I'd love to see where you are buying your knock offs. I can tell from a pretty good distance if a jersey is legit or not.

HopsHunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 10:16 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Yeah, I can easily spot every knockoff at Ranger games and even friends I go with that are casual fans spot them. Sometimes you do see some that came out pretty decent but even those you're able to figure out after you look at it for a few seconds.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 11:43 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
So does anyone else remember when on ice jerseys were made by Reebok and all the replicas were made by CCM and absolutely no one cared?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 01:02 AM
Shmuffalo
O'Reilly's Getaway

Quote:
NHL seems to love these super long deals. It's hard to imagine what the landscape of the industry will be in 16 years. It kind of hand cuffs them a bit.
It's ironic that the NHL loves the super long contracts, while the cruxt of the the 2012 lockout was the super long nonsense contracts that circumvented the CBA.

Anyways, until I see the quality of these warlocks, I'll somewhat withhold judgment. But, I'm not fond of this.

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 08:50 AM
bigred50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

These stupid "jock tags." When in the world will they get rid of these things?

Can anyone provide some insight into why they even have them? They look ridiculous.

Do people really write their name and number on the tag!?

bigred50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 09:23 AM
FuriousSenator

Another round of boring jerseys made with boring templates all the same for every team.

Here's an idea: let each team make it's own merchandising deal with whatever company it wants.

More revenue directly to the team's that sell the most merch, but most importantly, more incentive/freedom to create unique, complex, and interesting jerseys and other apparel that fit the team identify itself perfectly.

Ever since the NHL went to single maker, all the jerseys have kinda slid together into a big 'one size fits all' model where some teams just look the same pretty much (tampa, toronto and detroit, ottawa and pittsburgh etc...). Like seriously, the Pens and the Sens had literally the same away jersey (with swapped logo and colours) for years and years (not sure if still the same). So dull.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 09:27 AM
usahockey22flyers
Daje Roma!

Hockey jerseys are too expensive to begin with, here's to hoping the price wont go up.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 10:29 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousSenator View Post

More revenue directly to the team's that sell the most merch,
Most importantly, that is exactly what the league does NOT want.

Old
10-28-2016, 11:41 AM
Beauner

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
So does anyone else remember when on ice jerseys were made by Reebok and all the replicas were made by CCM and absolutely no one cared?
That was for 2 years, 05-06 and 06-07 while Reebok was transitioning to their hockey business. Also those replicas were great quality with authentic lettering and air-knit material. But not only is Fanatics branding the replicas, they said they're going to be using different materials and it seems like they're generally going to make replicas act more as a fashion choice instead of an actual hockey jersey.

The gap between Authentics and Replicas is already huge but I fear if you want anything resembling an actual hockey jeresy, you'll have to get an authentic.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 12:10 PM
syc

Quote:
NHL knows they won't see much more growth, arenas are all filled and TV is not gaining any viewership. They really have tapped out revenue, next is jersey ads.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 02:38 PM
TheTotalPackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Isn't there a difference though considering CCM previously had been the manufacturer of NHL jerseys?

TheTotalPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Jonas1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
NHL knows they won't see much more growth, arenas are all filled and TV is not gaining any viewership. They really have tapped out revenue, next is jersey ads.
maxed out in the USA maybe. Canadian tv ratings will be unreal when the Leafs, Habs and Oilers are contenders.

Europe is untapped largely and Asia is COMPLETELY untapped. Hell even Australia could be an option.

NFL is what is maxed out.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 03:17 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Horrible deal for fans

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 03:50 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:

Oh noooo dude. No way in hell haha

If you walk into an arena with a fake jersey, everyone knows. Everyone. I promise you. Might take a moment, but as soon as they focus on you it's over.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Rocko604
Playoffs?

Meh. My Reebok replica is still in great shape.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 12:04 PM
JustAShadow

Don't Buy This Fanatics Branded Junk!

I just received a Fanatics branded tshirt from NHL com today. $27.95 US plus taxes and shipping. It was an utter piece of garbage. It's a very thin screen on a dollar store quality tshirt like you might have gotten at some tourist trap custom tshirt place in the '80's. You know the type of screening that starts to peel off after one wash. The cheapo screening wasn't even finished properly with a single color white screening smudged and gray right across the middle of the screening. The tshirt is super thin and has flimsy stitching on its seams. I'm definitely returning this. The NHL is now selling poor quality merchandise. Very sad.

JustAShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 12:13 PM
PuckinLaces

I am tempted to buy this year's jersey, but because the new Adidas deal kicks in next year I have to believe that the jerseys will change (at least a little bit) so it would really suck to spend any money and by September the jersey already looks outdated.

As much as I wanted a MATTHEWS 34, I might just stick with my KADRI 43 Alternate Jersey - which I still believe is the best looking (and best quality) Leafs jersey ever created

PuckinLaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 11:21 PM
Jackets Woodchuck

Does this mean that replicas will not be available at brick and mortar team shops and sporting goods stores?

Jackets Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote