HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL signs 16-year deal with Fanatics for replica jerseys, champion apparel

Old
11-01-2016, 06:58 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Nope. They should be stocking them.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 10:45 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

This news seems awful to me. I mean I rarely collect jerseys anymore but I could see this being that final nail in the coffin. I dealt with the downgrade from CCM replicas to RBK replicas, but having the cheesy fanatics tag (I dont like the RBK replica tag either but for some reason this comes off as even worse to me) to using an almost completely different material? That's crazy.

Like I said, I rarely get jerseys anymore so I suppose it's not a huge deal to me personally, but I feel bad for other people. I have a few authentiques and a lot of older replicas, so if I go to games I will just have to sport those.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Goldenshark

Yeah, this stinks. The articles linked by the OP don't officially confirm the length of the deal at 16 years, but if it's true, that's just horrible. A lot can change in 16 years, doesn't anybody in the NHL remember the length of the crappy Sharks TV deal that they're still stuck with today?

I was initially against the Reebok replicas because of the silk screened shoulder patches, but I grew to tolerate them because I liked the necklines and tighter feel of them. I don't want any jersey with Fanatics on it when the authentics are made by Addidas. And Fanatics will be on a jock tag and the back of the neck, yeah no thanks. And I'll never buy or wear a Chinese knock-off.

My oldest jersey in my collection is an Owen Nolan Sharks jersey that's 17 years old and I can barely fit in it. That means if I buy a new jersey this year that's about how old it will be before Fanatics is gone and a new replica brand is chosen if the length of the deal is true. Just unreal.

Goldenshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 12:42 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenshark View Post
Yeah, this stinks. The articles linked by the OP don't officially confirm the length of the deal at 16 years, but if it's true, that's just horrible. A lot can change in 16 years, doesn't anybody in the NHL remember the length of the crappy Sharks TV deal that they're still stuck with today?

I was initially against the Reebok replicas because of the silk screened shoulder patches, but I grew to tolerate them because I liked the necklines and tighter feel of them. I don't want any jersey with Fanatics on it when the authentics are made by Addidas. And Fanatics will be on a jock tag and the back of the neck, yeah no thanks. And I'll never buy or wear a Chinese knock-off.

My oldest jersey in my collection is an Owen Nolan Sharks jersey that's 17 years old and I can barely fit in it. That means if I buy a new jersey this year that's about how old it will be before Fanatics is gone and a new replica brand is chosen if the length of the deal is true. Just unreal.
If I was a Sharks fan after this deal I would find an old style Sharks jersey on eBay or from someone who sells the CCM heritages, buy it and send it in to get Irbe on the back and wear that sucker for life to any games you go to!

I have my Tugnutt and my Anderson, that's what I will probably do from now on.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 01:27 AM
danielpalfredsson
dorion is an ok gm

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckinLaces View Post
I am tempted to buy this year's jersey, but because the new Adidas deal kicks in next year I have to believe that the jerseys will change (at least a little bit) so it would really suck to spend any money and by September the jersey already looks outdated.

As much as I wanted a MATTHEWS 34, I might just stick with my KADRI 43 Alternate Jersey - which I still believe is the best looking (and best quality) Leafs jersey ever created

I would wait until next year to buy any Reebok Premiers. Especially a popular team like Toronto, they'll all be liquidated at half price.

danielpalfredsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 01:36 AM
danielpalfredsson
dorion is an ok gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
If you are patient, you can find a good knock-off. Much harder with hockey jerseys than football to do so, but it can be done. My thing with knock-offs, is it is not my fault these companies overpay for the license and it is not my job to help them make their money back. It is my job to keep as much money in my account as possible. However, lately I have been more likely to buy a t-shirt/polo than a jersey and that is what I usually wear to games.
Aside from a few very expensive knockoffs aimed at the collectors market on eBay (Burger King/Wild Wing) that sell for the same price as a legit jersey, Ive never seen a good knock off. It has nothing to do with patience. The only reason people can't "spot" knockoffs is that they have no frame of reference for what a legit jersey should look like. That is why knockoffs stick out so much at games, because they are side by side with legit jerseys.

A better option than a knock off is buying an older CCM air knit replica, which for most teams can be found for nothing, or buying a liquidated jersey from a place like Full Moon Jerseys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Hockey jerseys are too expensive to begin with, here's to hoping the price wont go up.
Prices will keep going up because it is impossible for a company to pay for the license and compete with knockoff factories whose only incentive is to use the cheapest materials possible to keep cowt down and doesn't have to pay for marketing or licensing of the products. Look at it this way, knock off factories have significantly less overhead and still charge 50 per jersey if you aren't buying wholesale amounts.

There are two options for Fanatics. Make a jersey as cheap as possible and hope to sell more of them, or make it as expensive as possible and sell less overall but aim to make a greater sum of money because each unit brings in more profit. People who buy knockoffs are only concerned with price and won't change to legit jerseys unless the price is very close. They can't compete with that so they'll raise the price on as high as possible and try to get the most possible out of people who buy legit jerseys who obviously for one reason or another aren't interested in knockoffs.

With that said, the idea that jerseys are expensive is a bit of a misconception. They are expensive at retail, but there are loads of cheap liquidated jerseys out there. For collectors, eBay and classified sites are a total buyers market. It is pretty easy to find jerseys in the 25-50 cad range on eBay. When a plain hoodie costs 15-20 bucks at Wal-Mart these days, I wouldnt exactly call 30 for a solid CCM replica all that expensive.

Last edited by danielpalfredsson: 11-02-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old
11-03-2016, 07:48 PM
blues10

I fully understand the reasoning of fanatics entering the fold is more money for the NHL.

Addidas has no problems keeping up with the manufacture of its football "soccer" lines which change on a yearly basis. I can just see football fans snapping up fanatics brand Barcelona, Arsenal and Chelsea shirts.

http://www.soccer.com/guide/authenti...he-difference/

Addidas has an extensive range of football apparel.

http://www.adidas.ca/en/men-soccer-clothing

To me it seems like the Addidas deal is more of way to advertise Addidas on the jersey without the league outright admitting that they have jersey advertising. Addidas clearly has the ability to manufacture NHL replica jerseys. I will speculate that Addidas bid low for the replica contract as I doubt the NHL sells as many replica jerseys as Addidas sells Chelsea shirts alone.

Good for the league to generate more revenue by splitting the authentics from the replica brand but I for one have no interest in shelling out for a "fanatics" brand jersey that tagging looks nothing like what is worn on the ice.

I guess I'll have to shell out for an authentic and buy right into what the NHL is selling.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2016, 04:02 AM
Goldenshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I fully understand the reasoning of fanatics entering the fold is more money for the NHL.

Addidas has no problems keeping up with the manufacture of its football "soccer" lines which change on a yearly basis. I can just see football fans snapping up fanatics brand Barcelona, Arsenal and Chelsea shirts.

Addidas has an extensive range of football apparel.

To me it seems like the Addidas deal is more of way to advertise Addidas on the jersey without the league outright admitting that they have jersey advertising. Addidas clearly has the ability to manufacture NHL replica jerseys. I will speculate that Addidas bid low for the replica contract as I doubt the NHL sells as many replica jerseys as Addidas sells Chelsea shirts alone.

Good for the league to generate more revenue by splitting the authentics from the replica brand but I for one have no interest in shelling out for a "fanatics" brand jersey that tagging looks nothing like what is worn on the ice.

I guess I'll have to shell out for an authentic and buy right into what the NHL is selling.
Well Adidas should be making the NHL replicas because they won't be making Chelsea jerseys next season. Chelsea signed a new deal with Nike that starts next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
If I was a Sharks fan after this deal I would find an old style Sharks jersey on eBay or from someone who sells the CCM heritages, buy it and send it in to get Irbe on the back and wear that sucker for life to any games you go to!

I have my Tugnutt and my Anderson, that's what I will probably do from now on.
Reebok made Sharks 25th anniversary heritage jerseys last year which were updated versions of the Sharks 1991 sweaters and are awesome. I have one of those and will be wearing that for life, there's no way I'm going to spend $300 for an authentic jersey when I only wear these jerseys to hockey games and nowhere else.

I have seen Vintage CCM replicas of the 1991 Sharks sweaters for sale from time to time at Ice Jerseys and they will letter it any way you want. So an Irbe jersey can be done when they have them in stock.

Goldenshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2016, 09:24 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 351
Welp. Looks like I'll just stick with my CCM 550 replicas.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2016, 09:57 AM
zetastrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Welp. Looks like I'll just stick with my CCM 550 replicas.
I've grown to love reebok premiers because I despise the way CCM 550 replicas fit. It's the sleeves that drive me nuts. You raise your arm 90 degrees and you look like a flying squirrel. Premiers remind me of what jerseys looked like in the 70s with the tighter fit. They also feel warmer on cold days. I can get away just wearing a white t shirt under one until the end of November usually. If fanatics keeps the cut the same as they are now and don't screw up the crests and/or material, I'll keep buying.

zetastrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Beauner

vCash: 91
I'm curious what Adidas will do with the Authentics...will they have some kind of Indo-Edge equivalent? Or will the retail authentics be the same as team issued jerseys?

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2016, 05:57 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
I've grown to love reebok premiers because I despise the way CCM 550 replicas fit. It's the sleeves that drive me nuts. You raise your arm 90 degrees and you look like a flying squirrel. Premiers remind me of what jerseys looked like in the 70s with the tighter fit. They also feel warmer on cold days. I can get away just wearing a white t shirt under one until the end of November usually. If fanatics keeps the cut the same as they are now and don't screw up the crests and/or material, I'll keep buying.
Personally I hate the snug fit of the RBK Premiers and their stupidly long wizard sleeves.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2016, 02:33 PM
doug88

vCash: 365
Geez! We have to deal with ads all over our jerseys in Switzerland (aside from Lausanne) yet you manage to complain about the name of the brand at the bottom of your jerseys. Just buy the authentic ones and be happy with what you have!

doug88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Voight
The World Is Yours

vCash: 520
Fanatics is making a killing, deals with the big 4 & NASCAR.

Voight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 12:41 AM
PlamsUnlimited
The Juice is Loose

vCash: 919
Horrible. Will look silly... I guess stick to getting Authentics only and mass purchase when these come out and Adidas too, and also stocking up on my SK, Starter, Bauer, etc.

PlamsUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 12:19 PM
danielpalfredsson
dorion is an ok gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
If you get a chance to see an Adidas WCOH replica, I would guess that is what the Fanatics jerseys will look like because the description in the article fits the changes seen from Reebok Premiers to Adidas WCOH Premiers. I am guessing the Fanatics jerseys will be the same, just without Adidas branding.

The jerseys and the crest are both paper thin compared to regular Reebok Premiers. The material on the main panel is different, and doesn't look like it will attract as much piling and snags as Premiers do. The shoulder crests are the same vinyl type screen printed material that the Premiers used. The material is thin enough that you can see through it almost completely if you put it up to the light. Not in the same way that air knit/mesh has wholes. It is just a really thin material.

Slim fitting jerseys are a step in the right direction because that's what is in style, so they got that right with Reebok Premiers, at the same time the dress shirt cut has always looked strange on a hockey jersey. I think where they are going so wrong is by making the jersey paper thin. When people drop $200 bucks for a jersey, they want to feel like they have something substantial and well constructed.

Old
11-13-2016, 01:34 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I seriously doubt many people will care if they have an Adidas or Fanatics logo on the bottom of their jersey.
Agreed. I usually get the knockoffs anyways.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2016, 09:21 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Wow...Under Armour to have their logo on the FRONT on MLB jerseys from 2020.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rseys-iwc46fot

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 03:16 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Well look at that - The NBA is going the same route.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/buying-a...ive-1484564581

So Fanatics will now make NHL, NBA, and Major League Baseball (come 2020) replicas.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 01-16-2017 at 03:32 PM.
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 11:22 PM
danielpalfredsson
dorion is an ok gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
I'm curious what Adidas will do with the Authentics...will they have some kind of Indo-Edge equivalent? Or will the retail authentics be the same as team issued jerseys?
For some reason, Canadian made authentic jerseys aren't "allowed" to be distributed to US sellers. That is apparently the reason for Indo-Edges when Edge 2.0s are available in Canada.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember people on the Icejerseys forum talking about how Adidas wouldn't ship the authentic jerseys to the states and they were only available on Adidas Canadian site. This doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to buy them from Jersey Baron or somewhere like Icejerseys or Coolhockey. But I think the odds of easily available retail authentics in being around in the states might be low.

Old
01-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Beauner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalfredsson View Post
For some reason, Canadian made authentic jerseys aren't "allowed" to be distributed to US sellers. That is apparently the reason for Indo-Edges when Edge 2.0s are available in Canada.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember people on the Icejerseys forum talking about how Adidas wouldn't ship the authentic jerseys to the states and they were only available on Adidas Canadian site. This doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to buy them from Jersey Baron or somewhere like Icejerseys or Coolhockey. But I think the odds of easily available retail authentics in being around in the states might be low.
I actually never knew that you could just get a retail 2.0 in Canada. Interesting.

Also, that sounds awful. So great.

Old
01-17-2017, 12:45 AM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

I'm curious as to whether this will affect the price of replicas. Off hand, I can see jerseys made by a different company from the authenics with the possibility of appearing differently being noticeably cheaper than they currently are. Dunno, just a pipe dream?

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2017, 01:55 PM
danielpalfredsson
dorion is an ok gm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauner View Post
I actually never knew that you could just get a retail 2.0 in Canada. Interesting.

Also, that sounds awful. So great.
You can get 2.0s at retail, but not many places stock them because they are hard to sell. I know Pro Hockey Life stocked Senators 2.0s locally as recently as last December. The Sens team store used to have 2.0s that weren't just team stock. Then online jersey stores located in Canada usually have them.

I could be wrong, but that's what I heard. That places in the US cannot order Canadian made Edge jerseys, only Indo Edge jerseys. I don't know why. But aside from saving money, maybe that explains why CCM moved replica production from Quebec to Indonesia 10+ years ago or whenever.

Old
01-18-2017, 02:14 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by End on a Hinote View Post
I'm curious as to whether this will affect the price of replicas. Off hand, I can see jerseys made by a different company from the authenics with the possibility of appearing differently being noticeably cheaper than they currently are. Dunno, just a pipe dream?
I certainly hope they'll be cheaper, because there will certainly be less demand for something that *looks* cheaper.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Beauner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalfredsson View Post
You can get 2.0s at retail, but not many places stock them because they are hard to sell. I know Pro Hockey Life stocked Senators 2.0s locally as recently as last December. The Sens team store used to have 2.0s that weren't just team stock. Then online jersey stores located in Canada usually have them.

I could be wrong, but that's what I heard. That places in the US cannot order Canadian made Edge jerseys, only Indo Edge jerseys. I don't know why. But aside from saving money, maybe that explains why CCM moved replica production from Quebec to Indonesia 10+ years ago or whenever.
Yeah every place I've been in Pittsburgh has sold indo-edges, except House O' Hockey which letters the Penguins game jerseys. Pretty sure he gets 2.0s from the team. Only other place I've seen them is online.

So if Adidas doesn't have some kind of indo-edge getting an authentic might be a pain in the ass.