HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Game Day Thread - NJD @ NYR

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Nich

vCash: 500
Official Game Day Thread - NJD @ NYR

@
New Jersey Devils (25-18-5) at New York Rangers (27-14-7)
TIME: Sunday, 7 p.m. EST.

PREVIEW:
After a slow start, the surging Devils pursue their 10th straight win as they head to Madison Square Garden to play the New York Rangers .

Only one winning streak in New Jersey's history has run longer - a 13-game run from Feb. 26-March 23, 2001.

The Devils struggled at the start of the current season, losing nine of their first 15 games and goaltender Martin Brodeur , the 2003-04 Vezina Trophy winner, had a 3.61 goals-against average in the Devils' 6-7-2 start

He has a 2.41 GAA en route to a 19-9-3 record since then.

Brodeur has been in goal for all nine games of the winning streak, recording three shutouts and a stellar 1.73 GAA as New Jersey has yet to lose in 2006.

Patrik Elias has been a key contributor, contributing four goals and nine assists in eight games since returning from an extended bout with Hepatitis A.

Petr Sykora , acquired from the Anaheim Mighty Ducks on Jan. 8, led the Rangers to a 3-2 shootout win Saturday over the Boston Bruins . He scored a goal in regulation - his third in six games since the trade - before delivering the game-winner in the sixth round of the shootout.

Sykora's goal was only New York's second of the shootout. Rookie goaltender Henrik Lundqvist then stopped Boston's Brad Isbister on the final attempt and saved five of six shots.

Lundqvist has allowed only five goals in 28 shootout attempts. Among NHL goaltenders who have faced at least 10 attempts, Lundqvist's .821 save percentage trails only Brodeur's .870 mark.

STANDINGS:

Devils - 55 points, 3rd place, 11 PB, Atlantic Division.
Rangers - 61 points, 2nd place, 5 PB, Atlantic Division.

TEAM LEADERS:
Devils - Brian Gionta , 28 goals and 49 points; Scott Gomez , 27 assists; Colin White , 51 PIM.
Rangers - Jaromir Jagr , 29 goals, 41 assists and 70 points; Michal Rozsival , 56 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS:
Devils - Power play: 17.5 percent (49 for 280), 15th in NHL. Penalty killing: 81.8 percent (178 for 218), 18th.
Rangers - Power play: 15.6 percent (42 for 269), 22nd. Penalty killing: 84.4 percent (249 for 295), 8th.

GOALTENDERS:
Devils - Brodeur (23-14-3, 3 SO, 2.67 GAA); Scott Clemmensen (2-4-2, 0, 3.83).
Rangers - Lundqvist (19-6-5, 2, 2.17); Kevin Weekes (8-8-2, 0, 3.11).

SEASON SERIES:

Rangers, 3-2.

LAST MEETING:
Dec. 20; Devils, 3-1. At New York, Gionta and Alexander Mogilny scored 16 seconds apart with a little more than five minutes remaining to get the Devils on the board.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS:
Devils - 10-11-2 on the road.
Rangers - 14-5-4 at home.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...6_preview.html

Last edited by Nich: 01-22-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old
01-22-2006, 07:35 AM
Nich

i love how you sticky it without me asking

big game tonight boys....4-2 Rangers

Prucha - 1g-1a
Sykora - 1g-2a
Rucchin - 1g
Jagr - 1g(pp)

Old
01-22-2006, 07:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

A little persepective is needed here.I love reading and hearing how the Rangers should be in a panic over the Devils being six points behind them.The Rangers currently sit 5th in the conference but more importantly have a 10 point lead on 9th place Toronto

Nice move by the NHL to schedule a Rangers-Devils game against the NFC championship game

Old
01-22-2006, 08:11 AM
psycho_dad

Will Lundqvist start back to back games now? He was just resting because he was feeling tired so will he rest some more?

Old
01-22-2006, 08:17 AM
shoothepuck

Jagr needs to show up and lead this team to stopping the Devils in their tracks. NY will need better shots on goal to beat Marty, and they need to get the pp going today. Hope Hollweg is in as NY needs to bang in this one.

Old
01-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Shadowtron

I just don't see how we're going to beat them. The Devils are going for their 10th straight win, playing the type of hockey that has given them an absurd record against us over the last few seasons. Yeah, we beat them a few times this season, but that Devils team hasn't show it's face since the turn of the year. The Devils are facing a team that is dreadful on the speacialty teams and nearly non-existent first line, a "C student" team that does just enough to get by. If they play even remotely like they did against BJ/Pens/Bruins, we're in for a pretty miserable game. I know staunch loyalists will declare me a Pessimist and slap my hand, but it's just how I see it. The Rangers can't play against THIS Devils team the way they have against bottom feeders like the Pens and expect anything less than a 6 pt. lead to shrink to a 4 pt. lead.

Old
01-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
I just don't see how we're going to beat them. The Devils are going for their 10th straight win, playing the type of hockey that has given them an absurd record against us over the last few seasons. Yeah, we beat them a few times this season, but that Devils team hasn't show it's face since the turn of the year. The Devils are facing a team that is dreadful on the speacialty teams and nearly non-existent first line, a "C student" team that does just enough to get by. If they play even remotely like they did against BJ/Pens/Bruins, we're in for a pretty miserable game.I
I'm going to be the starry-eyed idealist here and say that this game is the type that gives the Rangers the chance to turn the last seven seasons on their head. How many times during that stretch would the Devils or Flyers be in a funk, only to use a game against us to get a win and send themselves on a hot streak. This game is a chance to end a long Devils win streak and win or lose, I relish the opportunity!

Old
01-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I just don't see how we're going to beat them.
It's one of the games that the team should be able to get up for on the rivarly alone, and I think they can.

Definitely worried about goaltending. Seems to me like starting Weekes yesterday would have been a good idea to keep him away from (a)the home crowd and (b) the hottest team in hockey. Even if Lundqvist does play, is he going to be sharp enough with 21 hours rest?

Old
01-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Ola

How many times have we played NJD this season? IMO we have been the better team every game, don't know why that should have changed now... All games are tough in the NHL and this will be no way other. But I see no reason for us to "expect" a loss tonight...

Old
01-22-2006, 09:37 AM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
I think Weekes is going to start tonight, although I want Hank to. Im really looking forward to this game tonight. If we win we take 4th place in the conference and can widen the gap on Tuesday when we play Buffalo at the Garden.

As for the NFC championship...I could care less. Ill watch the AFC championship before and get bored of football before I am able to watch the NFC championship.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-22-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old
01-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Phil333

Such a huge game tonight. The Devils are the hottest team in the league since the new year and it would be amazing if we could hand them their first loss of 2006. You have to play Lundy here, give him the night off against Buffalo, then if plays against Pitt he would have had a 5 day rest.

Old
01-22-2006, 09:42 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I just don't see how we're going to beat them.
It's ok to be concerned, but dont give up yet. If the Rangers had a 9 game winning streak and they were playing the Devils we'd be saying "the rangers gotta lose sometime".

Devils are playing extremely well, but have shown a little weakness in the 3rd period over the last 3 games. Maybe Jagr and the first line has a coming out party tonight after being on an extended holiday?

The Rangers formula for winning has been keep it close till the 3rd then make something happen. I can't remember the last time I was comfortable during a Ranger game in the first or second periods.

Old
01-22-2006, 09:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
6 pt. lead to shrink to a 4 pt. lead.
for 5th place in the east

The top eight teams make the playoffs

10 point lead over Toronto and 13 points over Montreal who sit 9th and 10th respectively in the east

Toronto and Montreal were trashed on HNIC last night

As Bob Cole said in the third period when Ottawa was up 7-0,"The Leafs need a touchdown to tie the game"

Old
01-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
Jagr needs to show up and lead this team to stopping the Devils in their tracks. NY will need better shots on goal to beat Marty, and they need to get the pp going today. Hope Hollweg is in as NY needs to bang in this one.
Jagr pulled his little finger on left hand again on 28th December against Islanders(stated in czech press). He wears again special lath to fix the finger, but dunno if this is only reason why he is cold in few past games or it's that he is out of shape completely

Old
01-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
How many times have we played NJD this season? IMO we have been the better team every game, don't know why that should have changed now... All games are tough in the NHL and this will be no way other. But I see no reason for us to "expect" a loss tonight...
Major change is that Elias is back-and Marty is rock solid now.
Pretty enough for NJD win.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:03 AM
True Blue

Quote:
IThe Rangers can't play against THIS Devils team the way they have against bottom feeders like the Pens and expect anything less than a 6 pt. lead to shrink to a 4 pt. lead.
I agree. Yes, the Rangers can win. However, not like they are playing lately. Much of the reason for the Rangers success early was the work of the role players. Two of them are missing (Betts & Hollweg). It is time to insert Hollweg into the lineup and just leave him be. He is not a scorer, but he IS a momentum changer.
Renney also has got to start to ccoach. Otherwise Lou Lams will run circles around him. This is a home game. Renney HAS to utilize the last line change and get Jagr away from Madden and whatever defensive pairing Lou sends out. Renney has not shown all year that he is willing to do that, but if he does not, then he is playing right into the Devils' gameplan. You cannot allow a team to come into your building and dictate to you.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:05 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Definitely worried about goaltending. Seems to me like starting Weekes yesterday would have been a good idea to keep him away from (a)the home crowd and (b) the hottest team in hockey. Even if Lundqvist does play, is he going to be sharp enough with 21 hours rest?
Me too, MJ. I keep fearing that Henke is not going to be as sharp tonight as he has to be. On other teams that consider themselves contenders, that could be ok, so long as the defense helps out. However, this defense is playing very poorly right now and simply adds to the woes.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Nice move by the NHL to schedule a Rangers-Devils game against the NFC championship game
No crap, why just not schedule games on the Super Bowl while your at it. This is why the NHL keeps proving sometimes they just haven't got a clue in the world.

And on top of it the only other game today is the Wild - Black Hawks in Chicago, now why in the hell would you want to have two of your biggest markets competing against the NFL Championships??

Stupid, stupid, stupid....

01-22-2006, 10:22 AM
DutchShamrock

Speaking of role players for tonight, how about Sykora playing the Devils as a New York Ranger? I expect another big night from this guy in front of the Garden faithful. Hollweg will only make it into the lineup if Hossa can't recover from his sprained teeth. I am usually against overplaying Henrik, but I think you tap him on the shoulder for a rivalry game.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:34 AM
AXN

You would think the Devils are due to lose. Rangers are at home and if they play well can win this game.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Bretzky*

I hate how when we play the devils now, there's like a 98% chance that Brian Gionta will score at least one goal.

Jagr is way overdue for a big offensive performance.

Old
01-22-2006, 11:04 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

How about a goal or two from Jagr tonight? Hes overdue for cryin out loud.

Has he been shut down?! Or has his play dropped off?

Gonna be there tonight, and and dont want a replay of the last friggin time the Devils came to the Garden, that was horrendous. It was 1-0 Rangers and there was a fight at the top of the section i was sitting in, and after they cleared it up i looked down at the game and it was 2-1 Devils! Sucked!

Old
01-22-2006, 11:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Jagr has 19 points in his last 12 games. I'd like to see the whole team slump like that.

01-22-2006, 11:16 AM
nyr7andcounting

Weekes should start. Rest Lundqvist for Tuesday against Buff. Besides, Weekes is due for a good game and the Devils are due to lose one.

Old
01-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Should be a good, tough game.

And hasn't Weekes been good against us this season? Except for that one flukey game a couple of weeks ago, that's what I seem to remember.

Hopefully Janssen gets a chance to pound Hollweg into oblivion like he did in the preseason.

Closed Thread