HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle Arena. v. XI

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2016, 11:56 AM
jbron

vCash: 500
It's all posturing by the City of Seattle ( Mayor and Council).

The city owns Key Arena. This presents a problem, in that if the Hanson project moves forward, Key Arena will be worthless. So the city is trying to salvage what they own. Further, the city has shown it can't manage a sports arena or concert arena. They already proved that, which is why the Sonics left. So the city is stuck unless they get either Hanson to offer financial relief for Key Arena, or find another use for the building. The city has no choice but to keep things in limbo to salvage something. Here are some thing to consider.

1. No question the fans in Seattle want NBA and NHL. Both can
prosper. The city also needs a concert arena with good sound.
2. By voting down Occidental Street the city gained almost 200
million of money , as Hanson now will privately finance the project.
So why wouldn't they hold out for more pushing a remodeled Key?
3. Key Arena is an issue for the city. They own it and unless they can
find a buyer or other use, they will push it as the arena location.
Seattle city will loose the revenue from concessions and
parking etc if the Hanson project remains 100% private.
4. Time will tell if the city has a real partner in remodeling Key Arena.
The city speaks of competition and a future for Key, but do they
really have a viable plan or partner?

In my opinion, the only way for Seattle to get an NHL/ NBA team is to have the city out of the way. Whether it's Hanson's project or a new Key Arena, if the city has involvement they will go cheap and run it
poorly. They are stuck with a potential dinosaur (Key). A vote for Hansen kills Keys value. So it's an issue of which the city will cause
delays until a buyer, re-purpose, or financial settlement is given for
Key Arena.

Old
10-27-2016, 12:04 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbron View Post
It's all posturing by the City of Seattle ( Mayor and Council).

The city owns Key Arena. This presents a problem, in that if the Hanson project moves forward, Key Arena will be worthless. So the city is trying to salvage what they own. Further, the city has shown it can't manage a sports arena or concert arena. They already proved that, which is why the Sonics left. So the city is stuck unless they get either Hanson to offer financial relief for Key Arena, or find another use for the building. The city has no choice but to keep things in limbo to salvage something. Here are some thing to consider.

1. No question the fans in Seattle want NBA and NHL. Both can
prosper. The city also needs a concert arena with good sound.
2. By voting down Occidental Street the city gained almost 200
million of money , as Hanson now will privately finance the project.
So why wouldn't they hold out for more pushing a remodeled Key?
3. Key Arena is an issue for the city. They own it and unless they can
find a buyer or other use, they will push it as the arena location.
Seattle city will loose the revenue from concessions and
parking etc if the Hanson project remains 100% private.
4. Time will tell if the city has a real partner in remodeling Key Arena.
The city speaks of competition and a future for Key, but do they
really have a viable plan or partner?

In my opinion, the only way for Seattle to get an NHL/ NBA team is to have the city out of the way. Whether it's Hanson's project or a new Key Arena, if the city has involvement they will go cheap and run it
poorly. They are stuck with a potential dinosaur (Key). A vote for Hansen kills Keys value. So it's an issue of which the city will cause
delays until a buyer, re-purpose, or financial settlement is given for
Key Arena.
I-91 comes into play if the city tries to use public money on Key arena. Problem is its not that easy to redo key arena into a modern state of the art arena.

That requires tearing key itself down (lawsuits will fly over that) tearing down nearby buildings and expand the footprint and build it back up.

Traffic is a total mess there so any proposal to turn key arena into a modern arena for NHL/NBA has to have a plan for traffic.

A billion dollar+ price tag for a NBA team. There is no way anyone is paying a billion dollars for a NBA team to be in a cheap crappy remodeled building. Its new arena or bust.

The battle for sodo arena is over a street vacation. The city is limited to what they can legally demand out of the street vacation. They can not force hansen to remodel key arena with a street vacation. They could have in the MOU but the new street vacation submission is about a 100% privately funded arena. The mou is irrelevant.

Old
10-27-2016, 12:11 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
what would BE the point of hockey coming to Seattle if the NBA has had issues w/ Key which led to the Sonics exiting? Would Key be really amenable as a temp and do we know what Silver's true position is on a potential Sonics return, and where does the history should a Sonics return happen, I believe those records and history stay w/ OKC PER their agreement upon exiting.

2) who would own a hockey team that strictly is in a tenancy scenario and Hansen wanted nothing to do w/ that, hence why a hockey partner was deemed necessary.
1) Key just as recent as a couple of years ago was okay for the Yotes as a temp venue, and we haven't heard anything saying it wouldn't work as a temp.

2) The Hockey Players have not yet been announced, could be Coleman, could be someone else. We do not know if this will be a tenant situation, and Hansen's group was open to having some interest in the NHL team. You would have to think that the Hockey guy would have some ownership into the arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner View Post
maybe the islanders should move to Seattle
That would be popular with local hockey fans since Mathew Barzal is on the team.

Last edited by BattleBorn: 10-27-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: multi-merge
Old
10-27-2016, 12:42 PM
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post

The battle for sodo arena is over a street vacation. The city is limited to what they can legally demand out of the street vacation. They can not force hansen to remodel key arena with a street vacation. They could have in the MOU but the new street vacation submission is about a 100% privately funded arena. The mou is irrelevant.
They cannot force Hansen to remodel Key, on 100%private, but that may be what they will angle for in negotiations on street vacation. At least assist on it.

Secondly I have a question regarding Key having lived here only 12 years. What is it that makes it a historical landmark, why was it designated as such?

Old
10-27-2016, 01:07 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhockeyfan View Post
They cannot force Hansen to remodel Key, on 100%private, but that may be what they will angle for in negotiations on street vacation. At least assist on it.

Secondly I have a question regarding Key having lived here only 12 years. What is it that makes it a historical landmark, why was it designated as such?
The roof structure is old enough to be considered historic landmark if someone wants to have it declared as such. Right now it hasn't been declared. But the moment someone tries to tear it down, there will be lawsuits and someone will attempt to have it declared a historic landmark.

The moment its declared historic landmark there is nothing that can be done to turn it into a modern state of an art arena.

Old
10-27-2016, 02:34 PM
tony d
Ocean Spray

Seattle gets an expansion team, conferences are evened out. Quebec City gets a relocated team.

10-27-2016, 02:45 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Power Group Lead by Oak View Group CEO Tim Lieweke and Irving Azoff who is also partnered with MSG want to renovate Key Arena:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/n...n-for-nba-nhl/

That is a massive power group

Quote:
That initial interest has morphed into interest in a full-scale KeyArena remodel involving a new sports and entertainment conglomerate headed by Tim Leiweke, the brother of former Seahawks president Tod Leiweke.

A city-hall source has confirmed that the Los Angeles-based Oak View Group, founded last November in a partnership between Leiweike and entertainment mega-manager Irving Azoff, is interested in developing KeyArena into a multi-purpose facility that could handle NBA or NHL games if teams become available.

Azoff is partnered with MSG, and Leiweike has serious NHL and NBA roots, having served as president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment in 2013 and 2014, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team and Toronto Raptors NBA franchise. When the Oak View Group was formed, it took on MSG as one of its first clients.

Old
10-27-2016, 02:51 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Power Group Lead by Oak View Group CEO Tim Lieweke and Irving Azoff who is also partnered with MSG want to renovate Key Arena:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/n...n-for-nba-nhl/

That is a massive power group
Here's the problem, 1) Are they going to put the $$$ to make it work.
2) how are they going to deal with any lawsuits that will try to make Key arena a historic landmark.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:00 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Here's the problem, 1) Are they going to put the $$$ to make it work.
2) how are they going to deal with any lawsuits that will try to make Key arena a historic landmark.
1) Many of MSG's other projects are privately financed

2) I'm sure they have lawyers taking a look at that

Old
10-27-2016, 03:03 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
1) Many of MSG's other projects are privately financed

2) I'm sure they have lawyers taking a look at that
Which isn't going to help us at all especially when you have an obsessed city that insists in Key arena only options.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:06 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Which isn't going to help us at all especially when you have an obsessed city that insists in Key arena only options.
What?

Old
10-27-2016, 03:08 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Just to boil it down, it looks like one way or another Seattle is getting an arena in short order and it's just a matter of whether it's in Seattle Center or SoDo.

Is that accurate?

10-27-2016, 03:13 PM
IwanttomoveoutWest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Just to boil it down, it looks like one way or another Seattle is getting an arena in short order and it's just a matter of whether it's in Seattle Center or SoDo.

Is that accurate?
I would say so. There is way too much smoke here for this entire arena fiasco to suddenly end.

They'll get an arena to bring back the NBA/NHL at some point.

Contrary to what some Canadians want to believe, Seattle has investors for an NHL team and that could happen before an NBA team.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:13 PM
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67

Makes me think Hansen is trying to get out ahead of "potential" alternatives to Sodo that SCC would prefer.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplayy View Post
I would say so. There is way too much smoke here for this entire arena fiasco to suddenly end.

They'll get an arena to bring back the NBA/NHL at some point.

Contrary to what some Canadians want to believe, Seattle has investors for an NHL team and that could happen before an NBA team.
The last expansion process seemed to show otherwise.

Plus with rumours coming out that expansion is going to happen shortly after the CBA is done which doesn't sound like it's too far away, seems like it's no coincidence that these arena plans are starting to come out of the woodwork. Once the RPF comes out, I think there will be even more.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:24 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
What?
My point was if Oak group is serious about building an arena that will house a NBA and NHL then show us the $$ and the plan. It does hansen and us no good with the sodo arena plan if all the city cares about Key arena and only key arena.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:25 PM
IwanttomoveoutWest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
The last expansion process seemed to show otherwise.

Plus with rumours coming out that expansion is going to happen shortly after the CBA is done which doesn't sound like it's too far away, seems like it's no coincidence that these arena plans are starting to come out of the woodwork. Once the RPF comes out, I think there will be even more.
Wally Walker believes an NHL team will be first. I have no reason to speculate why that couldn't happen. Seattle is a city with deep pockets and there have been reports of interested parties.

Quebec is a better candidate for relocation.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:27 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhockeyfan View Post
Makes me think Hansen is trying to get out ahead of "potential" alternatives to Sodo that SCC would prefer.
Legally speaking Hansen is still ahead of any alternatives due to the MOU. City of seattle has to wait until november 2017 before deciding on any other offers the most that they can to is entertain offers.

Hansen is proposing to tear up the MOU and building the arena 100% privately. Trouble for the city is to agree to tear up the MOU depends on them approving the street vacation.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:27 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplayy View Post
Wally Walker believes an NHL team will be first.
No idea who Wally Walker is...but in my opinion, in 20 years Seattle will be like Phoenix.

8 arenas in 8 different neighborhood.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:34 PM
IwanttomoveoutWest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
No idea who Wally Walker is...but in my opinion, in 20 years Seattle will be like Phoenix.

8 arenas in 8 different neighborhood.
He's on the NBA side of it but he believes the NHL will be monitoring it and said that an NHL team could be first. Who knows.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=953

Old
10-27-2016, 03:39 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post

Is that accurate?
My thought is, 2 groups and 2 sites is better than one site. So yeah, I think this is good news.

Quote:
My point was if Oak group is serious about building an arena that will house a NBA and NHL then show us the $$ and the plan. It does hansen and us no good with the sodo arena plan if all the city cares about Key arena and only key arena.
I agree, I want to see a plan, but they haven't yet.

Last edited by BattleBorn: 10-27-2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: multi-merge
Old
10-27-2016, 03:42 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
I agree, I want to see a plan, but they haven't yet.
Quote:
My thought is, 2 groups and 2 sites is better than one site. So yeah, I think this is good news.
As off now we have 1 plan with the $$$ backing and the idea of the other group may building an arena to house NBA and NHL will do nothing for us. Competition is good only when you have two legit plans with the $$$ backing it. We have 1.

Old
10-27-2016, 03:43 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post

Old
10-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

vCash: 302
Quote:
The roof structure is old enough to be considered historic landmark if someone wants to have it declared as such. Right now it hasn't been declared. But the moment someone tries to tear it down, there will be lawsuits and someone will attempt to have it declared a historic landmark.

The moment its declared historic landmark there is nothing that can be done to turn it into a modern state of an art arena.
Why would a dump like Key Arena be considered a historic landmark?

Old
10-27-2016, 03:47 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
As off now we have 1 plan with the $$$ backing and the idea of the other group may building an arena to house NBA and NHL will do nothing for us. Competition is good only when you have two legit plans with the $$$ backing it. We have 1.
Just because they have not laid out a plan yet, doesn't mean this isn't legit. This is a legit group, you don't just discount it because they haven't completely rolled out the plan.

Closed Thread