HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle Arena.....

Old
10-27-2016, 03:47 PM
IwanttomoveoutWest*

vCash: 500
I'm a Ranger fan but my cousin lives in Wallingford and I love Seattle. One of my best friends is stationed at Fort Lewis and lives down in Lacey with his family. He's dying for a team out there.

I wish it was done already, but a 32nd team in Seattle makes sense. Solves alignment, the market, etc.

IwanttomoveoutWest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 03:51 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Why would a dump like Key Arena be considered a historic landmark?
Age of the structure aka the Roof is more than 50 years old. It doesn't take much for a building to be declared historic. I seen buildings that are nothing more than junk be declared historic in the area. Its Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Just because they have not laid out a plan yet, doesn't mean this isn't legit. This is a legit group, you don't just discount it because they haven't completely rolled out the plan.
I'm not saying they aren't a legit group. I'm just saying i want to see a plan that meets the requirements of both leagues that addresses the problems of that location before i put them as serious competition.

If Hansen's sodo arena would not happen, i want it to not happen because someone else got it done in another location. As of now, its going not get done based on the idea that it "might" get done somewhere else. That "might" get done somewhere else is exactly one reason why i feel SCC said no to Hansen at first. .

I don't want might i want will get done.

Last edited by BattleBorn: 10-27-2016 at 04:01 PM. Reason: multi-merge
gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 03:57 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I'm not saying they aren't a legit group. I'm just saying i want to see a plan that meets the requirements of both leagues that addresses the problems of that location before i put them as serious competition.

If Hansen's sodo arena would not happen, i want it to not happen because someone else got it done in another location. As of now, its going not get done based on the idea that it "might" get done somewhere else. That "might" get done somewhere else is exactly one reason why i feel SCC said no to Hansen at first. .

I don't want might i want will get done.

Honestly it reminds me of all the people naysaying Hockey in Seattle because they beat the 'Well Who is the Ownership Group?' Drum. When the plan is ready to be presented I am sure we will know. Why would they have to present the plan before they are ready to present it?

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 04:00 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Honestly it reminds me of all the people naysaying Hockey in Seattle because they beat the 'Well Who is the Ownership Group?' Drum. When the plan is ready to be presented I am sure we will know. Why would they have to present the plan before they are ready to present it?
We do not have that kind of time to wait till they present it.

Old
10-27-2016, 04:02 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
We don't? They are operating on a different time line than Hansen.

Old
10-27-2016, 04:13 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
We don't? They are operating on a different time line than Hansen.
I feel that if Hansen doesn't get that street vacation, we basically lost out for both teams for quite some time and there is nothing this other group can do about it but build an arena just to remain empty.

Old
10-27-2016, 04:15 PM
IwanttomoveoutWest*

Lander Street Bridge alone should make them pass the Street Vacation. That's total ********.

IwanttomoveoutWest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 04:18 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplayy View Post
Lander Street Bridge alone should make them pass the Street Vacation. That's total ********.
(sarcasm) But they feel that they can get the Lander street overpass with out an arena (/sarcasm)

Seriously though there is a few folks some at port and one city official that they think they can get the street vacation with out the arena when they have no idea where the 27m gap is going to be filled from.

Old
10-27-2016, 04:28 PM
jbron

Fans of the NHL and NBA will come to the arena whether it's Key or
SODO. The city wants Key as they own the property and they don't want to see their value diminished. Whether the city truly has an investment group and architectural plan that are both viable remains to be seen. It's a process, as fans, we all have to suffer through. With Hansen's announcement things are further along then when city council voted 5-4 against O. ave. So that's a good thing. Yet, expect this situation to stay in limbo from the mayors office and city council until the time comes when they actually need to do something.

jbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 04:32 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbron View Post
Fans of the NHL and NBA will come to the arena whether it's Key or
SODO. The city wants Key as they own the property and they don't want to see their value diminished. Whether the city truly has an investment group and architectural plan that are both viable remains to be seen. It's a process, as fans, we all have to suffer through. With Hansen's announcement things are further along then when city council voted 5-4 against O. ave. So that's a good thing. Yet, expect this situation to stay in limbo from the mayors office and city council until the time comes when they actually need to do something.
They won't go to the key if it doesn't mean NBA and NHL requirements. The city may feel it does enough to tell hansen to get out but they do not care if we do not have a NBA and a NHL team. They do not care at all.

Old
10-27-2016, 04:50 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

vCash: 859
Quote:
They won't go to the key if it doesn't mean NBA and NHL requirements. The city may feel it does enough to tell hansen to get out but they do not care if we do not have a NBA and a NHL team. They do not care at all.
Key Arena as it is now does what it needs to do. Hold a One Direction concert, host some small basketball games, etc.

It makes zero sense to spend money updating it to do what it already does. If someone's spending money they're doing it to get a team in there. It doesn't make sense paying millions to maintain the status quo.

10-27-2016, 04:53 PM
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67

Quote:
We have all kinds of time. Hansen obviously does not go away with the MOU expiration.

nwhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 05:02 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
I feel that if Hansen doesn't get that street vacation, we basically lost out for both teams for quite some time and there is nothing this other group can do about it but build an arena just to remain empty.
What? Why would the NBA/NHL abandon Seattle if Hansen drops out?

Old
10-27-2016, 05:51 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
What? Why would the NBA/NHL abandon Seattle if Hansen drops out?
If sodo is a no go and hansen walks away then what? We exactly where we were 5-6 years ago nothing. Other than just an idea at tukwila with no money backing it.

Oh SR person just posted this in the comments.

" A source close to the situation told us that this group has previously explored other local sites, including Bellevue. It should also be noted that while they are initiating a feasibility study at the Key there is no indication that they are committed to it or that the feasibility study will show the Key to be viable. "

Aka one of the Bellevue group folks that was kicking the tire around the that NHL was taking expansion bids.

Last edited by gstommylee: 10-27-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old
10-27-2016, 06:39 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Key Arena as it is now does what it needs to do. Hold a One Direction concert, host some small basketball games, etc.

It makes zero sense to spend money updating it to do what it already does. If someone's spending money they're doing it to get a team in there. It doesn't make sense paying millions to maintain the status quo.
Seattle U AND THE WNBA Storm who remained after the Sonics relo still reside @ Key.

What I'M waiting to hear is what is Silver's position in regards to a potential NBA return or do we hear more about why Key isn't a suitable venue even temporarily when/if the NBA returns....

imho, the Hockey AVENUE ship sailed away when the expansion bid was not submitted by Seattle hockey ownership and time ran out on them submitting a bid.

It would be better had Seattle, been deferred a bid but not at the expense of existing markets.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 07:11 PM
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67

Quote:
If sodo is a no go and hansen walks away then what? We exactly where we were 5-6 years ago nothing. Other than just an idea at tukwila with no money backing it.

Oh SR person just posted this in the comments.

" A source close to the situation told us that this group has previously explored other local sites, including Bellevue. It should also be noted that while they are initiating a feasibility study at the Key there is no indication that they are committed to it or that the feasibility study will show the Key to be viable. "

Aka one of the Bellevue group folks that was kicking the tire around the that NHL was taking expansion bids.
Just another reason to delay Hansen if this group has not really got into the process, if that quote is true. Now SCC can point to Key even though no feasibility has been done by this group.

The arena situation here in Seattle is going the way of Bertha. Just stop thinking about it until it's done.

nwhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:22 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

http://www.king5.com/news/local/emai.../343341461?c=n

Kind of OT, but Tommy posted this over at the SR site, so I'll pop it here for those of you who just follow this discussion thread only here at HF.

Daniels here reporting about some emails from the Port detailing possible development ideas (I'm guessing you could call it that) for Terminal 46, a shipping dock which is not far from the SoDo site. Essentially, as Tommy noted in a comment over on the other website, this I'm guessing (Tommy, am I right in making this assessment) calls into question the Port's real reasons for opposing the Hansen plan and could become part of the larger debate about it. The dock in question is where Hanjin, that Korean shipping firm that just went bankrupt, operates out of here in Seattle.

Last edited by snovalleyhockeyfan: 10-27-2016 at 08:27 PM.
snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:33 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Back on topic.....

http://murray.seattle.gov/mayor-murr...-rfp-keyarena/

Daniels just reported this on Twitter. Seattle Mayor Ed Murray's office officially announcing that they'll be putting out requests for proposals for KeyArena reno's, timeframe on this to be just after the start of the new year.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2016, 08:52 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

AEG and Oak View Group are two groups that have reached out. Both are extremely credible & capable.

Old
10-27-2016, 09:15 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
AEG and Oak View Group are two groups that have reached out. Both are extremely credible & capable.
I'm not going to hold my breath that SCC will actually pick the plan that gets us teams.

Old
10-28-2016, 02:36 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Eventually, trips between the neighbouring fanbases will become much quicker...

Vancouver and Seattle seek to come closer together | The Economist Oct 15th 2016

Quote:
Visionaries have whizzier ideas for speeding up the journey, which can take three or four hours by car. One $30 billion idea is for a bullet train, which could cut the journey of four hours to one. A cheaper proposal is for a special highway for driverless cars. Either would improve connections between neighbours that do not know each other as well as they should.

10-28-2016, 03:23 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Eventually, trips between the neighbouring fanbases will become much quicker...

Vancouver and Seattle seek to come closer together | The Economist Oct 15th 2016
That special highway idea is stupid. They want to eventually make i-5 from seattle to Vancouver bc driverless cars only. Nevermind its unconsitutional

Old
10-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Rocko604
Playoffs?

Day by day it seems like Seattle City Hall just wants Hansen to go away. Like "How dare he come into our fair city with his own money and tell US what to do. So let's go with Oak View or AEG who we can give taxpayer money to renovate Key Arena and keep this renegade Hansen out."

The one good thing about the Key Arena reno would be that either Leiweke or AEG would be in charge of it, would be renovated to both NHL and NBA specs (ie no Barclays Center configuration) and both groups rub elbows with both leagues already.

As a non-Seattle resident, I really don't care which one happens, as long as it gets done, and the NHL gets to Seattle.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 04:04 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Day by day it seems like Seattle City Hall just wants Hansen to go away. Like "How dare he come into our fair city with his own money and tell US what to do. So let's go with Oak View or AEG who we can give taxpayer money to renovate Key Arena and keep this renegade Hansen out."

The one good thing about the Key Arena reno would be that either Leiweke or AEG would be in charge of it, would be renovated to both NHL and NBA specs (ie no Barclays Center configuration) and both groups rub elbows with both leagues already.

As a non-Seattle resident, I really don't care which one happens, as long as it gets done, and the NHL gets to Seattle.
The requirement set by the mayor that any key arena plan has to address traffic issues in the area and that will be a massive issue.

Old
10-28-2016, 04:18 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

vCash: 859
Quote:
The requirement set by the mayor that any key arena plan has to address traffic issues in the area and that will be a massive issue.
Haven't they already done traffic studies for SoDo? That's a fairly accessible area that should be pretty able to handle the traffic from an arena, especially if there's access to 99 once the viaduct is gone (I'm not sure if there will be.)

The traffic nightmare seems to come from Key Arena and that whole area, I guess they've done some stuff to Mercer St since I've last visited, but that doesn't seem like enough especially on a street like that.

Plus, doesn't the tunnel (if that ever gets done) relocate 99 off of Aurora and away from the arena eliminating another potential easy access route to get in/out of the area?

ETA: looked at the tunnel map, looks like 99 might actually be more accessible for southbound traffic with the tunnel versus the tunnel/viaduct.

BattleBorn is online now   Reply With Quote