HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle Arena.....

Old
03-20-2017, 01:55 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

vCash: 500
I can't help but imagine the Seattle City Council embrace the motto : Why make it simple when awfully complicated is better !

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:37 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1012 View Post
No it is not April 1st...
I think I posted something exactly along these lines a few pages back in the thread, a month or so ago. The Monorail needs to integrate better with public transit or become funded by the club for free use for certain time frames around game days in order to be a viable part of the picture. It won't be a huge part of the solution otherwise.

Even then, the capacity of the monorail is pretty limited IIRC.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:31 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
I can't help but imagine the Seattle City Council embrace the motto : Why make it simple when awfully complicated is better !
Yeah, you think?

Oh, and for some OT comic relief.....

Last edited by snovalleyhockeyfan: 03-20-2017 at 03:45 PM.
snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:46 PM
blueandgoldguy

A monorail would put Seattle on the map even more so than an NHL or NBA team.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:25 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
A monorail would put Seattle on the map even more so than an NHL or NBA team.
Well, we already have it. Damn thing is 55 years old this year, was built as part of construction for 1962 World's Fair which was held at Center grounds. What is being suggested is to utilize the monorail as a means of shuttling fans in and out of the Key corridor/Center to downtown so fans can just use the downtown parking lots as opposed to parking closer to the arena and having to drive Mercer to and from the freeway.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Jonas1235

I don't get the Seattle love when Portland is down the road and already has a building.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:21 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I hear those things are awfully loud.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Peter Skudra
Nucks fan since '02

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
I don't get the Seattle love when Portland is down the road and already has a building.
As of right now Paul Allen doesn't want competition to the Trail Blazers in his building. (For bias reasons I hope that changes).

Peter Skudra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:32 PM
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67

Funny thing about the monorail is that it should already be factored into any prior transportation study related to Key. All the RFP people can do is build the cost of ridership into the tickets which is minimal at best. I don't see any significant net benefit to the traffic concerns to Key Arena by including the monorail as a possibility to improve traffic or even parking.

nwhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:50 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
He mentioned Minneapolis, and 2 arenas and "a geography that makes it work." I live here, and I thought that was clear enough.

Mpls/St Paul are 9 miles apart. Neither is a suburb of the other. The metro goes all directions, although the hottest area now is south and west of Mpls.

Traditionally, the hockey was played in St Paul anyway. The old Civic Center. North Stars played in the 1st/2nd tier of suburbs, in the Met Center, an arena built near Bloomington's original venue for the Vikings/Twins.

When NBA came, Minneapolis courted them, and that was appropriate, for Mpls is the home of the Lakers (no lakes in LA, really). Hockey should be in St Paul, and it is.

Because each city has a downtown, 2 arenas make sense here. Probably, that's a unique situation.
The Xcel Energy Center is on the footprint of the old St. Paul Civic Center.

The Met Center would be in the parking lot of the Mall of America, which was built at the Metropolitan Stadium site. I tripped over Home Plate one time, it was by Camp Snoopy. (Charles Schultz was from St. Paul)

The Twin Cities may have a lot of sports venues, but they keep re-using them, just like the new football stadium where the Humpydome was sited. Too bad that the University of Minnesota wanted their own outdoor football stadium instead of sharing US Bank Stadium with the Vikings. The was a missed opportunity.

I wonder if a new Seattle Arena will be built in my lifetime.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:56 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
The Xcel Energy Center is on the footprint of the old St. Paul Civic Center.

The Met Center would be in the parking lot of the Mall of America, which was built at the Metropolitan Stadium site. I tripped over Home Plate one time, it was by Camp Snoopy. (Charles Schultz was from St. Paul)

The Twin Cities may have a lot of sports venues, but they keep re-using them, just like the new football stadium where the Humpydome was sited. Too bad that the University of Minnesota wanted their own outdoor football stadium instead of sharing US Bank Stadium with the Vikings. The was a missed opportunity.

I wonder if a new Seattle Arena will be built in my lifetime.
Continuing off topic, but the footprint of the Met Center is now the Ikea Store across the lot from Mall of America, where there is expansion happening even now.

Yes, Xcel is on the same land as Civic Center.

I was merely pointing out a bit of our history, and that the 2 downtowns configuration makes the Xcel in St Paul a good situation, whereas, in Phoenix, for example, the 2nd or even 3rd arena doesn't have a logical place to sit.

MNNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:57 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
Portland has an arena : True
Portland is down the road : True
Portland cares about hockey : ???
Result : No hockey team, had many occasions to get one, did not.

Disclaimer : I am not saying Portland is not a good market, all I am saying is there is more than just having an arena in Portland.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:57 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

vCash: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad View Post
I hear those things are awfully loud.
It glides as softly as a cloud.

Seriously though, they can't really be serious on the monorail option.

03-20-2017, 10:21 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post

I have to think the Monorail news item is a plant by Hansen to shift public opinion even further into thinking KeyArena is a bit of a joke.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:00 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post

The ring came off my pudding can.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:12 PM
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad View Post
I have to think the Monorail news item is a plant by Hansen to shift public opinion even further into thinking KeyArena is a bit of a joke.
It was actually brought up by one the groups submitting a proposal in response to the RFP for Key. The monorail and I believe that the use of Uber drivers etc were mentioned as well. Hansen doesn't need to do anything but sit back and enjoy the show. Unfortunately SCC will probably buy into it and hold onto Occidental for as long as it can.

nwhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 07:37 AM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Too bad that the University of Minnesota wanted their own outdoor football stadium instead of sharing US Bank Stadium with the Vikings. The was a missed opportunity...
Honestly the few years the Vikings were playing outdoors in that stadium they were actually interesting. It amazes me that they can see and are able to replicate the atmosphere of Lambeau Field but for the last 30 years have opted to play in air conditioning and almost no home field advantage.

King_Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:03 AM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Did you forget the Target Center in Minneapolis, home of the NBA's Timberwolves?

Wild play in St. Paul at the Xcel Energy Center.
The first list I had was really for basketball arenas that don't handle hockey or handle it in a really squishy manner. Target seems to accommodate hockey better than Phoenix or Brooklyn.

So I'm looking at this as "who has separate basketball and hockey arenas and makes it work?"

The Bay Area, fairly well. Valley of the Sun, not so well.

Last edited by PCSPounder: 03-21-2017 at 08:14 AM.
PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:13 AM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Well, we already have it. Damn thing is 55 years old this year, was built as part of construction for 1962 World's Fair which was held at Center grounds. What is being suggested is to utilize the monorail as a means of shuttling fans in and out of the Key corridor/Center to downtown so fans can just use the downtown parking lots as opposed to parking closer to the arena and having to drive Mercer to and from the freeway.
In Seattle, it's so iconic that someone throwing a monkey wrench into initial light rail plans actually convinced voters to pass a monorail expansion measure. Then the county & city found a way to kill that... and that's a good thing. You'd either have to run a circular route or one train ever, and it's already expensive enough to build in Seattle.

But, in being iconic, consider the possibility you could get voters to build larger platforms, expand the train's length, replace the cars... maybe that's something. Or express the spirit of the World's Fair from whence it came and go maglev. This may be the way to go.

Old
03-21-2017, 08:23 AM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Portland has an arena : True
Portland is down the road : True
Portland cares about hockey : ???
Result : No hockey team, had many occasions to get one, did not.

Disclaimer : I am not saying Portland is not a good market, all I am saying is there is more than just having an arena in Portland.
Portland consistently topped Seattle in attendance in the old pro WHL days and the current junior WHL. This is despite a local tradition against minor leagues and the like.

Of course, only one person can own the team in the existing arena sustainably. There's the rub.

At least Paul Allen isn't Les Alexander. When the news dropped that Allen and Vulcan were perhaps chasing the Coyotes during the 2013 Glendale mess, it did spark some hope around here. I can see Allen perhaps thinking the NHL would bring him leverage when it comes to the next arena. Yet there's no trigger pulled to this point.

Old
03-21-2017, 11:11 AM
jbron

As far as WHL attendance Portland does have the edge on Seattle.
However, when you put in Everett and Seattle then the combined area
draws more than Portland. Most fans that I know that live in the middle
of Everett and Seattle go to the Silvertips games.

jbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 11:24 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
In Seattle, it's so iconic that someone throwing a monkey wrench into initial light rail plans actually convinced voters to pass a monorail expansion measure. Then the county & city found a way to kill that... and that's a good thing. You'd either have to run a circular route or one train ever, and it's already expensive enough to build in Seattle.

But, in being iconic, consider the possibility you could get voters to build larger platforms, expand the train's length, replace the cars... maybe that's something. Or express the spirit of the World's Fair from whence it came and go maglev. This may be the way to go.
A taxi driver, no less!! But I'm guessing that the proposals here will not involve any sort of expansion, instead, they'd modernize the existing downtown-SC link and set it up to be able to handle the extra loads of riders to/from the Key.

Old
03-21-2017, 11:25 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbron View Post
As far as WHL attendance Portland does have the edge on Seattle.
However, when you put in Everett and Seattle then the combined area
draws more than Portland. Most fans that I know that live in the middle
of Everett and Seattle go to the Silvertips games.
Everett is easier to get to for most people - it's right downtown off the main arterial, whereas Seattle's arena is in a southern suburb.

Old
03-21-2017, 01:19 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

If you think the traffic issues with the Key were an Achilles heel, see this......

Old
03-21-2017, 02:14 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
If you're doing that right, you're including streetcar access and limited parking spaces, getting these people on foot. Portland's Pearl District sort of succeeds at this, and that's not "downzoned" property.

If anything, this creates the possibility of bringing the "desired fan base" closer to the arena. If done right. Beware taking that advice at face value.