HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle Arena.....

Old
10-28-2016, 05:30 PM
gstommylee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Haven't they already done traffic studies for SoDo? That's a fairly accessible area that should be pretty able to handle the traffic from an arena, especially if there's access to 99 once the viaduct is gone (I'm not sure if there will be.)

The traffic nightmare seems to come from Key Arena and that whole area, I guess they've done some stuff to Mercer St since I've last visited, but that doesn't seem like enough especially on a street like that.

Plus, doesn't the tunnel (if that ever gets done) relocate 99 off of Aurora and away from the arena eliminating another potential easy access route to get in/out of the area?

ETA: looked at the tunnel map, looks like 99 might actually be more accessible for southbound traffic with the tunnel versus the tunnel/viaduct.
No one has really looking into rather key arena and the region will work for an modern arena.

We have no idea what these 2 groups are going to do or what kind of money they are going to put into it. We'll find out January.

Either we get a new arena for both teams there or its nothing more than a smaller venue for concerts and sports and sodo arena wins.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 05:51 PM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

If they get a team they should call them the Seattle Stags and deck them out like a bottle of Glenfiddich.

10-28-2016, 07:39 PM
Dirty Old Man
Later Taters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If they get a team they should call them the Seattle Stags and deck them out like a bottle of Glenfiddich.
Save that for if the Milwaukee Bucks relocate. Heck, that's almost what the Bucks have now, colors and all. Easy transition.

Dirty Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2016, 08:36 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Old Man View Post
Save that for if the Milwaukee Bucks relocate. Heck, that's almost what the Bucks have now, colors and all. Easy transition.
[MOD]

Seattle should get a hockey team that plays in a suitable arena, not another Barclays Center. That is what the Key Arena seems like to me, as an outsider.

Last edited by BattleBorn: 10-28-2016 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Let's not go there.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 08:39 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Haven't they already done traffic studies for SoDo? That's a fairly accessible area that should be pretty able to handle the traffic from an arena, especially if there's access to 99 once the viaduct is gone (I'm not sure if there will be.)

The traffic nightmare seems to come from Key Arena and that whole area, I guess they've done some stuff to Mercer St since I've last visited, but that doesn't seem like enough especially on a street like that.

Plus, doesn't the tunnel (if that ever gets done) relocate 99 off of Aurora and away from the arena eliminating another potential easy access route to get in/out of the area?

ETA: looked at the tunnel map, looks like 99 might actually be more accessible for southbound traffic with the tunnel versus the tunnel/viaduct.
They have, IIRC it was part of the environmental review.

The traffic situation is much better with SoDo, as not only will you have 99 available to you, but I-90 drops in there too from I-5.

What they did with Mercer was they made it a two-way street as opposed to the previous one-way version; the problems, though, for Key, are two-fold:

-Mercer runs smack dab through the SLU tech district, and traffic has become a big bottleneck down there, especially in the evenings

-There's way less parking available around the Center now with much of that having been gobbled up by the Gates Foundation headquarters at the east end of the complex.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 02:16 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/10/2...r-hansen-arena

This was featured on Twitter yesterday, surprised it didn't reach here.

I'm really beginning to think Leiweke has more juice than Hansen with any given group of owners.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2016, 02:18 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/10/2...r-hansen-arena

This was featured on Twitter yesterday, surprised it didn't reach here.

I'm really beginning to think Leiweke has more juice than Hansen with any given group of owners.
It doesn't matter, If he doesn't come up with legitmate plan that address traffic issues in the key arena region and actually designs and builds an arena to meet the requirements of NHL and NBA. Then the leagues aren't going to bother with him.

Old
10-29-2016, 09:43 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Key works as a temp venue.

Wally Walker interview on Softy, does this sound like someone that is just focusing on the NBA?:

http://www.iheart.com/show/139-Dave-...de_id=27799737
Just curious since I have never been to Seattle. How long would construction on a new arena take once its officially go factoring in weather, site clearance, etc?

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 02:45 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Back on topic.....

http://murray.seattle.gov/mayor-murr...-rfp-keyarena/

Daniels just reported this on Twitter. Seattle Mayor Ed Murray's office officially announcing that they'll be putting out requests for proposals for KeyArena reno's, timeframe on this to be just after the start of the new year.
To add to this post

http://mynorthwest.com/438619/seattl...-announcement/

Quote:
The redevelopment of KeyArena would be preferred by those who have opposed Hansen’s plan. That includes several city council members and the Port of Seattle. Critics of Hansen and his team say building another arena in SoDo would be detrimental to the already congested roadways and would negatively impact port traffic. A SoDo arena would require the city to vacate a one-block stretch of Occidental Avenue.

The announcement by Murray falls in line with what KIRO Radio’s Mike Lewis reported just last week. Lewis wrote that, behind the scenes, Murray’s office wasn’t abandoning the idea of the KeyArena once again hosting more major sporting events in an area already served-well by public transportation in Seattle Center.
Should I laugh?

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2016, 12:51 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Seattle gets an expansion team, conferences are evened out. Quebec City gets a relocated team.
I think this was the handshake deal between Bettman and QC.

What exactly was the point of the bid process for expansion? You know who had interest. Was it to pressure Seattle into a bid?

If QC makes so much sense, why wait? And the way the Quebec reps handled being passed up for now, classic Bettman-unified-front game plan. You know they were given assurances.

QC is better off going the relocation route. Cheaper purchase which helps with the weaker Canadian dollar.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2016, 04:24 PM
kurt
the last emperor

I couldn't imagine the Mercer mess after a hockey/basketball game. Good lord, how did they ever do it.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 12:03 PM
j1012

Postcast: Mayor Ed Murray on the Seattle arena issue

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/catego...k%20and%20Salk

j1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 12:41 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1012 View Post
Postcast: Mayor Ed Murray on the Seattle arena issue

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/catego...k%20and%20Salk
For everyone's information, this is of an appearance by the mayor on the Brock Huard/Mike Salk radio show on ESPN 710 AM radio here in town this morning. I believe this went for a full 60 minutes. I myself did not listen in so I am unable to do a cliff's notes version. j1012 should be able to do so if any of you ask.

Old
11-01-2016, 02:37 PM
j1012

Cliff notes version:

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/208424...t-one-another/

Old
11-01-2016, 02:38 PM
j1012

Old
11-10-2016, 12:16 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Radio/webstream advisory:

Old
11-10-2016, 04:24 PM
j1012

http://www.iheart.com/show/59-The-Ch...de_id=27818807

In the first hour, Chris Daniels of King 5, sitting in for Chuck Powell, discusses the Seattle arena situation including SODO and Key Arena plus takes listeners questions on the subject.

http://www.iheart.com/show/59-The-Ch...de_id=27818810

More questions answered

Old
11-11-2016, 03:12 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

vCash: 400
Looks like ST3 will be approved. One more for SODO v. KeyArena.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2016, 08:29 AM
j1012

http://www.king5.com/news/local/city...erns/350963128

City leaders explain Key Arena development proposal, hear concerns

Quote:
Seattle City leaders say there is room to grow Key Arena.

That's the biggest takeaway from a small, intimate meeting Thursday night of city leaders with members of the Uptown Alliance community group.

They also learned there may be stiff community opposition to a major remodel of the Arena, which has occupied the spot in Seattle Center since it was known as the Seattle Center Coliseum.

The announcement came as Seattle Mayor Ed Murray formally launched a process to study the Key Arena renovation. Documents obtained by KING 5 show that the Mayor has ordered Surratt to lead a team to study the "planning and ultimate construction of a new world-class venue to attract the NBA, NHL, and other events" to the region.

Murray has ordered departments, in an internal memo, to coordinate a project team "no later than November 15, 2016" and to "deliver a work plan with project deliverables and deadlines no later than December 15, 2016". Murray's note, to several department heads, also asks them to present options and recommendations for advancing an arena proposal to the Mayor "no later than June 30, 2017.”

Old
11-11-2016, 08:38 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
http://www.king5.com/news/local/city...erns/350963128

City leaders explain Key Arena development proposal, hear concerns
Can't get this to multi-quote like I want it to but oh well. All I will say is that it appears that if nothing else, Hansen's offer has at least forced Murray to think about getting this done, which is good news (?) for sports fans. But this quote from the previous post I think tells the tale.

Quote:
They also learned there may be stiff community opposition to a major remodel of the Arena, which has occupied the spot in Seattle Center since it was known as the Seattle Center Coliseum
Sounds as if Tommy may be right about the possible problems getting a full reno there - and we're not talking about it just being about the historical nature of it. The opposition will likely focus on the traffic/parking part of the exercise, so hopefully this is an area the city will be paying full attention to in the study. I have attended high school football games at Memorial and can tell you that there's usually not enough parking and it's harder than hell to get into that parking lot off of 5th Ave., so if one has problems getting to high school football games there, think about what kinds of issues will pop up with NBA/NHL at the Key without additional parking/traffic improvements. One thing that might work on this point is perhaps encouraging folks to park downtown close to Westlake Center and then hopping on the Monorail to get down to the Key and back.

Old
11-11-2016, 12:55 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Can't get this to multi-quote like I want it to but oh well. All I will say is that it appears that if nothing else, Hansen's offer has at least forced Murray to think about getting this done, which is good news (?) for sports fans. But this quote from the previous post I think tells the tale.

Sounds as if Tommy may be right about the possible problems getting a full reno there - and we're not talking about it just being about the historical nature of it. The opposition will likely focus on the traffic/parking part of the exercise, so hopefully this is an area the city will be paying full attention to in the study. I have attended high school football games at Memorial and can tell you that there's usually not enough parking and it's harder than hell to get into that parking lot off of 5th Ave., so if one has problems getting to high school football games there, think about what kinds of issues will pop up with NBA/NHL at the Key without additional parking/traffic improvements. One thing that might work on this point is perhaps encouraging folks to park downtown close to Westlake Center and then hopping on the Monorail to get down to the Key and back.
Yea the idea of making the arena there bigger may get some serious opposition from the community there.

Old
11-11-2016, 01:56 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Thanks to all posters in the PAC NW for keeping us outsiders informed about what's happening w/ Seattle/King County. It's much appreciated.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2016, 07:51 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Thanks to all posters in the PAC NW for keeping us outsiders informed about what's happening w/ Seattle/King County. It's much appreciated.
You are quite welcome. We'll keep posting here as news warrants, and we anticipate that to be the case very much into the new year. I should also mention that next year Murray will be up for re-election, so that will also be a factor in all of the current discussions going forward.

Old
11-14-2016, 09:33 AM
j1012

Old
11-14-2016, 11:04 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote: