HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle Arena. v. XI

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Interesting.....
Yes, kind of my feeling, as if the NHL no longer cares about Seattle? That would pretty surprising, truth be told.

Old
11-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Grudy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1012 View Post
Quote:
Interesting.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Yes, kind of my feeling, as if the NHL no longer cares about Seattle? That would pretty surprising, truth be told.
I think it works more like this:

What's changed in the past two weeks? Nothing. No concrete arena plans, just announced proposals. It's as if Daly is stating "call me when you have a concrete plan".

Old
11-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Ho Sang Clan
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I just think they're gonna stop pursuing until an actual arena gets built. Because, let's face it, the arena issue in Seattle is getting ridiculous. The politicians are getting in the way like Nassau County did with the Isles, and I gotta think the NHL is growing tired of it.

If Seattle already had a team before this, I have to think they'd be pressing more like they have been with Arizona, but at the time they don't. The NHL is probably saying, "get the arena settled, and then come back."

Old
11-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

@Backhand of Justice, Grudy0

I think you're both right. It's a market they'd love to enter, but you have to have a REAL arena. Seattle folks have to get that done.

Old
11-14-2016, 01:39 PM
Mightygoose

Agreed with that assessment.

As of now, there are no real plans to build an arena with the economics to have an NHL team suceed.

It will be curious to see the details of the RFP for Key when they come out cause it seems like Sodo will be an eternal log jam.

Old
11-14-2016, 05:13 PM
j1012

Old
11-14-2016, 05:24 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

That is a Megaton.

Old
11-14-2016, 05:52 PM
gstommylee

This is huge for our efforts. Wilson has always been on our side for the efforts to bring back the NBA and get us a NHL team.

Old
11-14-2016, 08:23 PM
wunderpanda
enter PHo Botts

Quote:
“We’re not paying a lot of attention to Seattle,” Bettman said. “If they ever put a shovel in the ground and actually build a building instead if just talking about one, we might – might – pay attention. But it’s not something we’re monitoring.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle32846571/

Old
11-14-2016, 08:56 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
Nothing new from the NHL. No arena no team. They want something solid like an actual finalized arena plan.

Once a building happens, then a team will happen imo.

Old
11-14-2016, 09:02 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Old
11-14-2016, 09:06 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
He could perhaps own 1% of the team or have some sort of share of the arena.

Old
11-14-2016, 09:09 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
He could perhaps own 1% of the team or have some sort of share of the arena.
similar deal w/ Barclays and Jay Z, tommy, good to see though, now next is to get Sounders FC SUPPORT/involvement NOW we've got at least one Seahawk

Old
11-14-2016, 09:16 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
similar deal w/ Barclays and Jay Z, tommy, good to see though, now next is to get Sounders FC SUPPORT/involvement NOW we've got at least one Seahawk
Maybe more. Wagner of the seahawks showed interest being involved. So there might be multiple players testifying in favor of the street vacation.

Old
11-14-2016, 09:23 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Maybe more. Wagner of the seahawks showed interest being involved. So there might be multiple players testifying in favor of the street vacation.
http://q13fox.com/2016/11/09/seahawk...-to-come-back/

Any of them who would be interested will be certainly welcomed. I will say that I think that a lot of this is driven by lots of fans locally clamoring for these guys to become more involved in this effort on a public level especially after what went down with the Council back in May. I'd have to anticipate more of them will join in as the weeks roll along, especially with this in mind. So we'll probably have a few more of these to announce I would expect here.

Old
11-14-2016, 09:23 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
the more it seems, might be better off, and hopefully, Seattle will finally close the chapter of Sonicsgate, much the way it seems Arizona is pumped about ASU/Tempe.

hang in there, it'll feel good when it's finally done, whether it's Key or something better.

Old
11-14-2016, 09:27 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
the more it seems, might be better off, and hopefully, Seattle will finally close the chapter of Sonicsgate, much the way it seems Arizona is pumped about ASU/Tempe.

hang in there, it'll feel good when it's finally done, whether it's Key or something better.
i'm not convinced Key arena tear down and rebuild to NHL/NBA specs is going to get enough local area (uptown & queen ann) for it to happen nor do i see such a plan actually addressing traffic.

Old
11-15-2016, 10:15 AM
j1012

Russell Wilson writes

Boomshakalaka!

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/rus...ck-to-seattle/

Old
11-15-2016, 10:42 AM
tony d
Ocean Spray

It looks like something, Wilson's one of the top athletes in that city right now, got to think if he's behind something something could get done. For balanced conferences and an instant rivalry with Vancouver I think the NHL should watch this very carefully.

11-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Mightygoose

Sorry if I seem cynical here.

Understand Wilson is very popular in Seattle for obvious reasons, but how would his inclusion sway the council in approving the street vacation?

If they're not moved by a group wanting to bring the NBA to Seattle and then also not moved when a 100% private offer is made, how would this be different?

Old
11-15-2016, 11:12 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

Understand Wilson is very popular in Seattle for obvious reasons, but how would his inclusion sway the council in approving the street vacation?

If they're not moved by a group wanting to bring the NBA to Seattle and then also not moved when a 100% private offer is made, how would this be different?

You answered your own question Mighty. His popularity in Seattle is off the charts. It also helps that he is a minority and would make the ownership group more diverse.

The 100% private option is nice, but those are numbers. Russell Wilson is now the face. Its hard for people to really connect to numbers without a face to attach it to. Now you have Russell Wilson's face and its all good.

Old
11-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
You answered your own question Mighty. His popularity in Seattle is off the charts. It also helps that he is a minority and would make the ownership group more diverse.

The 100% private option is nice, but those are numbers. Russell Wilson is now the face.
Sounds good. Still don't see how it moves the needle on getting the vacation approved. Looks like David Beckham's Miami MLS stadium efforts.

Hopefully it will work out. However, if the city says no to him then what...Russell asks for a trade ?

Old
11-15-2016, 11:23 AM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Sounds good. Still don't see how it moves the needle on getting the vacation approved. Looks like David Beckham's Miami MLS stadium efforts.

Hopefully it will work out. However, if the city says no to him then what...Russell asks for a trade ?
No but it could come back to hurt them come election time next November......(Mayor and I think some of the council seats are up for election)

Last edited by snovalleyhockeyfan: 11-15-2016 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Add'l info.....
Old
11-15-2016, 11:34 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:

Someone explained Russell's connection to the city with..If Messi went to the city of Barcelona and made a request to the city to do XYZ when previously they would not, would they now do it? That is how Big Russell is here. His relationship with Ciara and everything else he does elevates him even more.

Edit: I don't think Beckham has the popularity in Miami compared to Russell in Seattle

Last edited by superdeluxe: 11-15-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old
11-15-2016, 12:49 PM
nwhockeyfan
Pens Fan since '67

Quote:

I have to agree and I don't believe it is cynicism. This is really a no lose situation for #3 in doing this. Good PR imo but I don't see council being swayed one way or another just because RW is now on board.

edit:
I don't see a negative in his involvement in any sense, only positives, but my cynicism, if you will, is directed solely at the city and what it really wants. Hopefully he brings along more people with cache such as his to put some pressure on.

Last edited by nwhockeyfan: 11-16-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Closed Thread