HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If I was perfect, then this would be easy

Old
11-01-2016, 06:33 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

vCash: 500
I love it when my oldest causes drama and then changes his mind before reality kicked him in the walnuts.

Jim Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 07:40 AM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
Welp, might be in the market for a new (used) car here soon. My sister's car is dying and I offered to give her a deal on my mazda 3. I didn't think she'd be interested as its a bit small, but evidently they are.

Issue is, of course, is that I have a preorder on a Tesla Model 3 which I'll be getting in a year and change.

So curious, with these requirements, what would you buy:

Under 20k
2014 or newer
30k miles or less
Mid Sized Sedan or larger
resale value will stay relatively high (as I'll be selling this is under 18 months most likely)

My Current Pick is a 2014 or newer Mazda 6. Given end of year deals, I might even be able to grab a 2016 at that price point.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Welp, might be in the market for a new (used) car here soon. My sister's car is dying and I offered to give her a deal on my mazda 3. I didn't think she'd be interested as its a bit small, but evidently they are.

Issue is, of course, is that I have a preorder on a Tesla Model 3 which I'll be getting in a year and change.

So curious, with these requirements, what would you buy:

Under 20k
2014 or newer
30k miles or less
Mid Sized Sedan or larger
resale value will stay relatively high (as I'll be selling this is under 18 months most likely)

My Current Pick is a 2014 or newer Mazda 6. Given end of year deals, I might even be able to grab a 2016 at that price point.
I think your requirements conflict with themselves a bit if resale is your highest priority. If it isn't, then the rest of this is totes wrong.

If you're just looking for the cheap stop-gap, I'd go for something like a 2010 Accord with something like 50-65k miles on it, buying private if you can. When you go to sell it it's fundamentally the same car in the same mileage "category," whereas if you went with your requirements you're buying a 2 year old, 20k car which is "practically new" and selling a 4 year old, "definitely used" one.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 08:19 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Yea, for a stopgap of a year or so, go find a beater car. Something that will make it across the finish line. Then sell it to a money poor college kid once you have the Tesla. Just my O.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 09:22 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I think your requirements conflict with themselves a bit if resale is your highest priority. If it isn't, then the rest of this is totes wrong.

If you're just looking for the cheap stop-gap, I'd go for something like a 2010 Accord with something like 50-65k miles on it, buying private if you can. When you go to sell it it's fundamentally the same car in the same mileage "category," whereas if you went with your requirements you're buying a 2 year old, 20k car which is "practically new" and selling a 4 year old, "definitely used" one.
Yeah Doak, if you're not keeping it, go a little older so you lose less depreciation.

Civic / Accord / Camry (I think you had a Camry before?) / Altima / Mazda 3.

I've driven the revised Chevy Malibus (2012+) as rentals and would have no qualms driving one for a year or two, but I don't know if that's old enough to avoid a depreciation cliff.

What about a Prius to prepare you for the Tesla?

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 09:28 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras View Post
I'm watching MNF on my tablet in my driveway while chillin in tshirt, jeans and flip flops.
Absolutely gorgeous evening last night where I live. Shorts & T-shirt, cool breeze, low humidity, temp was probably in upper 60s.

Today: 74/55
Wed: 79/57
Thurs: 81/56

Wish I could take vacation...

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 09:30 AM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

Yeah, it's a bit of a struggle between wanting to drive something a tad newer (my mazda 3 is a 2012) and not wanting to pay for a car to depreciate. The only good thing is that whatever I get, I likely won't put many miles on it (probably well under 10k in a year, if that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Yea, for a stopgap of a year or so, go find a beater car. Something that will make it across the finish line. Then sell it to a money poor college kid once you have the Tesla. Just my O.
Essentially when I bought my Mazda 3 two years ago, it was a stop gap to the Tesla Model 3. The more I look at it, the more I'm starting to regret offering my sister the car, though, if it helps them out I'm more than willing to help. I'm certainly not above buying an older car (I drove a 2002 Camry with scrapes down the side of it up to 2 years ago), however, what I don't have is the time to deal with potential mechanical issues you have with older cars.

Old
11-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

My wife paid off the credit cards we used to get her side business up and running. They were interest free until the end of February, so she did a great job paying them off long before interest would hit.

This month she is going to focus on using revenue to increase her inventory.

After that, the next goal is to pay off both of our cars and then trade in my 2013 Kia Soul on something larger and AWD for her. When she loads up her stuff for a party in her Suzuki SX4, it looks like a clown car.

My target date for her to get a new vehicle would be the end of 2Q17 or 3Q17.

She doesn't want to be a minivan driving stepmom, but I'm thinking she might end up with an AWD Toyota Sienna. It will be soooooo easy to load and unload a minivan.

My big concern would be fitting my hockey coach's bag and my son's bag in the SX4 next season.

And speaking of my son and hockey, we were dressed for success for his first game of the year on Sunday

Old
11-01-2016, 10:56 AM
eyjee
the basement

^ Look good play good!

Random life thought:

I'm somewhat in the market for a new computer as a gift to myself post-raise. I'd like to spend a ridiculous amount of money on this one just to set myself up for the next 5 years or so. I've gone back and forth from PC to Mac a bunch of times. Right now for my personal computer, I'm on a Mac again and remembering how much of a joy it is to navigate on them.

The thing is though, if I ever wanted to work from home, there is a component to only the Windows version Microsoft Office that I basically cannot work without; an add-in that can query the Adobe Analytics API and make reporting easier.

It's just funny to me, that this job, a not so important analytics job, necessitates that. Meanwhile, my brothers, who work with much more data than I do, can both get away with having Macs, and can work with any data they have without issue. I also have another friend who just started a data science role at a start up, and they outfit their entire company with Macs.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here, a digital analyst, and needing a PC.

I'm not sure if I fully illustrated here what I was trying to say.

I think my ultimate dream set up, if money wasn't an issue, would be an iMac with a complementary PC laptop.

eyjee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 11:06 AM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
^ Look good play good!

Random life thought:

I'm somewhat in the market for a new computer as a gift to myself post-raise. I'd like to spend a ridiculous amount of money on this one just to set myself up for the next 5 years or so. I've gone back and forth from PC to Mac a bunch of times. Right now for my personal computer, I'm on a Mac again and remembering how much of a joy it is to navigate on them.

The thing is though, if I ever wanted to work from home, there is a component to only the Windows version Microsoft Office that I basically cannot work without; an add-in that can query the Adobe Analytics API and make reporting easier.

It's just funny to me, that this job, a not so important analytics job, necessitates that. Meanwhile, my brothers, who work with much more data than I do, can both get away with having Macs, and can work with any data they have without issue. I also have another friend who just started a data science role at a start up, and they outfit their entire company with Macs.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here, a digital analyst, and needing a PC.

I'm not sure if I fully illustrated here what I was trying to say.

I think my ultimate dream set up, if money wasn't an issue, would be an iMac with a complementary PC laptop.
Just use bootcamp and run windows on your Mac as needed. Or VMware fusion and run windows as a VM.

Old
11-01-2016, 11:14 AM
eyjee
the basement

Quote:
Just use bootcamp and run windows on your Mac as needed. Or VMware fusion and run windows as a VM.
Yeah, thought about this. I'd have to ask the IT guy if that will cooperate with using the external server to remote into the network.

Old
11-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Quote:
Yeah, thought about this. I'd have to ask the IT guy if that will cooperate with using the external server to remote into the network.
Can you remote into your Windows box at work?

I think that is what a lot of people I work with do as they use their personal Macs, even at work, by remoting into their company issued Windows laptops.

Old
11-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
It will.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 11:25 AM
eyjee
the basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Can you remote into your Windows box at work?

I think that is what a lot of people I work with do as they use their personal Macs, even at work, by remoting into their company issued Windows laptops.
Another good idea. When I've narrowed down my choices, I'll talk to IT about best choice.

Well, it'll be the Macbook Pro, I just gotta convince myself to spend the money to get the 16gb of RAM

Hoping to purchase next month as a present to myself. I got my raise yesterday, but it sounds like they'll be paying me a residual on top of next month's paycheck since October's paycheck was at my old salary. At the end of November, I'll get a paycheck for new salary + the difference in New Salary minus Old Salary. That'll be nice and large

Old
11-01-2016, 12:04 PM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

Quote:
Another good idea. When I've narrowed down my choices, I'll talk to IT about best choice.

Well, it'll be the Macbook Pro, I just gotta convince myself to spend the money to get the 16gb of RAM

Hoping to purchase next month as a present to myself. I got my raise yesterday, but it sounds like they'll be paying me a residual on top of next month's paycheck since October's paycheck was at my old salary. At the end of November, I'll get a paycheck for new salary + the difference in New Salary minus Old Salary. That'll be nice and large
You may want to see if they are having deals on the "previous gen" macbook pros. I have a 15'' Retina and don't really see the newest macbook as much of an upgrade other than a newer processor. The 13'' Retina MBP is quite a nice one also.

Old
11-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Gras

Quote:
If you have a VPN that you connect with at work you can use that and install the Microsoft Remote Desktop client from the app store and use that to remote in to your PC or RDS Server. We have a few clients that do that.

Gras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 02:01 PM
eyjee
the basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It will.
Perfect!

Quote:
You may want to see if they are having deals on the "previous gen" macbook pros. I have a 15'' Retina and don't really see the newest macbook as much of an upgrade other than a newer processor. The 13'' Retina MBP is quite a nice one also.
Think I'm gonna be a sheep and go with the new generation Treat myself a bit

EDIT - Wait never mind. These things are a lot more expensive than I thought they were. I don't know why I remembered $1500 and not $1800 + RAM Upgrade. Yeesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras View Post
If you have a VPN that you connect with at work you can use that and install the Microsoft Remote Desktop client from the app store and use that to remote in to your PC or RDS Server. We have a few clients that do that.
Yeah we use like... dell sonicwall netextender (I think it's called) and I have no reason to believe it won't work on a Mac. The thing is though if I'm running Windows on the Mac can I then run the netextender on Windows there as well? Or I'm running netextender on the mac, can I work on a file on the Windows "emulator" and pull it into the Mac version?

Last edited by eyjee: 11-01-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old
11-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
Yeah we use like... dell sonicwall netextender (I think it's called) and I have no reason to believe it won't work on a Mac. The thing is though if I'm running Windows on the Mac can I then run the netextender on Windows there as well? Or I'm running netextender on the mac, can I work on a file on the Windows "emulator" and pull it into the Mac version?
You'd just run it on the Windows side, along with Office.

Old
11-01-2016, 02:31 PM
eyjee
the basement

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834297735

Seems like everything I'd want from the Macbook Pro and $600 cheaper

Old
11-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Gras

Quote:

If you use NewEggs store CC you'll also get 0 interest for a year.

Old
11-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:

That's because with Apple products you'll pay extra just for the name.

Old
11-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Crazy Tasty

I just bought bamboo socks. I didn't know that it was a thing.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 06:11 PM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
That's because with Apple products you'll pay extra just for the name.
OS X >>>>>>>> Windows 7/8/10

Old
11-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
So the argument is that it's fine paying $600 extra for an OS on worse hardware? Have fun with that, I guess.

Old
11-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Gras

Quote:
*nix >>>>>>>> OSX