HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We have a coach, next up... New OT owner. Though that may take months.

Old
11-01-2016, 07:46 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gras View Post
*nix >>>>>>>> OSX
The context here is desktop, so noooope.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Clock

Windows 95.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Tapu Fino
The Juice

vCash: 500
****ing Windows 98

Tapu Fino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Gras

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I'd still rather have *nix on the desktop than OSX, which is probably what I end up doing on my next hardware refresh.

Gras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2016, 10:27 PM
TehDoak
He sure has a

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
So the argument is that it's fine paying $600 extra for an OS on worse hardware? Have fun with that, I guess.
If the OS is a bloated ad delivery service.....whats the point of the best hardware?

Compare a mac mini ($500) to any of the non gaming desktops out there. For a typical desktop user, they hardware difference is negligible with their day to day usage.

To me, the only real use case for a windows desktop is for gaming. That is the one area where Apple's closed eco system will never catch up to a Windows Box

If that is your primary use for your PC....then yes, windows is the best choice. For MOST other use cases, OS X does a better job. Windows 10 has been the last straw for me with MS

Quote:
*nix >>>>>>>> OSX
Quote:
Quote:
I'd still rather have *nix on the desktop than OSX, which is probably what I end up doing on my next hardware refresh.
The lack of desktop software/drivers available in in Debian or RHEL really is what's holding it back. It's also a pretty steep learning curve for the casual users. I work almost exclusively with Linux for my job (as a server, it really is far superior to anything else out there).

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:42 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
^ Look good play good!

Random life thought:

I'm somewhat in the market for a new computer as a gift to myself post-raise. I'd like to spend a ridiculous amount of money on this one just to set myself up for the next 5 years or so. I've gone back and forth from PC to Mac a bunch of times. Right now for my personal computer, I'm on a Mac again and remembering how much of a joy it is to navigate on them.

The thing is though, if I ever wanted to work from home, there is a component to only the Windows version Microsoft Office that I basically cannot work without; an add-in that can query the Adobe Analytics API and make reporting easier.

It's just funny to me, that this job, a not so important analytics job, necessitates that. Meanwhile, my brothers, who work with much more data than I do, can both get away with having Macs, and can work with any data they have without issue. I also have another friend who just started a data science role at a start up, and they outfit their entire company with Macs.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here, a digital analyst, and needing a PC.

I'm not sure if I fully illustrated here what I was trying to say.

I think my ultimate dream set up, if money wasn't an issue, would be an iMac with a complementary PC laptop.
I am largely computer illiterate, but I do know this:

1. I would never pre-spend a raise, even with zero-percent interest, on a non-necessity. But I also recognize that's your choice. Will you still be able to get out of your apartment "on time" of when your lease runs out, if you buy the computer?

2. If your work wants you remoting in for your job, whether out of necessity for them, mandatory off-hours coverage, or convenience for you, they'll provide you some kind of laptop to do it.

Philosophically, it will be a cold day in hell before I'd ever use personal assets for work. Before cell phone minutes were unlimited, I gave my cell number to limited colleagues only, and I took any cell calls from my sales and marketing work colleagues with a reminder they were calling a personal cell phone, and directed them to call my landline.

3. Question for you IT people, because there are so many of you. If you remote in to your work machine from a personal device, what prevents access / "theft" of company information via / onto that personal device? I'm sure the session will be logged, and there will be an IP address for that personal device, but that's not prevention.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:51 AM
silverfish
Not a GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post

1. I would never pre-spend a raise, even with zero-percent interest, on a non-necessity. But I also recognize that's your choice. Will you still be able to get out of your apartment "on time" of when your lease runs out, if you buy the computer?

2. If your work wants you remoting in for your job, whether out of necessity for them, mandatory off-hours coverage, or convenience for you, they'll provide you some kind of laptop to do it.

Philosophically, it will be a cold day in hell before I'd ever use personal assets for work. Before cell phone minutes were unlimited, I gave my cell number to limited colleagues only, and I took any cell calls from my sales and marketing work colleagues with a reminder they were calling a personal cell phone, and directed them to call my landline.

3. Question for you IT people, because there are so many of you. If you remote in to your work machine from a personal device, what prevents access / "theft" of company information via / onto that personal device? I'm sure the session will be logged, and there will be an IP address for that personal device, but that's not prevention.
1. Not sure what you mean by get out on time? We have the lease through the end of May. We also paid a bunch of months upfront because my roommates and I didn't combine to make 40x the monthly rent on salary and we chose not to sign the lease with a guarantor. So we ended up paying two months up front, plus first and last. Since we signed an 18 month lease, we also got a month free. Despite having the lease 'til May, the last month I have to pay rent is January

2. Some employees have a laptop but others do not. I don't. Working from home is more of a "sometimes" option than a want. It's one of the things this company is flexible with and they allow you to do it with the remote set up.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:56 AM
TehDoak
He sure has a

Quote:

A typical RDP session into a company environment is a two step process:

#1. Establish a connection via a VPN. This gives you a secure connection to the machine you are remoting to. This prevents common 'Man in the Middle' style attacks that can pull sensitive information.
#2. A properly setup RDP/Citrix connect should be very one way. Allow you access to take over the keyboard/mouse/monitor, but not allow any file transfers. Copy/Paste often works, but can be disabled. The only thing you really can't defend against would be someone taking screen shots of sensitive documents they had opened on the screen. However, if the stuff you work on is that sensitive...you shouldn't allow employees remote access.

Old
11-02-2016, 07:57 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 08:06 AM
TehDoak
He sure has a

Also:

Old
11-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

vCash: 200
As nerdy as I can be on certain things... When ever you guys get into the computer programming, etc type stuff I always feel like you're speaking Latin.

Also I hope Chicago wins tonight because well it's Cleveland. Can't route for anything from Ohio.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 09:20 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
A typical RDP session into a company environment is a two step process:

#1. Establish a connection via a VPN. This gives you a secure connection to the machine you are remoting to. This prevents common 'Man in the Middle' style attacks that can pull sensitive information.
#2. A properly setup RDP/Citrix connect should be very one way. Allow you access to take over the keyboard/mouse/monitor, but not allow any file transfers. Copy/Paste often works, but can be disabled. The only thing you really can't defend against would be someone taking screen shots of sensitive documents they had opened on the screen. However, if the stuff you work on is that sensitive...you shouldn't allow employees remote access.
Thanks, this is what I thought. I figured someone using a non-company computer, then remote-desktop to work machine, can still do screen shots / snipping tools, etc., and have those captures reside on their personal machine for use/distribtion.

For work, I have company-supplied laptop with 2-factor authentication, VPN/Citrix server utilities, which I'm sure is pretty standard setup for non-heavy-IT users. Personal machines lack those utilities, so I have no means to "test" the above.

Some laptops issued to non-US travelers (don't know about laptops for non-US workers in certain countries) intentionally lack USB ports, but I'm sure there are other ways to "download" / capture information than thru thumb drives.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
Thanks, this is what I thought. I figured someone using a non-company computer, then remote-desktop to work machine, can still do screen shots / snipping tools, etc., and have those captures reside on their personal machine for use/distribtion.

For work, I have company-supplied laptop with 2-factor authentication, VPN/Citrix server utilities, which I'm sure is pretty standard setup for non-heavy-IT users. Personal machines lack those utilities, so I have no means to "test" the above.

Some laptops issued to non-US travelers (don't know about laptops for non-US workers in certain countries) intentionally lack USB ports, but I'm sure there are other ways to "download" / capture information than thru thumb drives.
Nothing stopping you from taking pictures or screen capturing your work laptop, either. True, complete security isn't possible, there's always a way in or around. The plus side is that it typically doesn't matter for most companies, the data available just isn't worth enough to make it worthwhile.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 10:30 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDermott View Post
As nerdy as I can be on certain things... When ever you guys get into the computer programming, etc type stuff I always feel like you're speaking Latin.

Also I hope Chicago wins tonight because well it's Cleveland. Can't route for anything from Ohio.
You could have been a programmer. There was a short time as teenagers that you were doing a few programming things with me and you learned it very quickly and understood it well.

Old
11-02-2016, 12:07 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Anyone who is in charleston and wants to come see us play, we have Citadel and App St. this weekend. Friday and Saturday

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
You could have been a programmer. There was a short time as teenagers that you were doing a few programming things with me and you learned it very quickly and understood it well.
I know. I enjoyed it to a point but drifted away from it a bit and tried to get back into it after a couple years and it just didn't hold my interest. Maybe cause I was lost... Maybe not.

Old
11-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 12:55 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Also:

Here's hoping it doesn't!

In all seriousness though, if the Indians have to lose, it would be cool to see the Cubs snap their drought. I'm hoping for a Cleveland win obviously (even though I recently moved back to Buffalo, gotta root on for Cleveland) but also just a good, close game. This series, outside of games 1 and 6, has had a ton of intrigue and drama. And entirely too much Joe Buck, but I can manage to look past that.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Here's hoping it doesn't!

In all seriousness though, if the Indians have to lose, it would be cool to see the Cubs snap their drought. I'm hoping for a Cleveland win obviously (even though I recently moved back to Buffalo, gotta root on for Cleveland) but also just a good, close game. This series, outside of games 1 and 6, has had a ton of intrigue and drama. And entirely too much Joe Buck, but I can manage to look past that.
The sports world needs balance. So, after the Cavs coming back from 3-1 down it only makes sense if the Tribe chokes after being up 3-1 in the Series.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Gras

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
1. Not sure what you mean by get out on time? We have the lease through the end of May. We also paid a bunch of months upfront because my roommates and I didn't combine to make 40x the monthly rent on salary and we chose not to sign the lease with a guarantor. So we ended up paying two months up front, plus first and last. Since we signed an 18 month lease, we also got a month free. Despite having the lease 'til May, the last month I have to pay rent is January

2. Some employees have a laptop but others do not. I don't. Working from home is more of a "sometimes" option than a want. It's one of the things this company is flexible with and they allow you to do it with the remote set up.
Write it off on your taxes.

Gras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 02:55 PM
sabremike

The Indians blew it by not having Charlie Sheen throw out a first pitch this series. It's the Curse of Ricky Vaughn!!!

sabremike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 05:04 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The sports world needs balance. So, after the Cavs coming back from 3-1 down it only makes sense if the Tribe chokes after being up 3-1 in the Series.

Sports gods are extracting karma for all the 3-1 series lead jokes directed at golden state. To be honest, even most of Cleveland is surprised to be in this position, considering the starting rotation injuries. In Kluber and Tito we trust.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2016, 07:27 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
I know. I enjoyed it to a point but drifted away from it a bit and tried to get back into it after a couple years and it just didn't hold my interest. Maybe cause I was lost... Maybe not.
It's never too late. Learning it now would only cost you time, as there as a metric **** ton of great resources.

Old
11-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
It's never too late. Learning it now would only cost you time, as there as a metric **** ton of great resources.
Maybe I'll look into it after the holiday season at work when I'll actually have time again. I need a new computer come taxes anyways.

Old
11-02-2016, 09:36 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Maybe I'll look into it after the holiday season at work when I'll actually have time again. I need a new computer come taxes anyways.
You might not need to. The world might just end...the Cubbies might actually pull this off!

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote