Expansion draft

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
That's not a reason to waive his NMC. That's fan fantasy talk. It's not real life.

Did anyone catch the insider yesterday on TSN?

I believe they said that Vegas would get a 48 hour window (before expansion draft) to woo and sign pending UFA or RFA. If Vegas signs a player this way they do not select a player from that team in expansion draft. Short on details but it was not mentioned whether matching was possible for RFA's

So vegas could sign Stafford or Copp this way for example. It may force GM's to lock up their RFA's earlier than usual.
I'm assuming RFAs are also subject to both offersheet compensation, and the ability for teams to match, though that hasn't been clarified, as far as I know.

I'm guessing that rule is in place because LV was complaining to the league about the fact that expiring contracts are effectively exempt if they're pending UFAs during the actual draft even if they have a wink/nudge agreement in place for the day after.

I'm not sure that was ever going to be an issue, judging by Perreault as one example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
If Armia keeps playing like he has, I think he will need to be protected. Options are:

1) 4-4 and leave Perreault exposed
2) 4-4 and make a deal with Vegas to not take Armia.
3) 7-3 and move a defenseman for exempt assets (Myers for picks/prospects, Trouba for picks prospects, Enstrom buyout).
I really like how Myers has been playing this year...

Hmm...

Old
10-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

vCash: 50
Fourand4

I wonder if Trouba hadn't signed by the draft and LV wants him maybe we can swing a deal to expose him while getting something in return. That is provided he wants to play there.

LV has a guaranteed top 7 pick that could very easily end up being in the top 3. We could deal Trouba and end up with one of Liljegren, Foote, Brannstrom or Hague. It's not what chevy wants but I wouldn't mind. Or we luck out and get one of Patrick, Vilardi or Hischier.

Last edited by Daximus: 10-28-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Daximus
Old
10-28-2016, 01:46 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 500
The free agent window is kind of sketchy. Could Vegas not come to an agreement in principle with some free agents and officially sign them after the draft? In that case they could take multiple players from a team.

Old
10-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Daximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
The free agent window is kind of sketchy. Could Vegas not come to an agreement in principle with some free agents and officially sign them after the draft? In that case they could take multiple players from a team.
I think they only get that 48 hour window. Talking to players before would be against CBA rules.

Old
10-28-2016, 02:13 PM
10Ducky10

Do the UFAs only talk to Vegas or can they talk to every team?
Kinda unfair if only Vegas gets to chat them up if you ask me.

Old
10-28-2016, 03:20 PM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Fourand4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
Basically Vegas gets to begin negotiation two days before the draft on any unprotected players that do not have contracts for 17/8 season. UFA or RFA. Essentially this allows them to come to an agreement and that is the poayer they take fron your team.

It's really not that big of a deal. For us that is just Stafford, Burmi, Tanev, Dano, Trouba, Postma, Chiarot, Pavs and Copp. Plus a few more plugs.

Maybe we trade Trouba for a guaranteed lottery ball if he'll play in Vegas. They could have him signed two days before the draft.

Last edited by Daximus: 10-28-2016 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Daximus
Old
10-28-2016, 04:47 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Little View Post
I'm assuming RFAs are also subject to both offersheet compensation, and the ability for teams to match, though that hasn't been clarified, as far as I know.

I'm guessing that rule is in place because LV was complaining to the league about the fact that expiring contracts are effectively exempt if they're pending UFAs during the actual draft even if they have a wink/nudge agreement in place for the day after.

I'm not sure that was ever going to be an issue, judging by Perreault as one example.
Unprotected RFA's in the 48 hour window apparently will not be subject to compensation or matching.

Protected RFA's can still be offersheeted in the normal manner with the usual CBA time constraints.

Old
10-28-2016, 05:05 PM
mondo3

Quote:
Unprotected RFA's in the 48 hour window apparently will not be subject to compensation or matching.

Protected RFA's can still be offersheeted in the normal manner with the usual CBA time constraints.
I'm not sure what this implies - if we protect an unsigned UFA Trouba, but Vegas wants him, what would be our compensation?

Old
10-28-2016, 05:57 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
Other teams get their chance starting day 2 of the draft. But unlike Vegas in the window, those teams cannot sign players until July 1.

most players will want to test the market anyway IMO

Old
10-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
I'm not sure what this implies - if we protect an unsigned UFA Trouba, but Vegas wants him, what would be our compensation?
Depends on what AAV he signs for just like any other RFA.

Old
10-29-2016, 08:12 AM
Aavco Cup

Old
10-29-2016, 08:28 AM
Gil Fisher

I don't see this as a very big deal for the Jets. It basically only hurts teams that were hoping to sign their own UFAs before July 1. What it allows for is some roster certainty heading into the Draft for Vegas.

I mentioned the Trouba to Vegas possibility a couple of days ago in the trade thread, but it didn't go over well. I do agree with Aavco when he said that the first draft pick for an Expansion Club is a historic event and it is unlikely that they'd trade it.

Old
10-29-2016, 08:39 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
I don't see this as a very big deal for the Jets. It basically only hurts teams that were hoping to sign their own UFAs before July 1. What it allows for is some roster certainty heading into the Draft for Vegas.

I mentioned the Trouba to Vegas possibility a couple of days ago in the trade thread, but it didn't go over well. I do agree with Aavco when he said that the first draft pick for an Expansion Club is a historic event and it is unlikely that they'd trade it.
What it prevents is a team trying to sneak RFA's through the draft by not extending them or protecting them. I doubt any UFA's are going to sign with Vegas before testing the market. They can always sign with Vegas after July 1st. There's no rush for them. The unprotected RFA's have a chance to change their situation and perhaps get overpaid.

These are current players affected. Hellebuyck is a lock to be protected. What about Tanev or Dano?

Old
10-29-2016, 09:21 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1310
With the emergence of Armia and seeing how high the organization is on Lowry, protecting 7 F and 3 D seems like a real possibility. All dependent on the Trouba situation of course. But with the sky rocketing trajectory of Morrissey, more and more I like the idea of trading him in a package that includes a grade A defenseman prospect that is expansion draft exempt.

Old
10-29-2016, 09:33 AM
truck

Quote:
What it prevents is a team trying to sneak RFA's through the draft by not extending them or protecting them. I doubt any UFA's are going to sign with Vegas before testing the market. They can always sign with Vegas after July 1st. There's no rush for them. The unprotected RFA's have a chance to change their situation and perhaps get overpaid.

These are current players affected. Hellebuyck is a lock to be protected. What about Tanev or Dano?

I can't see this impacting the Jets list much if at all.

Perhaps they extend a guy to prevent the conversation, but I suspect the same players will be exposed.

Old
10-29-2016, 10:52 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
Tanev is a 2 nd year player and would be exempt.

Old
10-29-2016, 11:01 AM
Daximus
Aces Charles

Daximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post

I was thinking that as well but if Trouba would play for them, as an expansion team you either hope the lottery balls go in your favour or you get a young 1st pairing dman right off the hop and sign him long term.
Otherwise you may be picking 7th and might not get that calibre of player.

Last edited by Daximus: 10-29-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old
10-29-2016, 08:17 PM
Jetsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
I don't think the Jets intend to expose Myers considering how the Trouba situation has played out. If they did they would've trade him to keep Trouba in the fold.

I agree with your list but I'd like us to try to get Enstrom to waive his NMC and expose him to protect Myers instead. I don't think Vegas picks Enstrom anyways.

I wish it was 5 forwards and 4 d-men for the 2nd option. The main ones I care about protecting are:

Scheifele
Wheeler
Perreault
Little
Dano

Trouba
Buff
Enstrom
Myers

Losing Armia would suck but it's not the end of the world.
I'd keep Armia 6' 3" over Dano 5' 11" BUT even more I might trade a few draft picks to Las Vegas. 2,3 & 4.

Old
10-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

So I'm going to assume that I missed the loophole with Stuart since no one else mentioned it.

I thought because of his NM clause (or whatever he has) that we would be FORCED to protect him? Making 3 D spots already locked up because of this.

Was there a clarification that changed this?

This would make everyone's lists a lot more difficult to put together!

Old
10-29-2016, 09:27 PM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post
So I'm going to assume that I missed the loophole with Stuart since no one else mentioned it.

I thought because of his NM clause (or whatever he has) that we would be FORCED to protect him? Making 3 D spots already locked up because of this.

Stu has a No Trade, not a No Move.

That's the difference.

Old
10-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post

Stuart doesn't gave a NMC. Only Buff and Enstron do on the Jets.

Suart has a modified NTC.

Old
10-30-2016, 01:22 AM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
Stuart doesn't gave a NMC. Only Buff and Enstron do on the Jets.

Stuart has a modified NTC.
Thanks Truck and Aavco.
I recall this being a huge fear when they first announced the expansion draft.

There's a good chance the resolution of the Trouba situation will have the biggest impact on how we decide to handle this.
Additionally if Lowry and Armia both have really big growth years it could make it tough to stick to the 4 & 4 plan.

If you want some real stress think about the next expansion draft

Old
10-30-2016, 09:57 AM
Jaffray15

Send a message via AIM to Jaffray15 Send a message via MSN to Jaffray15
Can the Jets ask Enstrom to waive his NMC for the expansion draft and leave him unprotected?

Old
10-30-2016, 10:10 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffray15 View Post
Can the Jets ask Enstrom to waive his NMC for the expansion draft and leave him unprotected?
Yes but there is only one logical reason for Enstrom to do it. If he wants to live in Las Vegas.

He negotiated his NMC to give him control. He's not giving that up. This idea that Enstrom would waive for the betterment of the Jets is ludicrous IMO. Enstrom will only waive for the betterment of Enstrom. There's a better chance he would waive at the TD to go to a contender. I doubt he wants to play for an expansion team.

Old
10-31-2016, 01:41 PM
mondo3

I think the idea of asking Enstrom to waive his NM clause is that we hope Vegas does not pick him up due to his age and instead picks up one of our younger forwards or goalies. It benefits Enstrom in that if he is not picked up, the Jet's are a better team (say as to losing a higher rated D like Trouba if we had to leave him unprotected)

Closed Thread