HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryan Berard (merged)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 05:52 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Berard

Last night Kerber asked Pleau if Bryan Berard was an option now or if the Blues would look within. Pleau said they would first need get more info on Al, then would prefer to promote someone from within.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:10 AM
execwrite

It seems like they're sticking to this budget total. The only way to spend new money is to get insurance payments if MacInnis is definitely out for the year I guess.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:11 AM
degroat*

If Pleau gets news that it's serious, I could see Laurie throwing an extra 2 mil into the team.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:58 AM
c-carp

If worst comes to worst and I hope it doesnt, Berard seems like a logical option. I justy have a feeling that this eye injury is going to be it for Al, A detached retina is not a petty injury it is some serious ****. Also apparently he had to have surgery on both eyes.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:19 AM
Frenzy1

How does everyone feel about Backman's Play?

Is he ready to stay w/ the big team? Not saying he will replace Al, but would he help on the PP? Move Pronger to the 1st PP, Backman and Khravonov (When Healthy) on the 2nd...

Backman hasn't looked out of place (Played well against the Aves, cant comment about the others though).

Old
10-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
How does everyone feel about Backman's Play?

Is he ready to stay w/ the big team? Not saying he will replace Al, but would he help on the PP? Move Pronger to the 1st PP, Backman and Khravonov (When Healthy) on the 2nd...

Backman hasn't looked out of place (Played well against the Aves, cant comment about the others though).
I think Backman has looked pretty solid. Nothing earthshattering good or bad, which is just about what you'd want from a young defenseman in his position. He's been more consistent than Jackman has so far; Jackman has been really up and down through games with his decisionmaking and discipline. Backman looks quite serviceable at the moment.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:31 AM
execwrite

I think Backman is ready to stay in the NHL. He needed a year in the AHL to learn the North American game and he bulked up in the offseason.

He's a first-round draft pick with lots of natural talent who just needs time to develop. The injury to MacInnis may be the unfortunate break that gives Backman his chance.

I just hope he doesn't get sent down just because he's the only one who doesn't have to clear waivers.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
I think Backman is ready to stay in the NHL. He needed a year in the AHL to learn the North American game and he bulked up in the offseason.

He's a first-round draft pick with lots of natural talent who just needs time to develop. The injury to MacInnis may be the unfortunate break that gives Backman his chance.

I just hope he doesn't get sent down just because he's the only one who doesn't have to clear waivers.

I have been very much impressed with Backman in the few games that he has played in thus far. He has been assertive with the puck and sound positionally. He should stay with the big club because I think this kid has high end potential. Even in the absence of MacInnis, the Blues are going to have some options on defense.

I disagree with the the assertion that Jackman has played poorly thus far. I think he has looked great and we will see him start to add points to his tough nosed, physical game. He is now the Blues #2 dman.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
I disagree with the the assertion that Jackman has played poorly thus far. I think he has looked great and we will see him start to add points to his tough nosed, physical game. He is now the Blues #2 dman.
I didn't assert that Jackman has been playing poorly; just that he's been rather wild. Getting caught up ice being the biggest thing I've seen. Backman has been solid and fairly consistent. Jackman has made some spotty decisions and has not been what I would call consistent. I imagine he's been given some free reign by Q to try and be offensive this year and that's generally going to have us see some growing pains as Jackman begins to round out his game. I don't think Jackman has been poor, but he hasn't been solid by my definition either. I'd like to see him tighten it up a bit in his own end personally because I know he can do it.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:14 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
I didn't assert that Jackman has been playing poorly; just that he's been rather wild. Getting caught up ice being the biggest thing I've seen. Backman has been solid and fairly consistent. Jackman has made some spotty decisions and has not been what I would call consistent. I imagine he's been given some free reign by Q to try and be offensive this year and that's generally going to have us see some growing pains as Jackman begins to round out his game. I don't think Jackman has been poor, but he hasn't been solid by my definition either. I'd like to see him tighten it up a bit in his own end personally because I know he can do it.
The Caps goal last night was scored for this exact reason.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:33 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Jackman got caught up ice on a gamely basis the first half of last season. But in the second half, dropped that totally from his game. Maybe he'll remember that and drop that part from his game. He has been carrying it into the zone, something alot of forwards cant do. And if youve got the opening why not, just make sure you can get back or someone will cover your tail.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:42 AM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I thought it was scored because it was a wicked backhand that clearly beat Osgood, despite having Doug Weight draped all over him.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:57 AM
Epoch

What about Dimitry Yushkevich? He played for years here in Toronto and would be a nice addition to the Blues.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:02 PM
DrHockeyMD

Berard to STL?

BERARD CAMP CONTACTS WINGS, BLUES.

TSN.CA: reports the agent for free agent blueliner Bryan Berard has contacted the Detroit Red Wings and St. Louis Blues regarding a potential job for his client. The Wings lost defenceman Derian Hatcher for 4-6 months to a knee injury and the Blues have lost defenceman Al MacInnis for potentially the remainder of the season due to eye surgery. Agent Tom Laidlaw says he's held some talks with both clubs but nothing is imminent. The Wings are very deep on the blueline, while the Blues don't wish to add to their payroll right now.

via Spectors, TSN.ca

Old
10-20-2003, 08:12 PM
JWB

vCash:
According to this article, the Wings have already said no to Berard.

Quote:
The Wings were offered free-agent D Bryan Berard by his agent Tom Laidlaw after they lost D Derian Hatcher for 4-6 months Friday, but they told him no thanks. Next call: St. Louis ...

Old
10-20-2003, 08:43 PM
c-carp

If worst comes to worst with Al, I think it would be a no brainer for the Blues to look at Berard. I think they are just being cautious and seeing what they have.

If MacInnis eye injury is as serious as it seems, I could see Berard in STL very easily.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:24 AM
H.M.D.

Just say no to Berard. He is a defensive liability with 2 good eyes let alone one. Anyone who watched Boston last year knows he is only good on the PP.

A much better idea would be to sign Yushkevish to take over most of Mac's minutes and use Backman in place of him on the PP.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Hyped

What about bringing Tverdovsky back from overseas? I think he'd be a better option than Berard...

Old
10-21-2003, 09:46 AM
Frenzy1

We do have two guys getting ready to return. Walker should be available soon (groin) and Sal who is skating w/ the team is about a week away.

No point in bringing in another D man at this time. (I do wonder when a good time would be to bring on an Offensive D man - because signing one of the available D would require time to get that person into game shape).

Old
10-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M.D.
Just say no to Berard. He is a defensive liability with 2 good eyes let alone one. Anyone who watched Boston last year knows he is only good on the PP.

A much better idea would be to sign Yushkevish to take over most of Mac's minutes and use Backman in place of him on the PP.
You were wrong about Yushkevitch at STLToday, and you're wrong here, too.

PB

Old
10-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Nick Blue

I was thinking Tverdosky too. He is still quite young and very underrated. And slick as hell with the puck.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:00 PM
DaBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
I was thinking Tverdosky too. He is still quite young and very underrated. And slick as hell with the puck.
Are there any restrictions to how many games he can play in Russia and still be able to come back to the NHL??

Old
10-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBo_Bleeds_Blue
Are there any restrictions to how many games he can play in Russia and still be able to come back to the NHL??

Dont know.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:21 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBo_Bleeds_Blue
I'm pretty sure he's got it written in his current contract that he is able to come back to the NHL if offered a certain amount of money (no matter how many games played). The amount? I'm not sure...

Old
10-23-2003, 06:07 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M.D.

Why does everyone seem to have such an awful opinion of Berard's defensive play? I'll admit, he'll never confused with a Ken Daneyko or a Chris Pronger, but his defensive play last year I thought was much improved over his years in Toronto.
Berard wouldn't hurt the team too much defensively, and is a great rushing defenseman (maybe it's the blazing down the ice that people worry about), so I don't think you can really lose. If Mac really is done, would it be that bad to have a defenseman that can move like Berard and eat up 22+ minutes if needed?

Closed Thread