HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryan Berard (merged)

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 05:47 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
The team's budget may only allow for one addition this year. The Blues may need a veteran scoring winger in March. Who knows?

It's too early to use up the last bullet right now.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:53 PM
Frenzy1

Glad to see I am not the last person up...

Exec. I think the Blues may not have a choice. Our D corps are pretty much destroyed and we may need someone to step in IF jackman is gone for a long period. (Based on having good motion in his are and stregnth) let just hope he gets back quickly).

W/ the Western Conference as strong as it is, the Blues can't afford wo wait 20 games to get him back. They may be too far out of the playoffs.

Besides, there is always March, a time where plenty of personell will be available for the right price, and we wont have to spend $$ for the year.

Old
10-24-2003, 03:51 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Glad to see I am not the last person up...

Exec. I think the Blues may not have a choice. Our D corps are pretty much destroyed and we may need someone to step in IF jackman is gone for a long period. (Based on having good motion in his are and stregnth) let just hope he gets back quickly).

W/ the Western Conference as strong as it is, the Blues can't afford wo wait 20 games to get him back. They may be too far out of the playoffs.

Besides, there is always March, a time where plenty of personell will be available for the right price, and we wont have to spend $$ for the year.
Don't agree that the D is destroyed. Salvador, Khavanov, Walker and Laflamme will be back soon. No time to panic now.

Old
10-24-2003, 03:55 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Of those that you listed, only Salvador (& maybe Walker) is expected back soon. Khavanov could be 4 more weeks.. same w/ Laflamme.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Tverdovsky is a non-issue. Because of the transfer agreements between the NHL and the IIHF, he could only play a maximum of 9 games and still come back. He's over that. There's also issues regarding transfer payments based on his contract but again - he's played more than 9 games so he's there all year long and can't return to the NHL until '04-05.

10-24-2003, 10:03 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
Of those that you listed, only Salvador (& maybe Walker) is expected back soon. Khavanov could be 4 more weeks.. same w/ Laflamme.
From the story I read Khavanov traveled with the team on this trip and was supposed to be practicing with them. He could be back next week.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:45 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Tverdovsky is a non-issue. Because of the transfer agreements between the NHL and the IIHF, he could only play a maximum of 9 games and still come back. He's over that. There's also issues regarding transfer payments based on his contract but again - he's played more than 9 games so he's there all year long and can't return to the NHL until '04-05.
It is writen into his contract that he can return. The transfer agreements are thereby negated and it becomes a matter of money, more importantly the amount of money being paid to him in his new contract. Tverdovsky is a much better option than Berard for one reason and one reason only: He is a right handed shot. We were in need of another one of those anyway.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:24 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
It is writen into his contract that he can return. The transfer agreements are thereby negated and it becomes a matter of money, more importantly the amount of money being paid to him in his new contract. Tverdovsky is a much better option than Berard for one reason and one reason only: He is a right handed shot. We were in need of another one of those anyway.
I'm surprised that in a thread involving people shuddering about an offensive defenseman, no one has completely screamed about a wanna-be offensive defenseman. Tverdovsky was downright atrocious last year. That's pretty bad if you can't learn defense in Jersey. I would want nothing to do with Tverdovsky.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:27 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
I'm surprised that in a thread involving people shuddering about an offensive defenseman, no one has completely screamed about a wanna-be offensive defenseman. Tverdovsky was downright atrocious last year. That's pretty bad if you can't learn defense in Jersey. I would want nothing to do with Tverdovsky.
I agree, the Blues play a defence 1st system much like Jersey and If Tverdovski couldnt hack it there I would just as soon take a pass on him.

Old
10-26-2003, 05:31 AM
Felix

Send a message via ICQ to Felix
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
The team's budget may only allow for one addition this year. The Blues may need a veteran scoring winger in March. Who knows?

It's too early to use up the last bullet right now.
That's pretty much my thought.
If Mac is out for more than 30 games then his insurance clicks. That mean Blues could save up to 4-4 million.
If I were Pleau, I'be petient and wait of our defensive core can have it's work done. Overall even without Mac I do think that Blues have very decent core of both offencive (Pronger, Khavanov, Backman) and stay-at home defensmen (Salvador, Jackman, Baron, Finley, Walker, Laflamme). I hope Backman would be given his chance. From what I've heard he's been solid so far.

So, if our defense would not need some help then those money from Mac's insurance could be spent to get a veteran winger for Weight. If in that trade for winger Blues would need to pick up around 2-3 million of salary then taking into account Melanby's retirement after this season (2 millio saved) the acquired winger could be kept.

Anyway, I beleive that Pleau would make big trade only near trade deadline to save money.

Closed Thread