HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What Happened to Higgins???!!

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2006, 11:20 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

vCash: 500
What Happened to Higgins???!!

I heard something about being injured in practice and it could be season ending!!

*** happened and what is his prognosis!

This season started out soooo well with Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, then Julien killed their confidence and now injuires!!!

No wonder we can never develop a player like Svatos... we play them on the crap lines for 5 minutes and expect the world from them!

Our future in not with Zednik (barf) on the first two lines, it's living with the kids and their mistakes. As long as they give it an effort....keep playing them!!!

Old
01-22-2006, 11:21 AM
HABit

All I know is that it is a groin injury.

Old
01-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Namso

All three of our promising rookies (pleks, higgs, perez) weren't in the lineup last night for one reason or another. man i am so depressed...

Old
01-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan
I heard something about being injured in practice and it could be season ending!! *** happened and what is his prognosis!
How a groin injury could be diagnosed as being season ending the same day it happened??? Who started that rumor that it was season ending anyway??? How come nobody talks about it???

Old
01-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Kostitsin was the best player on the ice last night for Montreal IMO

Old
01-22-2006, 12:29 PM
MightyPleky*

Send a message via MSN to MightyPleky*
OOps. For the season ending .. i .. i was joking

Shame on me, i know

Old
01-22-2006, 12:34 PM
CGG

Quote:
No wonder we can never develop a player like Svatos... we play them on the crap lines for 5 minutes and expect the world from them!
Higgins has played over ten minutes in every one of his last 22 games, so quit complaining. The reason we can't develop a Svatos is that we don't have a Svatos.

Old
01-22-2006, 02:04 PM
phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
Higgins has played over ten minutes in every one of his last 22 games, so quit complaining. The reason we can't develop a Svatos is that we don't have a Svatos.
we sure have players like stavos... we just keep 'em in a closet in Hamilton because they are too offensive for our D oriented team... it is also the main reason why we've been losing for the last 10 years

Old
01-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
We actualy developed a Ryder and while he aint no Svatos 20 goals in 45 games ain't too shaby either (considering the somophore slump). He is second in pts in the team granted he did play more games then Koivu but still I am pleased with his development. I also think he will get better.

Also while Higgins is no Svatos I must admit that he was one of the better player on the ice in the last 10 games that he played. He will not give you 100pts a season but he is a fierce competitor. With Plekanek coming back I think the team will look better.

BTW, its funny that no one raised the fact that the loosing streak started when Plek got injurred. He was a spark plug for most of the beguinning of the year IMO.

Old
01-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
The reason we can't develop a Svatos is that we don't draft players like Svatos. We all know that higher than maybe the 3rd round it's definately a crapshoot. Though I would prefer ''crapshooting'' on a 5'7'' sniper and fast as hell than a 30 year old Russian or a 6'4'' tower that has no hockey sense and can't move his feet, as is he would then be able to totally change within the next 2 years.......

It could be luck but I'm sure it's more than that and it just demonstrates our scouts' talents even though last year drafting seemed to be more accurate though we still not know about it.

Old
01-22-2006, 03:18 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
The reason we can't develop a Svatos is that we don't draft players like Svatos. We all know that higher than maybe the 3rd round it's definately a crapshoot. Though I would prefer ''crapshooting'' on a 5'7'' sniper and fast as hell
In the fourth round last summer we drafted Juraj Mikus. A 6ft tall, fast, offense-first, type of player. In 2004's fourth round, we drafted Mikhail Grabovsky: A 5'9" high-flying offensive dynamo.

Please double check your facts before whining that the Habs aren't doing what other teams are doing.

Old
01-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
In the fourth round last summer we drafted Juraj Mikus. A 6ft tall, fast, offense-first, type of player. In 2004's fourth round, we drafted Mikhail Grabovsky: A 5'9" high-flying offensive dynamo.

Please double check your facts before whining that the Habs aren't doing what other teams are doing.
Please triple check the fact that first we were talking about Svatos who already has an impact on the league, the others we don't know YET so how could you compare an NHL player with prospects you don't even know if they'll make it is beyond me. And please quadruple check the fact that my references were made, if you didn't understand, mostly regarding the last 3 rounds of our drafts since Svatos was picked on the 7th round.

Old
01-22-2006, 03:32 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!

BTW, its funny that no one raised the fact that the loosing streak started when Plek got injurred. He was a spark plug for most of the beguinning of the year IMO.
The loosing streak started a lot before Plekanec got injured ..

It was more when Zednik came back ; they won few games that they didn't deserve to win , and after the loosing streak started .

May be someone could hit Zednik in the legs , with an 3 inches diameter iron stick . We will see if the team start to win ...
What is the name of this figures skater of the USA ?

Old
01-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Please triple check the fact that first we were talking about Svatos who already has an impact on the league, the others we don't know YET so how could you compare an NHL player with prospects you don't even know if they'll make it is beyond me. And please quadruple check the fact that my references were made, if you didn't understand, mostly regarding the last 3 rounds of our drafts since Svatos was picked on the 7th round.
"We don't Draft Players like Svatos"

Sergei Kostitsyn 7th round 200th pick overall

hmm so far so good... Sergei's seems to be ahead of svatos in terms of talent, ability and stats at the same age...

so was perezhogin (although yeah not a 7th rounder)

and kostitsyn

and plecanek

we have players who have better abilities....

we draft better players than svatos

why perezhogin isn't doing as good? isn't it obvious? he's not gotten the same chance

will andrei get it? chris? sergei? who's to know...the way our organizations been for EONS is to rot the youngins...

Last edited by Ape Clutch: 01-22-2006 at 03:50 PM.
Old
01-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West
And???? The impact in the NHL is???? And I wouldn't compare Kosty Junior and Svatos in terms of scoring ability and pure dynamo skater. Even though he has a good season so far even though most of his points are in PP (though we will need those types of players anyway) anyone here, Montreal included, ever compared Kosty Jr play to Svatos. Junior is more a two-way nose dirty player, Svatos pure sniper. No comparison there.

Though I agree, Svatos topic not included, that pick seems to be a hell of pick!!!

Don't get me wrong, I still hope Mikus, Grabo and Kost turned out the way we want them to be, but they are still projects....And my comparisons were made in a way that as of TODAY we didn't pick a player in late rounds with Svatos caliber that have an impact already.

Players that we picked in later rounds since 1995 that played in the NHL:

Stéphane Robidas
Brett Clark
Michael Ryder (Nice steal!!!)
Andrei Markov (Nice steal!!!)
Jonathan Ferland
Mark Streit

2 steals in 10 years and if you include the numerous 1st rounds busts you now know why we are still in reconstruction.....

But hoping we will be able to add some names in that steal section very soon....

Old
01-22-2006, 03:59 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:

hmm so far so good... Sergei's seems to be ahead of svatos in terms of talent, ability and stats at the same age...

and kostitsyn

and plecanek

why perezhogin isn't doing as good? isn't it obvious? he's not gotten the same chance

will andrei get it? chris? sergei? who's to know...the way our organizations been for EONS is to rot the youngins...

Old
01-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:

and kostitsyn

and plecanek

At the same time, I will NEVER doubt that you speak the truth when saying that our guys do not have the same chance. You could be sure that even though we would've pick Bergeron, he would NEVER have played in the NHL in his first season so who knows what it would have done to his progression.

As far as players better than Svatos you can't say they are right now since they havent done a iota of what Svatos did already all of them together.

But again I'm a huge fan of Pleks, Kost and Perez and hope Kost Jr. will become the steal I'm always talking about. But Svatos was chosen in the 7th 'cause he was small and didn't seem to any idea on where his defensive zone was....Pleks was already a good 2-way player as well as Kost Jr. As far as Kost Senior, well I do think too that he ''could'' become better than Svatos but we can only base ourselves with facts and as of now, Svatos is the best.

Old
01-22-2006, 04:09 PM
All-Star

Quote:
You don't know the meaning of crapshoot do you? And you did say higher than the 3rd round, not the last three rounds...

Old
01-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
You don't know the meaning of crapshoot do you?
I believe that you still can prepare adequately this crapshoot. I will be more wiiling to draft a super faster pure sniper who has no idea where hiz defensive zone is then a 30 year old russian who I'm sure they even think about asking him if he would come here or a 6'4 pylon that, and it was obvious to some posters that know way more than me, that it wasn't a good pick. How come, in that crapshoot, the Sens produced 25 players in 10 years most in later rounds and better ones, than our 14 players mostly in middle rounds and average in talent(except Markov, Ryder and Vokoun).

So if it's only luck and pure gamble, how come they hire so many scouts to do extensive reports on tons of players and not only their 1st or 2nd rounders???? Just take the ISS Report or McKeen and go from there. So I believe it's a liitle more than crapshoot, let's call it Organized Crapshooting......

As far as I said higher than 3rd rounds, what I wanted to say was even though higher than the 3rd you begin to take more chances, I still don't understand why you would lose a pick over a 30 year old like Ujcik or a d-men like Dulac with no chance at all, as far as the reports and some posters here were saying. Those examples are from the last rounds of our drafts....

Old
01-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Rahan

So, what happened to Higgins?

Old
01-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan
Sorry....my bad...I kinda got carried away with this whole drafting issue.....and I'm a little pissed about yesterday as well...

To answer your question....euh....I don't know but it can't be season ending since this was a joke.....No news so far from RDS or TSN or the Forecaster as far as in the Movements section....

Old
01-22-2006, 04:33 PM
phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan
I guess we'll never know...

all I know is that it's a groin injury... pretty similar to the one Koivu had earlier... maybe a week or two...

Old
01-22-2006, 05:05 PM
All-Star

Quote:
why you would lose a pick over a 30 year old like Ujcik or a d-men like Dulac
Maybe the Habs scouts saw some good good elements in both those player's play, and they were hoping that Dulac would somehow fix his problems (no one wanted Latendresse because of his skating, but...), and Ujcik was probably a depth move like Streit (the Streit gamble appears to have paid off, where the Ujick gamble didn't). Both gambles were probably just as calculated as Colorado's Svatos pick, but Colorado got lucky where the Habs didn't. That doesn't mean the Habs didn't try. If the Habs really didn't care about low picks, why wouldn't they trade them away to move up their higher picks?
Quote:
with no chance at all, as far as the reports and some posters here were saying.
The posters here don't know everything.

Lets put it this way. Back after the 2004 draft, Blind Guardien who's very knowlegeable when it comes to drafting prospects, was convinced Chipchura was the worst possible pick. In fact in his signature he had grouped Chipchura with our past WHL first round busts like Matt Higgins. Since then, Chipchura has averaged about a point a game, and he captained Team Canada to a gold medal in the WJCs. He also had the mental toughness to come back from a potentially career ending injury in time for his team's playoff run where he excelled. Chipchura is turning into a much more solid prospect then Blind Guardien had originally thought. Now BG may still turn out as having been right, but the odds are looking as if he wasn't. And for the record, I wanted Korpikoski in that draft...

Old
01-22-2006, 05:17 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
I heard something about being injured in practice and it could be season ending!!

bad try ...

Old
01-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Maybe the Habs scouts saw some good good elements in both those player's play, and they were hoping that Dulac would somehow fix his problems (no one wanted Latendresse because of his skating, but...), and Ujcik was probably a depth move like Streit (the Streit gamble appears to have paid off, where the Ujick gamble didn't). Both gambles were probably just as calculated as Colorado's Svatos pick, but Colorado got lucky where the Habs didn't. That doesn't mean the Habs didn't try. If the Habs really didn't care about low picks, why wouldn't they trade them away to move up their higher picks?The posters here don't know everything.

Lets put it this way. Back after the 2004 draft, Blind Guardien who's very knowlegeable when it comes to drafting prospects, was convinced Chipchura was the worst possible pick. In fact in his signature he had grouped Chipchura with our past WHL first round busts like Matt Higgins. Since then, Chipchura has averaged about a point a game, and he captained Team Canada to a gold medal in the WJCs. He also had the mental toughness to come back from a potentially career ending injury in time for his team's playoff run where he excelled. Chipchura is turning into a much more solid prospect then Blind Guardien had originally thought. Now BG may still turn out as having been right, but the odds are looking as if he wasn't. And for the record, I wanted Korpikoski in that draft...
Good post, and for the record and since I do not know more than anybody else here and only based on what I've read though I read a lot, I wanted Mike Green with our pick. Chipper is a nice prospect but we just begin to realize that we are very poor regarding our d-men prospects, though we hope O'Byrne, Emelin even Korpikari could become good d-men, and I'm sure Green would have been a very good asset as well.

I agree that posters here don't know everything but I have a tough time with people that say that management knows better because they have the position they are in, if they know better, they should be able to draft better or at least, play the rookies more in order to not affect their confidence.

Closed Thread