HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I Would Trade Koivu

View Poll Results: ?
Trade Him 38 22.35%
Re-sign long-term 93 54.71%
Finish the season and worry about it later 39 22.94%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2006, 04:45 PM
jcpenny

vCash: 500
Once again Habs fans panicking and big time! Keep Koivu till you draft somebody who will be ready to replace him in 3-4 years. Besides, hes far from being the problem, the real problem his between the pipes and the D.

- Goaltending: Huet is steadier than the 5 million dollar man,

- When you have a core of Streit, Bouillon, Dandenault you're in trouble. We need proven NHL-Size D-men.

- Komi will get there, Habs should not give up unless some team offers a guy like Shea Weber in return.

Old
01-22-2006, 04:57 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
This is absolutely absurd.
I can't believe people are giving up on the playoffs already. This is unreal.

And if you're not giving up on the playoffs, why on earth would we trade our best player and the only player that gives 100% every game?

Koivu is NOT the problem and never has been. Yzerman wouldn't have got us past the second round in the last 10 years (and even to the palyoffs most of those year) with the trash we had on our team. Get over it.

Also, even if we weren't going to make the playoffs, we have one of the youngest teams in the NHL. Those kids need veterans to show them how it works in the NHL. Trading away one of our only veterans, a leader, and pretty much the best example of work ethic (along with Begin and Bouillon) that we have on this team is not going to make us better now or in the future.

I can't get over the crap I read on here. Job well done Mr Demers.

Old
01-22-2006, 05:32 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
Problem with Saks is the same problem are d-men are face with. They don't play the role they are suppose to play. He should be no better than a 2nd centerman.

As far as the ''C'' is concerned, it depends of what you want to see in a Captain, but if you do want a Yakkity-Yak type of a guy, give him two ''A'' that speaks loudly and then let Saks do his job on the ice and show by example. You then have the best of both worlds.
i agree .

This team isn't as worst as we see it ; it's only that there are to much players that are playing a role that is too big . Find a good d-man and a center #1 that isn't injury prone , and already you 've get a different team .
Problem is to get those players !

Old
01-22-2006, 05:52 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
i agree .

This team isn't as worst as we see it ; it's only that there are to much players that are playing a role that is too big . Find a good d-man and a center #1 that isn't injury prone , and already you 've get a different team .
Problem is to get those players !
You mention injury prone every single time you breathe the name saku.....take a look at the number 1 centers of the NHL and find me one who has played 82 games 2 years in a row .

Enough with the injury prone BS . Saku is the heart of this team , He and Begin are the ONLY players who show up EVERY game ... Bulis and Bouillon could be mentioned as well

If players are to be traded I think we should be looking at the likes of Ribeiro , Sundstrom , Zednik who have all shown incredible laziness and brain farts

Old
01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Sign him long-term. He deserves to be a career Hab, and we should count ourselves lucky to have him.

Oh sure, you can say that "if so-and-so-brain-cramped team comes along and offers us gaudy 1st round picks and superstar prospects, then go ahead and trade him..." but that's pretty pointless. Best thing we probably get is on the order of what the Rangers got for Kovalev, right? 2nd round pick and Josef Balej? Or Fleischmanns or Aulins or etc, etc, it's those kind of prospects that get traded typically for deadline rentaplayers, not so much the superstar candidates. So really, there's not much point in saying you'd be willing to trade Koivu, but only for an unrealistic return.

Bottom line, Koivu means more to us than anything we'd get in a trade, hence he should be deemed totally untouchable, and the issue should never even be brought up.

Old
01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

If the Habs are out of the playoffs at deadline time...I think the Preds should\would be very interested in Koivu.

Marek Zidlicky and any one of:

Timofei Shishkanov
OR
Kevin Klein
OR
Teemu Laakso
OR
Brian Finley

or...if you want to go for a top flight prospect...

Ryan Parent or Scottie Upshall, straight up.

Old
01-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Not giving up on Koivu. Just if we fall out of playoff spot.....we can always resign him next summer if we get something good to rent him

Old
01-22-2006, 06:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Not giving up on Koivu. Just if we fall out of playoff spot.....we can always resign him next summer if we get something good to rent him

Isn't he UFA this summer?

Old
01-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
If the Habs are out of the playoffs at deadline time...I think the Preds should\would be very interested in Koivu.

Marek Zidlicky and any one of:

Timofei Shishkanov
OR
Kevin Klein
OR
Teemu Laakso
OR
Brian Finley

or...if you want to go for a top flight prospect...

Ryan Parent or Scottie Upshall, straight up.

Exhibit A of why we won't be trading Koivu.

Old
01-22-2006, 06:33 PM
clvmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
This is something I've been mulling over for a while. But I think now is the time to trade Koivu, assuming he could get a good prospect and a draft pick like most good rentals can. There's a lot of demand already for Jokinen and Weight, and Koivu is roughly equivalent in value.

Why would I do this? One, because I'm starting to wonder about his leadership. Maybe he's not a bad leader, but something is clearly not working with him as captain. The slump leading up to the Julien firing, the rumours about divided locker-room running on several years now, and then the particularly bad team habit of not showing for the first period of big games. Some of that has to fall on his shoulders. A captain has to do more.

Two, because he's still a good player to a playoff team who could bring a good return. Relatedly, I'm not sure that he's worth re-signing for the long term. There are the injuries, so-so production for a top center, and the leadership question. I don't see the Habs rising to contendership with him as a 4million dollar captain for the next 4-5 years.

Anyway, I know people will protest, but it just seems to be the better option for the long-term.
No protest here....trade him now, while we can get a good return.

Old
01-22-2006, 06:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Losco
Exhibit A of why we won't be trading Koivu.

Want to trade, not want to trade...but don't make for a second like it wasn't a good offer. Zidlicky is one of the best offensive defensemen in the league, has consistently been in the top ten, if not top FIVE, since coming to north american in defensive points. Incidentally, he has the same amount of points as Koivu right now, with only two fewer goals. Factor in that the Preds would be throwing in not a BLUECHIP prospect, but still some almost surefire-NHL guys...I think you're a little quick to dismiss the offer.

Old
01-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Want to trade, not want to trade...but don't make for a second like it wasn't a good offer. Zidlicky is one of the best offensive defensemen in the league, has consistently been in the top ten, if not top FIVE, since coming to north american in defensive points. Incidentally, he has the same amount of points as Koivu right now, with only two fewer goals. Factor in that the Preds would be throwing in not a BLUECHIP prospect, but still some almost surefire-NHL guys...I think you're a little quick to dismiss the offer.
No, not the worst offer I have ever seen but refer to Blind Gardien's post.

People here need to stop taking what they hear on TV and in the media as some sort of sacred information. It's an opinion. (and it's usually wrong)

Most here probably couldn't even name Nashville or Calgary's first line center. Those teams must be crap.

Old
01-22-2006, 06:53 PM
BlueBlancRouge

Quote:
This is something I've been mulling over for a while. But I think now is the time to trade Koivu, assuming he could get a good prospect and a draft pick like most good rentals can. There's a lot of demand already for Jokinen and Weight, and Koivu is roughly equivalent in value.

Why would I do this? One, because I'm starting to wonder about his leadership. Maybe he's not a bad leader, but something is clearly not working with him as captain. The slump leading up to the Julien firing, the rumours about divided locker-room running on several years now, and then the particularly bad team habit of not showing for the first period of big games. Some of that has to fall on his shoulders. A captain has to do more.

Two, because he's still a good player to a playoff team who could bring a good return. Relatedly, I'm not sure that he's worth re-signing for the long term. There are the injuries, so-so production for a top center, and the leadership question. I don't see the Habs rising to contendership with him as a 4million dollar captain for the next 4-5 years.

Anyway, I know people will protest, but it just seems to be the better option for the long-term.

real good Idea...let's trade the only guy (other then Begin) that puts forth any type of effort game after game....Get rid of Theodore Dandenault Zednik Ribeiro...

Make a deal with NYI TO Montreal: Satan DiPietro Sopel and a 1st round pick
to NYI: Komiserek Theodore Ribeiro Zednik

Old
01-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
First , this board have rules concerning the use of insulting words ...go to read them.

second , Saku is the heart and soul of a our team, yes, but that team is going nowhere, so ...
This team was going nowhere in 2002/03 when Saku had a 71 pt season. Was it just as "good" of an idea to trade him then?

Old
01-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Sens Rule

Trade him to the Sens!

Old
01-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Bleh.

For the right offer, anyone on the team is tradeable right now. However, the guy who would require the best offer, outside of Andrei Markov (and perhaps Michael Ryder) for us to move, would be Saku Koivu.

The guy is much more valuable to us than anything we could get in a trade for him. He's an icon here, the city loves him, and he loves the city. He bleeds blue-blanc-rouge. You can criticize him as a Captain all you want. That's not a reason to dump him. He is quite possibly our top forward overall (I would put him on a level with Kovalev), and sets a good example for our youngsters.

Ladies and gentlemen, there are a lot of problems with our hockey team right now. Saku Koivu is not a problem. So unless some team is willing to pony up a king's ransome for him, he'll stay put.

Old
01-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player
ok... lol
Yeah funny, Ryder is just a 30 goals scorer who's 25 years old and he would probably be a 40 goal scorer playing on a team with a good center.

Old
01-22-2006, 07:17 PM
AD

I'd consider NoMoreKids's offer... Zidlicky plus a prospect, for a UFA rental... no problem.

Old
01-22-2006, 10:34 PM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule
Trade him to the Sens!
Honestly...I would consider starting to cheer for the Sens....over the Habs...

Old
01-22-2006, 10:35 PM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
I'd consider NoMoreKids's offer... Zidlicky plus a prospect, for a UFA rental... no problem.
Ya, I might actually consider that as well but Nashville would be largely overpaying for a UFA rental if they did that.

Old
01-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Sign him long-term. He deserves to be a career Hab, and we should count ourselves lucky to have him.

Oh sure, you can say that "if so-and-so-brain-cramped team comes along and offers us gaudy 1st round picks and superstar prospects, then go ahead and trade him..." but that's pretty pointless. Best thing we probably get is on the order of what the Rangers got for Kovalev, right? 2nd round pick and Josef Balej? Or Fleischmanns or Aulins or etc, etc, it's those kind of prospects that get traded typically for deadline rentaplayers, not so much the superstar candidates. So really, there's not much point in saying you'd be willing to trade Koivu, but only for an unrealistic return.

Bottom line, Koivu means more to us than anything we'd get in a trade, hence he should be deemed totally untouchable, and the issue should never even be brought up.
Why do you keep stealing my opinions like that ! Again, agreed word for word.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien

I nearly always agree with you, but this is exaggerating. Fleischmann was a throw-in for a guy under the weight of a big contract. Aulin was traded (for the second time in his career) for Carter. Balej was a scouting staff choice even though they had the choice of Plekanec and Higgins (IIRC), either of which would have been a pretty good return for NY. On the other hand, Ottawa twice dealt their previous year's first rounder for rentals who bring much less than Koivu.

If Koivu were on the market, there would be several teams interested. A few teams need only a good veteran center to make them contenders. I think he's even more attractive than Jokinen and Weight, neither of whom are really available (yet) anyway. The quality drops sharply after that. Koivu would be a rare jewel in a pile of rentals.

The circumstances for a great return are there. It would be foolish of Gainey to not at least look into it before he commits big money multi-year to Koivu.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:30 AM
fufonzo

Quote:
I nearly always agree with you, but this is exaggerating. Fleischmann was a throw-in for a guy under the weight of a big contract. Aulin was traded (for the second time in his career) for Carter. Balej was a scouting staff choice even though they had the choice of Plekanec and Higgins (IIRC), either of which would have been a pretty good return for NY. On the other hand, Ottawa twice dealt their previous year's first rounder for rentals who bring much less than Koivu.

If Koivu were on the market, there would be several teams interested. A few teams need only a good veteran center to make them contenders. I think he's even more attractive than Jokinen and Weight, neither of whom are really available (yet) anyway. The quality drops sharply after that. Koivu would be a rare jewel in a pile of rentals.

The circumstances for a great return are there. It would be foolish of Gainey to not at least look into it before he commits big money multi-year to Koivu.
I would much rather have Koivu on our team than a 1st round choice from a cup contender (later rounds).

Secondly, I'd also rather have Koivu than Balej and a 2nd (or even Plekanec or Higgins). He is the player that has continuously had the biggest positive impact on our team. He is not washed up and is still producing a point per game and gives it his all every shift.

What's the deal with everyone always wanting to trade our veteran established players for kids?? We may not be a contender now, but in 3 years or so we may be since we do have one fo the youngest teams in the league right now. And when we do become a contender, I know that Saku is a guy that I want on our team.

Old
01-23-2006, 01:45 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
You mention injury prone every single time you breathe the name saku.....take a look at the number 1 centers of the NHL and find me one who has played 82 games 2 years in a row .

Enough with the injury prone BS . Saku is the heart of this team , He and Begin are the ONLY players who show up EVERY game ... Bulis and Bouillon could be mentioned as well

If players are to be traded I think we should be looking at the likes of Ribeiro , Sundstrom , Zednik who have all shown incredible laziness and brain farts
All the players are getting injury here and there . All the first centers around the league , yes ! but not a lot of them are prone as Koivu .

Koivu is missing an average of +- 30 games each seasons ;
So , stop to blind yourself ; Koivu IS VERY INJURY PRONE , compare to most of the players

Old
01-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
Let's not forget that Zidlicky is a UFA rentaplayer himself, though. Somebody we'll almost certainly be able to sign this summer, if we really want him, given that Nashville has so many good kids coming on D. So it's not really much different than just a prospect for Koivu. Good offer either way from nmk, enough to tempt, not enough to pull the trigger, IMO.

Mind you, if we pre-arranged with Saks that he'd re-sign with us in the summer...

Closed Thread