HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Secondary scoring issues? Psshaw, I say.

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Secondary scoring issues? Psshaw, I say.

Secondary scoring tonight was just awesome. But I want to key in on something here, check this out:

Mattias Ohlund (1 assist)/Brent Sopel (1 assist)
Marek Malik (1 assist)/Ed Jovanovski (1 goal)
Jiri Slegr (1 assist)/Sami Salo (1 goal, 1 assist)

WOW! Has this ever happened on the Canucks before? Every blueliner getting a point? This to me just shows how important our offensive blueliners are.

Markus Naslund (2 goals, 1 assist)/Brendan Morrison (2 goals, 2 assists)/Todd Bertuzzi (1 goal, 2 assists)

Daniel Sedin (1 goal, 3 assists)/Henrik Sedin (1 goal, 2 assists)/Jason King (2 goals, 1 assist)

Magnus Arvedson (0 goals, 1 assist)/Trevor Linden (1 goal, 2 assists)/Matt Cooke (2 goals, 1 assist)

Brad May (0 goals, 1 assist)/Artem Chubarov (1 goal, 1 assist)/Jarkko Ruutu (1 goal, 0 assists) (You could throw in Mike Keane, to be fair, who had 1 assist)

In all..

1st line - 5 goals
2nd line - 4 goals
3rd line - 3 goals
4th line - 2 goals

Then our defense - 4 goals!

Old
10-20-2003, 08:59 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Haven't we had the top scoring defense of the last two years?

Old
10-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Vman

I think our 2ndary scoring tonight was awesome but it was against a team that doesn't really check as much. The Canucks 2ndary scoring needs to come out more often against teams like Minnesota, St Louis and Detroit, etc, where it's harder to make nice tape to tape long range passes (which sometimes ends up as turnovers, but tonight I thought there wern't any) and usually there's less room to make plays and off the rush plays.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Castor Troy

The best thing to come out of this game I thought was the three goals generated by the Sedin line. If they can get that confidence in the early part of the season, I think we'll see a pretty good year from them.

Oh, and King was credited with an assist on salo's goal as well, so he finished the night with 1g, 2a, bringing his season totals to 2g, 2a. We don't want to be selling our rookie short

Old
10-21-2003, 01:32 AM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy
The best thing to come out of this game I thought was the three goals generated by the Sedin line. If they can get that confidence in the early part of the season, I think we'll see a pretty good year from them.

Oh, and King was credited with an assist on salo's goal as well, so he finished the night with 1g, 2a, bringing his season totals to 2g, 2a. We don't want to be selling our rookie short
who knows.. if King gets 50 pt. ( highly unlikely, but possible), maybe he will surprise many to be a legit Rookie of the Year contender! hehehehe

Old
10-21-2003, 05:47 AM
LaVal

tsn and hockeydb are reporting King has 2 goals and 2 assists. he must have had an assist added for the goal which resulted from his screen.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:50 AM
nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
tsn and hockeydb are reporting King has 2 goals and 2 assists. he must have had an assist added for the goal which resulted from his screen.
Yup it looks like officially they reviewed the goal and changed the assist, good night for Kinger.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Rageinthecage

While it would have been nice to trade for a veteran sniper in the offseason, I personally never thought secondary scoring was going to be too much of a problem. When you finish 1st one year in offense and in the top 3 the next, scoring isn't too much of a problem. There's teams with 50 point players as their scoring leaders elsewhere in the league. As mentioned above, we have the most potent defense core in the league as at least six of our seven rearguards are good at joining the rush or sneaking in from the point (Allen the exception). This obviously can lead to problems defensively with odd man rushes against, but I think the team is really committed to eliminating all the mental errors and lapses in judgement, and stick to solid team defense this year.

As far as the Sedins go, I'm incredibly impressed. It's still early in the season perhaps, but these two are displaying such poise and patience with the puck compared to previous seasons. Watching them work in these first few contests leads me to believe that they've finally arrived as bonafide NHL contributors. The lack of confidence and reluctance they've displayed in their first 3 seasons is gone. Adding to their already impressive hockey sense, two way play, stickhandling, playmaking skills, cycling, and overall intelligence, is a newly acquired potency in the offensive zone. Their skating is improved to the point of at least being average NHL speed (not breakout speed perhaps but definite quickness). The added strength from over the summer is so evident in how many battles for the puck in the corners they've been winning. Even their center of gravity or equilibrium has improved as I haven't noticed them falling all over the ice. Last but not least, Daniel is using his heavy and accurate shot regularly again for the first time since his rookie season. Now if Henrik could learn to shoot more. As far as I'm concerned the play of both twins isn't a short term situation, they should play with more consistency all year. There will be the odd lapses of confidence due to their young age still, but welcome our new 2nd line anchors.

King is a good fit obviously for the Sedin line (similiar average speed, strong in the corners, reads their style of play well, can finish their passes). He has to continue to work as hard as he has been to stick permanently in the NHL however, as the Buffalo game was so easy for him and is not an indication of the tight checking and lack of chances he'll normally see game to game. Although I should mention that the NHL in this day and age is so tight checking and restrictive on a regular basis, that even many so-called elite players are invisible for periods of time. I highly doubt King will end up as a rookie of the year candidate, but if he keeps up with this quick learning curve and classic late blooming syndrome, perhaps he will eventually in a few years be a solid, dependable, if not flashy, style of player in the Ciccarelli, Andreychuck, Robitaille, Hull type of mold. We can only dream.

Closed Thread