HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Steve Webb

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Gags1288

vCash: 500
Steve Webb

Steve has signed with the flyers today and I was wondering if you could answer a few questions with me. Will he make any impact with the flyers? Did he ever play with lapointe and if so, were they effective together. It is doubtful that the Webb will play when the flyers are healthy, but at this point, they're suffering through injuries and he could be a welcome addition. Also, how come the Isles didn't resign him?

Old
10-21-2003, 01:47 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Steve Webb is a marginal NHLer. He has few, if any, NHL-caliber talents, except for one: he is a solid bodychecker, a heavy hitter who is not hesitant to give up his body for the team. He is also smart, in that he will often draw opposing players into taking a frustration penalty against him, as they try to retaliate.

He is of value if used sparingly and in specific spots. A very good team like the Flyers can afford to carry him on a fourth line for select games, as a "change of pace" guy. Do not expect any points or frankly solid play away from the puck from him. He is a one-trick pony.

For a few seasons, he was terribly miscast as NYI's toughguy; that he is not. Won't shy away, but won't win any either.

Isles didn't re-sign him because: a) he likely priced himself out of their range; and b) they needed to open up roster spots for some young forwards like Hunter and Papineau.

A few NYI fans have bad-mouthed Webb since his departure; I tend to think those people are terribly ungrateful toward a very limited player who gave his all to the team.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:50 AM
Islanders4Cups

His sacrafices for the team were appreciated. His skills were not since he had very few.

Old
10-21-2003, 04:38 AM
NYIsles1*

I'm happy for Webb and wish him good luck. Wachovia center just became a tougher place to play if he plays in the NHL.

Webb's biggest drawback is that he could not hit consistently on a nightly basis and he could not take that game into an opposing arena and influence the outcome.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:49 AM
webb20

Say it aint so

Good luck to you Steve, and I hope we never see you in a game against us.

Hi to all, this is my first post.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:16 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb20
Say it aint so

Good luck to you Steve, and I hope we never see you in a game against us.

Hi to all, this is my first post.
Welcome Webb20, good to have you here.

I have done some early checking of the Philadelphia papers and their website and at least for the moment I cannot confirm this has happened.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:40 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Steve Webb is a marginal NHLer. He has few, if any, NHL-caliber talents, except for one: he is a solid bodychecker, a heavy hitter who is not hesitant to give up his body for the team. He is also smart, in that he will often draw opposing players into taking a frustration penalty against him, as they try to retaliate.

He is of value if used sparingly and in specific spots. A very good team like the Flyers can afford to carry him on a fourth line for select games, as a "change of pace" guy. Do not expect any points or frankly solid play away from the puck from him. He is a one-trick pony.

For a few seasons, he was terribly miscast as NYI's toughguy; that he is not. Won't shy away, but won't win any either.

Isles didn't re-sign him because: a) he likely priced himself out of their range; and b) they needed to open up roster spots for some young forwards like Hunter and Papineau.

A few NYI fans have bad-mouthed Webb since his departure; I tend to think those people are terribly ungrateful toward a very limited player who gave his all to the team.
Good breakdown Trottier.

I would add that another reason the NYI did not resign Webb was because they paid him more money for his injuries than to play on the ice. It was wasted money to pay 60-70% of 5 minute 4th liner's 650K salary for rehab.

Steve Webb does deserve considerable praise b/c he WALKED ONTO the NYI. Granted this was when the team was made up of Dave Archibald's, but he survived many seasons as the talent level of the team increased. The Isles out grew him and the limitations of his talent and healthy body.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:42 AM
blitzkriegs

Webb also had the 16-chain link t-shirt made up for the 2002 playoffs vs. TOR. I thought that was great team character for someone who knew that his playing time would be limited during the playoffs.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:59 AM
Isles_Goal

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Goal
I'm very dissappointed to see Webb in our division. You can be sure he will play all six games against us.

I was hoping he would end-up in the West Coast.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:46 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
I, for one, am very happy to see Webb signed with another team. He may not be the greatest player, but he's a truly nice guy and has a lot of character and is willing to do anything to help his team. I wish the best to Steve and hope he has a successful time in Philly...

~TL

Old
10-21-2003, 07:46 AM
CREW99AW

Webb20 welcome to the board.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Yes, let me extend my welcome to you, Webb20 to the boards!

Old
10-21-2003, 08:53 AM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Hi Webb20 and Welcome to Hockey's future.

As for the Webb Signing, no big deal.

I'm not bad mouthing Webb when I say I'm glad to see him gone. IMO he was a AHL player that stuck with some very bad Isles teams. There being no spot for him means we have players who can/should play at higher levels this year and have better depth. Good for the Isles but not for Steve.

Webb was a fan fav and great open ice hitter, but thats about it. He is poor both offensively and defensively. Not a big signing for the flyers.

Tiki

Old
10-21-2003, 12:09 PM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Welcome to the board Webb20!

I live in Philly and have not heard any mention of interest in or signing of Webb. While I would hate to see him play against the Isles, I'd love the chance to see him play more often - he is fun to watch when he is healthy and comes to play !

Old
10-22-2003, 05:07 AM
webb20

Thanks for the warm welcome

Old
10-22-2003, 05:51 AM
4CUPZ

vCash:
Still Havent Seen Confirmation Of Webb Signing ...maybe It Was Steve Trying To Get SOME Interest Going... But Webb20 Has More Talent Dont You Webby?

Old
10-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
This is my first post on this board, I use to post on the espn boards till that one went to hell.

Anyway best of luck to Webb (well in games that he doesn't play the Isles anyway). Webb had a ton of heart & will be missed, but as others have said he wasn't talented & the Isles just didn't have room for him. The young skilled guys such as Papineau, Hunter, Weinhandl (when he comes back) played a role in webb leaving, but I think Godard plaued a bigger role. You can't have 2 unskilled players on the ice at a time & thats what was going to happen if the Isles went with both, because they are both 4th line players. Webb may be a better hitter, although Godard can hit as shown by his hit on Tucker the other night and Webb is better as of now at getting under players skin & drawing penalties, Godard is the better fit. For one Godard is a tough guy that can fight, Webb is someone that would throw down, but he isn't that much better than Barnabyy at fighting. We do have other players that can fight (Asham, Weimer & Scatchard (who is hurt now), but Godard taks pressure off the other heavyweight in Cairns, in which Cairns can focus more on his defense then just being the teams heavyweight tough guy & its shown so ar this year as Cairns D has improved. Also the fact that Godard is much bigger than Webb and his body is more able to handle the battles for longer periods of time. Webb has shown although he is willing to really battle his body wouldn't let him do it on a consistant basis due to injuries.

Old
10-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Pittsburgh has him now, and he might play against NYI tonight. :p

Closed Thread