HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Alexander Wennberg

Old
12-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Xoggz22

vCash: 500
Wennberg's points matter as much as advanced stats for the team. The CBJ is winning, regardless of what the stats might indicate and part of that is the play of Wennberg who has been a very very good 200 ft player. I hope he scores 50 PP points. If we are drawing penalties and capitalizing that's a good thing...

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2016, 02:13 PM
DarkandStormy

^The advanced stats are now swinging in the positive direction for the CBJ, fwiw.

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2016, 04:37 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

I don't know about the stats but I do see they still have games in hand on the leaders and are right behind them. I have seen this team play some stinker periods, but mostly I have seen a ton of effort, good defense, great goal tending. This is a bit reminiscent of the New Jersey Devils when they were really good. I have my fingers crossed that the current play continues into the 2nd 3rd of the season. The montra of in it till Thanksgiving has given way to in it through the holidays. We shall see. Im actually hearing a lot of positive Jacket talk in Columbus. pinches self..

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Random Fun Thing To Contemplate:

We drafted Johansen in 2010. His breakout season was 2013-2014 - his third season.

We drafted Wennberg in 2013. This season - 2016-2017 - is his third season.

Probably not indicative of anything, but...

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2016, 09:25 PM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

We drafted Johansen in 2010. His breakout season was 2013-2014 - his third season.

Guess that means we're trading for Noah Hanifin in two years.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2016, 10:01 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:

It's almost like it takes time for guys to develop and find their game.

Old
12-03-2016, 09:15 PM
EXTRAS

Quote:

I prefer the stat that since Johansen has been traded on January 6th, 2016....

Wennberg 62gp 10g 36A 46P (this is 60 point pace)

Johansen 65gp 13g 37A 50p

Almost a perfect offensive replacement. And wennberg did that at 21/22 years old, while Johansen was 23/24 years old.

At that age 2 years should make a pretty big difference too.

EXTRAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 01:05 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

I see comparisons of Joey to Wennberg and think how strong we would be down the middle with both..

got to give to get... & I love Seth Jones

Werenski Jones
Johnson Savard
Murray Nutti

Is a very talented D core.. We had to strengthen our D

& Wenny just got the game tying goal tonight, beautiful thing

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 07:09 AM
Rufio035

Since we are strapped for cash, at this pace- how much is his next contract going to cost?

Rufio035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 11:53 AM
PanarinDangles9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg035 View Post
Since we are strapped for cash, at this pace- how much is his next contract going to cost?
I think if he gets a long term contract, it'll be similar to the one Victor Rask got (6yr, 25ish mill - very team friendly if production continues).

PanarinDangles9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 01:54 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDangles19 View Post
I think if he gets a long term contract, it'll be similar to the one Victor Rask got (6yr, 25ish mill - very team friendly if production continues).
Rask is a good comparable, IF he signs now. The timing is different if they sign at the end of the year, after Wennberg has piled in the points.

Rask signed before breaking out, and I think if they don't get Wennberg signed soon the price tag will go closer to $5m per.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2016, 02:42 PM
PanarinDangles9

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Rask is a good comparable, IF he signs now. The timing is different if they sign at the end of the year, after Wennberg has piled in the points.

Rask signed before breaking out, and I think if they don't get Wennberg signed soon the price tag will go closer to $5m per.
Even if management waits it out till after the season, a long-term 5MM contract is still pretty team-friendly

Old
12-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Nordic*

First 100% playmaking/passing, then starting to shoot and score.

He's following Bäckström's development, but seems to be ahead of where #21 was at the same age when it comes to using his shot.

If Dubois pans out, those can be a damn good #1 and #2 for the next decade.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2016, 10:23 AM
DarkandStormy

Why are we strapped for cash? We'll lose someone to the expansion draft (Jack Johnson?) and all our free agents make under $1m currently (Gagner, Wennberg, Anderson, Sedlak, and CMac walks). We only have $61.8m in committed salary cap hits next season, provided Clarkson is still on LTIR. Unless we acquire a massive salary this season (possible) we're looking at a total cap hit of under $70m next season.

Old
12-05-2016, 10:52 AM
PanarinDangles9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandStormy View Post
Why are we strapped for cash? We'll lose someone to the expansion draft (Jack Johnson?) and all our free agents make under $1m currently (Gagner, Wennberg, Anderson, Sedlak, and CMac walks). We only have $61.8m in committed salary cap hits next season, provided Clarkson is still on LTIR. Unless we acquire a massive salary this season (possible) we're looking at a total cap hit of under $70m next season.
I'm not terribly worried about our cap situation moving forward, especially with Clarkson most likely staying on LTIR for good.

There are two ways of thinking for Wennberg's next contract...

1) Lock up long-term to a team friendly deal, a la Victor Rask. I would venture to guess a 6 year deal with AAV of 4.25-5MM. Benefits include paying Wennberg under market value if he continues to improve and produce. Inherent downside is that it is a risk if he doesn't consistently play like a 1C we are hoping he is. Also, could make re-signing Murray, Jenner, Atkinson, Karlsson and even Werenski off his ELC a bit interesting.

2) Let Wennberg gamble on himself and sign a 2-year bridge like Jenner (2 years, <3M AAV). This would make the short-term re-signing of Karlsson, Murray, Jenner and Atkinson more conducive, but we could pay for it more in the long-term.

Personally, I'm in favor of option #1. Everything will work itself out with the other players mentioned.

Old
12-05-2016, 10:56 AM
DarkandStormy

Speaking of, how much is Jenner going to lose if he stays on his ~27-point pace this season? Woof.

Old
12-05-2016, 11:10 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

Quote:

1) Lock up long-term to a team friendly deal,

2) Let Wennberg gamble on himself and sign a 2-year bridge
I know there are differences, but I think the Wennberg contract will tell us a lot about the CBJ front office. For example;

I can see the similarities to RyJo after his ELC expired - shown great improvement but hasn't dominated from the outset {Werenski}. That would, on the surface suggest bridge.

But maybe the work ethic between the two players and the coach-ability suggest long term.

Don't know who Wennberg's agent is but pretty sure it isn't Kurt Overhart. Does that play into this?

Both are growing into #1 center roles as their ELC's come to a close. Do they see Wennberg with a higher ceiling now than Johansen had 2+ years ago.

When they signed Johnasen, they had Wennberg in the pipeline. When Wennberg's ELC ends, they will have PLD in the pipeline.

There are enough similarities to tell us something, but enough different that it might get a different process and result.

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2016, 01:26 PM
major major

Quote:
I'm not terribly worried about our cap situation moving forward, especially with Clarkson most likely staying on LTIR for good.

1) Lock up long-term to a team friendly deal, a la Victor Rask. I would venture to guess a 6 year deal with AAV of 4.25-5MM. Benefits include paying Wennberg under market value if he continues to improve and produce. Inherent downside is that it is a risk if he doesn't consistently play like a 1C we are hoping he is. Also, could make re-signing Murray, Jenner, Atkinson, Karlsson and even Werenski off his ELC a bit interesting.

2) Let Wennberg gamble on himself and sign a 2-year bridge like Jenner (2 years, <3M AAV). This would make the short-term re-signing of Karlsson, Murray, Jenner and Atkinson more conducive, but we could pay for it more in the long-term.

Personally, I'm in favor of option #1. Everything will work itself out with the other players mentioned.

I don't know if Wennberg will keep playing like a real #1C, but if he isn't that player he'll be a hell of a #2C.

What do real #1C's get paid? Usually more than $5m.
What do great #2C's get paid? Usually about $5m.

We want to squeeze every buck we can to make sure we fit everyone else in, but I think the risk level is low with Wenny.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2016, 04:34 PM
hardkorejackets

vCash: 678
I was a big Johansen fan, but I do believe the work-ethic and coachability is a bit different between him and Wennberg to be honest. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to offering a longer term deal to Wennberg in all honesty.

hardkorejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2016, 05:41 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

$5m x 6 yrs sounds about right, puts him in the Trocheck/Brassard/Nielsen contract range

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2016, 05:50 PM
HellasLEAF
Auston 20:16

Guys is Wenny THE present and future top line C for your CBJ?

Or just a very talented player that is succeeding because he is being given the opportunity..

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2016, 09:06 PM
We Want Two
Gameday Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post

Or just a very talented player that is succeeding because he is being given the opportunity..
Right now i'd say, both.

We Want Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:

I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility of PLD someday overtaking him, but at this point Wennberg's dug himself in and it's his job to lose, and he doesn't look like he's going to lose it anytime soon. He's been fantastic.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2016, 08:52 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

Quote:

All we CBJ fans heard about from the front office when he was drafted was what a super-charged micro processor he has in his brain to think the game, see the game, feel the game and anticipate the game.

When us fans began to get a look at him, what we saw was somebody who would occasionally make a good or cute pass, somebody who was afraid to shoot the puck, somebody who got pushed around in board battles and somebody who, on a good night, won 42% of his face offs. We didn't see the growth, the maturation, the development.

As a result, all we saw was a team that had Johansen, Anisimov and MacKenzie as the backbone of the lines, all leave the club in a matter of 14-18 months. While happy to have Seth Jones, all we say was a glaring hole.

Somebody has researched this and can tell you more accurately, but since the trade Johansen has 68 games played and is like 13-38-51. Wennberg has 62 games played and is like 10-13-41. Many think that it is easier to predict Johansen's ceiling since he is like 3 years older (6 years NHL). With Wennberg, given that this is his 3rd year of NHL, many are still wondering just what his ceiling could be.

Hope this helps.

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2016, 09:18 AM
DarkandStormy

In his last 77 games, he has 13-47-60. Yeah, I'd say he's a current #1 and I'd put his ceiling at Backstrom/Joe Thornton-lite.