HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Wennberg

Old
03-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogsbreakaway View Post
Hasn't produced as much lately.

Has the NHL grind gotten to him or just snake-bitten?
Neither. He's just plain not playing well. Doesn't feel like either of those things is an explanation for it.

Old
03-19-2017, 08:00 PM
major major

I don't think his play has changed that much. The issue with Wennberg is that he doesn't dictate goals. He plays well defensively, controls the puck well, and makes nice passes (none of that has changed). But if his linemates don't bury it, and Foligno and Saad haven't been, he doesn't pick up any assists. And he shoots once or twice per game so there's not much he can do by himself.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Cawlidge Hawkey
NCAA ** Juniors

How long is he expected to be out for? I've had him on my fantasy squad the entire season, but playoffs are here so I may need to drop him.

Cawlidge Hawkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:48 PM
detroit86
Winging it

That was a garbage hit and an even bigger garbage no-call on Saturday.

detroit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 CBJ View Post
He will not shoot the puck when he has an opening so the defenses just back off and play the pass. He has a good shot if he would just use it, and if he would shoot more it would open things up as well as create rebounds for others to score more.
Agreed.

He will either get over this deficiency or never get beyond 50 or so points per season.

Pass first, second and third doesn't work in the NHL long term. Wennberg's 97 SOG is the fourth least among the top 150 NHL scorers and two of the others have injury and low TOI as contributing reasons behind their low SOG totals.

Among forwards, Wennberg is 217th in SOG despite being 55th in TOI. Add in the fact that much of his time is on the PP and that makes that relationship even more striking.

Shoot, Alex. Shoot.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 03-20-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:56 PM
EDM

I don't often agree with CR. But he does have Wennie the Pooh nailed on his continuing and illogical refusal to shoot the puck.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I don't often agree with CR. But he does have Wennie the Pooh nailed on his continuing and illogical refusal to shoot the puck.
Broken clock.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Broken clock.

Whatever, Clownshoe.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 03-20-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old
03-21-2017, 11:27 AM
Arch City Zach

So, worst case scenario, he ends up a better Brassard? I'm ok with that, especially if you take Foligno off his line put Cam or Bjork up there with him.

Arch City Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 02:30 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City Zach View Post
So, worst case scenario, he ends up a better Brassard? I'm ok with that, especially if you take Foligno off his line put Cam or Bjork up there with him.
I'm ok with I think too --- if we add another center who can net a minimum 25 goals. Wennberg is a nice player - I'll take him over Brassard right now. But he has the skill to score more and maximize his talent.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 02:53 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
I suppose I agree with the idea of him shooting more, but I tend to think that about everyone. I'm of the older school camp where any shot is a good shot, but I do understand how goalies have changed.

I've no problem if he continues to play this way for a long time. I don't really understand any burning desire to get more goals out him. I don't feel like the team lacks in goal scoring and I imagine he'll develop into the type of guy that is simply more of a playmaker. Seems to have worked out for guys like Backstrom and Thornton.

Old
03-22-2017, 09:44 PM
WerenskiRules

This team has got to get Wennberg back before the playoffs, He is creating nothing these days

Had a wide open attempt tonight point blank and fanned on the shot

Will the real Alexander Wennberg please return soon

WerenskiRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2017, 08:40 AM
DarkandStormy

Wennberg...0-2-2 in his last 11 games. Guess he doesn't want to get paid this summer.

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandStormy View Post
Wennberg...0-2-2 in his last 11 games. Guess he doesn't want to get paid this summer.
I was just thinking that his slump may help in the CBJ cap situation the next few years...

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 11:47 AM
PanarinDangles9

He was invisible all night until overtime. We desperately need him to get back on track.

PanarinDangles9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 08:21 PM
CPTN71
NO SPIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I suppose I agree with the idea of him shooting more, but I tend to think that about everyone. I'm of the older school camp where any shot is a good shot, but I do understand how goalies have changed.

I've no problem if he continues to play this way for a long time. I don't really understand any burning desire to get more goals out him. I don't feel like the team lacks in goal scoring and I imagine he'll develop into the type of guy that is simply more of a playmaker. Seems to have worked out for guys like Backstrom and Thornton.
I don't disagree with if he keeps this up, he'll still be pretty good... I think for some on here its just the burning desire for ANYONE/SOMEONE to step up and start producing at this current time when our offense feels a bit stalled.

CPTN71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Hipster Letestu

He looks so passive sometimes and it's annoying. That shootout attempt last night just looked so lazy.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 12:07 AM
ndd17
Fire John Madden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Letestu View Post
He looks so passive sometimes and it's annoying. That shootout attempt last night just looked so lazy.
Syndrom of late Johansen?

ndd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 07:46 AM
EDM

How about this? He is a good but not great player. He is NOT worth the $ 6 million dollar a year contract as some on here have discussed. He is a good complementary player who needs other, very good to excellent good players on his team to support him. Kind of a Ryan Murray among forwards.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 08:32 AM
hardkorejackets

vCash: 678
Quote:
How about this? He is a good but not great player. He is NOT worth the $ 6 million dollar a year contract as some on here have discussed. He is a good complementary player who needs other, very good to excellent good players on his team to support him. Kind of a Ryan Murray among forwards.
I'd agree.. His play has really slowed down over the last couple of months in my opinion with the powerplay. He seems slightly more willing to shoot the puck this year, but i'm still not greatly impressed. He's a good skater, finds some good lanes... But, I don't think of him as a "driver" of a line.

That shootout attempt against Washington was just WEAK.

Of course, he gets signed to a contract.. But, I don't think he gets a long-term deal or near as much as many of us on here had previously speculated earlier this year. Much more affordable contract now.

hardkorejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Xoggz22

His recent lull doesn't change the fact he's going to be extended on a bridge deal.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardkorejackets View Post
I'd agree.. His play has really slowed down over the last couple of months in my opinion with the powerplay. He seems slightly more willing to shoot the puck this year, but i'm still not greatly impressed. He's a good skater, finds some good lanes... But, I don't think of him as a "driver" of a line.

That shootout attempt against Washington was just WEAK.

Of course, he gets signed to a contract.. But, I don't think he gets a long-term deal or near as much as many of us on here had previously speculated earlier this year. Much more affordable contract now.
I agree, and it makes me think they really will make a push for Duchene at the draft. I think if Wennberg had shown he was going to be a more assertive, top line player they wouldn't bother, but he hasn't. I think his ceiling is going to be someone like Plekanec, which is not a knock on him at all.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 11:28 AM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

vCash: 250
He's having a bad stretch games, it happens. If he performs well in the playoffs this will all be forgotten

WubbaLubbaDubDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Good point. Other than the Murray equivalency.

Wennberg is many times the player that Murray is or will ever be. He's currently tied for 40th in NHL scoring and was in the 20s not that long ago. That's the type of upside Murray can only dream of having (not in points-in overall defenseman performance).

There is no reason to not sign him to a bridge deal. He's done nothing to earn a long term $6 million/year deal.

Old
03-25-2017, 03:50 PM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

vCash: 250
Game winning goal going to the dirty areas

WubbaLubbaDubDub is offline   Reply With Quote